Be a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

  • 1,891,115 Views
  • 30,769 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Member since: May. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 01:11:17 Reply

At 3/19/13 12:33 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Post on my userpage is up, btw. Anyway, anyone know why I have negative points (and medals) on these games? o_O

Maneuver 2/6 medals ( 4) -40/185 points ( 225)
Spaceland Adventure 2 -7/0 medals ( 7) -150/0 points ( 150)
Warlords 2 Rise of Demons 2/9 medals ( 7) -85/275 points ( 360)

I actually have 3 medals on Maneuver and Warlords 2, and there's a space for Spaceland on my medals page but no medals showing.

There's apparently a glitch or two with the medal system when people did spring cleaning with the broken medals. You know how it is; new things don't work perfectly the first time around.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Maneuver and Warlords 2 Rise of Demons, but Spaceland Adventure 2 got nuked, since the author of that game did multiple things to fk with the system and made the medals unobtainable.


Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

Bobogoobo
Bobogoobo
  • Member since: Jun. 14, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 50
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 02:20:45 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:11 AM, Fooliolo wrote: There's apparently a glitch or two with the medal system when people did spring cleaning with the broken medals. You know how it is; new things don't work perfectly the first time around.

I honestly don't know what's going on with Maneuver and Warlords 2 Rise of Demons, but Spaceland Adventure 2 got nuked, since the author of that game did multiple things to fk with the system and made the medals unobtainable.

Ah, makes sense. This makes me suspicious that there may be other negative-value medals out there. Hopefully it'll get sorted out eventually.

Anyway, I've implemented Cyberdevil's suggestions for the program and made some other changes. Updated versions of the files are up and linked from my userpage. Let me know what you think and any other suggestions or anything you have. :D


See this news post for information on a program that does all kinds of neat things with medal statistics.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 06:16:44 Reply

At 3/16/13 08:18 PM, MatthewF wrote: Somehow I lost all the keys I had in this game.............

I just lost the first two keys today, and it appears all the achievements that unlocked earlier have started popping up again, though they're still unlocked as medals. The save file I had in slot 2 also disappeared (just a copy though), but apart from that everything looks the same. Hope there's nothing left that I need to open with those two first keys...

At 3/19/13 02:20 AM, Bobogoobo wrote: Anyway, I've implemented Cyberdevil's suggestions for the program and made some other changes. Updated versions of the files are up and linked from my userpage. Let me know what you think and any other suggestions or anything you have. :D

Thanks, the percentage display is a nice sense of progress. :)

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 09:23:07 Reply

Looking back on it now I think all the keys are one use. At least that is what the description says, I probably jumped the gun. Oh well I found all the summon monsters I needed from chests anyways.


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:02:03 Reply

At 3/18/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: In other words, I'm still having problems with even though I get medals for some of the new games, they don't count toward my total medal score, and I'm wondering if anyoneelse is having these issues and if they know when they will be fixed.

PsychoGoldfish is already looking into it. It shouldn't take long... hopefully ._.

VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:28:32 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:02 PM, Shantom wrote:
At 3/18/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: In other words, I'm still having problems with even though I get medals for some of the new games, they don't count toward my total medal score, and I'm wondering if anyoneelse is having these issues and if they know when they will be fixed.
PsychoGoldfish is already looking into it. It shouldn't take long... hopefully ._.

Thanks, I'm glad someone actually saw that post and took time to answer it. I found at least 5-6 games so far that are doing that, and I hope that PG will have the problem fixed soon. I know he probably has a lot on his plate, but he is pretty good at what he does.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:40:05 Reply

On a maybe-related note, have all new medals had 0 points until the first user unlocks them, or they're approved? I haven't stumbled upon any games like that before. Wondering if this is a change introduced with the recent update.

Also, one new medal added for this game:

  • Egg Crush
    Egg Crush by Penry

    A beautiful Easter Egg themed, physics group matching game.

    Score
    3.31 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    577 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Member since: May. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 13:42:11 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:40 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: On a maybe-related note, have all new medals had 0 points until the first user unlocks them, or they're approved?

Until the 1st user unlocks them.


The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 14:09:11 Reply

At 3/19/13 01:42 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: Until the 1st user unlocks them.

Does testing the medals before they're published count?

Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 15:50:20 Reply

At 3/19/13 02:09 PM, Cyberdevil wrote: Does testing the medals before they're published count?

Dunno :P
But just to clarify, right now 0 points medals are medals that are not obtained by anyone. They could be:
- broken.
- impossible/unachievable.
- unapproved.
- or actually not obtained by anyone yet (the medal is working fine.)
The first 3 cases are for old medal games mostly. I think new medals are working fine.

Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Member since: May. 25, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 17:01:47 Reply

I'm pretty sure they will be approved if someone got it while testing. There are a lot of medals that have only been unlocked by the author, so that has to be in the testing period.


The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 17:35:59 Reply

At 3/19/13 05:01 PM, Knuckstrike wrote: There are a lot of medals that have only been unlocked by the author, so that has to be in the testing period.

True, which is unfair with the new "First users who unlocked medals". Authors shouldn't be allowed to participate.
Example.

VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-19 22:04:44 Reply

New Medal Game:

  • The Grey Rainbow
    The Grey Rainbow by BlackOlive

    A hand-drawn, point and click adventure. It's got a nice story!

    Score
    3.86 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    13,916 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+

yet once again the medals work but don't count toward your medal count. I'm just not going to play any more new games til this issue is solved.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 06:33:47 Reply

At 3/19/13 05:35 PM, Shantom wrote: True, which is unfair with the new "First users who unlocked medals". Authors shouldn't be allowed to participate.

As an author, I kind of like that perk. After all the hard work developing something it feels good to get some extra merit. :) Thanks for all the answers btw.

At 3/19/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: yet once again the medals work but don't count toward your medal count. I'm just not going to play any more new games til this issue is solved.

Last time there was an issue like this the medal score just jumped for everyone once it was fixed, I'm hoping it'll be the same here.

gamejunkie
gamejunkie
  • Member since: Dec. 16, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 08:14:05 Reply

New Medal Game.

  • Loss
    Loss by amidos2006

    A small game done in less than 24 hours about a quote.

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    45 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 09:58:32 Reply

The medal system appears to be working fine for me and I am getting all the medal points added to my score.

  • The Interview Codex
    The Interview Codex by deathink

    An inside look of the world's greatest online community!

    Score
    3.70 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    8,417 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

Does anyone know the Dead Paradox, Yeah, Supa Sumba Pawdy, and only 5$ each medals?

I tried clicking on most if not all the interviews


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 10:50:28 Reply

At 3/20/13 06:33 AM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/19/13 10:04 PM, VJF wrote: yet once again the medals work but don't count toward your medal count. I'm just not going to play any more new games til this issue is solved.
Last time there was an issue like this the medal score just jumped for everyone once it was fixed, I'm hoping it'll be the same here.

I really hope you are right on this. I just played Rocket Tossers (another new easy game), gained every single medal (and there are at least two 100 point medals) and none of them counted toward my medal points. I just hope this issue resolves itself soon or I'm stuck playing the old games I skipped because I wasn't interested in them.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 11:12:32 Reply

Someone is managed to get the medal called "Lost Ruins" in Epic Battle Fantasy 4?, I think it is in this place, but I can not find it, can anyone help me?

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips


[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
Ray80
Ray80
  • Member since: Feb. 4, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 12:13:40 Reply

New, all medal work:

  • Epic Metal Knights
    Epic Metal Knights by mastornadettofernet

    Try to obtain an epic breakfast in a fantasy rock metal world.

    Score
    3.23 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    1,560 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+


BBS Signature
MatthewF
MatthewF
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Musician
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 12:48:07 Reply

At 3/20/13 11:12 AM, EventHorizon wrote: Someone is managed to get the medal called "Lost Ruins" in Epic Battle Fantasy 4?, I think it is in this place, but I can not find it, can anyone help me?

The directions are in the blue scroll......it should also be listed in the walkthrough link located in game


Excuse me, I'm looking for a car that's been tricked out to look like an ice cream truck.
I could use a strapping young man to do some chores around the house!
AHHH! JACKPOT!

BBS Signature
Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 56
Writer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 13:26:03 Reply

At 3/20/13 12:13 PM, Ray80 wrote: New, all medal work:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613317

Anyone know how to get the Uranium medal in this one?

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 14:50:23 Reply

New game:

  • Barbarium
    Barbarium by Hypnohustler

    Barbarium is an action platformer with laserguns and swords

    Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    30 Views
    Rated
    Ages 13+


Find me on Facebook!

EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Member since: Nov. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 15:00:12 Reply

At 3/20/13 12:48 PM, MatthewF wrote: The directions are in the blue scroll......it should also be listed in the walkthrough link located in game

Thanks, I had not read the walkthrough written by Matt :/


[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
Fooliolo
Fooliolo
  • Member since: May. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 15:18:02 Reply

At 3/20/13 03:00 PM, EventHorizon wrote:
At 3/20/13 12:48 PM, MatthewF wrote: The directions are in the blue scroll......it should also be listed in the walkthrough link located in game
Thanks, I had not read the walkthrough written by Matt :/

More specifically though, you need to get the blue scroll, turn it in for the NPC quest, and THEN find the ruins.

You could actually read the scroll description when you encounter the quest for the first time. But I guess matt-likes-swords wasn't going to have any of that trickery xD


Medal Games in a Nutshell: a general overview of how to earn NG medals!

VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 15:52:59 Reply

Has anyone else recently lost medal points (again)? I leave with 163,360, and come back home and have 163,125. What is wrong with the system! First I don't get the points the medals are supposed to give me, then I lose medal points for no reason. Getting sick of this.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Programmer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 16:35:53 Reply

At 3/20/13 03:52 PM, VJF wrote: Has anyone else recently lost medal points (again)? I leave with 163,360, and come back home and have 163,125. What is wrong with the system! First I don't get the points the medals are supposed to give me, then I lose medal points for no reason. Getting sick of this.

The scores SHOULD be up to date now. There was a bug with the medal removal stuff that was allowing the same medal to be removed multiple times. I had to repair scores for valid medals, but there were some records in the database with negative points, which made some scores look way lower than they should be. Those are cleaned up now, and new games seem to be applying points properly.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
VJF
VJF
  • Member since: Dec. 19, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Movie Buff
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 16:57:45 Reply

At 3/20/13 04:35 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote:
At 3/20/13 03:52 PM, VJF wrote: Has anyone else recently lost medal points (again)? I leave with 163,360, and come back home and have 163,125. What is wrong with the system! First I don't get the points the medals are supposed to give me, then I lose medal points for no reason. Getting sick of this.
The scores SHOULD be up to date now. There was a bug with the medal removal stuff that was allowing the same medal to be removed multiple times. I had to repair scores for valid medals, but there were some records in the database with negative points, which made some scores look way lower than they should be. Those are cleaned up now, and new games seem to be applying points properly.

Thanks PG. Sorry to bitch about the points and stuff so much. Just disappointing when you get home and lose points or don't get the ones you should, lol.


"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature
Shantom
Shantom
  • Member since: Aug. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 42
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 17:03:44 Reply

At 3/20/13 09:58 AM, MatthewF wrote: The medal system appears to be working fine for me and I am getting all the medal points added to my score.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613269
Does anyone know the Dead Paradox, Yeah, Supa Sumba Pawdy, and only 5$ each medals?

I tried clicking on most if not all the interviews

I clicked on all of them to get all the medals. You probably missed some of them.
Just click on certain interviews to get medals. No tricks involved.
(I don't remember how I got these medals exactly :x)

Also, 2nd medal in this game got fixed:

  • Diamond Craze
    Diamond Craze by pinoygamegeek

    A stacking one button platform game.

    Score
    3.09 / 5.00
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    1,255 Views
    Rated
    Everyone

EdyKel
EdyKel
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-20 18:10:37 Reply

At 3/20/13 01:26 PM, Cyberdevil wrote:
At 3/20/13 12:13 PM, Ray80 wrote: New, all medal work:
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/613317
Anyone know how to get the Uranium medal in this one?

You have to click on the blue orb in Ganondorf's room.

ixfd64
ixfd64
  • Member since: Oct. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2013-03-21 01:07:35 Reply

I just finished Utopian Mining. Unfortunately, Newgrounds went down earlier today, and some of the medals did not save, and only the "Rich Robot" was resent. Anyone know how to resend the other ones, preferably without starting over?


Find me on Facebook!