00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mishirozen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Wah pedal DSP chain

2,258 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-08 17:01:11

Now, this might be a hard one to answer, I dunno...

But I need to know the DSP chain of filters and effects used in a wah pedal for guitars.

This because I'm tired of shitty VST plugins that try to automatically add Wah to your instrument. It just sounds embarassing. I want to be able to control the wah pedal completely independent of the audio.

So what my question means is what kind of stuff does the wah pedal add to the the sound? lowpass filter i assume with light resonance, but what else?

Help please.

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-09 17:47:26

sigh, nobody knows?

allright, if you cant answer that question, atleast tell me if there is a proper vst plugin that allows for full control of the virtual wah "pedal". I mean a plugin that allows me to use my midikeyboard modulation wheel or has a slider in the gui for min to max wah effect.

preferably a guitar specific one.

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-09 17:55:08

No DSP in a wah pedal...just a handful of transistors, capacitors and resistors.

As far as I'm aware, it's just a peaking filter with a constant, sweepable Q.

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-10 01:35:06

Oddly enough, I've spent the past few months studying common DSP effects and filter banks, but I've never learnt about the wah function. Tell you what, give me about a week, and I'll do some research, and ATTEMPT to whip something up in SynthEdit. Can't guarantee positive results, but I'm up for a challenge ;)

Want a cool TF2-based and Minecraft gaming forum? Check us out WDZClan.com

We're the largest pub TF2 community on Steam!

Also, check out my Youtube!

BBS Signature

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-10 01:46:59

Mmm...
I've used several wah pedals... Maybe you can emulate the sound by using some automated presence change...

BBS Signature

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-10 03:21:44

At 2/10/09 01:46 AM, CWN wrote: Mmm...
I've used several wah pedals... Maybe you can emulate the sound by using some automated presence change...

so far the closest ive gotten is by using a lowpass filter from about 3khz and up again while adding some resonance and having a EQ filter on there aswell synced to the lowpass filter.

the problem for me is I have to add the virtual pedal to sampled guitars, meaning they are allready slightly distorted/amped.

oh and yeah, I know a wah pedal is physically just a bunch of transistors, condensers and inductors, but I wish to know what DSP chain emulates this frequency.

Wah pedal DSP chain

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-10 05:04:55

It serves the same function as the 'tone' control on your guitar (guys used to do it with their pinky finger before the pedal came out).

Its just like a bandpass, or as indicated above, lowpass filter.

There's a good bunch of VSTs for this already; Waves GTR has a wah pedal that can be automated or controlled with a mouse/MIDI controller as does Guitar Rig and Amplitube.

Freebies;

http://www.audiomastermind.com/browse-wa hwah-5887005-1.html

Response to Wah pedal DSP chain 2009-02-10 13:29:09

excellent. will check it out.