00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blackfog105 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,635,260 Views | 29,794 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-24 19:12:39

Been playing a game that came out a while ago, Second Wind.

What sort of stats and equipment do you need to beat Randall Smith?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-25 09:37:03

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-25 11:56:05

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-25 12:22:19

Find me on Facebook!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-25 13:51:53

At 2/25/15 11:56 AM, DoctorStrongbad wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/653886
Only one of the medals works, even after the update.

After qualifying for a medal, you need to close and reopen the game. I've got all of them.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-25 17:13:34

At 2/24/15 07:12 PM, someaveragechap wrote: Been playing a game that came out a while ago, Second Wind.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/603543
What sort of stats and equipment do you need to beat Randall Smith?

NVM, beat him. I think the lowest your dex needs to be to hit him is at least 55-60.

Where the fuck is the hidden Golden Astronaut?

At 2/14/15 02:00 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Anyone know how to get the secret 'Playrule Magazine Playmates' medal on this one?
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/653008

Click on the old man's magazine at scene 1

No Fap November: 2014 - 2022

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-28 07:40:20

At 2/26/15 09:44 AM, Denton wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/653881

On the win screen, in the middle of the O. Or possibly the lose screen.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-28 13:01:50

At 2/28/15 07:40 AM, RyoSangnoir wrote: On the win screen, in the middle of the O. Or possibly the lose screen.

The win screen. You have to win ftw. lol

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-02-28 16:25:38

At 2/28/15 07:40 AM, RyoSangnoir wrote:
At 2/26/15 09:44 AM, Denton wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/653881
On the win screen, in the middle of the O. Or possibly the lose screen.

I can't believe i actually missed that! It was the win screen btw.

Thank you very much!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-03 03:07:56

Is the medal for this game broken? I've cycled through the game quite a few times now...

Also, hi everyone! It's amazing to see how things have changed after spending a couple years away from NG.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-03 16:29:56

At 3/3/15 03:07 AM, Fooliolo wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/653225
Is the medal for this game broken? I've cycled through the game quite a few times now...

Also, hi everyone! It's amazing to see how things have changed after spending a couple years away from NG.

Seeing as nobody else has unlocked it, I would guess so.

Welcome back. :)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-03 16:32:19

At 3/3/15 03:07 AM, Fooliolo wrote: Also, hi everyone!

Hi Fooliolo. Has it been a year already? Feels like a few months. Back immediately to fixing medals I see. Old habits die hard I suppose.
I sent a message to the author about the stuff.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

For Fracuum, I've managed to get ten (10) in-game Medals; MONEY GET, DEFENSE, MURDER, RICHES and CLEVER, you get right when you meet conditions for them. WIN, MASSACRE, 100% and FLAWLESS, you get all at the same time when you beat the boss provided you meet the conditions for any and all of them. You can get them after beating the boss again for any Medals you didn't get any times before. SWEET you get when beating the boss in Hard mode.

1---MONEY GET: Collect your first coin

2---DEFENSE: Get the Gun

3---MURDER: Kill your first enemy

4---RICHES: Collect every coin in the game in one playthrough

5---WIN: Beat the Boss for the first time

6---MASSACRE: Kill every enemy in one playthrough

7---100%: Visit every room

8---FLAWLESS: Get to the boss and beat it without losing any life (WAY easier in Normal mode)

9---CLEVER: Getting this Medal will unlock Hard mode; when first starting the game, while in "space", keep going down for 30 - 35 screens until you end up going past the final score screen (which will be all ?????????? marks) and to the boss right away. Note that you CANNOT get the gun first or even enter the area first or it won't count

10---SWEET: Unlock hard mode and beat the boss again; this must be done IN Hard mode. After getting the CLEVER Medal, you will have to go all the way out to get the gun past faster moving, faster shooting enemies. Also, you WILL absorb a hit at least one time (the three close together enemies going up and down in a tight hallway at the beginning parts where you ignore them and go up and around clockwise, get the gun, then come back to take them out.

There may be more medals, but I haven't bothered trying to find any more. One might be beat Hard mode without losing any life, although that is almost impossible, due to the fact that bullets fired by enemies are more numerous for some and faster for all; even the boss moves a bit faster in Hard mode. I'm not sure the graphics and movement allow you to even be able to dodge some of the bullets in Hard mode as far as try to kill enemies. Games tend to use nice round numbers like five (5) and ten (10) for the # of achievement type things, so my guess is that ten (10) is the # of achievements for this game.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-04 17:36:44

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-09 15:06:13

I am only able to find four differences in the last picture. As a last resort, I even used the copy+paste trick, but I'm getting nothing. Am I the only one that can't figure this out?

I've also noticed it's a bit glitchy in that some of the differences won't register if you click on the right side instead of the left.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-09 17:31:16

At 3/9/15 03:06 PM, Fooliolo wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/644895
I am only able to find four differences in the last picture. As a last resort, I even used the copy+paste trick, but I'm getting nothing. Am I the only one that can't figure this out?

I've also noticed it's a bit glitchy in that some of the differences won't register if you click on the right side instead of the left.

After looking at the pic for 20 minutes I found out there's a walkthrough made by the author of the game.

In it I found out that there should be something different about the bottle in the bottom right. It's not actually there in the picture but clicking will still register the difference.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-09 21:27:15

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-09 22:27:23

At 3/9/15 09:27 PM, someaveragechap wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/654418
Anyone know how to unlock the Logos medal in this one?

I would like this info as well.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-10 05:54:05

At 3/9/15 10:27 PM, DoctorStrongbad wrote:
At 3/9/15 09:27 PM, someaveragechap wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/654418
Anyone know how to unlock the Logos medal in this one?
I would like this info as well.

It's similar in concept to Ethos and Pathos.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-10 14:31:21

At 3/10/15 05:54 AM, Fooliolo wrote:
It's similar in concept to Ethos and Pathos.

Argh, why didn't I think of that? XD

Thanks Fooliolo.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-11 12:21:27

Find me on Facebook!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-12 12:23:18

Find me on Facebook!

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-12 13:03:58

At 3/12/15 12:23 PM, ixfd64 wrote: New game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/654605

I know you don't post here often, so here's a post from Zachary regarding posting new games. If it's an old game that gets medals I'm all for posting about it, but everyone uses the 'Games With Medals' list, so there's no reason to post new games in this thread. Thank you. =)

At 2/20/15 04:21 PM, Zachary wrote: Okay, so to stop this thread from becoming complete trash and filled with no discussion, people should post more than just a link to the new medals.

You do not have to post every time a game comes out that has medals because there is a list readily available here.

Thanks

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-12 18:38:35

Medals are updated, and appear to work. However, they aren't retroactively applied (curse you Power Loom!), so you may have to restart your game.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-19 00:06:55

Game has been updated, making some of the medals more attainable.

I just discovered that Space Manager apparently uses a cloud save feature, much to my delight and horror. Delightful, because now I can interchangeably use computers to run this game. Horrible, because this game doesn't have a reset function, meaning if you hit a medal trigger, and it fails for some reason, you are SOL.

Is this a supported feature of the Newgrounds API, and when was it introduced?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2015-03-27 13:50:15

Just a heads up for this game, it didn't unlock medals right away. But when I refreshed it, the medals sent. So if you're having trouble with this one, try refreshing. Worked for me.

At 3/25/15 09:53 PM, Fooliolo wrote: Is this a supported feature of the Newgrounds API, and when was it introduced?

Apparently it's in much older games such as JUGGERNAUT: Awakening. Hmm....

Anyways, on to what I'm here about...

I decided to crunch the numbers on how long it would take to obtain the hardest medal in this idle game (750 quadrillion Quids), and I found some interesting things.

Just like every other idle game, the more of an asset that you have, the more expensive it becomes. Unlike most other idle games, the assets get additively expensive, not exponentially. More specifically, the cost of the next asset is:

base + base/3*n = base * (1 + n/3)

where base is the base price of the asset, and n is the number of that asset that you currently own. This means that if you depend on the passive Q/min and not your activities, the first asset that you own will take the longest to pay for the cost of the next asset, and the two assets you own will take a little less time to pay for the cost of the third asset.

For example, let's consider the first type of asset, the Repair Workshop. Its base cost is 45, and it increases in cost by 15 every time you buy one. Each Repair Workshop produces Quid at a rate of 1 Q/min. If Repair Workshops were all that you bought, here's how long it will take for them to produce enough Quid to pay for the next Repair Workshop:

60 / 1 = 60 min
75 / 2 = 37.5 min
90 / 3 = 30 min
105 / 4 = 26.25 min
(45 + 15*n) / n ~= 15 min

As the number of Workshops increase to infinity, it will take 15 minutes to pay for the next workshop, ad finitum. Putting it in another perspective, each Workshop works to pay off a part of the increment cost of 15, plus an equal share of the base price of 45. Since there is an extremely large number of Workshops to help pay for the base price, this number turns out to practically 0. We can use this math with the other types of assets as well, or even group of assets.

Doing some rough, sloppy math is faster than figuring out the precise algorithm (or coding up a computer program) , so that's what I started doing next. It becomes evident that to get to 750 quadrillion Quids in the fastest way possible, you'll have to buy a certain number of assets in a certain order (as dictated by the Ratio number), even if it means waiting over an hour to get the next Radar Installation. Next, we figure out the optimal build path of assets, the ratio of optimal assets to 1 Radar Installation, and how much production this set of assets is.

So first, what is the optimal build path? This is the order in which you buy assets with the highest Ratio (I have no idea how the author calculates this number, but I figured out another number that is analogous for this purpose). In the beginning, you'll have lots of the other assets before you buy your first Radar Installation, thanks to base pricing and production/cost ratios. However, we're interested in the long term, so we'll drop the base price and assume that the number of each type of asset owned is arbitrarily large.

This is where rough math comes in, and the margin for error can be as great as 10%. In the long run, the optimal build path will involve 1,568,194 Quids worth of incremental cost of assets per Radar Installation, including the increment cost of the Radar Installation, which generates 20402.47 Quids per minute. This translates into buying 1 new Radar Installation roughly every 77 minutes (high estimate, actual time is lower), assuming you adhere to the optimal build path.

So, great, we can buy the optimal build ratio of assets, which includes 1 Radar Installation, every 77 minutes. But when do we stop buying assets, and just play the waiting game? This depends on when waiting 77 minutes to buy assets no longer saves at least 77 minutes waiting for the 750 quadrillion Quids.

goal / (20402*x) - goal / (20402*(x+1)) = 77

Here, we are saying "find the amount of time it takes to reach our goal with 20402*x production", and we're looking for a difference of 77 minutes between rates of 20402*x production and 20402*(x+1) production, where the goal is the Quid record we're looking to achieve, and x is the number of Radar Installations, assuming the optimal build path was taken. Doing algebraic math, we get:

x^2 + x - goal / (77 * 20402) = 0

Solve the quadratic equation to get two answers: a nonsensical negative number, and 690,945.163 Radar Installations plus other assets in an optimal build.

I don't know about you, but even with the relatively linear scaling of this game, that's a ridiculous amount of assets. With a production rate of 14,096,987,960 Q/min, it will take 53,202,854.550 minutes, or over 101 years to get 750 quadrillion Quid. I'm not even sure if you can go over 9999 of one type of asset (it takes just over 750 million Quid to get 9999 Repair Workshops, which I'm hardly anywhere close to). Oh, and it's going to take about just as long to get those 690,945 Radar Installations using the optimal build, so make that 202 years to get 750 quadrillion Quid.

Let me know if I did something wrong somewhere.

@Nijsse