New Topic Respond to this Topic
Shantom
Shantom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 05:03 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 04:56 PM, EventHorizon wrote: Really?, it seems to me that the secret medals are remained secret...

Click on them.

EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 05:31 PM Reply

Thanks GD. We all love ya, bugs and all.

EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 05:03 PM, Shantom wrote:
At 3/12/13 04:56 PM, EventHorizon wrote: Really?, it seems to me that the secret medals are remained secret...
Click on them.

Ops, you're right, I found a problem, I got some medals, but the points on my account have not changed, you have the same problem?

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 05:40 PM, EventHorizon wrote: Ops, you're right, I found a problem, I got some medals, but the points on my account have not changed, you have the same problem?

Yea.. :x

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 07:03 PM Reply

Great to see the bug fixed, and my medal score just jumped a few thousand with the update. Woo. Good times! Also new game:

• Mafia Stories
    Mafia Stories by kokos0102

Become a mafia don in a few clicks. The world is yours!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 17+

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 09:36 PM Reply

• Milford the Ghosts
    Milford the Ghosts by Colorvade

A shmup about a ghost who fights randomly generated enemies.

Score
    3.71 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Not my night for medal games.

The very last medal didnt unlock. #*$($#

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 09:40 PM Reply

At 3/12/13 07:03 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Great to see the bug fixed, and my medal score just jumped a few thousand with the update. Woo. Good times! Also new game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612913

So like I said, there was a new bug. Anything that was unlocked before about an hour ago didn't get applied to your total scores. Frankly its not something I can easily update automatically, so if you want your totals updated, shoot me a PM with a link to the medal that didn't apply and I'll get you adjusted. Offer is only valid for medals unlocked today that didn't apply!

Also I had to fix the bug that shows secret medal details, but I got a small compromise. At least now you can see the name of the medal, so you'll know what to ask about if you need help unlocking it.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 12th, 2013 @ 09:48 PM Reply

actually, to be more accurate, the bug only effects games you never played before today. So just link me to the actual game and I'll just apply any medals for the entire game.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:33 AM Reply

At 3/12/13 09:48 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: actually, to be more accurate, the bug only effects games you never played before today. So just link me to the actual game and I'll just apply any medals for the entire game.

Further clarification... if you unlocked a medal in a game and it didn't unlock to your profile, thats not a bug on our end, its probably a broken medal. I found a couple that look like they used to work but the last time they were unlocked was like a year ago, so I marked them as broken.

BBS Signature
Nijsse
Nijsse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 59
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 10:33 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 3/12/13 09:48 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: actually, to be more accurate, the bug only effects games you never played before today. So just link me to the actual game and I'll just apply any medals for the entire game.
Further clarification... if you unlocked a medal in a game and it didn't unlock to your profile, thats not a bug on our end, its probably a broken medal. I found a couple that look like they used to work but the last time they were unlocked was like a year ago, so I marked them as broken.

Interesting. It would be easy for a few of us to give you a pretty accurate list of broken medals. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few medals out there that haven't been unlocked for over a year, but definitely work. For instance the 100pt medals in games like Lastman, Alkie Kong 2 and Icy Caves of Frustration. I'm really excited by all the great new features you've been working on, I just hope I won't lose some of the extremely hard medals I earned in the past. =)

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 11:21 AM Reply

New game:

• Desktop Racing 2
    Desktop Racing 2 by royalin

Desktop Racing is back! Equipped with upgrades, cars and wild stunts!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Find me on Facebook!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 11:33 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 10:33 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I found a couple that look like they used to work but the last time they were unlocked was like a year ago, so I marked them as broken.

That makes me curious, unless the API is actually removed from the flash, how can medals just break over time? Is the old version of the API somehow incompatible with the updated medal system?

Irrelevant to question/quote above, new game:

• Desktop Racing 2
    Desktop Racing 2 by royalin

Desktop Racing is back! Equipped with upgrades, cars and wild stunts!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 01:53 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 11:21 AM, ixfd64 wrote: New game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/612958

Is the medals broken or what? I won the 4th level race and didn't receive a medal.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:19 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 11:33 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/13/13 10:33 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: I found a couple that look like they used to work but the last time they were unlocked was like a year ago, so I marked them as broken.
That makes me curious, unless the API is actually removed from the flash, how can medals just break over time? Is the old version of the API somehow incompatible with the updated medal system?

Irrelevant to question/quote above, new game:

Uasually what I do is look at our database and compare the last unlock date with the last time the core game file was updated. If medals have been unlocked since the last update, then I open up Fiddler and give the game a play. The first thing I check via fiddler is whether it's calling our ngads.com domain to pull the medal details from our servers. Then I play for a while and see what happens when I SHOULD get a medal. If it doesn't send a call to the ngads.com domain, its pretty obvious that the game itself is broken.

Sometimes what happens is the game runs some other API from another company, and those can sometimes cause unexpected issues in flash as the server-side stuff for those api's changes. Sometimes it's just broken updates in your browser too... most notoriously in Chrome.

A good example is *Flight*. It seems like the medals in that game work, but every now and then it won't try connecting to the ngads.com domain when you fire the game up. It seems like its due to another API they are using possibly breaking the security sandbox or something.

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 02:44 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 01:53 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote:
At 3/13/13 11:21 AM, ixfd64 wrote: New game:
Is the medals broken or what? I won the 4th level race and didn't receive a medal.

I didn't get the one for the 12th race.
I'm not getting any points either?

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 03:06 PM Reply

Me neither. Not since last night when the last medal of Milford the Ghosts didnt unlock.

Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 03:09 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 02:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Stuff

Thanks for the thorough commentary! When you mention broken browser updates, do you mean the flash files, flash itself, something else? Is it an issue cured by clearing the cache? Btw, when medals don't immediately appear as unlocked, is this due to high server load? Is it also possible for the server to receive too many requests at the same time and not process all of them? Since there are occasionally 504 Bad Gateway errors on the site I'm wondering if something similar could happen with requests sent through flash, without error messages being displayed?

Also, it looks like the list of games with medals is updated automatically (?), but still many of the submissions listed no longer exist, or no longer have medals. How does that work? Just on this page there are 6 or 7 HTD submissions that have been 'removed by the moderator team'. Hope you don't mind answering all these questions :)

At 3/13/13 01:53 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: Is the medals broken or what? I won the 4th level race and didn't receive a medal.

I won trophies for races 4 and 8 in the game, but unlocked the medals for races 4 and 12, so... that's strange. Doesn't seem to be working like it should. :/

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 03:16 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 03:09 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/13/13 02:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Stuff
Thanks for the thorough commentary! When you mention broken browser updates, do you mean the flash files, flash itself, something else? Is it an issue cured by clearing the cache? Btw, when medals don't immediately appear as unlocked, is this due to high server load? Is it also possible for the server to receive too many requests at the same time and not process all of them? Since there are occasionally 504 Bad Gateway errors on the site I'm wondering if something similar could happen with requests sent through flash, without error messages being displayed?

Chrome in particular does a lot of self updates. There have been a LOT of updates that just break the flash plugin's ability to do a lot of things. We've seen things like our audio player just stop working, api connections failing, etc etc. Usually with a few days Google has a fix released.

In regards to the 504 type errors, what I look for is that a game at least TRIES contacting the server. If there's ever a case the api server times out, it still shows an attempted connection to ngads.com in Fiddler. In those cases I assume the medals is okay.

Also, it looks like the list of games with medals is updated automatically (?), but still many of the submissions listed no longer exist, or no longer have medals. How does that work? Just on this page there are 6 or 7 HTD submissions that have been 'removed by the moderator team'. Hope you don't mind answering all these questions :)

The gameswithmedals page still needs some love. It hasn't been updated since the redesign launched, and since then we added the ability for moderators and authors to un-publish stuff. Since this page is older, it just ignores that unpublished status. What it DOES look for are medals that have not been removed my moderators, and that the medals have been unlocked at least once.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 03:51 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 03:16 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Most stuff

That clarifies it, thanks.

What it DOES look for are medals that have not been removed my moderators, and that the medals have been unlocked at least once.

And yet the games mentioned show a 'ERROR - This project has been removed by the Newgrounds moderation team.' message. Shouldn't they be showing a 'The creator/creators have devided to remove this project. It may return later on.' message instead?

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 05:18 PM Reply

New game:

• Shotgun vs Zombies
    Shotgun vs Zombies by pzUH

You, Shotgun, Zombies, Blast 'em!!!

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

Find me on Facebook!

Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 06:09 PM Reply

• Epic Battle Fantasy 4
    Epic Battle Fantasy 4 by matt-likes-swords

Go on a huge turn-based RPG adventure, and save the world again.

Score
    4.71 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Just beat this game on normal difficulty. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this game for medal rushing, but it's still a really good game xD

And then there's the issue about a few medals. Hitting level 40? Grindy as hell, but possible I guess (it is also listed at 0 medal point). Hitting for 3 million damage in a single attack? What the hell!? Seems like a new game+ feature to me. I tested some absurd damage numbers against a gold dragon, which was weakened (-50% darkness resist) and debuffed -50% mdef. Using Natalie equipped with the darkness-boosting Hela's Staff and buffed to +70% matk, I tried out two skills: Cosmic Monolith summon (450 magic power, 100% dark damage), and Sacrifice (420 magic power, 30% dark damage). Using Cosmic Monolith, I dealt just under 600k damage, non-critical. Using Sacrifice, I dealt 420k damage, non-critical. I'm under the impression that the summon power is only based on level (33 at the time), but the results speak for themselves. Theoretically, the damage can be further increased by a critical hit and freezing the target (but since this is the gold dragon, this will be VERY difficult to do), but even then it might not pass 2 million damage. But at the end of the day, I suppose that just grinding for levels (exponential stat increase) and buying stat boosters will eventually get you to 3 million damage.

Some notes and tips:
-- Hidden treasures occasionally twinkle, giving away their location. Of course, if you use the mouse to play, you can just check every tile to see if it has something.
-- If you have talked to an NPC previously, and then their dialogue later changes (typically because you completed a quest), an exclamation mark will appear above their head briefly. Sometimes you can get hidden dialogue or treasure. For example, if you defeat the Praetorian, talking to the robot in the cooling room will give you some Plasma Orbs.
-- Chilli Sauce cannot be bought, and can only be found as treasure/drops. Drop rates are typically very low.
-- Just like the previous game EBF3, Matt sucks at clearing waves of enemies. He is still the best boss DPSer however, capable of hitting for over 60k just on counterattacks alone.
-- Defeating the glitch in the industrial area gives you access to the best summon in the game, both in raw power, and in element damage. Its SP cost (150) is prohibitively high however.
-- If a character is stunned/berserked/slimed/dead or whatever, and hasn't taken his turn yet, you can still swap him out with your backup.
-- Finishing a battle with a dead character means he will receive no exp... and probably AP? I dunno. Point being, don't let them finish dead.
-- The game does a decent job of handing you rare crafting materials so you can upgrade your gear. However, if you're looking to upgrade everything fully, be prepared to grind for money to buy all the other stuff (costs 500 - 6000 each, in massive quantities).
-- I recommend giving the dedicated healer all the status immunities (Syphon, Dispel, Stun), and plenty of evasion (so you can dodge other bad status-inducing attacks) so that they are ready and able whenever you find yourself in a nasty situation. Also, don't have them in the first party slot, or else you won't get a chance to cure Berserk before wasting their turn. For Natalie, the Pope armor and Dreamcatcher staff covers most of your bases, and they have excellent resists against Godcat herself.

At 3/13/13 02:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Uasually what I do is look at our database and compare the last unlock date with the last time the core game file was updated. If medals have been unlocked since the last update, then I open up Fiddler and give the game a play. The first thing I check via fiddler is whether it's calling our ngads.com domain to pull the medal details from our servers. Then I play for a while and see what happens when I SHOULD get a medal. If it doesn't send a call to the ngads.com domain, its pretty obvious that the game itself is broken.

On rare occasions, the medal CAN be obtained under the specified conditions, but there are extra conditions that have to be met that aren't obvious, to the point where one can claim that the medal is broken. The best examples of this were the "get/do X amount of Y" in Dillo Hills by fexLabs. I made a post detailing this a while back, but I'm too lazy to dig it up atm.

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

Matt has given some insight on how to hit 3,000,000 damage: http://kupo707.deviantart.com/journal/3mil-Damage-357600218

Find me on Facebook!

Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 08:02 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 06:12 PM, ixfd64 wrote: Matt has given some insight on how to hit 3,000,000 damage: http://kupo707.deviantart.com/journal/3mil-Damage-357600218

Derp, forgot about Black Hole >.< Regardless, it's good to know that it can be done well before level 40. I personally think it will be easier to do the feat on a gold dragon rather than a chimera bear, since despite the added frustrations (bless, 70% freeze resistance), it's more vulnerable to darkness.

I got just under 1.2 million damage with level 33 characters on a frozen gold dragon. But I haven't spammed cakes on Natalie yet, so....

Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Viper
Viper
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 13th, 2013 @ 10:56 PM Reply

At 3/13/13 06:12 PM, ixfd64 wrote: Matt has given some insight on how to hit 3,000,000 damage: http://kupo707.deviantart.com/journal/3mil-Damage-357600218

Shit.
I always spread all the stat changing stuff (like those lollipops, cake, and shit like that) evenly across everyone...should probably start giving JUST Natalie the cake then I suppose.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 01:05 AM Reply

Congrats you new mods.
OMFG look at your shiny new auras!

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 04:24 AM Reply

At 3/13/13 06:09 PM, Fooliolo wrote: -- Hidden treasures occasionally twinkle, giving away their location. Of course, if you use the mouse to play, you can just check every tile to see if it has something.

That wasn't too hard to do with the keyboard either, I guess it's a habit. :) Thanks for the info btw, I was wondering how getting the 3 million damage would even be remotely possible. Still haven't reached the 300k badge yet. As for leveling up, do you have any tips on how to speed up the process? It seems like reaching lv40 is going to take an insanely long time.

At 3/14/13 01:05 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: Congrats you new mods.

???

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 04:24 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
???

Congrats to Nijsse, Shantom, and EventHorizon, and EdyKel.

May your auras shine like streams of bats piss.

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 05:58 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:38 AM, BrokenDeck wrote:
At 3/14/13 04:24 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
???
Congrats to Nijsse, Shantom, and EventHorizon, and EdyKel.

May your auras shine like streams of bats piss.

Wow, that's awesome. Medal mods? What can you do?

I'm so jealous right now.

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 06:16 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:38 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: Congrats to Nijsse, Shantom, and EventHorizon, and EdyKel.

Ah, they're mods! Congrats on the upgrade! :)

At 3/14/13 05:58 AM, Knuckstrike wrote: Wow, that's awesome. Medal mods? What can you do?

Also curious. Does this mean the gameswithmedals page will start getting organized?

EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 07:43 AM Reply

At 3/14/13 05:58 AM, Knuckstrike wrote: Wow, that's awesome. Medal mods? What can you do?

Currently we have the power to remove medals from any game, we are currently updating the "Games with Medals"page.

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature