Be a Supporter!

This is it.

  • 157,704 Views
  • 613 Replies
New Topic
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Member since: May. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 04:58 PM

At 3/17/09 04:57 PM, xscoot wrote:
At 3/17/09 04:56 PM, 25272D wrote: sig for the lulz
Better than the other one. It doesn't glorify Sirtom93.

No, it just makes it sound like you are sirtom's widow.


Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 04:58 PM

At 3/17/09 04:56 PM, 25272D wrote: sig for the lulz

OMG CAN I HAS? Seriously?


Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM

At 3/17/09 04:48 PM, Zerok wrote: Are you seriously of the opinion that you should gamble with potential victim's lives like that? Maybe you don't have anyone close to you such that you'd be devastated if anything injurious ever happened to them... but if something happened to one of my loved ones, and I found that the perpetrator had let a large group of people know what he was planning on doing and no one took it seriously... Jesus.

Knowing how few people in my school - as an example - have ever heard of any NG that isn't Nation Geographic, I doubt to the umpteenth power that this was made as a threat to anyone. The closest Norfolk to half the users here is in Virginia. I would be pissed if this happened, but how many emo kids do you think say "I'm going to kill someone today"? I would guess somewhere in the tens of millions. Should we go around every depressed teenager just because (s)he thought about it? Hey, cops, some of these kids think about doing what he posted, let's go arrest all of them for conspiring for murder. Posting something like this on that website would get a "Ignore the attention whore" type response.

If you posted something like that on a kid-friendly website you would get your topic deleted and nothing would be thought or done of it.

Yet, if you post it on a website where some of the people are under ten, some of the people are emo, and some of them are responsible adults, you get arrested. Double standards FTL.


You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM

At 3/17/09 04:56 PM, 25272D wrote: sig for the lulz

Even if it is too soon after the fact, I'll admit I laughed.

deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Member since: Oct. 21, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 58
Programmer
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 04:59 PM

At 3/17/09 04:48 PM, Tekken9292 wrote: I'm really sorry guys, I'll read 17 pages of Negrounds lolwalrus material because leaders of teh intranet made me so.

If you read the first page, it would be pretty damn obvious exactly what has happened.

Sirtom creates this thread
Rig and myself phone the police
Users post an amazing amount of information on Sirtom
Rig keeps in contact with police, I keep in contact with Sirtom's school and Wade
The school phones me and says the matter has been dealt with and thanks NG
The police contact Rig and say Sirtom is in custody.

TL;DR Sirtom is now in police custody because he threatened to burn down his school. Rig and I (and my top secret informer) are Internet Superheroes.


#coys

BBS Signature
BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:02 PM

At 3/17/09 04:59 PM, deckheadtottie wrote:
At 3/17/09 04:48 PM, Tekken9292 wrote:
TL;DR Sirtom is now in police custody because he threatened to burn down his school. Rig and I (and my top secret informer) are Internet Superheroes.

You and Rig are victors of the day.


Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
xscoot
xscoot
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:03 PM

At 3/17/09 04:59 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: TL;DR Sirtom is now in police custody because he threatened to burn down his school. Rig and I (and my top secret informer) are Internet Superheroes.

I'm referring to you all as the "SuperFriends" from now own. Until I find a way to make that name homosexual, of course.


My PSN ID is xscoot. Crazy, huh?

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:03 PM

At 3/17/09 04:59 PM, deckheadtottie wrote: TL;DR Sirtom is now in police custody because he threatened to burn down his school. Rig and I (and my top secret informer) are Internet Superheroes.

Can I have sex with you?

Rig
Rig
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Musician
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:03 PM

TL;DR for those of you who are too lazy to read the numerous other TL;DRs.

By the way, for our less internet-educated viewers: TL;DR = Too long; didn't read.


____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:04 PM

At 3/17/09 05:01 PM, 25272D wrote: Fixed because it was too big and added mocking text so he's reminded when he comes back about how shit he was.

OH TEH NOES, it's like 1.6 KB over the file limit!


Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
25272D
25272D
  • Member since: Oct. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:05 PM

At 3/17/09 05:03 PM, Rig wrote: TL;DR for those of you who are too lazy to read the numerous other TL;DRs.

By the way, for our less internet-educated viewers: TL;DR = Too long; didn't read.

Change it to UK times so we can see what happened in UK time. or add it next to it. It started at 10:40AM GMT, with the threat to be carried out @ 11:30AM

Zerok
Zerok
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 34
Writer
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:06 PM

At 3/17/09 04:59 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: Knowing how few people in my school - as an example - have ever heard of any NG that isn't Nation Geographic, I doubt to the umpteenth power that this was made as a threat to anyone. The closest Norfolk to half the users here is in Virginia.

Your analysis of the situation and what you thought of it is irrelevant, in terms of the level of threat presented.

I would be pissed if this happened, but how many emo kids do you think say "I'm going to kill someone today"? I would guess somewhere in the tens of millions. Should we go around every depressed teenager just because (s)he thought about it? Hey, cops, some of these kids think about doing what he posted, let's go arrest all of them for conspiring for murder. Posting something like this on that website would get a "Ignore the attention whore" type response.

That's not the same thing AT ALL.

sirtom posted with intent, naming his target, his planned time of action as well as a picture to back up his claims. That's LEAGUES away from someone saying "grrrrrg I'ma kill someone today."

Clearly you take things on a case by case basis. This case had a real threat, no matter what he actually intended to do. You can't go making threats of that magnitude in a public place and not expect some blowback.

If you posted something like that on a kid-friendly website you would get your topic deleted and nothing would be thought or done of it.

Because you've interviewed the administration of every kid friendly site in the world, right?

Yet, if you post it on a website where some of the people are under ten, some of the people are emo, and some of them are responsible adults, you get arrested. Double standards FTL.

The website's clientele had very little to do with this, if anything at all.


Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

doctorjmcgee
doctorjmcgee
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:08 PM

Oh man this was a great read. Nice job NG. You guys prevented what could of been the next big school attack linked towards NG showing in national news like back in 04 or 05. We did good. So the kid seriously had the gas can?

IlliterateLlama
IlliterateLlama
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:11 PM

I'd like to complement the sheer admirable valence of some of the moderators and of Wade for handing all of the information to the police and avoiding a potential catastrophe.

I wonder what it could've been...

Aryk
Aryk
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:11 PM

He could have done it if he didn't tell us. Well, it's good he told us!

doctorjmcgee
doctorjmcgee
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:16 PM

At 3/17/09 05:11 PM, Aryk wrote: He could have done it if he didn't tell us. Well, it's good he told us!

Don't be an idiot someone could get that idea like they did before the internet. Worst fear is a school shooting.

<deleted>
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:17 PM

At 3/17/09 04:59 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: I would be pissed if this happened, but how many emo kids do you think say "I'm going to kill someone today"? I would guess somewhere in the tens of millions. Should we go around every depressed teenager just because (s)he thought about it? Hey, cops, some of these kids think about doing what he posted, let's go arrest all of them for conspiring for murder. Posting something like this on that website would get a "Ignore the attention whore" type response.

Without any evidence to back myself, I think you incorrectly assume it's purely a subcultural thing. Even with subcultural influences being some sort of factor, not all of them are extreme in what they do, or say they'll do. With regards to this sort of crime, I would suspect rates among entire subcultures to be low, if not very low. Particularly in the case of males, crime is largely motivated in subcultures as a means to push higher within the groups. As far as I know, there is little evidence to suggest that sort of motivation in cases like this. Personally, I think you overestimate your figures of "tens of millions" as I've already said about those within subcultures, and we need to keep in mind that things are different culturally: how sirtom93 might have reacted (with subcultural influences or not) would be different to how someone within a different culture would handle it.

Dah, I'm not really making any sense. All the writers that pushed subcultural theory were almost pre-postmodernism, never mind pre-Internet. Admittedly, I don't know much about "emo" subculture either. As far as I understand, it's people saying bad things happen to them... but that makes Warren Zevon an "emo". If it's about thoughts of suicide, then that makes me an "emo". If that's true, tag me into the subcultural theory too.

thekingofmadness
thekingofmadness
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:20 PM

The bbs finally helped do something good. Great job to all who helped.


Xbox Live Gamertag:VeryStupid007
Feel free to hit me up

BBS Signature
doctorjmcgee
doctorjmcgee
  • Member since: Nov. 10, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:24 PM

At 3/17/09 05:00 PM, Tramps wrote: Did anyone actually catch the video at the beginning?

Nobody did because he said his webcam was fail

NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Member since: May. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:27 PM

At 3/17/09 05:06 PM, Zerok wrote: Your analysis of the situation and what you thought of it is irrelevant, in terms of the level of threat presented.

You said as a threat, I'm stating this isn't a threat.

That's not the same thing AT ALL.

Because "I'm going to kill a bunch of people at my school today, brb"

And

"I want to kill John Doe"

Are TOTALLY not the same thing.

sirtom posted with intent, naming his target, his planned time of action as well as a picture to back up his claims. That's LEAGUES away from someone saying "grrrrrg I'ma kill someone today."

Intent - I wanna kill people
Emo intent - I wanna kill someone

ToA - School (Nearest chance)
Emo ToA - Whenever I can (Nearest chance)

Picture of a greenish box holding no evidence
Picture of them being extremely emo, still no evidence

Clearly you take things on a case by case basis. This case had a real threat, no matter what he actually intended to do. You can't go making threats of that magnitude in a public place and not expect some blowback.

Sorry, should I cluster every instance together and decide from that? I'm pretty sure that's how this business started. The killing one, I mean. How is this threat any less real or public than the hollow "everyday " ones? An open website for flash gamers and makers is less public than a website for emo kids? That's like saying Hot Topic is less public than Macys.

Because you've interviewed the administration of every kid friendly site in the world, right?

If someone reposted this on Nickelodeon.com (or the like) I'm sure you wouldn't get arrested.

The website's clientele had very little to do with this, if anything at all.

Of COURSE it did. If there were a million Rigs and DHTs, this would've turned out much differently than a million people who took it as I did.

But meh, he's in jail for a B.S. thing he never planned to do, just because it happened before. Nothing we can do to change it.


You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

wismty
wismty
  • Member since: Dec. 6, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:28 PM

Great job guys.

High fives


Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

marcusp3
marcusp3
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:30 PM

At 3/17/09 05:27 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: But meh, he's in jail for a B.S. thing he never planned to do, just because it happened before. Nothing we can do to change it.

You do realise sirtom was serious about this stuff? He had planned it to do it, not planned it for kicks. You're saying, even if I plan to go and blow up a bus station, as long as I never actually manage it, I'm totally innocent?

The-Darkphoenix
The-Darkphoenix
  • Member since: Jun. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:30 PM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfo lk/7949532.stm

No mention of Newgrounds. :(

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Member since: May. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:32 PM

NGers (excluding Sirtom) are awesome.

Read Rig's little TL;dr blog (thanks for that), just want to ask - Does anyone know if he did actually take petrol into school with him? And has anyone spoken to him privately on msn/aim prior to this and got a clue that he wanted to do something like this? Sorry if these questions have already been asked =3


[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
Civilnotice
Civilnotice
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:32 PM

At 3/17/09 05:30 PM, The-Darkphoenix wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfo lk/7949532.stm

No mention of Newgrounds. :(

Way to thank NG for all the help.


BBS Signature
Xurch
Xurch
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:32 PM

At 3/17/09 05:30 PM, The-Darkphoenix wrote: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfo lk/7949532.stm

No mention of Newgrounds. :(

How do you find these minor storys?


BBS Signature
BlakeMo
BlakeMo
  • Member since: Nov. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Movie Buff
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:32 PM

At 3/17/09 05:11 PM, Aryk wrote: He could have done it if he didn't tell us. Well, it's good he told us!

Yeah, maybe he wanted to be caught, ya know, for the lu-...attention

And I'd rather not imagine what coulda been, let's just all be thankful that Rig, Wade, and deckheadtottie took charge.

On this day, Wade is the victor, not Thomas!

Keepin' Calm and Chiving On
*clickable siggy*

BBS Signature
sweetshinmusic
sweetshinmusic
  • Member since: Jul. 18, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:33 PM

Imagine if this had been 4chan.

The school would not be here now.

God bless NG.
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Member since: Sep. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:33 PM

At 3/17/09 05:27 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: But meh, he's in jail for a B.S. thing he never planned to do, just because it happened before. Nothing we can do to change it.

How naive do you want to be? Regardless of intent, you don't say shit like that. You go into an airport and threaten to blow them up, and see how little difference you saying "jokes" at the end will make.

Zerok
Zerok
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 34
Writer
Response to This is it. Mar. 17th, 2009 @ 05:34 PM

At 3/17/09 05:27 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: You said as a threat, I'm stating this isn't a threat.

but you're wrong. Whether or not it was a threat isn't a matter of opinion.

Are TOTALLY not the same thing.

I see you try to dismantle my argument below... let's see.

sirtom posted with intent, naming his target, his planned time of action as well as a picture to back up his claims. That's LEAGUES away from someone saying "grrrrrg I'ma kill someone today."
Intent - I wanna kill people
Emo intent - I wanna kill someone

Okay, this isn't an argument. It's not even relevant to the "debate."

ToA - School (Nearest chance)
Emo ToA - Whenever I can (Nearest chance)

You make some insane assumptions here. Did you know there's a CLINICAL difference between vaugely stating a target and identifying an immediate one? No, I assume you did not.

Picture of a greenish box holding no evidence
Picture of them being extremely emo, still no evidence

Wow. You just... clearly have no idea what we're even talking about here do you?

Sorry, should I cluster every instance together and decide from that? I'm pretty sure that's how this business started. The killing one, I mean. How is this threat any less real or public than the hollow "everyday " ones?

I thought I made that clear:

Plausible intent, stated target and time.

An open website for flash gamers and makers is less public than a website for emo kids? That's like saying Hot Topic is less public than Macys.

When did I compare the publicity of the two?

If someone reposted this on Nickelodeon.com (or the like) I'm sure you wouldn't get arrested.

Again, what you're "sure" of is not relevant.

Of COURSE it did. If there were a million Rigs and DHTs, this would've turned out much differently than a million people who took it as I did.

... You've never really been exposed to proper argument structure have you? Ugh.


Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys