BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 02:09 PM Reply

(as in the new one)

Annoying duplicate title aside, it's seriously one of the best games of last autumn.
The graphics, I'll start with, because they're the first big change. Maybe it's just that I haven't played a PoP game since Sands of Time, but the graphics are absolutely stunning. They're cell-shaded, similar to Okami, if you've played it, and the art direction is simply beautiful. As you swing across chasms, shoot up walls, jump between poles, all around you is a beautifully designed world. And after you complete each level (24 of them, you're probably looking at around 20-30 minutes per level before 'light seed' collecting, perhaps), as it is cleansed of the evil 'Corruption' that is plaguing the land, the world is bathed in light and colour, and makes for some spectacular vistas and views of trees fluttering, grass swaying, rivers trickling far below, etc, etc. The draw distance is suitably impressive, and the bosses interesting enough. It uses the same engine as Assassin's Creed, so if you've ever gone up to the top of one of the highest spires in the cities in AC, you'll know what the engine's capable of.

And the acrobatics and platforming have changed too, now they're quite similar to Assassin's Creed's very stylised, simplistic controls. The platforming just ends up pretty easy to do, but whatever. I still enjoyed it, though it's no-where near as much of a challenge as any of the PoPs before it. There were, to my knowledge, barely if any sections where I needed split second timing, optimal positioning, perfect reflexes, etc.

The combat is... interesting. Well, it's better than Assassin's Creed's wank one-button-combat, you have a button for sword, for grabs, for aerial moves, and for your partner Elika's magic, and you can chain these into suitably long, impressively varied, and always amazingly animated combos. Also, there are a lot of quicktime events in the combat, a lot, and one had me tapping X so hard I had to plug in my guitar hero controller so I could tap the blue fret, and still once or twice had difficulty, but the way the combo system works out is presented almost feels like an elongated choose-your-own-path quicktime event anyway, so the quicktime events just seem like an extension of that. The enemies and arenas (pretty much always flat circular platforms with ring-out opportunities round the whole thing) are a bit lacking though.

Elika is your new partner in crime, the princess of this destroyed land, and also handily not too shabby with the old magic. She and the Prince have, dare I say it, an actual relationship, and their interactions (which you can skip pretty much entirely, if you so desire, or you can prod and probe about both of their pasts) feel genuinely human, a rare feat for a video game. Her gently mocking when he mentions chasing after girls in his previous years, his cynical outlook, all seem possible, and this was one of the high points of the game (until the end, finish the game yourself and you'll see what I mean).

However, with Elika comes a new facet of the game; it's impossible to die.

Fall off a ledge? Elika will swoop in with her magic and whisk you back to the last time you were stood on solid ground.
Get knocked down by an enemy? Elika will swoop in with her magic, shield you, and the enemy will gain a chunk of their health back.
This means you'll never find yourself replaying much more than 20 seconds of platforming, or maybe a minute of fighting.......... I'm not sure whether I like it or not. I definitely like it in the platforming, it's jut like quicksave but it does it automatically... in the fighting, maybe not. It cheapens death. But whatever.

So no, the game's not perfect. But with collecting 'light seeds', the game's generic collectible thing (1000 to collect, but the map screen tells you how many you have left to get in each level, and none are RIDICULOUSLY hard to find, so not too bad), the amazing graphics, the sit-back-and-bask action where you just hit some buttons at the right time and everything turns out spectacularly, I'd without a doubt recommend this game.

At least as a rent. Maybe it won't have much lasting value once I've got all the achievements, but I'm definitely going to play through it a second time.

Yes, maybe the ending is a bit wank. Yes, maybe it is a bit forgiving. But it's the best £20 I've spent in a long time.
9.5/10

Oliver
Oliver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 02:13 PM Reply

There are 2 things I don't like about the new PoP.

1) Elika constantly saving you, I know this is kind of a timesaver, but to be honest, I prefer it when you died and had to do the hard stunt sequences again.
And
2) The combat, there aren't enough enemies on the same screen at one time. I loved it when you chained attacks together and killed 2 enemies at the same time.

Otherwise, I'd vote it a 9/10.

VenomKing666
VenomKing666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 02:18 PM Reply

Things I like about the new pop:
1. The art direction, simply beautiful, I want all other Pop games to be made like this.
2. Elika saving you: I call it the automatic quicksave. And no it dosent make the game more casual.
3. The dialogues: When the prince talks to Elika, it's just fun to hear.

Things I strongly dislike about the new PoP game:
1. It's repetitive and boring, the same is only made of: repeat the same fucking combos to beat this dude. and Press the right button at the right moment to go forward.

It's boring and offers little to no replayability.

It's a beautiful but boring game, RENT IT.

Jerkapotamus
Jerkapotamus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 02:49 PM Reply

I have a terrible relationship with Ubisoft Montreal. All of their games have such high production values and beautiful aspects to them, but there's always something that keeps me from really regarding the games as great.

Really, the problems I had with Assassin's Creed are the same ones I had with Prince of Persia: repetition and combat. You're right, combat is improved in Prince of Persia, but I still don't like it. The constant quick-time events really got on my nerves. The combat itself was repetitious, as pulling off the same big combos was usually the best way to go. Watching the beauty of the movements got old after a couple of times. Beyond the combat though is the repetition of platforming. Again, really cool to watch early on, but it wore on me. Instead of the powers you gain that make you fly through the air, I would have much preferred new platforming abilities, allowing there to be more varied level design later in the game.

I still enjoyed my time with the game, since it wasn't long enough for the repetition to really set in, but I'm glad I rented it instead of buying.

Dumb complaint: Nathan Drake voicing the Prince was a bit jarring for me, making Elena and the Prince's relationship a little less real.

PS3 ID: Jerkapotamus
Sig by Akula

BBS Signature
Ghost1124
Ghost1124
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 07:37 PM Reply

I love PoP, the platforming is awesome since you can leap, run on ceilings, wallrun, jump, and fly with plates. The Elika saving you thing is irritating because I get bored of that repetitive animation. I'd rather just die. The graphics are absolutely stunning. The fights can get VERY repetitive with the normal enemies, but I enjoy fighting the main vilians. I give it a 8/10, and definitely worth a rent, and if you have the money, a buy when the price drops.

Also, listening to the conversations between Prince and Elika can be fun.
CheeseManBlue
CheeseManBlue
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 9th, 2009 @ 08:23 PM Reply

i think it's really graphically amazing and has a great smooth flow. the only problem is the lame combat and the shitty voice acting and the personality of the new prince.

iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 06:43 AM Reply

I thought about buying it, maybe I will now.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Viridis
Viridis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 10th, 2009 @ 09:10 PM Reply

My Review:

Prince of Persia is a game following a legacy of fantastic titles. The sands of time trilogy was by far one of the best set of games on the Playstation 2, Ubisoft had a lot to live up to, but instead of creating yet another sequel, this game is all new. All new story, all new setting, but most of all, all new Prince.

The game is set in ancient Persia, it drops you in after a short cinematic where you take control of the Prince, whose name is kept secret throughout the entire game. Then you meet Elika, a girl who accompanies you throughout the story. You come across many environments and settings while you fight corrupted enemies striving to put the evil god Arihman back where he came from and to cleanse the world of his corruption.

The PoP games have always looked pretty, and the Sands of Time trilogy was one of the best looking games on the Ps2, but this game blows them out of the water. Using a completely different style of graphics they've improved upon it tenfold. The game looks like it takes place in a painting, the backgrounds and scenery are spectacular, combined with the incredible detail on the characters clothes and expressions in a cell shaded type way that creates a combo of style and beauty that will entrance you for the entire length of the game.

The game play hasn't changed much, it retains much of the feel of the Sands of Time trilogy, with subtle changes to the acrobatics, however the combat has been completely rehashed. The acrobatics are essentially the same, wall runs and jumps all make a return but the new Prince has a shiny new toy. The Princes gauntlet allows him to slide down walls using his gauntlet to slow his fall. Elika also plays a part in the acrobatics, she can use her magic to double your jump, allowing you to reach places the Prince alone would have no hope of getting to, and she herself is very capable and agile.

The combat is greatly different to that of the previous titles, while before the Prince would have to fight off hordes of enemies, now you take them on one at a time, in fantastic cinematic duels. You have four main combat options, Sword attack, Acrobatic attack, Gauntlet attack and Magic [Elika] attack. All four of which can be chained into combo strings, allowing for much variation in battles.

Elika plays a great part in the game control, she allows you to double jump during acrobatics, and she plays a great part in combat with her magic attacks. She isn't one of those secondary support characters that get in the way; she loyally follows you around without bothering the flow of game play except for when you press the Elika button although she does occasionally surface for other reasons. She is essentially your safety net, if you fall when jumping or wall running, she catches you, and if you're knocked off a ledge she catches you. If you get defeated in battle, she knocks them away with magic so you survive but with your opponent regaining their health. In this game, you cannot die. The whole point to this is to continue the flow of game play, for a game over screen often frustrates even the best of us, causing us to give up on the game. But here you can keep playing for hours without even noticing the passing time.

Prince of Persia is a platformer at heart, and while the previous games entailed lots of enemies to hack through and frustrating puzzles, this instalment lacks those primary features that made us love Prince Of Persia. Throughout the game you encounter less than 5 puzzles; you'll miss sitting thinking over a lever puzzle like crazy but the platforming makes up for the lack of logic needed for the game. The combat is only missed about halfway into the game, when the one on one battles slowly become repetitive and tiresome.

The sound is beautiful; it's calming and relaxing and fits the style and scenery of the game perfectly with tense suspenseful battle music it all slides together perfectly. The voice acting is great, you'll learn to love the Prince and his cheeky banter, and he'll make you chuckle a fair few times before it's over.

The game is unsurprisingly easy, once you get past the initial clumsy fall you sink into the controls wonderfully and you'll breeze through the entire game in 10 or so hours, its easy enough for the casual gamer but satisfying enough for the hardcore fan. With only one difficulty setting it would have to be. Unfortunately there isn't much replay value in the game, except to go back and get achievements or trophies you missed; there will be no real incentive to play through a second time.

The game is wonderful, a must buy for gamers out there. It's one of the best games in our current generation and by far the prettiest. It's worth a buy or at least a week long rent and you will enjoy every moment of it. Ubisoft have created yet another masterpiece in the series and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Graphics - 10

Sound - 8

Originality - 7

Overall - 8.7

Prince of Persia

PSN: Cloud-1409

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 09:19 PM Reply

Also how the fuck do I get these two light seeds on Royal Gardens? They're the last two in the entire game (and I haven't used a guide anywhere, dead chuffed at that) and I have no clue how to get to them.

Prince of Persia

scetch00
scetch00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 10:20 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 09:19 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Also how the fuck do I get these two light seeds on Royal Gardens? They're the last two in the entire game (and I haven't used a guide anywhere, dead chuffed at that) and I have no clue how to get to them.

There should be a Ormazd power that you should use on a wall and will land you right on there. Look around.

BBS Signature
mrwinneranimator
mrwinneranimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 10:37 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 09:19 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Also how the fuck do I get these two light seeds on Royal Gardens? They're the last two in the entire game (and I haven't used a guide anywhere, dead chuffed at that) and I have no clue how to get to them.

Is that a Jade costume? man they added alot of tose thingies, like thr Altair costume.

scetch00
scetch00
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 12th, 2009 @ 10:44 PM Reply

At 2/12/09 10:37 PM, mrwinneranimator wrote:
Is that a Jade costume? man they added alot of tose thingies, like thr Altair costume.

Jade is from beating the game if I remember. Or the "special" code from pre-ordering the game, which is released all over.

Altair is from registering with Ubi site.

etc...

BBS Signature
Armissea
Armissea
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 55
Gamer
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 07:10 AM Reply

The games been out a long while and has proven itself to be a good title apparently. I myself haven't played this but it seems like a game id be into how much does it go for these days?

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 11:53 AM Reply

At 2/12/09 10:20 PM, scetch00 wrote:
There should be a Ormazd power that you should use on a wall and will land you right on there. Look around.

Found it, there's actually a crack you can shimmy along then drop down onto that.

^___^

now to complete the game and claim my achievements!

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 12:01 PM Reply

Also. the special pre-order code is for the Sands of Time prince and Farah. Jade is for completing the game. Altair is for syncing with ubi.com, which was a complete wank to do.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 04:30 PM Reply

Ha, I thought that game was rubbish compared to the Sands of Time Trilogy and I guess some people agree with me to.

What a shame.

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
MiddleFingerRings
MiddleFingerRings
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Prince of Persia Feb. 13th, 2009 @ 04:35 PM Reply

At 2/13/09 11:53 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: now to complete the game and claim my achievements!

Hah, this counts as a guide. How does that feel?

BBS Signature