Be a Supporter!

Military Crew

  • 31,936 Views
  • 604 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-05-26 20:44:32 Reply

At 4/26/10 05:20 PM, sinfulwolf wrote: The dynamic works rather well. I mean, I'm a bisexual woman in the infantry, but I get along perfectly fine with the men, who still make up the majority of the combat arms. I've worked with a few gay guys, and everyone else didn't act any different for the most part, except the occasional joke which is gonna happen. As Peregrinus said, in the field it doesn't matter, you just do your job.

Yea, I guess it might be similar to making racist jokes, it's not allowed by the rules, but we still make them when people are ok with it. I dunno, maybe people are just more scared about it then what they should be.

Though, I understand your nervousness about changing in front of someone who could be attracted to you. I get that all the time, but really, I deal with it. There was very little sexual tension in my section, and we all got along great.

Yea, that would be the awkward part, in the locker room and shit. Personally I couldn't care less, I would change in front of females if they didn't care. It's not like oh my god they're gonna jump you or something.

At 4/26/10 09:25 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 4/26/10 07:12 PM, michelinman wrote: Of course I'd deal with it, and I'd probably get along with it ok after a while, but me right now as I am, that would be weird until I made peace with it. Sexual tension isn't something that was even close to being an issue in our infantry unit, so I couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like. Just have no experience with it whatsoever.
Well, Americans don't have women or homosexuals in the combat arms so I wouldn't expect ye to have any experience. When I got into the military, there were already women and homosexuals, and all the older members had already gone through the transition and gotten used to the change. I think that's the biggest issue, the transition.

Well even if there was women in infantry, they would have separate quarters and showers or whatever. You're right though, the transition is always going to be the awkward part. It's not going to be just infantry's problem either.

At 5/26/10 12:26 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Hey Spiffy, got something for ya.
It's a PDF of Canadian drill. It's freely available online.

Awesome! Thanks, I will check it out.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-05-27 00:35:39 Reply

At 5/26/10 06:26 PM, Chymeraxe wrote: The Army is supposed to be getting some Multi-Cam soon. I personally like this over the UCP that we were fielding for a bit because it seems a bit more effective in Afghanistans terrain.

I'm still not sure about the whole Universal camo idea though. Does anyone think it's really feasible?

Yeah, gotta say that shit looks better than the Universal Camo. I mean, it was pretty gray, and the American's wearing it really stood out... especially next to us Canucks in Arid CADPAT and tan.

Penrodeo
Penrodeo
  • Member since: Jul. 30, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-05 14:54:09 Reply

At 5/27/10 12:35 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Yeah, gotta say that shit looks better than the Universal Camo. I mean, it was pretty gray, and the American's wearing it really stood out... especially next to us Canucks in Arid CADPAT and tan.

I've seen pictures of CADPAT being in use in many environments and I admire its effectiveness. It does its job better than most camos do. The UCP the Army was using does a good job of breaking up your outline (as nearly all digital patterns will at distance) but it makes you look like this walking green blob, which isn't blending into any environment.

With all the remarks on Multi Cam and patterns like that I'm still not sure if there's going to be something like a universal pattern that would be truly effective.


BBS Signature
sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-05 16:23:55 Reply

I am actually rather surprised at the effectiveness of CADPAT, considering Canada's low military budget to fund such research and development.

Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 20:53:19 Reply

Well then, I didn't even know we had a Military crew. I guess that's what happens when I stay in General for six years.

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 21:40:10 Reply

At 6/18/10 08:53 PM, Ryan wrote: Well then, I didn't even know we had a Military crew. I guess that's what happens when I stay in General for six years.

Maybe I just need to pop in to general more often, so people will see it in my sig lol. It's only been around for a year or so.

You in?

Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-18 23:57:09 Reply

At 6/18/10 09:40 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: Maybe I just need to pop in to general more often, so people will see it in my sig lol. It's only been around for a year or so.

You in?

I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.

Ursiruss
Ursiruss
  • Member since: May. 13, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-06-20 05:22:14 Reply

Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.


If you're Reading my post this is most likely the end of the thread seeming as how I've killed it. Sorry
Feel Free To stop by and leave a comment!!

BBS Signature
AcidEthereal
AcidEthereal
  • Member since: Apr. 20, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-06 12:24:25 Reply

Im a veteran of OIF. A corpsman who was with 1st battalion 2nd marines. I am actually looking for help. I am designing a comprehensive website for all things military. Its called AllThingsSoldier.com. Not much is done yet. I am looking for a few talented people to join me in making this site a reality. If you are interested and have design skills let me know. I have a ton to do. But when its all said and done, it will be the only place a person has to go to get information relating to the military- pre, during, and post enlistment as well as benefits and a section even for those who just like to play war games. Hit me up at my email at djlovesnwa@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Thanks guys

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 08:38:22 Reply

I was in JROTC when they had it in my high school, I might do military if I can get into special forces.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 13:23:35 Reply

At 6/18/10 11:57 PM, Ryan wrote:
I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.

Ah, I see. What branch?

At 6/20/10 05:22 AM, Ursiruss wrote: Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.
SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 13:27:08 Reply

At 7/8/10 01:23 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 6/18/10 11:57 PM, Ryan wrote:
I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.
Ah, I see. What branch?

At 6/20/10 05:22 AM, Ursiruss wrote: Hey there Enlisted about a month ago I'm shipping out for Army BT in September Heading for Ft. Benning so wish me luck I'll keep in touch as the days go by.

Damn I accidentally hit the post it button without being done haha.

Good luck Ursiruss, I don't know much about Army basic training, just that it's pretty short and not too difficult hahaha.

At 7/6/10 12:24 PM, AcidEthereal wrote: Im a veteran of OIF. A corpsman who was with 1st battalion 2nd marines. I am actually looking for help.

Thanks guys

Great to have you here brother, I have mad respect for corpsman, you guys are insane and amazing. There might be some people here who can help, I know I have no skills whatsover in web site designing, so I can't be of any help, sorry.

At 7/8/10 08:38 AM, I-RULE-OVER-ALL wrote: I was in JROTC when they had it in my high school, I might do military if I can get into special forces.

From what I know about special forces, it's not necessarily something you can get in from the getco, you join the military, then you might get a shot at special forces.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 15:12:15 Reply

for speacial forces you got to got to have a high Phys record do a mental health test, have to be rank E5 and have 2 years under your belt no Criminal or administrative action took against you. then you get the training that weeds out the weak.

Heretic-Anchorite
Heretic-Anchorite
  • Member since: Feb. 28, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 20:09:47 Reply

At 7/8/10 03:12 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: for speacial forces you got to got to have a high Phys record do a mental health test, have to be rank E5 and have 2 years under your belt no Criminal or administrative action took against you. then you get the training that weeds out the weak.

I'm working on physical strength, I'm pretty strong mentally, (all the blood and gore in the world doesn't really bother me, and I can balance my emotions and logic, I study psychology, and gnosticism(an esoteric "spiritual philosophy" (I don't feel like getting into detail))) and I have no criminal record, but I don't really think I'll go into military, the only reason it interest me is the training, I'm a marital arts enthusiast, I'd rather not attach myself to a country, or government.

I will most likely just work my way into law school, and work from home, somewhere in the desert spending as much time I can on my four loves, Gnosticism, alchemy, psychology, and martial arts.


“You only live twice: Once when you're born, and once when you look death in the face.”

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-08 20:32:14 Reply

but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-09 23:34:20 Reply

At 7/8/10 08:32 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.

That's what they're for. To do the dirty work the government needs doing, while the army itself represents the nation proper.

Ryan
Ryan
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 51
Voice Actor
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-13 10:31:48 Reply

At 7/8/10 01:23 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 6/18/10 11:57 PM, Ryan wrote:
I suppose, though I only have about two months left until my ship date. Guess I won't have as much to chat about until afterwards as well.
Ah, I see. What branch?

Army. I'm actually going to Fort Benning same as Usiruss though late august. Small world?

AJ
AJ
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-14 12:00:54 Reply

At 7/13/10 10:31 AM, Ryan wrote: Army. I'm actually going to Fort Benning same as Usiruss though late august. Small world?

Infantry or just basic then leave for AIT?

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-14 16:05:52 Reply

At 7/9/10 11:34 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 7/8/10 08:32 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.
That's what they're for. To do the dirty work the government needs doing, while the army itself represents the nation proper.

still don't like it though and there is so much hype about them what they fuck do they have thats so much better than a little bit of extra training?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 02:16:04 Reply

At 7/14/10 04:05 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 7/9/10 11:34 PM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 7/8/10 08:32 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: but the only real thing I have a problem with special fores is that they have been known to break international Laws. and all the government does is use plausable deniability.
That's what they're for. To do the dirty work the government needs doing, while the army itself represents the nation proper.
still don't like it though and there is so much hype about them what they fuck do they have thats so much better than a little bit of extra training?

It would depend on what special forces group you're talking about. Higher tier groups have more and more training, and damn good equipment.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 06:24:30 Reply

At 7/15/10 02:16 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
It would depend on what special forces group you're talking about. Higher tier groups have more and more training, and damn good equipment.

the US has a few the Regular response team for special ocassions then there are Rangers, Airborne, Airborne Rangers, SEALS, DELTA FORCE and couple others.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-15 10:55:14 Reply

At 7/15/10 06:24 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:

the US has a few the Regular response team for special ocassions then there are Rangers, Airborne, Airborne Rangers, SEALS, DELTA FORCE and couple others.

Groups like the Rangers and Airborne are on a lower tier than the SEALs and Delta Force. Yes Rangers are elite, and have more training, but they still don't stack up against higher tier groups like the SEALs. Not that I know much about Ranger and SEAL training, but I'm assuming it's much like the Canadian CSOR and JTF2 groups.

AJ
AJ
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 09:01:08 Reply

At 7/15/10 10:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Groups like the Rangers and Airborne are on a lower tier than the SEALs and Delta Force. Yes Rangers are elite, and have more training, but they still don't stack up against higher tier groups like the SEALs. Not that I know much about Ranger and SEAL training, but I'm assuming it's much like the Canadian CSOR and JTF2 groups.

As a former Ranger, I resent this post, but I think I can provide some information for you guys to clear this up. The way the U.S. Army works is Infantry < Airborne Infantry < Ranger Infantry < Special Forces Operational Detachment Alpha < Special Forces Operational Detachment Delta. Infantry and Airborne Infantry are your run of the mill soldiers. They go on year long deployments once every couple years and spend the time doing various forms of Military Police work. Patrols, low level raids, things of that nature. The only real difference between an Airborne and a leg (non-airborne) unit is that they are qualified to jump out of planes. This tactic died out a long time ago and is more of a title now than anything, so the work of the units is virtually the same.

The next step up is Ranger Infantry. Yes, they are the lowest tier of the SOCOM community, but they are the initial stepping stone to higher levels of special forces. They are comparable to the Marine Corps Force Recon. Other than highly specialized deployments like Somalia and Panama, where a large number of extremely well trained troops were needed, Ranger Battalion mostly handles outer cordons for Delta Force raids and providing elite support for Infantry and POG patrols.

This is the only SOCOM unit you can join at the age of 18, so if you're looking to get into SF fresh out of high school, going to R.I.P. (Ranger Indoctrination Program) to get into the unit is a must. SF never pulls out of standard line units like Airborne and leg infantry. You're still eligible to try out to go to the Q course, but typically you'll get peered out if you pass. At the end of the course, everyone has to vote for people that they think don't deserve to be in the unit. Needless to say, the less experienced, more policeman like soldiers are the first to go.

Then there is SFOD-A. This is the "Green Berets" you hear about. This force was primarily started during Vietnam to recruit and train the indigenous mountain tribes to fight, that way the U.S. could use propaganda to garner public support around their local people instead of foreign soldiers who invaded. Worked like a charm, and that is primarily their job in Afghanistan and Iraq to this day. It's not guns a-blazin, raid every day, break all the laws you want because you're untouchable type thing that it's made out to be.

SEALS are below this level in my eyes. They're tough dudes, don't get me wrong. I met a few trainees in Airborne School. But as a part of the Navy, the Admirals and fellow officers in charge of them really don't know how to use them that well. They're kind of like men amongst boys. They've also got a big ego problem. There was a fight during the invasion of Afghanistan called Operation Anaconda where the Taliban were imbedded in tunnels in a mountain called Takur Ghar. When the bombs would drop, they'd dig in, suffer few casualties, then pop back out and fire at the ascending forces. They were well covered in the surrounding area as well.

The Air Force Commander in charge of the seal teams wanted to send them to the top of a nearby mountain to set up an observation point, despite predator drones and even an AC-130 in the airspace. There was no tactical use in the seals going there. Army Rangers and Special Forces warned the seals that the valley they wished to fly through was a prime RPG spot and they shouldn't go. But they went anyways, and upon landing were lit up by RPG fire, and two of the guys on the team who were far too Rambo to be wearing seat belts fell out of the bird as it flew away. Then they left the mess for the army to clean up. Rangers and SF went in to try and find the guys, losing several soldiers and removing men from the heart of the fight looking for someone who shouldn't even be out there. There's a ton of instances like this out there. I've got respect for what seals go through, but I don't have respect for what they do.

Then what SFOD-D, or Delta Force does is anyones guess. You're unlikely to find out unless you're a member of it. The government still does not acknowledge they exist. They're the true badasses.

Any questions?

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 10:57:09 Reply

None at all, that cleared quite a few things up. Sorry for putting something up that really just rubbed ye the wrong way. In my defense I was never entirely knowledgeable on how the American forces were tiered.

So airborne and regular infantry are pretty much the same. Sounds very much like how Canada does it these days.

Also, some very interesting information on the Navy SEALs. Not anything I ever knew and really puts a damper on their image in my eyes.

So again, apologies for dipping my toes into something I wasn't entirely clear on.

KennyD
KennyD
  • Member since: May. 25, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 18:38:59 Reply

At 7/16/10 09:01 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 7/15/10 10:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Question.
Wall o' text.

Still, they are not Marines.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-16 22:44:45 Reply

At 7/16/10 06:38 PM, KennyD wrote:
At 7/16/10 09:01 AM, michelinman wrote:
At 7/15/10 10:55 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Question.
Wall o' text.
Still, they are not Marines.

Marines still bleed, and marines can still be dumb. They're still human. Mind you I have lots of respect for marines.

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-17 06:13:34 Reply

I don't trust SF in general they have been knwn to deal with some dirty stuff, even though I have a cousing who is a Ranger. hell a guy I know who is in the SF community told me the drug lord Pablo Escobar was killed actually by a Delta Sniper. the ops they did during panama civil war.

AJ
AJ
  • Member since: Apr. 14, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-18 22:50:03 Reply

At 7/17/10 06:13 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: I don't trust SF in general they have been knwn to deal with some dirty stuff, even though I have a cousing who is a Ranger.

SF isn't half as sweet ass as people make it out to be. The only legitimate story I've heard of SF guys dealing with shady stuff was British soldiers. Link. They were dressed as Arabs and lit up a bunch of IP's, then when they got caught and arrested for it, the Brits busted in with tanks and freed them. Lot of theories about what all of it meant.

hell a guy I know who is in the SF community told me the drug lord Pablo Escobar was killed actually by a Delta Sniper. the ops they did during panama civil war.

Well the ops done in Panama was to remove Noriega in 1989, the Panamanian Civil War (or the closest thing to it) was in 1840, and Pablo Francisco died running from roof top to roof top with the police hot on his heels in Columbia in 1993. So I think you got spoonfed some bullshit.

And sinful, don't misunderstand. I'm not angry about it or anything, just explaining it. I know you're not a douchebag. :p

Marines are simply meat shields. They're the ones that (hypothetical situation of course) if there was a need to invade a country and the only way to do it was straight up the most heavily guarded beach ever known to man that you'd send to ride up to in boats and crawl their happy asses up. Poor training, poor equipment, but tough mother fuckers with dedication. Yeah, they're meat heads, but it's a different breed to be willing to go into almost certain death for your cause. I've got respect for that. And Kenny, if you were trying to talk about the Marines as the next level up, I think this paragraph clears up how I feel about them. Haha.

sinfulwolf
sinfulwolf
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-19 01:01:45 Reply

At 7/18/10 10:50 PM, michelinman wrote:
And sinful, don't misunderstand. I'm not angry about it or anything, just explaining it. I know you're not a douchebag. :p

Ha. I try not to be. Always good to get some good information. Curious though, is it only SF in the States that wear green berets (hence the Green Beret tag)?

SpiffyMasta
SpiffyMasta
  • Member since: Mar. 21, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Military Crew 2010-07-19 01:24:39 Reply

At 7/18/10 10:50 PM, michelinman wrote: Marines are simply meat shields.

Yea I'll remember this you bastard. I mark your words in blood on my skin.

He He He