Respond to this Topic
Enlightened1
Enlightened1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 14:53:59 Reply

Dude Tom, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T GO CABLE! I have one and at rish hour I get speeds of 2K. Its horrible. I'm goin DSL.

sQuEeDeN
sQuEeDeN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 15:54:56 Reply

I'm pretty lucky, actually. I live in New Hampshire, in a rural area. There is only one other person within 2 miles that has Cable Modem service, so it's wicked fast. But the shit i heard about shared bandwith sounds like it sucks.

So, AT&T cable is better, most of the time. If you live in HickVille.

Cerberust
Cerberust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 16:42:38 Reply

DUDE we have awesome cable service in cincinnati, time warner sponsors "road runner" and ATT is in league with fuse.net and gives out zoomtown, i have zoomtown and its great, better then friends dsl and pretty cheap also, guess you just got screwed causeof the area you live in. HEHE im sure youll be fine so long as you dont get AOL, then you wouldnt be able to access your own site, cause steve case (aol owner) is a right wing religeous asshole and has everything blocked that he thinks inapropriate :):):) .

good luck with the move

UPDATE THE ALPHAS

heehee
Cerberust

PISSED OFF!!!

Dremen
Dremen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 17:02:21 Reply

I have Cable internet and Digital Cable. But I didn't have those problems (maybe cause I live in Canada). Of course Our cable company is Shaw... If you ever do get it, make sure to keep the Movie Central bunch, you won't even watch the rest. That's odd though. I live in a new house in a new area, up on a mountain, and cable was here right away. We just now got DSL access. The DSL box thingy is literally like 100 feet from my house. It would be damn fast. But Oh well, I am happy with cable. Well atleast when I don't get "Page not found" on pages which I know for a damn fact, can be found. Then I try refresh a bunch of times, and I get it to work on the 5th or 6th. Happends a lot with NG too... And that pisses me off cause this is my favourite site. But oh well, that's what you get living in America. Go Canada! My home and native land.
Arrivoui (I spelled that wrong. Oh well, I dont like French. That's why I took Japanese.)
Ja mata!

-Trev

PS. Today or tommorow, I should be submitting my new game: Bomberman Adventure. Look for it tommorrow. Well actually, It probably won't too hard to find. Try looking at: Today's Feature. Heh. You can find Bomberman Preview somewhere between #40-50 in last week's stuff. Sorry for that minor add. I'm just very excited about it. Holy fuck, this is a long PS. Why do I always do that!?

I drew all the animation (including this one). I don't steal.

PISSED OFF!!!

Qualarious
Qualarious
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 17:17:44 Reply

That sucks cause I wanted to switch to a cable modem but now I don't know, with these fucked up companies and all!

adrie
adrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 17:53:01 Reply

Yeah, I know what you mean. We just moved and it took Comcast two and a half weeks to get their asses out to our house and we live in downtown Indy. At least we got it, I guess.

untitled
untitled
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 18:11:22 Reply

At 7/20/01 01:14 PM, VOMIT2000 wrote:
At 7/20/01 10:41 AM, mrfixit wrote: Here in the Seattle area, we have to deal with the cheesedicks at AT&T. They're just as bad as your'e describing. I had the same problem, so I said FUCK'EM and went with DSL. Point in case: A friend used cable and now he's about to switch to DSL.
AMEN! Wow someone lives where I live.

I was shocked too.

DevinDOug
DevinDOug
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 19:20:25 Reply

Tom, maybe, before you post something on the internet, you should ask yourself a question:

'Who cares?'

hoozah-joe
hoozah-joe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 19:51:46 Reply

Comcast is the most ass-backwards company I have ever come across! I am moving in to a new apartment, and I have decided that instead of Direct TV and DSL (like we have set up here), I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

So I go to their website and type in my new zipcode. It lists both of those services as services in my area. Goody! My two options are to fill out a form so they can contact me, or call them. I called them, and their automated system asked for my zip code. After I entered it, the message said "We're sorry, we don't have a representative in your area! If you have any further questions or believe you got this message in error, please see our web site!"

I tried it again with a zip code for Center City Philadelphia, and still got the same message.

So I fill out the form on their site... And no one contacts me! Ross is also moving in to a new place, and he filled out the form like over a week ago.

I got exactly the same shit from them. The trick is though, to call, talk to any human being you can, pretend to be an "important businessman" who can't be bothered by this, and argue until they agree to send someone.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 20:30:54 Reply

At 7/20/01 07:20 PM, DevinDOug wrote: Tom, maybe, before you post something on the internet, you should ask yourself a question:

'Who cares?'

Apparently a lot of people - did you see how many first-time posters we got on this thread?

-Tom

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ShyGuyClock
ShyGuyClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 20:46:00 Reply

I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

too bad you live there and not in central new york. time warner has digital cable and cable internet and they care about their customers.
ShyGuyClock
ShyGuyClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 21:03:43 Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

damn i dont no how to make these work right! well anyway after reading all the messages it seems like cable is great in rural areas but sucks in cities, or sumthin. anyway, roadrunner, which is what i have, supplied by time warner works very well for me, although it does shut down without reason from time to time.

TheKingofIsreal
TheKingofIsreal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 21:54:29 Reply

Man, I can sympathize deeply with your dilemma. A similar thing happened to me back in February. I'm from Canada and the largest supplier of DSL in the country, Sympatico by name, pulled the same crap on me that happened to you. I went to their poorly designed website and after much searching found the postal code search area to see if DSL was available where I live. Well, 'lo and behold, they say I was, so I fill out an online registration form to get that stuff hooked up ASAP. I get my hardware promptly mailed to my house and get it all hooked up and the software installed and start the waiting process of having my service initialized. After over a week of waiting I place a phone call to the company. They tell me to check all the stuff on my end, to make sure I'm not a moron. Well, I'm not and everything was hooked up properly. They tell me to wait a bit longer to allow for initialization. Well, to make an already long story somewhat shorter, I call back later, and after sitting on hold on and off for over an hour they finally figure out that their service is not available in my area, and quickly ask that I send their hardware back ASAP. No apology, no explanation of how it happened and no information on when it will be available.

To this day I still have all of their hardware and software and do not plan on getting it back. There is also currently a new DSL service in town and cable is also growing here as well. So, just as you, I will not be going back to this company but will be patiently waiting for their competitors instead. So screw you large corporations and your uncaring attitudes towards the customers that made you big and can help make you bigger.

Thanks for the oppurtunity to finally vent that situation of mine, kept it bottled up for a few months.

warlock788
warlock788
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 22:04:08 Reply

Cable Modem is more reliable, faster, cheaper, and broadband. DSL on the other hand is dialup therefor making it subject to more bandwidth fluxuation. Your best bet would to be to go with cable modem even if you have to fight the company to get it, and if you cant go with a different provider if possible.

But if you do go with DSL make it SDSL. The reason is ADSL is cheaper, but your upload speeds are slower than download speeds. With SDSL you get better performance as well as equal up load and download speeds.

But only get DSL if you run out of cable modem options.

BDaiber
BDaiber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 22:45:09 Reply

I have some info for you that will hopefully help. I live prolly within a 50 mile radius of you, and comcast is running these commercials about having stuff hooked up for you before you move in. There is a # that runs on the commercial that you call and they will hook you up before you move in. If I see the commercial I will send you the #. Also, in my experience with cable modems, the more people watching TV in your area, the slower your connection will be. It might be that way only in my neighborhood, but I know that is how it works here. And in case you haven't figured it out, sat. did stand for Satellite. I work at Circuit City in the Computer department, and our high end Satellite offers internet connection. I know that the connection is fast, I just don't know how fast it is. It is available to everyone. The only major problem is..... the only service I know of that supports it is ::gasp:: AOL!! :( Oh well. Hope that helped.

Beijixiong
Beijixiong
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-20 22:57:38 Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response.

Comcast is the most ass-backwards company I have ever come across! I am moving in to a new apartment, and I have decided that instead of Direct TV and DSL (like we have set up here), I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

So I go to their website and type in my new zipcode. It lists both of those services as services in my area. Goody! My two options are to fill out a form so they can contact me, or call them. I called them, and their automated system asked for my zip code. After I entered it, the message said "We're sorry, we don't have a representative in your area! If you have any further questions or believe you got this message in error, please see our web site!"

I tried it again with a zip code for Center City Philadelphia, and still got the same message.

So I fill out the form on their site... And no one contacts me! Ross is also moving in to a new place, and he filled out the form like over a week ago.

How the hell is Cable Modem beating DSL when these jokers don't even try to sell their own product?! It is like they are saying to me, "We are too busy to be bothered. Just get DSL and Direct TV."

If Comcast does anything to change my opinion of them, I will surely let everyone know about it! Otherwise, I guess their competitors are getting my business!

I live in Brookline Massachusetts anfd waited for 5 years for Cablevision to provide cable model service only to get form mail about evaluation trials in New York City. Later they pulled out entirely from New England but not before I expressed my complete contempt by paying last month's bill in pennies. They then sicced the debt collectors on me a debt that I now consider a badge of honor.

I then bought a DirectTV pizza box dish until RCN provided service to the Brookline area. I am a hockey fan and couldn't get the away games since they were broadcast only on the local UHF channel 38. DirectTV did provide local network channels only. From other posts I now find out that DirectTV is owned by Microshit so even if their policy was changed I would not do business with them again

RCN itself does not provide static IP addresses so they are useless for selfhosting

I use Internetconnect and am pretty much satisfied with the service. I had no horror stories about installation

I recommend that you find a local DSL provider that
meets your needs

SqiToLz
SqiToLz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 04:01:49 Reply

What is "sat"? Is Satellite internet access available?

DSL is also a bitch to get installed, so I should take that into account.

-Tom

Yea Tom Sat is Satellite internet access. You can get it from Direct Tv or Dish Network. It says it's faster then cable and DSL but they could be lying. The good thing about having Satellite internet access is it goes with the satellite Tv. So you kinda pay more but get two things in one.

-SqiToLz-

Avander
Avander
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 05:15:42 Reply

Altogether, I'm sick of putting up with conglomorate companies and their unhelpful automated phone hotlines, helplines, and less-than-stellar repair staff.

I have cable modem, ok. Much better than DSL might i add, which my buddy down the street has, on a much better system than my own, which makes his internet run about 1/3 the speed of this one.

anyhoo, sometimes, even cable goes down, and here in Calgary, Alberta... Shaw@Home provides the cable modem and cable TV, including digital cable.

As i found out, digital cable provided by Shaw is more likely to crash than a space shuttle made by drunk mexicans.

Cable modems are still better, but make sure you get them from a decent provider, because when they do crash, decent providers can fix the problem in under 30 mins, however, here we have to wait upwards of 6 hours, with on and off service....

bleh.

== Avander

PISSED OFF!!!

MakenshiLeo
MakenshiLeo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 08:30:14 Reply

I remember Cox Cable's move to do the digital cable/Roadrunner thing here in Florida. They've been pushing to sell it, but when people have problems, it seems like all of the customer service people magically disappear into a dark corner of the Abyss. I'm going to end up just getting DSL too.

LeoGeo2
LeoGeo2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 09:05:41 Reply

i use a cable modem and i could tell you how to connect it too. if you could find a Comcast place near where you live, order it from there. but anyway, the Cable Modem isn't cheaper then DSL. I'm using it and it's sucking up my Cable bills to like $250-$300. it's shit. and sometimes, a 28.8k modem goes faster! other times the Cable modem would probably go to like about like 1MB per second. it happens alot with mine. anyway, stay with the DSL.

Nzokuken
Nzokuken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 09:23:03 Reply

Don't do it man. Stay away from cable and comcast. Comcast is the worst internet service I've ever had.... oh forgot about aol, ok the second worst. Download speeds are crap(for what you should be getting) and everytime you have a problem with your service they claim there is something wrong with your computer.

Also the people who install it do it the cheapestest way possible. They had me setup on an 8-way spliter with no terminators on the unused ends. Also I say stay with DSL cause all my friends that have DSL or ADSL get download speed that blow mine away.

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response.

How the hell is Cable Modem beating DSL when these jokers don't even try to sell their own product?! It is like they are saying to me, "We are too busy to be bothered. Just get DSL and Direct TV."

If Comcast does anything to change my opinion of them, I will surely let everyone know about it! Otherwise, I guess their competitors are getting my business!
shroud2k
shroud2k
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 14:30:25 Reply

hey tom to bad about the whole comcast thing they sound like a right bunch of assholes i suggest that u make an assasin mission about destroying the comcast headquarters comcast is more like crapcast ha ha see ya from ross in the U.K.

DevinDOug
DevinDOug
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 14:46:08 Reply

I am sorry, Tom.

Your legions of adoring newgrounders hath proved me wrong.

EmperorIX
EmperorIX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 15:10:03 Reply

My cable crashed last week and it was down for about 4 days so AT&T's no better

PISSED OFF!!!

SolarKS
SolarKS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 16:15:36 Reply

you got your attention.

GiR
GiR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 16:29:12 Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Let us know for sure!! God.. that sucks how stupid the company is. grrrrr... Kick their asses Tom! jk....

Cerberust
Cerberust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 16:32:53 Reply

Tom maybe you could get a T1 ? i here its available in some places, in cinci our university has a direct backbone to the internet and students can sign up for """bearcat online""" and have a T1 connection right at home, maybe you could do something like that?

Z-Nut
Z-Nut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 17:08:00 Reply

yeah well be glad you dont have a cable modem and digital cable i live in charlotte and we get our cable service from time warner and trust me on this they are worse than comcast first off my cable modem goes out every other day oh and the digital cable that works fine until you want to oreder something like a wwf ppv then the whole thing goes ape shit and you dont get what you oredered oh and to prove my point that time warner does indeed suck guess who owns them thats right AOL and we all know how unreliable they are so be extrememly happy you dont have those services it may cost a little more but in my honest opinion dsl and direct tv beat the ever lovin crap outa cable

Infernus
Infernus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-21 22:09:04 Reply

I just want everyone to check this out, in the light of mickey.. that's even worste
www.supergreg.com
this is DA man

Silentsmurf
Silentsmurf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! 2001-07-22 06:19:13 Reply

Comcast has you by the balls livin in Philly. RCN tried to come to town, but was shot down by City Council. Guess that's what happens when the cable company owns 2 out of 4 major sports teams in town. How do you play Monopoly?