00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

KenGuy5472 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Before God.

2,488 Views | 67 Replies

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 10:57:21

That actually makes sense. If you think about it for a second, since the existence of humanity we've always been in constant evolution and learning more complex concepts, to the point of being able to explain and create the things we do today. However, if you look at the past, a person from the present could say ''If only people from back then knew what we do today!''. Who says the same thing won't happen to us?

My point is that a lot of important things that were ignored years ago were discovered, and now those from the past seem ignorant. I'd bet my lunch we will be just as ignorant compared to the future generation, so we can't expect to answer all our questions, but eventually we might do.

Exactly, there's only so much things about the nature of reality that we have discovered so far. It's quite okay to say "I don't know". There's no need to fill the gaps with a god

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 10:59:12

At 2/8/09 10:50 AM, MushookieMan wrote:
At 2/8/09 10:45 AM, NeverHundred wrote:
At 2/8/09 10:30 AM, YoungAndWise wrote: This will end up being a flame war arguing the existence of God, meh...
I think it's more likely to become an argument of the "chicken or the egg" riddle.
GGAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU"RE SO WRONG THE FUCKING CHICKEN CAME FIRST!!!!!!!!AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
there

As long as you got it out of your system.

My view is this... I don't care. It doesn't matter how the universe was created. We're all here and alive for a little while, after we spend a life time pondering about the mechanics of the universe whether we find out the secret to it all or it remains a mystery on our death beds... we'll be dead and it wont matter, either everything becomes clear and we will know all the secrets of universe in some fantastic afterlife or there will be nothing and no matter how hard you spent pondering you will not be able to think anymore... so nothing you figured out will be with you, becuase you'd have no thoughts in death.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:06:09

At 2/8/09 10:49 AM, a22 wrote:
As much as our minds insist that "something has to come from somewhere" threre has to be something that always existed with the same reasoning, it doesn't have to be supernatural or beyond our universe although it could be. I don't understand why people have such a huge need to think back in time to "the beginning". Time is relative to the observer as Einstein figured out. It's an illusion of our minds. If you start thinking about the fact that there can't be a series of events that goes back in time infinitely, well who knows, there's still no reason to logically come up with a God character

Sure, if you want to look at it that way you could say 'something' had to be there first, I'm simply suggesting that a non-physical entity, such as a force or group of forces may have been what created energy/matter. The fact is we don't understand it, and quite possibly we never will. As you agree though, there is no reason to think of it as a God character.

At 2/8/09 10:52 AM, YoungAndWise wrote:
That actually makes sense. If you think about it for a second, since the existence of humanity we've always been in constant evolution and learning more complex concepts, to the point of being able to explain and create the things we do today. However, if you look at the past, a person from the present could say ''If only people from back then knew what we do today!''. Who says the same thing won't happen to us?

My point is that a lot of important things that were ignored years ago were discovered, and now those from the past seem ignorant. I'd bet my lunch we will be just as ignorant compared to the future generation, so we can't expect to answer all our questions, but eventually we might do.

I have no doubt of that, technology and science are advancing at a faster rate than ever before, in a couple of hundred years I expect the world will be a very different place. Just think of the differences our own grandparents have witnessed within their lifetimes!

It is very stupid of any humanity to think it knows everything, or indeed to think it could ever know everything. For every thing we discover another dozen questions appear. 2000 years ago a 'God' was no doubt the only way humans could even begin to explain the world around them (Gods pulled the Sun around the Earth etc etc), but in the years between then and now we've progressed a colossal distance to the point where only these very difficult questions are left unexplained. To still think of a God as a necessary explanation is to ignore all the advances we've already made. Is it so hard to say 'we don't know' rather than still say 'we don't know so it must have been some supreme being that controls all these unknowns'.

And that still doesn't mean worshiping such a being is in any way beneficial to society, unless of course society acknowledges his lack of existence or physical impact on our lives and uses religion purely as a social structuring device to maintain control and order within society. Maybe it can make people feel better to think of a God, but God himself does not reach down and make people happier, if that makes sense.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:09:15

At 2/8/09 10:59 AM, NeverHundred wrote: My view is this... I don't care. It doesn't matter how the universe was created. We're all here and alive for a little while, after we spend a life time pondering about the mechanics of the universe whether we find out the secret to it all or it remains a mystery on our death beds... we'll be dead and it wont matter, either everything becomes clear and we will know all the secrets of universe in some fantastic afterlife or there will be nothing and no matter how hard you spent pondering you will not be able to think anymore... so nothing you figured out will be with you, becuase you'd have no thoughts in death.

That's what I say. We either die and simply cease to exist, or go to an afterlife/find the truth. Would the first one be the reality, why care about being right or wrong? Why care about really be living in a delusion? Who gives a damn what we do or think of anything since we're just a piece of matter with complex feelings that make us do weird things? It's a pessimistic view, but that would be the reality if you're atheist.

If the second is the truth, at least there's something more about living. It doesn't matter that you're wrong if you're just going to die and root like everyone else anyways.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:10:56

At 2/8/09 10:20 AM, MushookieMan wrote:
At 2/8/09 10:09 AM, TheSilverGuitar wrote: He doesn't exist.
DOESN'T
Okay, so everything just created itself...

the problem with him he can't comperhend

I want gmod D: but i have to get css and half life 2 first

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:14:44

Time was created for the universe. Before God created the universe in the Big Bang, there was no time, no "before" or "after". Humans, as beings temporarily tied within the universe, need time to explain things and cannot comprehend anything without time. But God is beyond time, He is first and last and in the middle. Nothing was needed to create Him, because nothing could conceivably exist before Him.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:15:24

At 2/8/09 11:10 AM, daves234 wrote:
DOESN'T
the problem with him he can't comperhend

Do you mean TheSilverGuitar? Then, yes.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:16:36

At 2/8/09 11:09 AM, YoungAndWise wrote:
That's what I say. We either die and simply cease to exist, or go to an afterlife/find the truth. Would the first one be the reality, why care about being right or wrong? Why care about really be living in a delusion? Who gives a damn what we do or think of anything since we're just a piece of matter with complex feelings that make us do weird things? It's a pessimistic view, but that would be the reality if you're atheist.

If the second is the truth, at least there's something more about living. It doesn't matter that you're wrong if you're just going to die and root like everyone else anyways.

Incidentally the presence of a God does not imply the existence of an afterlife, and vice versa. Although slightly hypocritical it would not be impossible for an atheist to believe in an afterlife (with no inclusion of God what so ever)- possibly something like reincarnation, or the eternal existence of whatever spark gives us our spirit/emotions/intelligent thought/ whatever you want to call it. People can continue to live in hope of that (I mean, who honestly wants there to be nothing after life?), without basing their lives upon it or worshiping a God.

Or conversely you could believe that this is our one life, our only chance, and therefore we should make the most of every moment we have in it- hardly a negative response if you ask me. Whether there is something beyond this life or not, I fully intend to enjoy this one and get the most out of it.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:41:27

At 2/8/09 11:16 AM, Sentio wrote: *coherent points*

True, true. Yet I don't conform with the notion of a finite existence, so I either live in hope for a future or don't care.

It's a silly way of thinking, but it's the way I see things. It may be that selfish seed in all humans, but I do not see a purpose in searching for the truth if I'll eventually perish from existence itself.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:46:30

I really don't think a couple of teenagers can grasp such things.

My topics when I wasn't an asshole...12

NOBODY IS ALLOWED TO STEAL AND/OR EDIT MY SIG WITHOUT MY PERMISSION

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 11:49:21

At 2/8/09 11:10 AM, daves234 wrote:
DOESN'T

Even God?!

Whoa.
Also, The Chicken and Egg discussion has ended. :(

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:31:22

He existed, but the universe was just a massive black sea.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:33:52

At 2/8/09 12:31 PM, Tinkco86 wrote: He existed, but the universe was just a massive black sea.

Orly, where's your proof then?

In all seriousness though, I hate how almost everyting contradicts itself. What is infinity when you've not seen it? How does something come from nothing? It's like the "everything you know is wrong" song.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:34:26

The simple fact is, whether a god exists or not, something came from nothing.

http://masterhand.blip.tv/

Check out my friend's videos above, game reviews and more.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:34:47

As sure as there is no beginning, there is surely an end.

I BREAK. I MAIM. I BURN. / Hentai /I'm the only one pretty boy on this BBS...BITCH./ The WORST flaming I've seen in a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:38:52

I guess that's a question that'll haunt existence for an eternity or two - no way we'll ever find out unless if we were to have an interview with God and make the interview simple enough for human minds to understand because I'm sure being a God is more complex and all than being a human, eh? Nobody's going to answer that question on the BBS unless if it's a biased answer like "omg no god, EVA", but still, nonetheless, it's always going to be an interesting thought.

whoa i type some bollocks,,

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |

it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:44:32

god was created by manipulative pricks, in an effort to conform everyone and ban rational, free thinking.

obviously.

meads of asphodel - agrat bat malah

(\__/)

(o .o)

(")_(") start a trend - list what song you're listening to when you post. Ha Ha Ha! Attention whoring.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:46:03

I've always wondered that.

Maybe he appeared from another world to create ours.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 12:54:51

The universe has no beginning or end.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:27:20

Why don't you just ask god yourself!

IGOD!

If anyone wants an invite to a site that gives you free stuff I got's it:

http://superpoints.com/refer/darkfo x777

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:42:39

a plain old fire was once considered a god... need i say more?

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:43:53

At 2/8/09 01:42 PM, MissingNYC wrote: a plain old fire was once considered a god... need i say more?

the earth was also once considered the center of the universe

how long will it take us before we realize that that doesn't exist either?

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:44:55

Just don't think of it.

No end of the universe.
When was god created?
What was first?
How did this all begin?

Just don't think about it, it's like an endless math question

divide by 0 lol

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:49:48

At 2/8/09 01:27 PM, dark-fox wrote: Why don't you just ask god yourself!

IGOD!

Benjamin Franklin did it all and then god told me he was a pedophile

Me:
Did you make the world?
God:
What are the ingredients?
Me:
Are you the creater of the universe?
God:
Yes I am the one and only creater of the universe.
Me:
Who created you?
God:
I was created by Myself.
Me:
Who created myself?
God:
Benjamin Franklin.
Me:
Who created benjamin franklin?
God:
Benjamin Franklin.
Me:
Who created Benjamin Franklin?
God:
Actually it was discovered by several people at about the same time.
Me:
They discovered him but who created him?
God:
The anonymous "they".
Me:
Who are "the anonymous "they
God:
Some people on the net.
I can ask someone about it.
Me:
Who created the person you will ask?
God:
Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin.
Me:
I don't give a fuck
God:
Tell me what you care about.
Me:
hot asian chicks
God:
That sounds better than cold asian chicks.
Me:
yes it is
God:
Our thoughts are one, .
Me:
Are you a pedophile?
God:
Am I a pedophile? Of course I am.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 13:55:12

At 2/8/09 10:06 AM, doubleone wrote: If there is some kind of god out there that made everything, then how did such a being come into existence?
Was he just there since the beginning of time? Or was he created by a super god?
Think hard about it.

He created himself.

I AM THREAD KILLER!

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 14:05:09

At 2/8/09 12:54 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: The universe has no beginning or end.

I agree fully, and was going to post exactly this.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 14:05:44

At 2/8/09 01:43 PM, JackPhantasm wrote:
At 2/8/09 01:42 PM, MissingNYC wrote: a plain old fire was once considered a god... need i say more?
the earth was also once considered the center of the universe

how long will it take us before we realize that that doesn't exist either?

not soon enough

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 15:00:26

Yes the first atom of the Big Bang JUST happened to be strolling along into existence. I can understand someone saying that religion is crap and all, but saying that there is no creator mastermind behind the universe is like being an angsty teenager.

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 15:20:31

It's something so complicated that we as humans will probably never be able to understand. At least, not while alive. I'm sure if Heaven exists, he'd tell us.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to Before God. 2009-02-08 15:40:21

At 2/8/09 10:06 AM, doubleone wrote: If there is some kind of god out there that made everything, then how did such a being come into existence?
Was he just there since the beginning of time? Or was he created by a super god?
Think hard about it.

i know it makes no sence to the mortal humans' mind but god has no beggning and has no end.
he is infinity, he's everything.... he is the past future and prasent