00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

I'm building a computer case!

21,841 Views | 204 Replies

I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 19:59:02

.....Out of legos....

Before I got into computers, I loved legos. I had so many, in pieces mostly, that I just made my own stuff from them. This toddler hobby of mine eventually left me with a large amount of legos that I no longer touch.

Then, it dawned on me. Why not make a computer case, out of legos. So here I am, meticulously gluing 2x4s and 2x6s and whatevers together in an attempt to do something cool with my time.

Since I deemed this topic worthy, I'm going to use this as a work log.

First pic of the base.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:01:46

Legos are full of air inside, which means it's a good insulator. Compare this to usual computer cases who are often made of metal... I'd advise good ventilation or low-heat components.

My signature was old so I changed it.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:02:14

Thats an awesome idea, beat it'd look cool when you've finished it
and noodles is a moron

Killing-joke Rule the waves! Rule britania!

Signature made by, TheRipper00 NG Signature Makers ] Guild Wars Crew

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:04:01

Good luck fitting the motherboard and all the ports, graphics cards, etc. Honestly, good luck. This is a really cool project, and would probably turn out to be one of the coolest computer cases I've ever seen.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:06:20

At 2/17/09 08:02 PM, Killing-joke wrote: noodles is a moron

I would have to agree.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:08:53

At 2/17/09 08:01 PM, Proottalfain wrote: Legos are full of air inside, which means it's a good insulator. Compare this to usual computer cases who are often made of metal... I'd advise good ventilation or low-heat components.

Nothing special, just my dad's 5 year old Vaio. If something like this is successful, I would think I could make a business out of LEGOizing computers.

At 2/17/09 08:04 PM, Ironosaur wrote: Good luck fitting the motherboard and all the ports, graphics cards, etc. Honestly, good luck. This is a really cool project, and would probably turn out to be one of the coolest computer cases I've ever seen.

I have a dremel, and plan on gutting parts of the original case where absolutely needed.

Bottom of the base

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:11:22

It won't work well unless you insulate it with a faraday metal. There would be a lot of electromagnetic interference that would screw up the computer. There is a reason cases are usually stainless steel. This isn't to say that you can't make one out of legos, but you should have tin foil or something on the inside to block electromagnetic interference.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:11:23

Seriously, good luck with that... Make sure you post pics of finished product, mm'kay?

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:12:36

At 2/17/09 08:08 PM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote:
At 2/17/09 08:01 PM, Proottalfain wrote: Legos are full of air inside, which means it's a good insulator. Compare this to usual computer cases who are often made of metal... I'd advise good ventilation or low-heat components.
Nothing special, just my dad's 5 year old Vaio. If something like this is successful, I would think I could make a business out of LEGOizing computers.

I'd buy one, but actually a high-powered Alienware mod. I'd love to see an Alienware in legos. That would be hilarious!

At 2/17/09 08:04 PM, Ironosaur wrote: Good luck fitting the motherboard and all the ports, graphics cards, etc. Honestly, good luck. This is a really cool project, and would probably turn out to be one of the coolest computer cases I've ever seen.
I have a dremel, and plan on gutting parts of the original case where absolutely needed.

You could probably just use the dremel and a jig saw to cut out specific sections of your lego case and fit them in with some glue...

Bottom of the base

Cool.

Also, what kind of specs does this Vaio have?

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:12:56

At 2/17/09 08:11 PM, awerz wrote: It won't work well unless you insulate it with a faraday metal. There would be a lot of electromagnetic interference that would screw up the computer. There is a reason cases are usually stainless steel. This isn't to say that you can't make one out of legos, but you should have tin foil or something on the inside to block electromagnetic interference.

Seriously, this guy is right. If it isn't a Faraday cage it won't work properly.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:14:13

Whatever you do, put a Newgrounds sticker on it to show your support for NG! ... That is if you have one, of course.

But yeah, I have a bunch of Legos, want some?

Lots of them. I mean lots.

gorp

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:17:31

How long d'ya think it's going to take? And are you going to make an awesome design using the masses of bricks you've got? Good luck anyway :)

TEABAGGIN' AIN'T EASY

English Gents Club | 5th on PS3 Trophy Leaderboard | PSN: KillSwitch_Bob | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:31:05

build a horizontal one because it will be hard to secure the motherboard without any screws

"pun not intended"

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:35:33

At 2/17/09 08:25 PM, MercatorMap wrote: Better Performance = More power
More power = More heat

Just like cars.
- Cheap
- Fast
- Reliable
pick two.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:39:40

Will you be using this case or just have it as sort of a novelty item?

Please post the final pic when you are done.

Biohasard, Staying neutral since 2009!

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:42:40

Legos are the most versatile building block in the world. The power supply mount is halfway done. This is where careful planning comes into play. I was able to make the first two screw holes line up naturally.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 20:46:08

At 2/17/09 08:43 PM, MercatorMap wrote: In the computer case however, you will get all 3.

And if he is building a PC from the latest parts, he will indeed get all 3.

So you're telling me that you can spend half as much, and get the same results? That's what he was talking about. If you want to spend a grand on low-heat components, then go for it, but it's not going to be cheap. But if you don't, it won't work as well as if you used regular components.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:00:36

At 2/17/09 08:13 PM, Shreddy wrote: id superglue them together also, you dont want it falling apart and crashing components into eachother

Painstakingly doing so after each step is assembled.

The PSU mount is complete.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:08:57

That looks so cool. I am sure it will turn out great and you seem to be making some great progress! In one hour you have done quite a bit. I'm excited to see what it will look like when its finished.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:11:45

latest picture is nuts

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:26:54

I think this is all for tonight. A sneak peak of what's to come.

Yes, that is the hard drive.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:33:31

Pretty crazy stuff, must be taking a while.

I WANT TO FUCK ON THE FLOOR AND BREAK SHIT

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-17 21:53:05

Damn dude. I understand building the case, but that PSU? Shit, thats more work than needed. Just lego the case, not the actual parts. And I'd also build the damn thing first, the superglue it later, incase you fuck up.

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:22:34

To everyone saying I need more ventilation, these are old, economy parts. They don't generate much heat. However, I am going to work some fans in, believe me on that.

Hard drive mount is done, still no drilling needed.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:22:55

Do it in the shape of the death star??
Challenging yet epic its a win win dude.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:29:33

At 2/18/09 06:22 AM, ThoseSneakyFrench wrote: To everyone saying I need more ventilation, these are old, economy parts. They don't generate much heat. However, I am going to work some fans in, believe me on that.

Hard drive mount is done, still no drilling needed.

At least match the colors so it looks good

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:33:01

Novelty pic.

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:33:25

no. thats the whole joy of lego, to make something look patchwork

And gay???

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:35:07

At 2/18/09 06:33 AM, analbaby wrote: And gay???

AND AWESOME jfrugnrweruienr

Response to I'm building a computer case! 2009-02-18 06:38:58

Patch work is shit it just means your to poor to afford all the right colors