00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GodsPurpose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pastryman's Sketches

5,330 Views | 72 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Pastryman's Sketches 2009-01-31 01:38:11

Hey, check this head I drew up a little while ago. I've been practicing heads and faces a lot, mostly doodles in notebooks, though. Its a bit wackily proportioned, but it adds to the charm I think.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-01-31 04:23:13

looks like the kind of stuff i speed-draw while bored.

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-01-31 09:31:06

shading is nearly non-existant.
the sketch is unproportional.

Lordadon is your Lord

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-01-31 16:03:40

Heres another

Any constructive criticism is appreciated.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-01-31 19:05:57

dude this isnt very good. Picasso got away with this sort of stuff because he was well respected for his actual work. regular guys like you and me cant get away with this type of stuff yet.

try taking more time, really think about proportion, shading, angle work. maybe brush up of your anatomy. im sure you'll do well if you try harder.

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-02-03 05:12:51

This is quite good but i personally don't like the very sketchy look of it, and it isn't very porportional....

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-03-05 18:15:31

Heres one I made in iScribble :D

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-03-05 18:18:43

At 3/5/09 06:15 PM, PastryMan wrote: Heres one I made in iScribble :D

Sorry, forgot to mention I drew the pirate, rest are from other users

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-03-05 18:27:43

At 3/5/09 06:18 PM, PastryMan wrote: Sorry, forgot to mention I drew the pirate, rest are from other users

I'm guessing you mean the one on the right? It doesn't really look like a pirate, but I can tell its yours from all of the jagged lines. Personally I think you use too many straight lines, making the picture seem to sharp and jagged. Use some more curves to smooth out the faces.

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-03-06 20:15:50

Another from iScribble. I drew the mustached man.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-03-06 21:12:55

At 3/6/09 08:15 PM, PastryMan wrote: Another from iScribble. I drew the mustached man.

wtf is in the corner?

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-12-06 18:22:41

Updates

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-12-06 21:02:49

At 1/31/09 09:31 AM, LordAdon wrote: the sketch is unproportional.

Picasso wasn't either .

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-12-06 21:20:29

At 12/6/09 09:02 PM, Synnxile wrote:
At 1/31/09 09:31 AM, LordAdon wrote: the sketch is unproportional.
Picasso wasn't either .

I was about to say the same thing. Picasso was far more famous for his 'disproportional' and 'wackly' paintings rather than his realistic-looking ones. Art doesn't have to be proportional...especially not in this kind of style which is caricature.

Back to the art, I like the sketchiness of it, and I'd like to see you try more expressions in your style.

uuuuuuuugh

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-12-06 23:17:50

Pirate I made by sketching a reference picture and then coloring it in. I wish I could at least get to the level where I'm making such sketches from imagination.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2009-12-06 23:23:00

At 12/6/09 11:17 PM, PastryMan wrote: Pirate I made by sketching a reference picture and then coloring it in. I wish I could at least get to the level where I'm making such sketches from imagination.

this is kind of like how i create my portraits..like my Clint Eastwood one i done.

Btw, good job on this.

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-07-29 04:34:39

Updates.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-01 01:30:58

Post 1000!

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-01 03:17:28

The Carcass.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-09 20:24:09

I'll keep bumping. Comments and constructive criticism would be great :D

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-09 20:29:33

She has a huge forhead. The eyes are where they need to be, but the hair is way too big, and too high up. Also, her neck is very unproportional.
I would brush up on your anatomy and proportions. Also, please don't respond to criticism by comparing yourself to picasso. Thats just arrogant.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-09 20:53:10

At 8/9/10 08:29 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: She has a huge forhead. The eyes are where they need to be, but the hair is way too big, and too high up. Also, her neck is very unproportional.

Haha, it's supposed to be a guy, but you know how it is with elves.

I would brush up on your anatomy and proportions. Also, please don't respond to criticism by comparing yourself to picasso. Thats just arrogant.

I never commented on Picasso; obviously I don't think of myself being on the same level as him.

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-09 21:02:16

I never commented on Picasso; obviously I don't think of myself being on the same level as him.

Oops, someone else said that, i just assumed it was you. And my bad about the guy girl.

well now I made myself look like an ass.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-09 22:04:00

The stuff looks pretty good. I remember my cousin used to draw like this. And you're about as good on computer as he was freehand, so that's saying something. As I'm not an experienced artist, I can't say much more. But I figured you could use some positive energy.

Keep it up - eventually you won't need references at all. It comes with experience. Good luck.

If it's nerdy, it's here (or will be soon).

The Nerd Empire!

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-10 03:48:36

At 8/9/10 10:04 PM, wanderlike wrote: The stuff looks pretty good. I remember my cousin used to draw like this. And you're about as good on computer as he was freehand, so that's saying something. As I'm not an experienced artist, I can't say much more. But I figured you could use some positive energy.

Keep it up - eventually you won't need references at all. It comes with experience. Good luck.

Thanks man, it means a lot. It's really tough for artists to know how their work looks like to other people. I look at my work and I feel great about it, and it feels even better when I know I'm not delusional.

Borscht.

Pastryman's Sketches

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-10 06:17:08

Skin tones always got warm color into it (put your hand next to a light bulb, it looks more redish), your shading could improve if you didn't tone down your colors with greys.

My art thread!

Clicky for my DA!

BBS Signature

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-10 16:38:07

At 8/10/10 03:48 AM, PastryMan wrote: Borscht.

There's a problem with facial proportions here, I think. The left eye (from my perspective) should be a little bit lower and there doesn't seem to be a line or patch of shading that defines the end of the jaw bone (which should be visible at this angle even with the shaggy haircut). There's something about the mouth that strikes me as odd, but I can't quite put my finger on it. The neck is also too far back so that it looks like the chin and face are sticking out too much.

On another note, I feel like there's a stylistic inconsistency. The face and hair are detailed and textured, but the background, especially the bowl, is simple. There's nothing wrong with either of those styles, per se, but together they just don't sit right for me.

[quote]

whoa art what

BBS Signature

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-10 17:09:34

At 8/10/10 04:38 PM, InsertFunnyUserName wrote: On another note, I feel like there's a stylistic inconsistency. The face and hair are detailed and textured, but the background, especially the bowl, is simple. There's nothing wrong with either of those styles, per se, but together they just don't sit right for me.

Yeah you're right, I basically added the bowl at the last moment to try and bring some sort of humor into the picture. I also feel like the text is too generic. Thanks for the comments!

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-10 22:36:00

At 8/10/10 03:48 AM, PastryMan wrote:
At 8/9/10 10:04 PM, wanderlike wrote: The stuff looks pretty good. I remember my cousin used to draw like this. And you're about as good on computer as he was freehand, so that's saying something. As I'm not an experienced artist, I can't say much more. But I figured you could use some positive energy.

Thanks man, it means a lot. It's really tough for artists to know how their work looks like to other people. I look at my work and I feel great about it, and it feels even better when I know I'm not delusional.

Borscht.

No problem. I think any form of art - visual arts especially - can be tricky. Going to forums tends to mean you're being judged against the best things anyone has ever seen. You walk into a random group of artists and you could be best. In the world, most people don't even rank against the best.

But anyone could be the best with enough work. Unless you were missing both your hands. Then, well, you can be as dedicated as you want and I don't think it matters...

If it's nerdy, it's here (or will be soon).

The Nerd Empire!

Response to Pastryman's Sketches 2010-08-11 00:14:37

i love the one with the red bull.. is it a bull? i wonder..lol

free online flash games-play free online flash ganes

free online cool games-play free online cool games

BBS Signature