New Topic Respond to this Topic
Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 01:12 PM Reply

I was thinking of how cool the awards video turned out this year for the tank awards. It would be neat if they had different categories than just "game" and "movie" to make the awards even more epic. For instance:

"Best writing"
I think this would be a good idea because it gives a chance to recognize movies that are amazingly well-written, but might not have the same graphical appeal as other flashes. For instance, in 2007, Waterlollies won, but I think some ppl might agree that in a 'writing' category, other flashes from 2007 would win over Waterlollies.

"Best animation"
This one's pretty self-explanatory. If there's a particular flash that has amazing animation, it usually becomes a very key factor in winning the "Best movie" category. If there's an animation category, flashes with exceptional animation can be nominated into this category aswell, alleviating the animation-dependence of the more general "Best overall movie" award.

"Best music"
This award is a bit different than the "best musician" award. This one would work much like the "Best original score" category of the oscars. Animators who use audio portal music can get that music nominated for this award if the music is really awesome and works well with their animation. This award would encourage animators to come up with original music or use the audio portal music.

"Best voice acting"
There's some great voice acting talent on newgrounds. I think the flash of the year with the best voice acting performance deserves a tank.

ITT your ideas for other tank award categories you think would be good, and explain why, for both movies and games.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 01:15 PM Reply

with the new medal feature, i could easily see an "NGgamer of the year" to be a good idea!

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

pyromaniac616
pyromaniac616
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Gamer
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 01:16 PM Reply

I really want there to be a writing portal, it would be good to show of the start of my book.

I would love to win an award
also, Rucklo, I suggested that Elios put your name in big letters on his tank wall.
godstrength4
godstrength4
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Art Lover
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 01:49 PM Reply

Yep these categories should be added/awarded.
Some of the important people who are part of great flashes aren't that recognized so this might be a chance for them to be rewarded greatly.

ninjakoopa-33
ninjakoopa-33
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 02:33 PM Reply

I though of a couple more:

"Best Art Style"
This award would go to whoever has the best art style. Every animator has his/her own unique art style, so this award should be given based who's style is the most popular.

"Best Story"
This award should be given based on the plot. Some flashes/games have some interesting stories, and an award should be given for that. This can range from comedies, adventures, parodies, etc.

Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 01:15 PM, Rucklo wrote: with the new medal feature, i could easily see an "NGgamer of the year" to be a good idea!

Hmm, I think the awards should be more directed towards generating content for the website. A prize for medals would be pretty awesome though

Pixmintro
Pixmintro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Animator
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 02:35 PM Reply

I think a "Best Series" catagory would be pretty good to include too.

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 02:35 PM, Zombie-Pimp wrote:
At 3/8/09 01:15 PM, Rucklo wrote: with the new medal feature, i could easily see an "NGgamer of the year" to be a good idea!
Hmm, I think the awards should be more directed towards generating content for the website. A prize for medals would be pretty awesome though

yeah, but this would be a good trick to get people spend time playing the games even more, and creating a competing atmosphere which in itself could generate a tighter gaming-community.

i mean, what are all games good for, if noone is around to play them? and what i mean with that is that by taking care of the gamers, everybody wins a little bit more - the creator, the ones with the ads and the gamers who get to compete over stuff!

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

j-ufo
j-ufo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:11 PM, Rucklo wrote:
At 3/8/09 02:35 PM, Zombie-Pimp wrote:
yeah, but this would be a good trick to get people spend time playing the games even more, and creating a competing atmosphere which in itself could generate a tighter gaming-community.

i mean, what are all games good for, if noone is around to play them? and what i mean with that is that by taking care of the gamers, everybody wins a little bit more - the creator, the ones with the ads and the gamers who get to compete over stuff!

Though I do like the medal award system, and hope that it will be further integrated, I don't think that it should be awarded with a tank-award. Maybe some special Medal to be awarded for being the best gamer of the year, to be showcased on ones userpage, and perhaps some prize involved with it (store credit or something).
My primary concern would be that people would use external applications to cheat their way to the medals, in order to win a Tank-award (or as I suggested, a smaller prize)
But I can fully support the idea of rewarding users and audience of Games/movies on the page, since it is a good way to make people interested in them, other websites have been doing that for years, with seemingly great success.
I regularly visit Kongregate for this particular thing alone, and due to them highlighting special challenges and Achievements, I have been drawn to play games, that I have never heard of before.

What we end up with, is more viewers, playing more games, multiple times to get all achievements. More Audience, more views and more to look at the Ad-banners for those making money off them. A win for all

BBS Signature
TheThirdSix
TheThirdSix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 03:52 PM Reply

"Longest Non-Loop Flash"

BBS Signature
j-ufo
j-ufo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 04:06 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:52 PM, TheThirdSix wrote: "Longest Non-Loop Flash"

here you go :P

All time winner - 30 minutes long (seriously) - but it is from 2001, so that would probably decrease its chances to win in a yearly contest :/
But still, I guess it's an all time winner, since I have never encountered one longer.
(but technically it is possible, since Filesize limit has been increased, and this one only fills 3.3 MB. According to my quick calculations, you could, at least make, a 1½ hour movie, if you fill out all the usable MB :O)

BBS Signature
Killing-joke
Killing-joke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 01:16 PM, pyromaniac616 wrote: I really want there to be a writing portal, it would be good to show of the start of my book.

Could be a portal for scripts or something, and then the flash makers could ask to use them, so the writer could get credit :P

Killing-joke Rule the waves! Rule britania!
Signature made by, TheRipper00 NG Signature Makers ] Guild Wars Crew

BBS Signature
TankLee8
TankLee8
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 05:15 PM Reply

yaaaaaaaaa but that would cost a lot of money/time/effort to make so many more bronze tanks besides the other 4. good idea tho i'll giv ya that :3

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 05:20 PM Reply

Maybe in a couple years, with the release of the new portals anything is possible.

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Zombie-Pimp
Zombie-Pimp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 03:50 PM, j-ufo wrote::

Though I do like the medal award system, and hope that it will be further integrated, I don't think that it should be awarded with a tank-award. Maybe some special Medal to be awarded for being the best gamer of the year, to be showcased on ones userpage, and perhaps some prize involved with it (store credit or something).
My primary concern would be that people would use external applications to cheat their way to the medals, in order to win a Tank-award (or as I suggested, a smaller prize)
But I can fully support the idea of rewarding users and audience of Games/movies on the page, since it is a good way to make people interested in them, other websites have been doing that for years, with seemingly great success.
I regularly visit Kongregate for this particular thing alone, and due to them highlighting special challenges and Achievements, I have been drawn to play games, that I have never heard of before.

i agree, medals are awesome, rewards would be pretty cool too but e-penis enlargement should be more than enough incentive for people to want them. Also, if all somebody had to do to get a tank award was play a bunch of flash games all year, it would lower the prestige of the tank awards as a whole.

TacticalShoe
TacticalShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 08:33 PM Reply

I feel like Best Voice Acting would turn into a joke as Egoraptor or TomaMoto would always win because they're really the only fucking voice actors that anyone uses.

Sorry, I feel like I have some bias.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.
Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 8th, 2009 @ 08:41 PM Reply

I think as NGs evolves further than more stuff like this will start to happen. I mean in NO WAY did I thnk that this site would become this way when I first signed up! The evolution of this site pwns all other sites. It has progressed more positively and stronger than any site I have seen. I mean taking suggestions for the site users? WOW! What a concept! Anyway Newgrounds sucks....

II II lI

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 11th, 2009 @ 11:06 AM Reply

Thanks for all these kind words, we're really trying to make NG the best it can be so it's nice to read positive stuff. :)

I would say that awards for WRITING and VOICE acting are very possible as we finally address the long-awaited Writers Portal and Voice acting as a secondary audio portal.

Gamer of the year award would be pretty awesome but we'll wait and see how things progress with the medals first! I can imagine a unique trophy for gamer of the year... Some day we may even want to consider breaking "Artist Awards" and "User Awards" into two categories.

We would love to have TONS of categories but one limiting factor is that we don't want to burn through tank trophies too quickly. We might consider a secondary plaque that could go out to a bunch of sub-categories, for example I would love to have awards for gaming and movie sub-genres.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 11th, 2009 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 3/11/09 11:06 AM, TomFulp wrote:

We would love to have TONS of categories but one limiting factor is that we don't want to burn through tank trophies too quickly.

I agree with that completely, and a plaque, or hell even a certificate, would be loved by ANYONE to receive for their work. Great work with everything and I can't wait to see what the future holds for the site!

II II lI

BBS Signature
Iristorm
Iristorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 11th, 2009 @ 11:48 AM Reply

These are all excellent ideas. I was just about to say I hope Tom Fulp reads this topic, heh.

Zerok
Zerok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Writer
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 11th, 2009 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 3/11/09 11:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: We would love to have TONS of categories but one limiting factor is that we don't want to burn through tank trophies too quickly. We might consider a secondary plaque that could go out to a bunch of sub-categories, for example I would love to have awards for gaming and movie sub-genres.

Having more awards would help amp the excitement of the presentation, especially if you get your office's basement all fancied up like you mentioned a while back. I'm sure people would come out to see fourish awards, but the ceremony would be sort of short (more time for drinking I guess?).

Secondary plaques are quite a common idea - it makes a lot of sense cash-wise, and also makes the big awards seem that much more special.

Zerok blog: PM me if you like music | My (retired) webcomic: Pizza For Guys

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Tank Awards categories Mar. 11th, 2009 @ 12:45 PM Reply

At 3/8/09 02:33 PM, ninjakoopa-33 wrote: "Best Art Style"
This award would go to whoever has the best art style. Every animator has his/her own unique art style, so this award should be given based who's style is the most popular.

Are you being serious?

None