00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheADHX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Musician Of The Year

11,659 Views | 154 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 11:23:17

And even though this person hasn't had a front page song yet, YunVeroz has a pretty unique style throughout the course of 08. Especially with his track Automatic Panic. :3

TdM / Cannibal Brigade / The Silent Minority / NUG Ventrilo Mod

Cyrez Tha War Spawn

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 11:46:50

My nomination: Danman87

Danman87 exceeds the capabilities of many on Newgrounds. His film-esque classical pieces are a cut above the rest in musicality and tone, and his works "Enter the Stronghold" and "A New Day" are great examples of his superiority.

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 11:53:33

Envy - Amazing artist and posted decent amount of good songs.
Kr1z - REALLY amazing but not so active for 2008
Maestrorage - Active and awesome =).
SBB - Dam sexy music!! Really artistic, original, and overall very enjoyable.

I would vote SBB.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 12:13:56

Sorohanro- The best reason I have is just listening to his music. You can tell he put a lot of work into it especially since he actually had to play instruments.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 12:14:04

Nubbin

Danman

Nal

Audio Surgery

I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 15:07:55

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I couldn't vote for anybody because I've probably listened to 0001% of the artists on the AP.

Hell, that may be overstating it.

But my point is that you never know who has the best music. There are artists who get a LOT of exposure, especially depending on their genre

That's right, you trance bastards! lol jk

So to pick Maestro or Danman87 or PX9 is just going with the crowd, in my view. If I'm gonna pick, I'm gonna make an informed decision or no decision at all.

But if I were to pick one, it would probably be Danman87 or Paradoxphenomena just because they compose some sickening film scores.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 15:32:49

I was thinking about this for a while. I was really torn between Karco and xKore.

Karco has been a great mentor of mine for a while, he's always been a huge help to me, as well as anyone else on NG.
He makes some amazing music that's pretty much flawless.

BUT
I'd have to go with xkore on this one.
Kore really came from pretty much nowhere.
His first submitted song was on top 5, and it was one that deserved it. He makes some amazing music, which could compare easily with Karco's.
xKore, although might mess around a little on the forums, or in general, he's an amazing musician with amazing talent and a huge amount of potential.

So, in all, my vote would have to be xKore.

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 16:02:53

MJTTOMB

Hands down.

Go listen to his Nocturne No. 1 and I think you'll agree.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 16:36:00

At 1/28/09 04:29 PM, Bjra wrote:
At 1/28/09 04:02 PM, nal1200 wrote: MJTTOMB

Hands down.

Go listen to his Nocturne No. 1 and I think you'll agree.
its like 9000 penis's just raped my ears

I think maybe i should have replaced the horse with Oprah

Musician Of The Year

Audio Surgery

I got my wisdom teeth fing pulled

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 16:40:13

All excellent suggestions lads, I have a few of my own, a few quick points i'd like to bring up. Though it's true there are a LOT of really great songs, and really great artists, in order to help decide who should be nominated, the audio mods felt that a few guidelines would help (it definitely did us)

- Overall popularity
- How well received/used the artists submissions have been in flashes
- Monthly Audio Contest's
- Did the artist make a certain impact of the AP and/or NG as whole?
- Preferably shouldn't have made one smash-hit only, rather contributed with more material
- Did the artist develop significantly over the year?

I'd really like to stress the fourth point. Great talent comes and goes, it takes some real balls (as most of us have here, Solus is a chick) to stick around and continue supporting and contributing to the AP. For this reason I don't agree with many nominations thrown out thus far. I'm not going to say who, that's just going to get ugly.

I will give my nominations in a bit. I want to make sure I am 100% confident with my own nominations, with solid good reasons why.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 16:49:47

I don't care what anyone says--I think Winterwind should win. He's been around for a while and, although his fanbase is quite large (compared to mine, at least), his music hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves yet. His submissions in 2008 were amazing, every last one of them, and they show that he's still growing tremendously as an artist.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 17:26:04

dj-nate is simply the best artist on here.

"Girl your love is like a "nuclear weapon.

EricTheMan AkA:

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 17:43:19

At 1/28/09 05:26 PM, EricTheMan wrote: dj-nate is simply the best artist on here.

I guess we'll all have to accept that..

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 17:53:58

At 1/28/09 12:57 AM, dj-Nate wrote:

, and the long forgotten tf-ownedyou gave me some nostalgia.

You do know TF owned you hasn't submitted any songs in 08 right?

There's also the fact that his DnB song Life is stolen from Pendulum.

Just thought I'd inform you.
On the note of the actual nomination I'm still thinking about it or if I even want to have to play the choosing game. :( Most of the people I've met on the AP have influenced me in many ways.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 18:35:46

Winterwind-NS for sure, I'm surprised he didn't even get nominated last year.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 18:41:46

At 1/28/09 05:19 PM, Chronamut wrote:
- How well received/used the artists submissions have been in flashes
yes and no - there are a lot of crappy sonic/sprite/megaman flashes out there - used in flash really isnt any indication of how "good" a song is - its more of how generically convenient it is.

In the context of the flash, being able to create something convienent for flash is an indication of how useful the musician can be to the flash artist.

- Monthly Audio Contest's
I don't agree with this - there are some contests that some people just don't want to participate in - some people don't enjoy contests as well - and just want to do their own thing music wise. Just because you guys made the macs doesn't mean that we have to participate in them.

Well, a contest is a great place where you can show your versability as an artist and that you can produce something that spawns from another person's ideas.

- Did the artist develop significantly over the year?
I don't know if thats exactly fair - there are artists on this site that have been awesome for years - are you saying they shouldn't be eligible just because they didnt go from crappy to amazing in the span of a single year? I think not.

Great point Chronamut, after all, this isnt the most improved musician award :P I think that criterion should be thrown off the list.

I'd really like to stress the fourth point. Great talent comes and goes, it takes some real balls (as most of us have here, Solus is a chick) to stick around and continue supporting and contributing to the AP. For this reason I don't agree with many nominations thrown out thus far. I'm not going to say who, that's just going to get ugly.

That point doesnt really take away from their contributions to the current year the award is for, the best musicians amongst may leave for the better if they get a deal or what or not and by the contract that they sign they can only post demos (I wouldnt know of the legalities). Or hypothetically, maybe Adam Phillips recieves a job in 2008 in Disney and no longer has time to create flashes for NG anymore...Just because he can no longer submit to the portal doesnt negate the huge impact he had on Newgrounds in 2007.

And any discussion that involves competition is susceptible to get heated - a little debate doesnt hurt :P

Also, are we going to nominate 1 person, or nominate a few different people? The latter seems like the easier choice, since many of us can't decide on just 1 person :D

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 19:24:14

After lots of thinking, ive chosen the following:

nubbinownz - never has anyone helped me in breakcore other than him. He's flatout SICKKK.

SineRider - His IDM/glitch works and ambient thingamajigs moved me in many ways.

bjra - the 'B' stands for bandwagon :3

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 19:34:40

Man! i wish i could nominate myself but i cant since most of my songs are videogame remixes.
Yet still i have a small fanbase. And there where people who wanted to use one of my songs in there flashes. And i did get once top30. But this year im gonna try making my own songs and melodies and come with a straight face and nominate myself :)

But for now i would choose F-777 because his songs just sound like a VG gerne. Man i sound like a hardecore gamer even thou im not. I just like the songs that play in the games.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 19:37:52

At 1/28/09 10:50 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote:
At 1/28/09 05:44 AM, Kr1z wrote: Hmm..
Kazm0 did some really impressive things imo!
I vote for him :)
I second this. Vote for the Kazmologist!

I third Kasm0 !

Come on guys open your eyes O.O!!! I mean, Karco has made an amazing job this year, but Kasm0 has submitted like the double of songs, just take a look at his 2008 track list and he hasnt just submitted random stuff like Bjra (no offense intended ^^'), he has submitted professional quality stuff with vocals and everything, and most of his awesome songs havent seen the light yet : /

LABEL THIS GUY 4 GOD SAKE!!!!

Btw Halcyonic you gave the wrong link :P

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 20:30:48

Thanks Zoo. I know I did. >_<

But yes, his songs are quite professional in quality now, and he's also helped me out a lot.

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 20:35:37

why are you guys discussin' this? i'm the musician of the year. i'm the musician of eternity. just gimme the damn award and i'll go on with my perpetually amazing and universally famous Life.

my youtube.

click it.

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 20:46:08

i'm gonna have to go with Kazm0....he and i would chat, and he would send me his progress and some of the stuff he would come up with in an hour blew me away. every song of his sounds different....it's his own touch!

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-28 22:10:31

zomg chron i needs linkys again for irc !

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 00:44:51

You know every name here mentioned has my vote. though i will say that Bjra (agreeing with Spawn) has come a long way in a short time.

Wyldfyre1

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 12:39:29

Current list is up.

If I did not tally your votes, it is for one of two reasons.

1. You left me a list with no reasoning.

2. I don't like you (derived from #1).

As for my nominations? I want to be entirely sure of who I want to see with a heavy chunk of metal. Expect paragraphs :D

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 13:20:24

Damn I forgot ze metal! Darksideeeeeeeeeee

How many nominations do we get? :O

Hi there my name is not Bill.

BBS Signature

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 15:01:17

At 1/29/09 01:20 PM, curriemaster wrote: Damn I forgot ze metal! Darksideeeeeeeeeee

How many nominations do we get? :O

As many as you give reasons for. At the moment, GIVE ME REASONS RAAAAAAAAAGH

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 18:44:21

At 1/27/09 07:36 PM, curriemaster wrote: Yeah Chron Im with you on RyeGuyHead, ever since he beat me on the NG Themetune MAC in 2007 Ive listened to his songs quite a bit and theyre all at least pretty sweet. Most are awesome. And he does a lot of different styles well.

Hell yea! If we were judging this contest by amount of different styles, my nomination would be a no brainer. BUT Im not popular so...shit.

Sorry Chron, didn't mean to challenge your ng seniority, thanks for the support though.
Its nice to be so old and so young at the same time.

I think next year will be mine...muahahaa

Developer by day; Deviant by night

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 18:55:07

gonna have to go with Winterwind-NS. Not only is this guy an active musician, but his talent has really stretched in all directions. despite coming from a classical background, he still branches out to other genres, showing that he's genuinely interested in making music. I think it's time for him to get some recognition for his work.

plus he's ttly a kool kat yo

Response to Musician Of The Year 2009-01-29 20:32:58

Well as the best psychedelic breakbeat techno artist on the AP, I personally think that you should probably click my signature D: