New Topic Respond to this Topic
MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 00:49:40 Reply

I've been trying to learn how to do some new things, and i'm honestly stumped. I asked much earlier a couple months ago how to do DnB in general (of which the song was tragic failure) but now i'm much more interested in the percussion groove (which is like 70% of a DnB song? DRUM and Bass yes?).

Do you slice up existing percussion beats? Arrange a basic 4x4 beat then throw claps/kicks/reversed shit all over it? I remember from the previous experiment that all samples should be as dry as possible.

Guide me Newgroundians, how do I start this? What is your method?

DimTheoryX9-777
DimTheoryX9-777
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 01:08:28 Reply

Find a cool beat. cut out the break. attempt to copy it. do this 4 or five times with different awesome breaks, and you will gain an incredibly deep understanding of the elements involved.

your goal is to recreate them as close as possible

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 01:14:47 Reply

Well, I'm a drummer, so writing rhythms is something I usually spend no time on what so ever, granted I have a few tips that might help you out here.

- Tabs. If there's a song you really like the beat to, don't be afraid to look up the tabs and emulate them. The entire dance music scene has been perpetuating the same rhythms for decades now. Who cares if you look up a tab and copy the beat. I'll tell you who: no one. If they do care, they're fucking stupid. Worry more about getting a good drum kit together. It's harder to get a good kit than a good rhythm.

-Effects! Try throwing some reverb on the hats if you need them to take up a little extra space. Some distortion can help make those hats a little more potent. A really good way to to write rhythms with out actually writing them is to get two or three hi hats. Have one hi hat with delay on it and accent whatever you feel like with the second hat. Instant dynamics! woooo!

- A kick on the one, a snare on the two and four and a hi hat for every number 1-4. There's the skeleton to a good rhythm. Now fill in the blanks :3

- Rests make for excellent dynamic situations. Try to have just a kick fill the space on the one, then have all the instruments come in on two. Or have the drums rest at the beginning/ end of a measure. Experiment with them. I find that a reverse cymbal leading up to a rest helps accent the silence, as will a normal crash when the groove returns.

-16th notes. Hi hats. Not everywhere, but in some places. you can be kind of random with them. No one will notice/care.

- If you're interested in more experimental breaks, listen to other artists and just try to emulate them. There's nothing out there that hasn't already been done rhythmically, so just try not to think of originality. Again, find tabs.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 01:27:30 Reply

Epic stuff thar guys, especially you Quarl, I <3 you.

I have seen some beat slicer VST's about? From what I understand these things take existing beats and murder it with fire and spitting out terrible, terrible yet awesome beats. Does anybody use such programs? If so do they really come in useful?

I'm going to become a sample junkie nao aren't I?
S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 02:11:52 Reply

To top off Quarl's superb advice, layering is really important. I think creating your own rhythms with just one hit samples is good, and usually top it off with a break loop (or two), if its just the break, commonly it will sound too choppy, and without the break, sometimes it hards to get a dynamic groove.

Really, I just wanted to say how awesome it would be to combine DnB beats and your orchestral style, Maestro ;D

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

MaestroRage
MaestroRage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 02:18:45 Reply

At 3/23/09 02:11 AM, S3C wrote: Really, I just wanted to say how awesome it would be to combine DnB beats and your orchestral style, Maestro ;D

I'm on it S3C, for serious ;D! I want to try and explore an entire new venue of Epic. DnO for Drums and Orchestra baby >:c!!!

When you say break you mean within the beat right? Like if we had the 16 boxes on FL

[x] [x] [x] [x] | [ ] [x] [x] [x] | [x] [x] [x] [x] | [x] [x] [x] [x]

That fifth box is the break?

I'm currently finding it hard to build the beat. I mean I have the 4x4 beat down, basic kick and hi hat whateva, and then trying to build on that just doesn't sound right, it's missing an element. Do you guys find layering one type of sound before another helps? As in, do you put down the snares crisp sounds first, then the crashes, then the hi hats, etc etc?

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 02:23:21 Reply

There's multiple ways to create a drum loop. First, you can simply load in an existing drum loop.There's indeed slicer VSTs out there which 'slice' up the loop. If you use FL Studio, there's FL Slicer. The best way to get a beat sounding like you want it to sound is to make like 20 sample channels and try making up a beat out them yourself. Start off by beatboxing or something, anything that will give you the feeling of 'hey, I could use that'.

I'd say start off by slicing an existing beat. Some slicers will screw the loop up and give you nothing, while others might be sliced up perfectly. That more or less depends on the amount of effects such as a phaser are used in a drum loop. Using one sample per channel is the hard way, but it gives you freedom. You can use effects on each individual sample, creating 'the' perfect sound for your track. There are plenty of tutorials on Youtube to look at, that's pretty much the best way to start with.

This tutorial uses a slicer to get beats:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOiexfpZr WI&feature=channel_page

This tutorial uses individual samples to get a beat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIFpTI7_
A8&feature=channel_page

That's pretty much all I know. Don't be afraid to throw in an extra snare drum or something, it might work out beautifully. ;)

Have fun producing, hope I helped!

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

S3C
S3C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 02:31:11 Reply

At 3/23/09 02:18 AM, MaestroRage wrote:
At 3/23/09 02:11 AM, S3C wrote: Really, I just wanted to say how awesome it would be to combine DnB beats and your orchestral style, Maestro ;D
I'm on it S3C, for serious ;D! I want to try and explore an entire new venue of Epic. DnO for Drums and Orchestra baby >:c!!!

When you say break you mean within the beat right? Like if we had the 16 boxes on FL

I'm currently finding it hard to build the beat. I mean I have the 4x4 beat down, basic kick and hi hat whateva, and then trying to build on that just doesn't sound right, it's missing an element. Do you guys find layering one type of sound before another helps? As in, do you put down the snares crisp sounds first, then the crashes, then the hi hats, etc etc?

hehe sounds awesome :P

by break I meant actually taking a sampled loop, slicing it to your desire and having it flow across the main beat that you can constructed with whatever samples. I think that might fill in the possible missing element.

anyway, you can just browse the breakbeat and drum and bass loops that are included in FPC bank, just for more ideas. but it sounds like you got the basic rhythm patterns down already.

If your work isn't worth fighting for, it's not worth uploading on NG, period. (JrHager84)

Jimbobsthebest
Jimbobsthebest
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 12:40:14 Reply

I personally don't find the rhythm hard at all to replicate. For me the trick is getting it EQed, compressed and mastered properly. I am guessing this is what most people struggle with and I'm not really sure what advice to give on doing it probably because I'm still miles off getting it to sound right myself.

Good luck though, I think everyone's advice so far has been bang on.

NemesisTheory
NemesisTheory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Audiophile
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 13:50:58 Reply

Commonly I do this in the piano roll but it'll look way more confusing since I can only have 1 open at the time, so I'll do it on the step sequencer for ease.

Cookie cutter (the norm, whatever XD) is something like this:

1: http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/568/1 cookie.jpg
(audio clip: http://www.zshare.net/audio/574912452c28 57d7/)

You can also begin with double drums at the start, but that's personal preference really.

For breaks, you could do something like this.

2: http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/289/2br eak.jpg
(audio clip: http://www.zshare.net/audio/57491766d027 236c/)

I hope that helped even a little, it's more visual aid than anything and also the very bare basics, so I hope it gives you some idea of how the basics work. If you by chance have any questions feel free to ask!

I personally prefer the piano roll over the step sequencer to arrange drums because you have more specific options on start position and length, so that you can make those really cool gated-sections as well during breakdowns or random breaks.

BBS Signature
Rave4Yourself
Rave4Yourself
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-23 13:55:16 Reply

At 3/23/09 02:18 AM, MaestroRage wrote:

What? 4x4 beat? I hope you don't mean putting 1 kick on every beat lol, thats not drumnbass :(

Um. The way I used to do it is, chuck in a drumloop(preferably dnb-oriented) into a slicer - if you use FL, use Fruity Slicer, works wonders - , then use the very first sound/bar which is the kick, put a few of those in your 4x4 beat/1 bar, and then find the snare in the loop you sliced, then after you find that, you can either put it on the 2nd and 4th beat like Quarl said, or put it on the 2nd and 3.5th beat, thats if you want a funkier beat, and it seems to work for when making a dark-step-ish harder-sounding dnb track.

i'll up some pics of some simple beats on my FL:

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/afjxwn.jpg[/
IMG]

Xenoscape
Xenoscape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-24 00:39:29 Reply

First, you open Reason.

Then you select a random .rex file and import the notes onto the sequencer.

Then you select a different .rex file and play back what's on the sequencer through the new .rex file.

Voila! Instant new beat! Speed up to taste.

Mrmilkcarton
Mrmilkcarton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-24 01:08:09 Reply

I've always wanted to know how I would set up the drums in this Pendulum - Sounds of Life in a beat sequencer. I don't have my good ole fruity slicer all the time when I use logic for DnB so I make my drums from samples and not sliced loops anymore.

I could never figure out how to give my hihats that filling feeling those do.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2009-03-24 17:16:16 Reply

Uhhh... well you could run your hats through effects units/ equalizers but I'm not sure how much effecting them will change their overall character given that they have such a short defined sound. You're probably better off just finding samples. And for those of you uploading .rex files... that's even lazier than ripping tabs... you'll never learn anything if you just import samples...

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

pokerockmario
pokerockmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2011-01-13 13:41:10 Reply

2 ways of doin' it.

The oldskool Jungle way: Find a break (for example, an Amenbreak, sampled from Amen Brother, or Funky Drummer), open it in your Beatslicer/Audiotrack. Edit the sample, done :)

The DnB Way: Find a few good sounding/Punchy samples, a kick, a snare, hihats + rides.
A basic DnB beat goes like this:
Kick: XOOOOOOOOOXOOOOO
Snare: OOOOXOOOOOOOXOOO
You can always try more vartiation etc.

Also, DnB samples are made by layering all kinds of samples and EQing them bit by bit.
-> http://www.megaupload.com/?d=17VMARN6 Some samples made by me (give credit if used =])

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2011-01-13 13:42:48 Reply

At 1/13/11 01:41 PM, pokerockmario wrote:

why are you giving advice to someone who posted this two years ago.

SymbolCymbal
SymbolCymbal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2011-01-13 13:56:57 Reply

@pokerockmario

Please stop cluttering the audio forum by reviving extremely old threads. The original poster doesnt need advice 1-2 years later.

thanks

pokerockmario
pokerockmario
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to How do you go creating DnB beats? 2011-01-14 16:18:14 Reply

Wait, oh yeah, it's 2011 now :P
sorry