00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kingkavvvv just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Can somone help me with a problem..

947 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm having a problem in FL

Whenever my kick starts, the lead that is playing at the same time, it sounds like the lead is being sidechained?

i can assure you its not sidechained, but the volume on it is like dropping down every time the kick hits

anyone have any ideas on how to fix it???

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:19:33

Do you have a compressor of any kind on the master channel?
If not, I don't really know what your problem could be - then again, I don't use FL.
If you do have a compressor on the master, then turn the threshold up, or the ratio down... something to reduce the amount of compression applied when your kick hits.
Good luck.

(Also, as a side note, there is an 'FL Help thread'. CBA linking, just search for it.)

I make music.

You can hear my newest track here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/657049

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:21:01

At 3/16/09 06:19 PM, TwilightNecrosis wrote: Do you have a compressor of any kind on the master channel?
If not, I don't really know what your problem could be - then again, I don't use FL.
If you do have a compressor on the master, then turn the threshold up, or the ratio down... something to reduce the amount of compression applied when your kick hits.
Good luck.

(Also, as a side note, there is an 'FL Help thread'. CBA linking, just search for it.)

no atm i just have a limiter on master

although i do have a compressor on the kick, mabye thats messin it up...

thx man

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:24:41

Uhh.. yeah. Don't throw in limiters on the master channel. That will sidechain your whole song at one point or another. :/

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:38:15

At 3/16/09 06:21 PM, SessileNomad wrote: no atm i just have a limiter on master

although i do have a compressor on the kick, mabye thats messin it up...

thx man

For the record, all a 'limiter' is is a compressor with infinite ratio.
So, yes, you have compression on the master. Turn it off. If you need to have your overall mix be louder, use a multiband compressor/maximizer. It will not affect the lead, but compress the kick when it hits.
Or just turn your speakers/headphones up. That's the best idea. =]

I make music.

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:39:00

Yeah... I'm pretty sure it would be that limiter on your master buss. If it's just hard-limiting, put a db meter on the mixer before it. If it's peaking above 0db, then your whole track is being ducked, which may make it sound like it's being side-chained.

Easy fix - turn down all of your tracks.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com

We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!

Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:43:10

..or alternatively-

turn the volume of your kick, or the channel which it resides on, down.

As long as the kick is not peaking the 0db mark, then the compressor will not 'kick' in and limit the track (pun intended.)

Sounds like the lead is already somewhere up there around the limit mark, and when that kick comes in it ducks everything.

Try and make everything the appropriate level of volume in your song before applying any kind of compressor, EQ, limiter, etc.

It will help in the long run.

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 18:44:04

At 3/16/09 06:39 PM, Steven-Polley wrote: Easy fix - turn down all of your tracks.

Forgot about this. Definitely do this as well.

I make music.

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-16 20:08:32

Also, just to add on what others are saying. A good guideline for mixing is to have all master buss compressors off. Have your kick peaking around -8db to -6db, then adjust the rest of your track around the kick. This way, by the time your ready to master, you'll have a nice peak right around -3 db or so, which leaves plenty of headroom for dynamics -- if you choose to go down that path.

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com

We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!

Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Can somone help me with a problem.. 2009-03-17 17:16:11

wow thanks for all the help everylone, i actually didnt know that limiters were compressers, and actually i have it just set to default to put one in the mastering channel, so its not all me fault

well, now im off, to go take that limiter off my master, mess around with mastering and stuff(never done this b4)

peace out and thank you

good night, and good luck