TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:07 AM Reply

Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response.

Comcast is the most ass-backwards company I have ever come across! I am moving in to a new apartment, and I have decided that instead of Direct TV and DSL (like we have set up here), I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

So I go to their website and type in my new zipcode. It lists both of those services as services in my area. Goody! My two options are to fill out a form so they can contact me, or call them. I called them, and their automated system asked for my zip code. After I entered it, the message said "We're sorry, we don't have a representative in your area! If you have any further questions or believe you got this message in error, please see our web site!"

I tried it again with a zip code for Center City Philadelphia, and still got the same message.

So I fill out the form on their site... And no one contacts me! Ross is also moving in to a new place, and he filled out the form like over a week ago.

How the hell is Cable Modem beating DSL when these jokers don't even try to sell their own product?! It is like they are saying to me, "We are too busy to be bothered. Just get DSL and Direct TV."

If Comcast does anything to change my opinion of them, I will surely let everyone know about it! Otherwise, I guess their competitors are getting my business!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
eggatron
eggatron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:31 AM Reply

The same thing happened to me last year (different company though). I went to the atlantic telecom website and filled in the form to get a cable line put in and a week later I got an email saying that this sevrvice wasn't available at all (pretty fucking stupid having it on their site then), so I then decided to get DSL (no other cable companies in my area), off I go to the BT website, "yay" I think as I type in my postcode and find that DSL is aavilable in my area, I fill in the form and: "Sorry BT are unable to offer ADSL in your area at this time, please check back later".

It's kinda annoying really. Good luck with whatever happens, it could be worse, you could be stuck with shitty dial-up like me :)

PISSED OFF!!!

BBS Signature
Hinarf
Hinarf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:32 AM Reply

Im plutonic....i love you. ATTACK OF THE HINARF
Yeah cablevision does that up here to. Well sorta the opposite actually. They removed 3 hbo's so people would buy digital cable, along with someother channels. I just quit watching tv alltogether cause i threw it out the window. WASSA! Hoozo!

STink up the pINK

hoagiejones
hoagiejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:38 AM Reply

Same thing happened to me yesterday Ring* ring* HI, i would like to change my DSL line, i just moved and I would like to have it changed...the guy says, sure it will be hooked up immediately, .......next day...not hooked up, call them again, we don't have it in your area...
I oughta smack you upside the head pals...

lucidox
lucidox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 03:45 AM Reply

I too have had problems with Comcast. One day I couldnt seem to connect with my cable modem so i called their customer support number...waited for about 10 minutes until someone picks up. I explained what was wrong and they told me I had called the wrong department and hung up on me. So I called back again...waited for 10 minutes until someone picked up only to find out that it was the wrong department again. This time they told me that their internet service department was not accepting any calls and that there was some problem with accepting user names. I couldnt get on for the whole day.

SqiToLz
SqiToLz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 04:08 AM Reply

I too have had the same bullshit but with all three internet providers. With DSL they say that they have it in my area. When I called them they said that they would contact me on the time and date they would install my DSL. About 3 days later the fags call me and tell me that the service is not available. This made me pissed. So I decided to just go with Roadrunner Cable. Roadrunner Cable has been saying that they have had service in my area for months. I call them they also say that they have it. Two days later they say they can't install it. So I went to comcast who also tells me that I can get it on their web site so I call them. And Guess what... They also can not give me Cable. So here I am. With Starpower internet access. It's great having 56Gay when everyone
outside your neighborhood has cable,dsl, and sat.

DSL and Cable Suxors.
SqiToLz

SONIClock
SONIClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 05:04 AM Reply

Damn The Man.

Mike27112
Mike27112
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 05:09 AM Reply

Hrmmm...I feel your pain, Tom. Broadband internet service is still really shitty at certain times and in certain areas. There are a lot of times when cable modem providers or DSL companies just suck at doing business. It ticks me off when my cable modem provider suddenly decides to do some tinkering with the network and I can't get any internet access at 3am...dammit, how am I supposed to do anything without the internet?!?!? Hell, at least we don't use AOL.

REZN8
REZN8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 06:27 AM Reply

Too bad you don't have Road Runner in your area. I've been hooked up with them for a year now and have gotten no problems yet! =)

Daedo-The-Mofo
Daedo-The-Mofo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 08:46 AM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:31 AM, Eggatron wrote: The same thing happened to me last year (different company though). I went to the atlantic telecom website and filled in the form to get a cable line put in and a week later I got an email saying that this sevrvice wasn't available at all (pretty fucking stupid having it on their site then), so I then decided to get DSL (no other cable companies in my area), off I go to the BT website, "yay" I think as I type in my postcode and find that DSL is aavilable in my area, I fill in the form and: "Sorry BT are unable to offer ADSL in your area at this time, please check back later".

It's kinda annoying really. Good luck with whatever happens, it could be worse, you could be stuck with shitty dial-up like me :)

Hey Eggatron, same thing happened to me. It's BT Anytime I use just now with my shitty 56k and checked the website for upgrade availability in my area(Stirling) Yey, I thought. It's available. Then they turn around and tell me that it isn't. So I'm still on 56k.... I think they're just screwing us Scot's about!

YoinK
YoinK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Game Developer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 09:07 AM Reply

Tom,

Instead of doing all of this online... you should call up your local cable company. They can do the job. Either look in a phone book or try and find a cable tv comercial on your tv.

There are other ways of getting this stuff other than by online.

PISSED OFF!!!

Kanye West Did What??????
They should make a black guy the manager, they know how to run shit!
2 Girls 1 Cup .... THE SONG!!!!

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 09:47 AM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:31 AM, Eggatron wrote: It's kinda annoying really. Good luck with whatever happens, it could be worse, you could be stuck with shitty dial-up like me :)

It's quite possible that I WILL end up with shitty dial-up! Then again, Newgrounds runs so slow that it probably wouldn't make a difference. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 7/20/01 04:08 AM, SqiToLz wrote:

... They also can not give me Cable. So here I am. With Starpower internet access. It's great having 56Gay when everyone

outside your neighborhood has cable,dsl, and sat.

DSL and Cable Suxors.
SqiToLz

What is "sat"? Is Satellite internet access available?

DSL is also a bitch to get installed, so I should take that into account.

-Tom

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 09:51 AM Reply

At 7/20/01 09:07 AM, tazzmission wrote: Tom,

Instead of doing all of this online... you should call up your local cable company. They can do the job. Either look in a phone book or try and find a cable tv comercial on your tv.

I guess I'll give that a try. I should wait until I have the keys to my new place, anyway. :)

-Tom

BBS Signature
sQuEeDeN
sQuEeDeN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 10:11 AM Reply

Yeah, I had something that REALLY pissed me off happen a little while ago.
I rented my modem from Mediaone Roadrunner. They got bought out by ATree&Tree. Soon after that, I got a "buy your own modem" offer, saving me 10 bucks a month and a good 20% off a modem. Great, I thought. So the shiny new modem comes, and I fill out the form to have it activated. This is supposed to de-activate the old modem. After 4 days, it was still working, and the new one didn't work. Ok, I thought, they must have mis-read the form and activated the wrong modem.
I call their tech support, which entails about a 45 minute wait, and have them activate the new modem. Nothing happens. Old modem still works. Next week, call again. Get competent guy. Old modem dies right away. New modem will not work. I have him re-activate old modem.
I call manufacturer to return it. They insist that I troubleshoot the modem first (ok, that's fair...), but MODEM IS NOT ACTIVATED. Have to call up AT&T again, wait 45 mins, just to activate the damn modem. Call manufacturer, wait only 5 mins, and go to tech support. No, we can't let you return it, modem is good. Oh wait, do you have any filters on the line? Oh, you don't get TV, only Data? Oh, that's probably the problem.
Call AT&T again. They finally acknoledge that there are some filters that may affect line quality. They chose the old brand of modem because it had low sensitivity to those filters. (so why did you offer me the new one?) Go through conversation, discussing costs of removing filters, etc. Find out that if I don't get the modem to work after the filters are removed, then I will be charged for a service call.
That's it. I return the modem, and try to end this bullshit.
Motorola insists that I try one more time, so they offer to replace the modem for free. That means, when the new one comes, I'll have to go through this shit AGAIN!

Sorry for such a long post, but I had to get it out of me.

--C.

EvilGeishaWoman
EvilGeishaWoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 10:22 AM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote:
If Comcast does anything to change my opinion of them, I will surely let everyone know about it! Otherwise, I guess their competitors are getting my business!

That really sucks, Tom. Screw them, go to their competition for it. Maybe they can do a better job than those pig-fuckers!

PISSED OFF!!!

mrfixit
mrfixit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 10:41 AM Reply

Here in the Seattle area, we have to deal with the cheesedicks at AT&T. They're just as bad as your'e describing. I had the same problem, so I said FUCK'EM and went with DSL. Point in case: A friend used cable and now he's about to switch to DSL.

Qeron
Qeron
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 10:49 AM Reply

Thats bull if i were you i wouldnt worry about it just get the DSL and direct tv. that happens to me all the time. we tried to get that A1 satellite(the the thingy with the fat ass guy talking really fast) and they said they couldnt get to us and when we went on the site they said they could. we got warner so it doesnt matter now and 2 things off topic. HOT TOPIC RULES and chelle on the webcams looks just like katie holmes (If you dont know who that i dun like you. My sis watches it so i know who she is. its joey on dawsons creek)

nicksokach
nicksokach
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 12:14 PM Reply

TOTAL BULLSHIT! I had the same kind of problems with my cable company. I called them to ask if it was available in my area and they said it was and gave me another number to call to get it setup. I called that number and they told me it wasn't available in my area yet. They said to call back in a couple weeks. So I do, and then someone else says that it will never be available in my area. So then I asked to speak to their supperior, and I got that bullshit straigtened up and got them to update their computers (it was available in my area). So they set it up and do a bad job doing it. Anywho, once it was hooked up my connection speed was only 7k/s. TOTAL BULLSHIT. They didn't set it up right, so I was on the phone for 4 hours trying to get some guy to tell me over the phone how to fix it, and he's getting pissed off at ME cause it's not working (like it's my fault). Then he tells me that they'll send a guy over to fix it, and they'll have to charge ME for the survice. Total bullshit! So I talked to his superior. So then they say they'll call me back the next day... a WEEK goes by without hearing from them. So I call again, and so forth. Anywho, after they came and got it fixed i had had it installed for a month without it working properly, and get this... They charged me for that month! True story that happened to me from the ASSHOLES at Cogeco! They were pissed at me for calling so much, like they didn't want my business!

So, in closing, I know how you feel!

Nick

DishboyG
DishboyG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 12:26 PM Reply

Dudes cable companies are communist i think they have a plot to take over the world! Like how AOL (communist) and Time Warner (communist) merged together that's fucking communist all the way! The big time cable and cable internet service companies are communist! Just go with the shit Direct Tv :) (non communist) and DSL (non communist)!!! Don't help the commi bastards take over the world boycott cable!!!

Synical99
Synical99
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 01:04 PM Reply

Cable is simply not an option to people. I have a cable modem, and have had it since 1999 methinks. For the first - what, 3 months? - it was great. Then too many people got it, and it slowed down to the point of a funcow.com connection while there's a fuckin' twister. Stick with the DSL man, trust me on that. Don't get sucked into the place I am.

It's cold in here and I'm hungry.

Ben-Spurgin
Ben-Spurgin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 01:10 PM Reply

I don't even want to talk about how much grief I have gotten over my cable modems in the past. One of my funnest things to do in Alaska was take the shotgun out, but up my AT&T bill and blow the shit out of it.
But now I'd eat noodles before I'd give it up. I'd live in a dumpster as long as it had a cable jack. It's worth the grief, hang in there!

PISSED OFF!!!

Ben-Spurgin
Ben-Spurgin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 01:14 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 10:41 AM, mrfixit wrote: Here in the Seattle area, we have to deal with the cheesedicks at AT&T. They're just as bad as your'e describing. I had the same problem, so I said FUCK'EM and went with DSL. Point in case: A friend used cable and now he's about to switch to DSL.

AMEN! Wow someone lives where I live.

PISSED OFF!!!

Tripps
Tripps
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 01:19 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: a bunch of stuff that

you know your options are now,

A. keep dsl and direct tv, resulting in more expenses and less death and carnage

B. Go to the head quarters of the place, armed with a lot of pipe bombs, three shotguns and a assault riffle, i didnt spell rifle right but thats not important. hahaha riffle, anyway kill as many people as you can then doop the rest in drinking kool aid with bleach in it., then keep dsl and avoid police,

c. plan c was pretty much plan b, only now you steal a car and two fine bitches to go along with it

plan d. i shut up and let you go on with your buisness

plan e, trade wade for a cable modem

i could go on like this for a day but im not

MrCongeniality
MrCongeniality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:05 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response.

Comcast is the most ass-backwards company I have ever come across! I am moving in to a new apartment, and I have decided that instead of Direct TV and DSL (like we have set up here), I am going to switch to Digital Cable and Cable Modem (cheaper and easier, right?). I have to get both of these from Comcast.

So I go to their website and type in my new zipcode. It lists both of those services as services in my area. Goody! My two options are to fill out a form so they can contact me, or call them. I called them, and their automated system asked for my zip code. After I entered it, the message said "We're sorry, we don't have a representative in your area! If you have any further questions or believe you got this message in error, please see our web site!"

I tried it again with a zip code for Center City Philadelphia, and still got the same message.

So I fill out the form on their site... And no one contacts me! Ross is also moving in to a new place, and he filled out the form like over a week ago.

How the hell is Cable Modem beating DSL when these jokers don't even try to sell their own product?! It is like they are saying to me, "We are too busy to be bothered. Just get DSL and Direct TV."

That fucking sucks. I've been asking my dad to call AT&T and ask them to upgrade us to broadband but they said "Our maps say there is no estimated time when they will come and upgrade you." Pissed I am too, they I have upgraded most of my area, my in-laws, my sister, and a lot of people I know so that's a big chunk of the city. Are they saving us for last? Just like you said: "We are too busy to be bothered. Just get DSL and Direct TV."
And we might even do that.
but DSL is to expensive, and direct TV is like only avalible for one TV in the house. (Or thats what I heard)
I know how you would feel. Except I'm not moving. Hope everything works out for ya.

Twitter / Tumblr / < - Mr. C (Since June 7th, 2001)

BBS Signature
krog69
krog69
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response.

Yeah, thats pretty stupid of them. What a dumbass company. I shure would be pissed off too if that happened to me.

Necro2k1
Necro2k1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 09:50 AM, TomFulp wrote: DSL is also a bitch to get installed, so I should take that into account.

-Tom

errr tom DSL is very easy to hook up. I did it myself. well mine was USB port but still it shouldnt be a problem. Look into bellsouth DSL. it works great and VERY easy to install. shouldnt take u more then 10 minutes.

vdibv
vdibv
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:25 PM Reply

That sucks! MSN is screwing up for me....a lot!

computerimpaired
computerimpaired
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:49 PM Reply

I live in Topeka, KS and Roadrunner sucks here too! We got it when my boyfriend and I moved in together and for the first month it was great but then it would disconnect us for absolutely no reason and we wouldn't be able to connect again for hours. I called them, sat on the line with tech for about 45 minutes, got it fixed. Then like 2 days later it started screwing up again. I called tech again and this time they sent someone out the next day. The guy gets out here, looks at one thing and tells us it's testing and that's why we're having problems with it. It works for another week. Then starts messing up again. I call again. This time they actually sent someone out here that actually knows his butt from a whole in the ground and this time the actually fixed it. I got 5 whole dollars off my next bill. Woohoo! That's my end of my troubles with Roadrunner, but don't even get me started on Direct TV. :)

Septimus
Septimus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to PISSED OFF!!! Jul. 20th, 2001 @ 02:50 PM Reply

At 7/20/01 02:07 AM, TomFulp wrote: Time for some public venting in the hopes of getting a response. (snip)

More proof that cable companies are truly evil...

Don't bother getting a cable modem, they aren't that great. More people who have cable modems in an area, means less available bandwidth to each individual. Also there is that whole pesky chance that your neighbors can see what you are doing on-line and read your e-mail and the like.

Go to www.dslreports.com- they have listings and reviews for companies, you can save yourself a lot of heartache by looking there first to aviod bad companies. They also have reviews for cablemodem and satellite companies. Most of the problem with installing a DSL is on the part of the local phone company- Verizon is really bad in that respect.

As for DirectTV, sure they are owned by McRoSoft, but that is slightly less evil than your average cable company.

-Septy.

PS. AT&T Cable sucks.