00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

tmansimms just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Military Crew

68,502 Views | 521 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Military Crew 2010-01-21 21:05:33

At 1/18/10 09:18 PM, Chymeraxe wrote:
At 1/18/10 08:03 PM, Grubby wrote: Though there are numerous military inaccuracies, the movie still KINDA inspired me to think about doing EOD if I'm forced to be enlisted.
If you did that you'd have balls the size of mt. Olympus, each. Kudos if you make it.

Fucking rights. I remember seeing those guys suit up, laughing about their extra $300, then walking out to the IED. I know a lot of Canadian EOD teams shut their radios off when getting close to the device. Apparently so nothing spooks em.

Also, the suit does sweet fuck all when you're close. Just keeps you in one place mostly.

Response to Military Crew 2010-01-30 01:23:58

At 1/21/10 08:02 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 1/21/10 07:39 PM, Chymeraxe wrote:
I'm probably around 5 foot 9 inches (haven't measured myself in a while actually) and weigh 140 flat.
And you have knee problems when you run? That's not good lol. Just take it slow and build up, that's my main suggestion.

My knees haven't been that bad when I run. It's just that they came faulty when I was born, lol. I've had surgery on one (minor) but it didn't do much good. I can't remember exactly what's wrong but it's a combination of something to do with the cartiledge/excessive plaque buildup.

And I just figured out that the tests are for AFTER you finish basic. Shit's going to be easy after basic, lol. I'm still going to train but now I guess I don't have to push myself as hard as I was. I can already run a mile in less than 8 easy and that's really all you need to be able to do besides >20 pushups and >20 situps during receptions. That's a cake walk.

God I can't fucking wait, lol.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-01-30 01:40:47

At 1/30/10 01:23 AM, Chymeraxe wrote: My knees haven't been that bad when I run. It's just that they came faulty when I was born, lol. I've had surgery on one (minor) but it didn't do much good. I can't remember exactly what's wrong but it's a combination of something to do with the cartiledge/excessive plaque buildup.

That sucks man. As long as it doesn't hurt too bad I guess. Once you've been in for a while, if problems should arise though you might be able to get waivers for tests and stuff if you just can't run too much on your knees, as long as it doesn't keep you from doing your job.

Plus, you can always find other ways to do cardio anyways, and it'll still help your run.

And I just figured out that the tests are for AFTER you finish basic. Shit's going to be easy after basic, lol. I'm still going to train but now I guess I don't have to push myself as hard as I was. I can already run a mile in less than 8 easy and that's really all you need to be able to do besides >20 pushups and >20 situps during receptions. That's a cake walk.

In the Marine Corps I would tell you never strive for the minimum, but you're in the Army, so fuck it. lol

When are you shipping?

Response to Military Crew 2010-01-30 12:12:08

At 1/30/10 01:40 AM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
At 1/30/10 01:23 AM, Chymeraxe wrote: My knees haven't been that bad when I run. It's just that they came faulty when I was born, lol. I've had surgery on one (minor) but it didn't do much good. I can't remember exactly what's wrong but it's a combination of something to do with the cartiledge/excessive plaque buildup.
That sucks man. As long as it doesn't hurt too bad I guess. Once you've been in for a while, if problems should arise though you might be able to get waivers for tests and stuff if you just can't run too much on your knees, as long as it doesn't keep you from doing your job.

Plus, you can always find other ways to do cardio anyways, and it'll still help your run.

Eh. I'm still doing other cardio stuff so I'll be fine. I'm not really sure if I want to tell the Army that I have knee problems though because I'm not sure how that'll affect my chances of going into certain MOS's. I'll tell them that I had surgery but it was a minor one so they wont mind too much.

In the Marine Corps I would tell you never strive for the minimum, but you're in the Army, so fuck it. lol

I'm still going to try to get a good score, but I've been pushing myself a bit too much. Screwed up my leg somehow (feels like a pulled muscle) but I've still been running on it fine, just been going through the pain. Now I'll probably just rest a bit more but still go every other day at least.

When are you shipping?

Dunno yet, I'm still 16. Damn it. Lol. I turn seventeen this year so I'll talk to my recruiter as soon as I do to get more serious info. I turn 17 the 25th of August so I planned on going on the day of my birthday.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-21 06:59:52

So much for fun in SD, looks like the Marines feel I need to spend half a year down in 29 stumps....

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-22 03:09:53

At 2/21/10 06:59 AM, KennyD wrote: So much for fun in SD, looks like the Marines feel I need to spend half a year down in 29 stumps....

You doing some training down there? Look at it this way, you could be based there for 2 years haha.

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 05:51:30

hey guys

this weekend while on-post I was watching over a friend of mines apartment a and a magazine girl came (if those who served in the military know what im talking about) if not a this is what my drill sargents told me in basic. Magazine girl is these woman who come around selling us private magazine subscriptions to our apartments and barracks and they have been known to be quite EASY and they make a share of the profits that get for each transaction and the more you buy the more likely you will get something in return.
well I told her I was interested I got 7 one year subscriptions to some different magazines that aded up to like $300 bucks and asked if she took Checks and I asked if she wanted something to drink and one thing led to another and it ends in a all night event.

next morning she leaves me still passed out and you know what I did? I called the bank and canceled that fuckin check.

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 07:02:00

Hmm... I did a a couple months in Land Cadets a few years back, but I dunno if I wanna join the Canadian Armed Forces.

I've actually been looking at a career in CSIS (the canadian version of the CIA, essentially).... I'm really not too sure.

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 07:21:07

the canadian army is a fucking joke lolz

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 07:23:24

At 2/25/10 07:02 AM, Vaylkon wrote: Hmm... I did a a couple months in Land Cadets a few years back, but I dunno if I wanna join the Canadian Armed Forces.

I've actually been looking at a career in CSIS (the canadian version of the CIA, essentially).... I'm really not too sure.

Can't really compare cadets to the actual military too much. Atmosphere is very different, and the military looks down on cadets quite a bit. If you were going to join, roughly what area of Canada are you in? And what trade are you considering getting into?

Don't know much about CSIS to really give you any input there though.

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 13:32:38

At 2/25/10 05:51 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: next morning she leaves me still passed out and you know what I did? I called the bank and canceled that fuckin check.

Fucking hilarious. Nice going.

At 2/25/10 01:24 PM, LeroyJ wrote: This looks like an appropriate place to ask a military related question.
Hope anyone can clear up a few things.

Sounds like you got a pretty good plan going there. Although I don't know much about how to become a combat photographer, I've never really heard of it but I know they exist. Most likely you would have to be just like infantry if you want to be combat photog.

As far as flying in the Air Force goes, chances are really slim. Think 4% of Air Force people are actually pilots. Very small number.

I would ask around to recruiters, and then if you have questions about what they are saying come ask us.

Response to Military Crew 2010-02-25 16:13:10

In Canada at least, combat photographers tend to come from the air force. I had one attached to my company for about a month. He had been infantry before doing a transfer over to combat photographer. I remember him getting jacked up for shooting during a firefight when he should have been taking pictures.

I'll back up Spiffy by saying that it's true that most Air Force members don't actually fly. There are clerks, medics, photographers, the firefighters are a part of the air force, there are the flight technicians and engineers who may get to be in a chopper or plane, but not actually fly it. There are so many damn trades out there.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-10 17:34:26

35 days of school, one summer of work then hello army reserves. Can't wait to earn my place a year after that when I go active.

One weekend every month then the next summer will probably be all training. After that, it's active time. Graduate from high school, get on the next plane to wherever I'm stationed and start earning my bread the right way. I can't wait.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-24 02:02:41

At 2/25/10 07:21 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: the canadian army is a fucking joke lolz

Well, they did help the Allies win World War II. Hell, the Canadians had their own beach landing zone during D-Day...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-24 08:12:10

At 4/24/10 02:02 AM, puddinN64 wrote:
At 2/25/10 07:21 AM, Dante-Son-Of-Sparda wrote: the canadian army is a fucking joke lolz
Well, they did help the Allies win World War II. Hell, the Canadians had their own beach landing zone during D-Day...

Can't really compare any modern army to how they performed back in the World Wars. Otherwise Canada would be one of the top military forces in the world for their huge impact on modern tactics with the battle of Vimy Ridge in WWI. And yes, Canadians had Juno beach, and they advanced the furthest inland on D-Day.

Today though, Canada's military is a bit of a joke. Yeah, we got some damn good kit, but the higher ups are too concerned with Dress and Deportment with my experience. The Infantry were all supposed to get C8s (Canada's equivalent of an M4), but someone high up the chain said that the C8s weren't good for drill, and so we just got a slightly upgraded C7 (Canada's M-16. Denmark uses it too).

We're also very very small. The Toronto Police have more folks on their payroll than we do Infantry. We're only deploying battlegroups to one place (Afghanistan) and still we're stretched out and having to bolster our forces with reservists.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-24 11:55:02

At 4/24/10 08:12 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Today though, Canada's military is a bit of a joke. Yeah, we got some damn good kit, but the higher ups are too concerned with Dress and Deportment with my experience. The Infantry were all supposed to get C8s (Canada's equivalent of an M4), but someone high up the chain said that the C8s weren't good for drill, and so we just got a slightly upgraded C7 (Canada's M-16. Denmark uses it too).

I hate the 3 D's. RCR is worst for that. There's something not right about having to blacken my boots in the field...

We're also very very small. The Toronto Police have more folks on their payroll than we do Infantry. We're only deploying battlegroups to one place (Afghanistan) and still we're stretched out and having to bolster our forces with reservists.

Yet at the same time, the regular force apparently has TOO MANY infantrymen. How's that work...

Flag stolen content, don't be a dingus.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-24 15:36:58

At 4/24/10 08:12 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Today though, Canada's military is a bit of a joke. Yeah, we got some damn good kit, but the higher ups are too concerned with Dress and Deportment with my experience. The Infantry were all supposed to get C8s (Canada's equivalent of an M4), but someone high up the chain said that the C8s weren't good for drill, and so we just got a slightly upgraded C7 (Canada's M-16. Denmark uses it too).

The American military is the exact same way. That's why we haven't really WON a war in 70 years. People don't focus on their jobs, they focus on stupid shit that doesn't matter. The only difference is that ours is called Drill and Ceremony.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-24 17:57:07

At 4/24/10 03:36 PM, michelinman wrote:
The American military is the exact same way. That's why we haven't really WON a war in 70 years. People don't focus on their jobs, they focus on stupid shit that doesn't matter. The only difference is that ours is called Drill and Ceremony.

Doesn't matter what you do, as long as you look good doing it right? lol

Case and point, look at all those ads they have for Marines. Nobody is getting dirty, it's all freaking dress blues silent drill platoon. How is that the most important part of the Marine Corps?? They don't go fight... Sure they look cool, but shit I wear my dress blues once a year. My uniform is my green or desert digis. Sometimes too much tradition is too much of a good thing.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 00:33:22

Yeah... the Royals were my main experience in the regular force, having served overseas with them, but I've heard the PPCLI are pretty lax when it comes to spit and polish.

Still, it seems the issue is plaguing the States as much as Canada. Is this a major North American thing? I'd like to hear from someone in the British, or some other European nation to see if its NATO wide. Somehow I think the Brits are rather similar to the Canucks in mentality, simply because we based so very much of our military off theirs. Commonwealth and all that.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 01:20:03

Has the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy been discussed on here?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 01:46:44

At 4/25/10 01:20 AM, puddinN64 wrote: Has the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy been discussed on here?

Dunno. That's a pretty American centric topic, seeing as the Canadian Forces lets openly gay people join. Indeed there has been quite a few homosexual military weddings up here.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 07:08:52

At 4/25/10 12:33 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Still, it seems the issue is plaguing the States as much as Canada. Is this a major North American thing? I'd like to hear from someone in the British, or some other European nation to see if its NATO wide. Somehow I think the Brits are rather similar to the Canucks in mentality, simply because we based so very much of our military off theirs. Commonwealth and all that.

I had the chance about a year back to work on a joint exercise with the US, UK, NZ, and Australia.

I distinctly remember everyone being in trouble for trading kit. Especially the US. They charged a bunch of soldiers for not having their combat patches...

I recall everyone being fairly well turned out, even in the field. Pants bloused, kit in good order/clean. Some of the Brits seemed to be a little ragged on the hair side... I did notice however that Canada was the only contingent there with camo fleece. We were also the only ones not allowed to use it as an outer garment...

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 07:11:05

At 4/25/10 12:33 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: Still, it seems the issue is plaguing the States as much as Canada. Is this a major North American thing? I'd like to hear from someone in the British, or some other European nation to see if its NATO wide. Somehow I think the Brits are rather similar to the Canucks in mentality, simply because we based so very much of our military off theirs. Commonwealth and all that.

I had the chance about a year back to work on a joint exercise with the US, UK, NZ, and Australia.

I distinctly remember everyone being in trouble for trading kit. Especially the US. They charged a bunch of soldiers for not having their combat patches... (trading a Canadian flag patch for 101st Airborne patch was a great victory).

I recall everyone being fairly well turned out, even in the field. Pants bloused, kit in good order/clean. Some of the Brits seemed to be a little ragged on the hair side... I did notice however that Canada was the only contingent there with camo fleece. We were also the only ones not allowed to use it as an outer garment...

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 09:18:21

At 4/25/10 07:11 AM, Peregrinus wrote:

I distinctly remember everyone being in trouble for trading kit. Especially the US. They charged a bunch of soldiers for not having their combat patches... (trading a Canadian flag patch for 101st Airborne patch was a great victory).

That would have been quite the experience. Though, I don't see how the higher ups are going to stop the trading of kit. Americans traded all kinds of shit for our mag chargers. I'm pretty sure overseas one of my sister platoons somehow managed to trade a bunch of company t-shirts and mag chargers for acog sights. I was rather impressed with that salesmanship.

And yeah, I don't see a point to having a camo fleece when we can't wear it where the camo would be effective. Canada is just obsessed with their CADPAT.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 10:16:01

At 4/25/10 09:18 AM, sinfulwolf wrote: That would have been quite the experience. Though, I don't see how the higher ups are going to stop the trading of kit. Americans traded all kinds of shit for our mag chargers. I'm pretty sure overseas one of my sister platoons somehow managed to trade a bunch of company t-shirts and mag chargers for acog sights. I was rather impressed with that salesmanship.

We would have traded mag chargers...but we didnt bring any of our own ammo, and had to keep them, else use the crappy US version.

And yeah, I don't see a point to having a camo fleece when we can't wear it where the camo would be effective. Canada is just obsessed with their CADPAT.

In the winter, we can usually get away with it if we're on ex, around our tents. Heck, the recce PL wears stealth suits as outers all the time.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 14:08:48

Recce platoons get away with all kinds of shit.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 18:26:59

At 4/25/10 01:46 AM, sinfulwolf wrote:
At 4/25/10 01:20 AM, puddinN64 wrote: Has the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy been discussed on here?
Dunno. That's a pretty American centric topic, seeing as the Canadian Forces lets openly gay people join. Indeed there has been quite a few homosexual military weddings up here.

How does that dynamic work in the Canadian Forces? Personally I don't have any problems with gays, although I think the dynamics of manly bonding in the military might be a little awkward in one of the guys is openly gay...

I also do believe in marriage being between a man and a woman because marriage is a religious thing. If you want to have a union you can deal with the government about it. More than welcome to it, but it's not gonna be a wedding. Separation of church and state in my opinion.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-25 19:11:42

At 4/25/10 06:26 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote: How does that dynamic work in the Canadian Forces? Personally I don't have any problems with gays, although I think the dynamics of manly bonding in the military might be a little awkward in one of the guys is openly gay...

There is an openly gay guy in my battalion. He is capable of doing the same tasks as anyone else. So sure, every so often we make jokes, but when we're in the field, he's the guy protecting your back.

BBS Signature

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-26 16:33:52

At 4/25/10 07:11 PM, Peregrinus wrote: There is an openly gay guy in my battalion. He is capable of doing the same tasks as anyone else. So sure, every so often we make jokes, but when we're in the field, he's the guy protecting your back.

In B4 THAT AIN'T AMERICAN! Seriously though, I don't know how I'd react to it, because I've never been in that situation obviously. I could imagine it would be uncomfortable in the field getting dressed and shit in front of him, but so long as he was a respectful guy and was openly gay, but wasn't you know, all in your face about it, I can't see how it would bother me.

Response to Military Crew 2010-04-26 17:20:03

At 4/25/10 06:26 PM, SpiffyMasta wrote:
How does that dynamic work in the Canadian Forces? Personally I don't have any problems with gays, although I think the dynamics of manly bonding in the military might be a little awkward in one of the guys is openly gay...

I also do believe in marriage being between a man and a woman because marriage is a religious thing. If you want to have a union you can deal with the government about it. More than welcome to it, but it's not gonna be a wedding. Separation of church and state in my opinion.

The dynamic works rather well. I mean, I'm a bisexual woman in the infantry, but I get along perfectly fine with the men, who still make up the majority of the combat arms. I've worked with a few gay guys, and everyone else didn't act any different for the most part, except the occasional joke which is gonna happen. As Peregrinus said, in the field it doesn't matter, you just do your job.

The marriage thing I think is a debate for another place. I agree with separation of church and state, but marriage isn't just Christian or religious. Anyway, nough about that.

At 4/26/10 04:33 PM, michelinman wrote:
At 4/25/10 07:11 PM, Peregrinus wrote: There is an openly gay guy in my battalion. He is capable of doing the same tasks as anyone else. So sure, every so often we make jokes, but when we're in the field, he's the guy protecting your back.
In B4 THAT AIN'T AMERICAN! Seriously though, I don't know how I'd react to it, because I've never been in that situation obviously. I could imagine it would be uncomfortable in the field getting dressed and shit in front of him, but so long as he was a respectful guy and was openly gay, but wasn't you know, all in your face about it, I can't see how it would bother me.

Thing is, Peregrinus isn't American, so I don't think he really cares if ain't American.
Though, I understand your nervousness about changing in front of someone who could be attracted to you. I get that all the time, but really, I deal with it. There was very little sexual tension in my section, and we all got along great.