00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thrll just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

San Diego, SuperBanners, etc.

9,808 Views | 100 Replies
Respond to this Topic

San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:23:26

I am flying back out to San Diego today, for two more weeks of intensive Alien Hominid programming. There should be some very good progress over these two weeks! I'll still be posting while I'm out there.

I've been curious - we currently run a super banner on the frontpage where if you roll over it with your mouse, it auto-extends. When it does this, it drops down and covers a bunch of the frontpage items. Has this resulted in you NOT visiting frontpage items you normally would have clicked on?

These superbanners have a few down-sides, but in general they are great for the site and I hope everyone supports them. We are working on a new layout that will better feature the superbanner space, while removing the traditional banner above it (and making the top nav look much cleaner in the process). Expect to see the frontpage get tightened up soon!

The new navbar will feature an additional link for a new major branch of Newgrounds. A lot of you can probably guess what it is, but I'll leave you in suspense for now. :)

ALSO - My friend Tim has taken on the job of managing our servers. Last night he may have fixed an issue that was causing the numerous page errors ("extreme load") many of you have seen. If you have been browsing the Portal or BBS and noticing less/no errors, let me know! If it still seems to be a problem, also let me know. I personally haven't received any errors since last night.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:26:10

Whoa! We have a front page! Wow! That's awesome Tom! It even has a link to the BBS! Kuh - Razy!

Anyways, The super banner seems fine, though if you could instead set it on the bottom half of the page so that it scrolls down then, I'd be happy, but making me happy was never a priority.

Need a hot dicking?

JonasATnewgrounds.com

I do voices.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:30:51

YYYEEEAH NO MORE ("extreme load")

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO :) :) :)

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:33:32

My pc automatically stops banners.... I go to NG banner free :D

gl working on AH i wanna see it quickly in europe!!

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:37:41

At 1/5/04 09:33 AM, MegaIKKI wrote: My pc automatically stops banners.... I go to NG banner free :D

gl working on AH i wanna see it quickly in europe!!

how? Do u mean u have a pop up stopper?

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 09:41:01

The Super Banner is a bit of an eye soar at the moment..
I cant wait till this new layout, so it cleans everything up a bit! :D

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:00:01

At 1/5/04 09:23 AM, TomFulp wrote:
I've been curious - we currently run a super banner on the frontpage where if you roll over it with your mouse, it auto-extends. When it does this, it drops down and covers a bunch of the frontpage items. Has this resulted in you NOT visiting frontpage items you normally would have clicked on?

No. It hasn't. I just close the super banner and browse normally. I just wanted to extend my thoughts and say how retarded the page looks what with all the banners ads and popups. I think that discourages people from visiting altogether :-(

However, you do say you're "cleaning it up" so i look forward to that, and the new nav bar button. Does anyone know what it is? Video or Art Portal, maybe?

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:01:09

At 1/5/04 09:37 AM, CJCJCJ wrote:
how? Do u mean u have a pop up stopper?

No, he said BANNER.

If you are running IE6 or something i think you can change your settings to make banners disappear. I forget what it was though.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:31:03

Well considering I use a modified version of Mozilla Firebird I don't see ANY banners whatsoever so I'm happy :-)

San Diego, SuperBanners, etc.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:34:56

At 1/5/04 10:01 AM, Magna wrote:
If you are running IE6 or something i think you can change your settings to make banners disappear. I forget what it was though.

Hell Just go get MOZILLA :)
Check My post in Tom's topic, that Ingrates one, pg 6 :)

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:47:19

bastards.

when tom puts ads here, he gets paid for you seeing them.

you dont want the site to shut down...do you?

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:49:53

Well I haven't seen any since last night but I'll tell you if I do.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:51:19

At 1/5/04 10:31 AM, vibes wrote: Well considering I use a modified version of Mozilla Firebird I don't see ANY banners whatsoever so I'm happy :-)

what about the 100% free one in taht pic?

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 10:59:43

At 1/5/04 09:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new navbar will feature an additional link for a new major branch of Newgrounds. A lot of you can probably guess what it is, but I'll leave you in suspense for now. :)

I hope it has something to do with the automated collections, but probably not :(

BBS Signature

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 11:50:15

At 1/5/04 10:59 AM, Afro_Ninja wrote:
At 1/5/04 09:23 AM, TomFulp wrote: The new navbar will feature an additional link for a new major branch of Newgrounds. A lot of you can probably guess what it is, but I'll leave you in suspense for now. :)
I hope it has something to do with the automated collections, but probably not :(

Neh i hope to see links to the banner section and to club a seal.

P.S Tom you need to update the banners.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:23:30

the superbanner is fine, it grows when you mouseover it, but it shrinks back too, so its fine. the popups never bugged me, just the stuff that trys to install things automatically are bad.

can't wait to find out what the new section is. only suggestion about the front page would be to have more news updates by NG staff. I like hearing the stuff you guys do, even if its about wade leaving a 2 foot turd or something. well maybe not that, but you know :) possibly move the news up some, and make the top pics of the day a sidebar or something.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:29:39

At 1/5/04 10:31 AM, vibes wrote: Well considering I use a modified version of Mozilla Firebird I don't see ANY banners whatsoever so I'm happy :-)

Way to help support NG Vibes, you're just a leech.

Without the ads NG will go under. Software that blocks and hides pop ups and banners will result in many sites going under due to lack of ad revenue. Or sites like NG will be forced to charge subscriptions. The reason we are now seeing Super banners, active-x pop ups, etc, is because of all the people using pop up blockers.

I wonder if programs that hide banners still load them, and count as a view for us, but the user just doesn't see it.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:34:24

Well, that isn't a problem for me. Norton interent securities blocks every pop up and banner on newgrounds except for the red anime girl icon. Good luck!

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:37:18

Oops forgot to add Tom, I know you want to get us all to take the survey, but it's getting a little on my nerves... But that's fine, I mean I have no right to tell you what to do or not to do, I toally support you.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:43:25

super banner hasn't bugged what bugs me is when i go into audio to listen to some music and i get internal site error something that really bugs me i only get the extreme load when newgrounds is over loaded with is only a few hours a day but all in all i have no problem with anything can't wait for those up dates!!!

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:44:36

i see banners, i wouldnt block them either, then their would either be a big white spot in the page, or the page would suck up onto the empty spot creating a crouded effect. i would advise anyone with a banner stoper to get rid of it, because it is gay, and wade says so, as do I, and so many others.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 12:51:19

arghh. . i want to know the new button. . i liek teh buttonzzzz

No more fucking moving .gifs? WHAT THE HELL. FUCK YOU.

BBS Signature

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:23:39

At 1/5/04 10:00 AM, Magna wrote: Does anyone know what it is? Video or Art Portal, maybe?

I think its the E-zine.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:25:53

i dont like the superbanners. but then again, i dont like any ads. i'll deal

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:26:24

The only problem I have with the Super Banner is the way it opens. I feel like it should only open on a mouseRelease, not a mouseOver. That way the viewer needs to actually click on it to open it. The way it is now, I accidentally open it too much, and sometimes when I try to close it, I'll open it again immediately (and accidentally).

I don't know if you've ever seen espn.com's Super Banners on the front page, but they have an interesting way of handling this. The Super Banner is opened on default, and then about 5 seconds after the full page is loaded, it shrinks on its own. As it shrinks, the page content below it that it had displaced automatically scroll up to compensate. That way, no content is covered up at any time, and the user still has the option to reopen the banner. It works pretty well if you ask me. I don't know what kind of design is rewquired to get that effect though, since it's really not my field of expertise!

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:40:12

banners shape the site....

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:41:38

btw. nothing happens when i pull my mouse over the 'super' banner

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 13:43:14

I'm still seeing errors, and earlier than I usually see them frequently.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 14:16:59

The super banner doesn't bother me Tom or Wade.

I use Panicware's Pop-up Stopper Pro. I leave the banners alone, I mean it's not like they bother me ; a picture is more attractive than an empty space ya know? But as for your question Wade, i think the ads still count as a hit on my part, because pop-up stopper can be set to notify me of them when I want to, and it can log them for me if i want, so it's pretty much like they pop-up and it closes them before they ever pop-up, if that makes any sense. But I'm pretty sure I count as a hit for them when Pop-up Stopper says I still get pop-ups and it just keeps me from seeing them.

Response to San Diego, SuperBanners, etc. 2004-01-05 14:23:10

The superbanner will NOT shrink when I click "close". Annoying as hell.