00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MovementalStudio just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

2,624,625 Views | 29,792 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

As many of you know, when

was released, so was the NG Medal System (please thank PsychoGoldfish for all his hard work towards making this possible!). At the time of this thread's inception, only Portal Defenders and

have activated medals for you to earn.

I'm making this thread for two reasons: First, for people to post links to new games/flash that implement medals, so one can easily scroll through and find 'em. Second, I figure we can share our tips and tricks on how to get medals here, since it's going to happen anyway.

When it comes to SECRET MEDALS, I'll ask you to be vague at best. If a game authour makes a medal secret, they've done so for a reason. So do not discuss SECRET MEDALS to any specific extent. I'll be monitoring this thread (as will other mods, I assume) for such posts and will remove them. I'll also remove duplicate game link posts - please browse through posts made after a game's release date to make sure that someone else hasn't already linked it.

Please keep it to these two topics. If they ever implement a "level" system to go with points, or if you're inclined to mark your 1,000 point milestones (or whatever), please post those remarks in the Level Up Lounge.

Have fun!

Self-published fiction: Mostly Lies

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 17:09:55

Quick note: In the near future a collection will be made that contains ALL games with medals in it, rendering the first goal of this topic redundant. Still, I think the "tips" component is still worthwhile.

General chit chat about the medals I suppose is fine as well. =)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 17:11:52

At 3/6/09 05:09 PM, Zerok wrote: Quick note: In the near future a collection will be made that contains ALL games with medals in it,

That's the best part, good idea making a thread like this, full of info n shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 18:09:36

At 3/6/09 05:09 PM, Zerok wrote: Quick note: In the near future a collection will be made that contains ALL games with medals in it.

That's good. I was going to come in here and mention something like that, but I guess you beat me too it.

On a side note, am I the only one that hasn't beaten Portal Defenders yet?

Now with 100% more Steam! lI Minecraft you say? 63.246.149.6 II XBL: WorseThanMonday II

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 18:20:34

At 3/6/09 06:09 PM, xports wrote: On a side note, am I the only one that hasn't beaten Portal Defenders yet?

No, I haven't beaten it either. I just can't beat Psycho Goldfish. :/
Besides, my browser keeps crashing when playing flash games lately. :(

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 18:56:21

At 3/6/09 06:09 PM, xports wrote: On a side note, am I the only one that hasn't beaten Portal Defenders yet?

After beating Wadolf for the first time, it seems almost hard not to beat him. I'm trying to get Horde Fighter, though I always end up killing Wade before I can face twenty of them. It's a lot easier to win when you've unlocked Bob, as well, his strength and vitality is amazing, and you can easily win the game with no need for bombs or guts.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 20:07:15

At 3/6/09 06:09 PM, xports wrote:
On a side note, am I the only one that hasn't beaten Portal Defenders yet?

If you meant didn't beat Wadolf, then yeah

Maybe

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 21:22:01

Was expecting this thread. I can't get the Nose Diver medal and I've died on each wave, several times. Unless it means each set of enemies on each wave... Alkie Kong 2 has like impossible medals, but I guess that's why they are worth a lot more, although the Olympian should be worth more than the Survivalist due to the clear difference in difficulty.

Portal Defenders is easy if you realise that enemies will only attack if directly left or right, not below or above. This allows for a sorta 'sneak' attack.

Side note: I don't like having to disable Adblock, is there a specific filter I can use?

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 21:23:21

At 3/6/09 05:06 PM, Zerok wrote: So do not discuss SECRET MEDALS to any specific extent.

Knew it would happen.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 21:40:53

I recently started playing Alkie Kong 2, just got the 6-pack and 'don't get hurt on level 3' medals.
Drunken Deity is most certainly going to have my work cut out for me.

At 3/6/09 06:20 PM, Haggard wrote: I just can't beat Psycho Goldfish. :/

What I do is lure his cronies really far away from him, which usually enacts him to do his specialty fish toss maneuver, while luring the cronies to hit each other with their buzzsaws.

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 23:03:50

This medal system seems like a ripoff of Kongregate's achievement feature. The only different is we call them medals instead of badges and our user levels aren't based on the points we get from these achievements.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 23:48:21

At 3/6/09 09:22 PM, Wylo wrote: Was expecting this thread. I can't get the Nose Diver medal and I've died on each wave, several times. Unless it means each set of enemies on each wave... Alkie Kong 2 has like impossible medals, but I guess that's why they are worth a lot more, although the Olympian should be worth more than the Survivalist due to the clear difference in difficulty.

Man, you've gotten a lot of those awards.. I only played it one night, I'm determined to get some more, albeit I had drank a little bit that night.. I'm not sure if that helps or not to beating a beer stealing monkey man, haha.

Yeah Olympain should probably be worth more.. I guess 75 points? I don't think Survivalist only being 25 sounds good, so I guess that would be the best bet?

Portal Defenders is easy if you realise that enemies will only attack if directly left or right, not below or above. This allows for a sorta 'sneak' attack.

Yeah once you learn to just run up and down, or if fast enough around them while running up and down, you realize it's pretty easy. Once I got the strategy down, I beat the game almost every time I played.

At 3/6/09 11:03 PM, InnerChild548 wrote: This medal system seems like a ripoff of Kongregate's achievement feature. The only different is we call them medals instead of badges and our user levels aren't based on the points we get from these achievements.

This concept has been under works for a long time. Every time someone accuses NG of ripping off Kongregate's achievement feature, I die a little inside :c

I seriously can't wait for Dad N' Me to get awards.. I'm looking forward to kicking that game's ass again :3

What classic NG games would you guys like to see with awards?

blobstagramblobsite

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-06 23:54:41

At 3/6/09 11:03 PM, InnerChild548 wrote: This medal system seems like a ripoff of Kongregate's achievement feature. The only different is we call them medals instead of badges and our user levels aren't based on the points we get from these achievements.

Apart from the fact that Newgrounds Medal feature has been in secret works since 2004 and Kongregate has been around since late 2006 in which they didn't put the achievements on straight away. Yeah, well a ripoff there.

Fuck off back to Kongregate.

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 01:13:02

I can't play any of the medal games. Might be something to do with my university network, because I turned off my adblocker (which the author comments on Portal Defenders says to do if the game won't load), but it still doesn't work. :(

Tried it on a friend's computer (who lives in the same flat as me), and it didn't work on that either, so I don't think it's my computer. Hmm.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 01:13:42

At 3/7/09 01:13 AM, NEVR wrote: I can't play any of the medal games.

Oh yeah, and the reason I have 6 medals or whatever is because it loaded for me once, and never again after that.

DOUBLE POST sorry

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 02:24:30

We need some medals for the original sim dates, HELL YEAH!

さあ時の扉を開けて行こうよ

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 03:05:14

Zerok has a medal for a lot of people. ;D

Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips

NOW IS WHEN YOU RAM HAPPY WITH LIFE SAUCE. PSN Screenname - Mooglejoke Wii U Network ID - Mooglejoke - Nintendo 3DS Friend Code 4768-8871-1657

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 04:51:57

Maybe so, but on the other hand then everything on every page has been "ripped off" from somewhere else.
I think the medals are a very nice addition. I like the badges at Kongregate, but I think the community there isn't as nice as here on NG. So I really like the implementation of the medal system. Now I ahve both: "Rewards" for playing a game and a nice community. ;)

At 3/6/09 11:48 PM, BlueHippo wrote: What classic NG games would you guys like to see with awards?

Portal, The last stand 2 and Sonny.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 05:42:02

Just another stat to overcome.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 06:32:58

Lolz "You Win"
"sike"
Realizes its a ban medal ;)
thats a first laugh ive seen ^^

Hi

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 07:09:01

At 3/7/09 01:13 AM, NEVR wrote: I can't play any of the medal games. Might be something to do with my university network, because I turned off my adblocker (which the author comments on Portal Defenders says to do if the game won't load), but it still doesn't work. :(

Tried it on a friend's computer (who lives in the same flat as me), and it didn't work on that either, so I don't think it's my computer. Hmm.

Ohh tough luck NEVR, you're really missing out. :-) I'm going to assume you already tried opening it with another browser and if that's the case, maybe whatever code is blocked from opening up Portal Defender is also in effect on your school's filter settings. I'm just going out of limb here.

At 3/7/09 04:51 AM, Haggard wrote: I think the medals are a very nice addition. I like the badges at Kongregate, but I think the community there isn't as nice as here on NG. So I really like the implementation of the medal system. Now I ahve both: "Rewards" for playing a game and a nice community. ;)

Here here! I also have to agree that the implementation of the medal system breathes new life into these games. I'm actually looking forward to seeings its public release and what challenges developers, programmers have in store. I know I'd be stoked if I have the liberty to design my own "achievements" for one's game. :-)

Heck, achievements could even be as simple as "Finish the game" such as in the case of http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 1838

At 3/7/09 02:23 AM, Goonie wrote:
At 3/6/09 11:48 PM, BlueHippo wrote: What classic NG games would you guys like to see with awards?
I'm glad that you ask that question. Here are some NG games that need some awards.

Agreed wholeheartedly with those choices. I'd like to also see it in some music/rhythm based games and brain twisters such as:

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 07:17:53

At 3/7/09 07:10 AM, Lizzardis wrote: Since this is a "Games and tips" thread. Could anyone give me some tips on how to get past PsychoGoldfish and his bunch of AS3 cronies please.
The saw thing that comes out the ground takes alot of HP out of me.
Any Tips?

A tip I can offer you is that your jump attacks can avoid the saws and PyschoGoldfish's ground slam. You can also use the enemy's saw attacks to your advantage by lining up the actionscripters, getting in range of their saw attack, and hastily move about in a roundabout fashion. This should allow the saws to strike your foes whilst you evade. Good luck.

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 08:20:37

At 3/7/09 04:58 AM, VitaminP wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/48 5863
I think this game is getting medals next as PsychoGoldfish has got a medal for it.

Interesting. Right now the title of the game under his medals section links back to newgrounds.com. They must have been testing it.

:)

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 08:41:07

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 10:52:06

With all this talk, my guess is that Tom and the others will eventually put up a list to show the top scores for overall achievements. Much like how they kept track of wins for Pico Roulette when it was still working.

):

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 10:55:01

At 3/7/09 07:39 AM, JarrodK wrote: I wonder what kind of medals
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 4371
would have if it was implemented?

I actually think that that shouldn't have NG Medals. Since there's so much achievements that it's possible to unlock on that submission people could easily get ten or twenty times as much points in just seconds as they could get by playing hours of most other games.

Formerly known as mwmike | I'm moderately active on last.fm | Before you post, read these. Please.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 10:59:20

At 3/7/09 10:55 AM, mwmike wrote:
At 3/7/09 07:39 AM, JarrodK wrote: I wonder what kind of medals
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 4371
would have if it was implemented?
I actually think that that shouldn't have NG Medals. Since there's so much achievements that it's possible to unlock on that submission people could easily get ten or twenty times as much points in just seconds as they could get by playing hours of most other games.

If they put medals on that games, they could be worth only 5 points each, or even less (1 point each medal). But anyway I don't think this is going to happen... It would be such a pain in the ass!

Also today I tried to get the "nose driver" achievement in portal defenders (the one when you must watch every ending). I let the enemies kill me in each wave though I didn't get the medal.

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 11:09:26

At 3/7/09 10:59 AM, Ismael92 wrote: Also today I tried to get the "nose driver" achievement in portal defenders (the one when you must watch every ending). I let the enemies kill me in each wave though I didn't get the medal.

Apparently you have to lose to the mods AND Jeff/Stamper in order to get it. For some reason the game seems to consider them separate waves.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Medals - Games and Tips 2009-03-07 11:47:56

At 3/6/09 11:37 PM, Gooch wrote: I was having the same problem too, Wylo. What you have to do is die while you're facing the moderators like Afro-Ninja and EyeLovePoozy, and then you also have to die while you're facing Stamper and Jeff. They both have separate newspaper headlines.

Thanks. That did it for me.

Its more like every other Flash games site on the Web ripped off Newgrounds and stole its games. But if Newgrounds were to implement a extremely lousy and boring card game and want to make people buy those cards virtually, I would consider that a ripoff.