CombatGoose
CombatGoose
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Ea Sports: Lack of Innovation? Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 09:25 PM Reply

What do you guys think?

EA Sports has been around for years. Odds are you own a few, if not several of their respective sport game franchises. They currently release Madden NFL, NCAA Football, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, NASCAR, FIFA Soccer, NBA Live and NHL. All these games have high standards and do not disappoint. There is enough polish and refinement on these titles to make them enjoyable. The problem then does not lie with the playability of these games.

EA Sports' slogan is 'EA Sports: It's in the game.' The more appropriate title would be 'EA Sports: It's Already Been In the Game' The problem with these games, if not already apparent, will soon be brought forward: how can EA continue to pump out games year after year with few if any game play improvements or additions? The market for returns on these games must be shrinking. If you already own NHL 2008, what are the odds you are going to want to spend an additional $60-70 to buy NHL 2009, a relatively similar product that you in essence already own? Granted there will be a market for new owners who recently purchased systems, or if new generation console come out such as the PS4, or the Xbox 720. Aside from this group though, who besides the hardcore fans will wish to buy these new iterations of the same product? If we are to take a look at series such as NHL, the changes between 2008 and 2009 were few and far between. Granted it included a new game type known as 'Be a Pro' wherein you work your way up fr om the minors, but this alone surely cannot justify spending more money on basically the same game. For several of EA's franchises the largest difference between any two given years can be, and very often is, simply a graphical upgrade, a new soundtrack, and an updated roster.

So my question is, how is EA going to continue to entice consumers to continue purchasing their products? If you already own Tiger Woods 07 on the Xbox 360, why would you want to buy Tiger Woods 09? So you can play as Michelle Wie? Not likely. We have already seen job loses at EA and the closure of Black Box Studio, most notable for their production of Skate and Need for Speed. With the apparent desire to cut costs to help increase the bottom line, what are the odds one of these series will be axed all together? Of course this whole assumption could be wrong as according to the NPD Group, Madden 09 has sold almost 4.5 million copies since its release. The perplexing question then is, what keeps bringing consumers back?

Visit my gaming site:

http://www.press-start.ca

KartoTolmex
KartoTolmex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Ea Sports: Lack of Innovation? Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 09:44 PM Reply

At 3/21/09 09:25 PM, CombatGoose wrote: What do you guys think?

EA Sports has been around for years. Odds are you own a few, if not several of their respective sport game franchises. They currently release Madden NFL, NCAA Football, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, NASCAR, FIFA Soccer, NBA Live and NHL. All these games have high standards and do not disappoint. There is enough polish and refinement on these titles to make them enjoyable. The problem then does not lie with the playability of these games.

I think you're beginning to address your own query. Why innovate for innovation's sake?

EA Sports' slogan is 'EA Sports: It's in the game.' The more appropriate title would be 'EA Sports: It's Already Been In the Game'

It used to be "If it's in the game, it's in the game", what this means is that "If it's in the game <a ctual sport>, it's in the game <the product you have purchased". I.e. an in depth simulation.

The problem with these games, if not already apparent, will soon be brought forward: how can EA continue to pump out games year after year with few if any game play improvements or additions?

The same way in that the sports in question repeat themselves year after without adding "Instant death" rules

The market for returns on these games must be shrinking. If you already own NHL 2008, what are the odds you are going to want to spend an additional $60-70 to buy NHL 2009 a relatively similar product that you in essence already own?

The same odds that you'll watch the 2009 season of NHL

Granted there will be a market for new owners who recently purchased systems, or if new generation console come out such as the PS4, or the Xbox 720. Aside from this group though, who besides the hardcore fans will wish to buy these new iterations of the same product?

No-one, they aim their games at their demographic. People that are attracted to these franchises who aren't normally interested in the sport are a bonus.

If we are to take a look at series such as NHL, the changes between 2008 and 2009 were few and far between. Granted it included a new game type known as 'Be a Pro' wherein you work your way up fr om the minors, but this alone surely cannot justify spending more money on basically the same game. For several of EA's franchises the largest difference between any two given years can be, and very often is, simply a graphical upgrade, a new soundtrack, and an updated roster.

More variation than what the sport offers. And more variation than what is needed too

So my question is, how is EA going to continue to entice consumers to continue purchasing their products? If you already own Tiger Woods 07 on the Xbox 360, why would you want to buy Tiger Woods 09? So you can play as Michelle Wie? Not likely.

On the contrary, very likely. If you like the sport enough to buy the game for it, you will continue to do so.

We have already seen job loses at EA and the closure of Black Box Studio, most notable for their production of Skate and Need for Speed.

This is a poor example. Due to the state of the world's economies various jobs have been cut across all industries.

With the apparent desire to cut costs to help increase the bottom line, what are the odds one of these series will be axed all together?

None, guaranteed cash flows will not be severed.

Of course this whole assumption could be wrong as according to the NPD Group, Madden 09 has sold almost 4.5 million copies since its release. The perplexing question then is, what keeps bringing consumers back?

The love for their sport.

I'll use an example such as Gears of War 2. That mainly has a couple of weapons tacked on, a couple of maps and it's released as a game. But people's love for that game brings them back.

Don't worry about EAs sports franchise, it's one of the safest ones out there.

BlueFlameSkulls
BlueFlameSkulls
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Ea Sports: Lack of Innovation? Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 09:52 PM Reply

I disagree.

I started playing FIFA 09 the other day. I haven't played a football game in years. I had the belief EA were just going to remake the same game every year with a new roster and slightly updated graphics.

I was wrong. Back when I used to play FIFA games it was simple. Button to shoot, button to pass etc. I looked through the manual of FIFA 09 there were like 5 pages of controls. There was manager mode, be a pro mode. It is also interesting they have an online feature that updates the roster every week or so depending on the player's performance. Also an ultimate team mode came out on Thursday. While I don't like they charge you a subscription to get updated player features.

Even reviewers were surprised that this game was actually decent instead of the same rubbish they throw out annually. EA do seem to be getting better lately. While I hate EA in general they are making up for past mistakes.

Bl00dRedKnife
Bl00dRedKnife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ea Sports: Lack of Innovation? Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 10:11 PM Reply

Way to copy and paste without even giving us your resource.

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature
Bl00dRedKnife
Bl00dRedKnife
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Ea Sports: Lack of Innovation? Mar. 21st, 2009 @ 10:22 PM Reply

At 3/21/09 10:16 PM, Twilight95 wrote: That's his website.

Either way he should've mentioned it so we'll know its not some sort of a quick, cheap way to get some sort of message across.

GT: Born2Evil

BBS Signature