00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

N0vasu just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sonic the Hedgehog - What?

3,527 Views | 28 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 04:28:31

There is something about this former mascot that truly confuses me: why are there still Sonic the Hedgehog 'fans'?

It's something I really don't understand.

The way I see it, Sega made a few Sonic games fifteen to twenty years ago that people see as being the epitome of platforming (something else I don't get, but that's just my opinion; they're okay, but not as amazing as they're made out to be), and ever since then the 'blue blur' has been in practically nothing of note. Well, aside from an appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (something else that makes me wonder - are people still interested in the battle between Sonic and Mario even after Sega failed as a console developer?)

Why are there still people who eagerly await the newest Sonic release?

I mean, I understand a Mario to some degree, with that character's main series games having consistently high production values, and being technically 'well-made' games, but I never hear anything but disappointment for new Sonic games and how they're nothing like what Sonic 'used to be'.

My point is: why are Sonic games still being made? Why are they selling? What is it that makes Sonic the Hedgehog a franchise worth fawning over so long after its zenith? Why does he still have relevance?

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 05:53:09

At 2/9/09 04:28 AM, Kuro wrote: My point is: why are Sonic games still being made? Why are they selling? What is it that makes Sonic the Hedgehog a franchise worth fawning over so long after its zenith? Why does he still have relevance?

One word: Furryfags.

We had some good times, Newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 07:03:55

The new Sonic fans are stupid furry kids designing ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DO NOT STEAL.

If you arent familiar wit the term, it's just a character that is a mix ofother characters that isnt original at all and where the maker says: Tronic the Hedgehog copyright sonicfag456 do not use without permission.

When it's just sonic recolored in green with red lines and shit, oh ad also his character is fucking destroyer of worlds and he killed goku, vegeta and naruto or some shit.

FFFFffffuck I hate new sonic fans.

Note that they arent that retarded, there is a scale, but ALOT are like that.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 08:08:11

At 2/9/09 05:53 AM, Greenfrost6 wrote:
At 2/9/09 04:28 AM, Kuro wrote: My point is: why are Sonic games still being made? Why are they selling? What is it that makes Sonic the Hedgehog a franchise worth fawning over so long after its zenith? Why does he still have relevance?

Not all people who enjoy Sonic get willies from looking at Krystal rule 34. Some of us actually enjoy the games.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 08:33:51

At 2/9/09 08:08 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:
Not all people who enjoy Sonic get willies from looking at Krystal rule 34. Some of us actually enjoy the games.
Some of us actually enjoy the games.

Hohohohohohohohohoho

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 09:13:04

At 2/9/09 08:08 AM, KeithHybrid wrote:

Exactly. I, to an extent, can't stand furries yet I play Sonic games those are what I grew up with since the age of 5. Back then I didn't know anything about console rivalry so I saw Sonic and Mario as two completely different experiences, the Mario one being better though. I still play Sonic games for the same reason I still play Mario games, they're still fun. Sonic's fanbase may have fallen with games like Shadow and 06 but with recent releases such as Secret Rings, World Tour, and soon to be released Black Knight, Sonic's leap into the next gen market has been improving. While I believe Sonic can have his own game without the whole werehog or sword concepts, at least Sega does what it can so we don't turn our backs on the Hedgehog completely.

I am a big Sonic fan plain and simple. Besides the Game Gear games I have played every game he has been in (not counting 3rd party and cameo games) and I will continue to do so. While you guys may see him as a Hedgehog who's career should just end, I am going to stick around and see what he does for the rest of my life. I can't wait until Black Knight comes out to see what he does next.

Oh and on a side note, fuck Krystal, she's a useless Star Fox character only there for love interest.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 11:56:37

I wonder the same thing all the time.

Sonic had 2, count them 2, good video games. The rest, where trash.

Request deletion

This went wrong.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 12:13:08

At 2/9/09 11:56 AM, DroopyA wrote: I wonder the same thing all the time.

Sonic had 2, count them 2, good video games. The rest, where trash.

Let's see:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles

I count 4 games.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 13:42:37

At 2/9/09 12:13 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: Let's see:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles

ITT: Nostalgiafaggotry

Other good games included:

Sonic Adventure
Sonid Adventure 2
Sonic Advance 1-3
Sonic Battle
Sonic Rush
Sonic CD
Sonic the Fighters

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 14:15:05

At 2/9/09 01:42 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 2/9/09 12:13 PM, VenomKing666 wrote: Let's see:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic 2
Sonic 3
Sonic and Knuckles

Hurr U R NOSTALGIAFAG IT MEANZ UR OPINION IZ SHIT LOLZ

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 17:19:50

At 2/9/09 09:13 AM, Dragoonwing wrote: While you guys may see him as a Hedgehog who's career should just end, I am going to stick around and see what he does for the rest of my life.

This is my point, though - why are you going to do this?

What is it about Sonic that makes you compelled to see every new game he's in?

Like, say, I've got nostalgia for Crash Bandicoot, but I don't care at all about checking out the new games of it. The original Crash Bandicoot games were good games, but I don't believe the new ones will be as good, therefore I don't bother with them.

I can't wait until Black Knight comes out to see what he does next.

From what I've seen, it's going to be disappointing to Sonic fans. Sonic fans will enjoy the fast paced running parts, but complain that there is not enough of them when compared to the boring beat-em-up sections involving the sword.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 17:46:50

At 2/9/09 05:19 PM, Kuro wrote:
At 2/9/09 09:13 AM, Dragoonwing wrote: While you guys may see him as a Hedgehog who's career should just end, I am going to stick around and see what he does for the rest of my life.
This is my point, though - why are you going to do this?

I'm doing it because it's the second franchise (Mario being the first) game franchise I've ever liked and his games aren't bad enough to make me quit.

What is it about Sonic that makes you compelled to see every new game he's in?

The sense of speed in his games. Yes you can say play a racing game but that's all there is, racing. I love the sense of speed I get when I play his games, especially Unleashed.

Like, say, I've got nostalgia for Crash Bandicoot, but I don't care at all about checking out the new games of it. The original Crash Bandicoot games were good games, but I don't believe the new ones will be as good, therefore I don't bother with them.

I have nostalgia for Crash also but due to a lack of a Playstation I was never able to get a full experience of what Crash could do. As for Sonic I've been with him for 14 years playing almost every game at least once in my life (haven't touched many of his Game Gear games).

I can't wait until Black Knight comes out to see what he does next.
From what I've seen, it's going to be disappointing to Sonic fans. Sonic fans will enjoy the fast paced running parts, but complain that there is not enough of them when compared to the boring beat-em-up sections involving the sword.

That's where you're wrong. Black Knight's gameplay is suppose to be hit and run like all of his games. You run, slash, then run again. From what I've seen attack with your sword only subtract a little bit of speed so picking it back up again shouldn't be a chore. I will admit that I looked down on it when I first saw it. But after months of keeping in touch and seeing the recent videos of how the game plays, it looks like it is going to be a good game.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 18:16:52

At 2/9/09 06:02 PM, Aci6 wrote:
At 2/9/09 05:58 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Except that EVERY Sonic thread discusses that. It might not be the main topic, but it always leads to that.
Hm, didn't know that.
Jesus fucking christ, EVERY reply in this thread will be "why cant it go back to 2D whineeee" and you know it.
I do know, it would seem.

Hey I'm actually praising the new stuff despite growing up with the old!

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 18:39:20

WHY DON'T DEY HAVE DA NEW ONES AS DEY WAS IN THE OLD ONES? I LIKKED DA SONIC 2D AND I WANT IT BCK 2 PLAY!

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 19:20:15

At 2/9/09 01:42 PM, KeithHybrid wrote: Other good games included:

Sonic Battle
Sonic the Fighters

Those games were horrible.

What's wrong with you.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 19:31:54

At 2/9/09 07:08 PM, Aci6 wrote:
At 2/9/09 06:20 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 2/9/09 06:16 PM, Dragoonwing wrote: Hey I'm actually praising the new stuff despite growing up with the old!
ERROR. ERROR. ILLOGICAL. DOES NOT COMPUTE.
I'm going to have to agree. Why praise a franchise that is derivative and way past its prime and heyday?

Because despite the abominations such as Sonic 06, Sonic Team has been getting better at giving us what we want. I liked Secret Rings and felt that Sega was taking a good direction with Sonic. I look at Unleashed and say the same thing. Now I'm looking at Black Knight and I plan on buying that one also this March. Sonic has been with me almost as long as Mario (two year difference) so I don't see why I should stray away now when the game are getting good again.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 19:36:46

At 2/9/09 07:33 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
At 2/9/09 07:08 PM, Aci6 wrote: I'm going to have to agree. Why praise a franchise that is derivative and way past its prime and heyday?
No, I was talking about there are EXTREMELY RARE cases where people grew up with the old games and still like the new ones.

Dude I hang out with 4 other people in my college who are like this.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 19:50:46

His games HAVE been getting better, man. Unleashed was good. Could've been great without the werehog parts, but it's not like anyone didn't expect that. And Black Knight really does look kinda sweet. People are just assuming his new games suck because they're not bothering to play them anymore. Also, the Sonic Rush series kicks ass.

YOU'VE GOTTA HELP ME! MY DAUGHTER FOUND OUT I'M A JERK!

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 19:55:25

Secret Rings while on rails and had flaws, was a turn in a right direction in terms of giving fans what they want. Unleashed built up on that by having level that reminded us of the old day of Sonic..... as a werehog..... Black Knight is basically Secret Rings with a sword and seeing how I enjoyed Secret Rings there's a big chance I'll enjoy this. Everything prior to Secret Rings that's between Shadow the Hedgehog to Zero Gravity can be considered garbage.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 22:03:50

At 2/9/09 07:57 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Stuffs

It's no use arguing with a butthurt Sonic nostalgiafag. All you can do is tell them to take their Genesises and/or Virtual Consoles and fucking shove it.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 22:12:14

At 2/9/09 05:39 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Do we SERIOUSLY need another Sonic thread? Seriously?

Apparently.

I LIKE FOOD

<insert cock joke here>

<insert I fuck picture here>

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-09 22:24:26

At 2/9/09 01:42 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:

Or people that just don't like the style of the new Sonic games.

I've lost all faith in Sonic personally. The fans are horrible too.

"OMG I MADE A SONIC FAN CHARACTER I CALL HIM SONIC 2000"

Prepare for unforeseen consequences.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 00:46:25

At 2/9/09 04:28 AM, Kuro wrote: why are there still Sonic the Hedgehog 'fans'?

Because everyone is not you.

what happened to this place?

Latest Blog: Chaos Sonic Ch 3 Update.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 17:07:06

And to break the conversation, we really aren't "fans" if we complain about 2D being the best and complaining about how bad new Sonic is or how bad Sonic X was (I just brought it up, B!TCH!)

Smells like teen spirit, tastes like chicken.

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 18:50:43

THIS INFORMATION IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT!

Watch this. It took 15 people to create Sonic the Hedgehog a mascot who could actually give Mario a run for his money. It took one guy to make Mario.

You see how that works?

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 19:26:27

For all those fans out there, it all really depends on personal opinion about the characters themselves, and not the success of the company. They like Sonic because he's "hot." They like Tails because he's "cute." They like Knuckles because he "can punch." It's the characters, not the games.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 19:49:31

At 2/10/09 06:50 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Watch this. It took 15 people to create Sonic the Hedgehog a mascot who could actually give Mario a run for his money. It took one guy to make Mario.

Because Sonic was made for a more complex system than the arcade games of our halcyon days.

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 21:11:53

Don't forget 6-13 demographic!

BBS Signature

Response to Sonic the Hedgehog - What? 2009-02-10 21:59:52

Sonic became shit when it dabbled and then eventually went full on 3D.

I used to love the old games, and I still think they're classics. Now I find Sonic to be annoying and whored out in an attempt to say "HEY! REMEMBER WHEN WE WERE COOL? YA WE DO TOO! THIS NEW THING WE'RE DOING IS COOL TOO RIGHT? RIGHT?!"

To which I always reply "Shut up" and get on with the rest of my life.

BBS Signature