Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 3rd, 2009 @ 03:16 PM Reply

Creating Sounds

At 5/3/09 12:37 PM, MICHhimself wrote: DPC (I'll refer to you with that from now on, lol), Are you having trouble with making your own synth settings?
Maybe this linky could help you further a bit then. By knowing what exactly those elements on a synth do, the barrier to create your own sounds, while knowing what you're doing gets a lot lower.

Not trouble with the setting persé - more the making it sound good with said settings, lol :P
I did study in college last year about subtractive and additive synthesis. I just lose patients when it comes to making them.

Thanks for the link though, I'll give that a read.

Gorgorothx
Gorgorothx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 3rd, 2009 @ 05:47 PM Reply

Autechre

At 5/3/09 01:55 PM, unowned wrote: why do autechre prefer hardware

Probably because they've been making electronic music for decades, and it's what they know best... some people just feel more "in control" when they use hardware units, which I can understand.

Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 3rd, 2009 @ 06:01 PM Reply

BBS-error (from previous page)

it happens now and then when a post gets deleted, sometimes the counter doesn't keep up. usually somone posts in the thread to "make it right", its possible that it gets fixed after a certain amount of time too, or something like that... im not 100%
it can display wrong poster as last poster, if the laast post have been deleted too. but its a minor issue. luzzzl

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:22 PM Reply

TOM IS KING
Seriously, how is it possible that I contacted him less than 24 hours ago, and he already had my username changed (well, removed the numbers, but you get the picture)? Massive respect.

BBS Signature
ninjakoopa-33
ninjakoopa-33
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 3rd, 2009 @ 07:31 PM Reply

TOM IS KING

Congrats on the name change Hades! Damn, I should have sent my request in before. I said I was going to do it then, but I'm just too lazy :P

JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:27 AM Reply

I wish those who download my songs would also rate my songs. I would usually get more downloads than votes.

Something needs to go here.

nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 01:03 AM Reply

DavidOrr

Anyone know what his setup is? I.e. Orchestral VSTis?

They sound incredibly real (although several spots sound fabricated) and i'm wondering what he's using.

iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 01:15 AM Reply

At 5/3/09 07:22 PM, Hades wrote: TOM IS KING
Seriously, how is it possible that I contacted him less than 24 hours ago, and he already had my username changed (well, removed the numbers, but you get the picture)? Massive respect.

Yaaaay. Now we don't have them numbers we never needed. That was amazingly fast though. Good job :)

gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 04:23 AM Reply

Knob Twiddling

At 5/3/09 01:09 PM, Nithalahk wrote:
That's the most incredible thing I find about makers of electronic music. How anyone can take joy in staring at moniters on an all-nighter, carefully adjusting knobs with a mouse...instead of getting their blood flowing with a fast, rewarding riff...it's all just beyond me.

Well all that knob turning pays off in the end, when all the tiny little details you did come together to form the big picture. The fun for me is the process of going between how something is in my head and how it will eventually end up as an mp3. And it amazes me sometimes when I think about it, electronic music and synthesis in general is boiled down to a science. All that cold calculating lifeless power of a computer merged with the creativity, judgement, and feeling of a person, that comes together to form something as raw and abstract as sound. Sound can have such power over us, even though all it is is vibrations traveling through the air. When I produce, it feels like I have control over sound. (which is pretty much a godly feeling)

Nekoprism
Nekoprism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 08:02 AM Reply

Knob Twiddling

At 5/4/09 04:23 AM, gregaaron89 wrote:
At 5/3/09 01:09 PM, Nithalahk wrote:
That's the most incredible thing I find about makers of electronic music. How anyone can take joy in staring at moniters on an all-nighter, carefully adjusting knobs with a mouse...instead of getting their blood flowing with a fast, rewarding riff...it's all just beyond me.

:At 5/4/09 04:23 AM, gregaaron89 wrote:

All that cold calculating lifeless power of a computer merged with the creativity, judgement, and feeling of a person, that comes together to form something as raw and abstract as sound. Sound can have such power over us, even though all it is is vibrations traveling through the air. When I produce, it feels like I have control over sound. (which is pretty much a godly feeling)

Nithalahk: I wish I could feel like that. I use to have a KeystationPro 88 and could never achieve anything with the controller itself. I learn to use Reason with my mouse so I'm kind of use to it. Now, the more I compose the more I feel the need for a controller. I wish I could find just a little one that would be easy to use... AND not too expensive.

gregaaron89: Man that's deep! But I totally feel that way too with electronic music.

Mondays

Aww guys I hate mondays! I completed my last song yesterday... and I'm still under the adrenaline rush the inspiration gave me and I REALLY don't feel like going to work this morning. To me, feels like a hangover... but without the pleasure of the drinking before... Well I can still listen to my last creation and feel proud about it... Anyway, Have a good Monday everyone!

BBS Signature
iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 08:07 AM Reply

At 5/4/09 08:02 AM, Nekoprism wrote: Mondays

I just dislike the fact that on Mondays, All I can think about is the week ahead and all the crap its going to hold. Studies, School and Gym mainly. Although, I'm getting rid of Gym next year, So I can try to just stick that out. Otherwise, I'm quite keen on making my new Songs. I'm gonna have a week or so off though, And plan ahead this time.

Yay :|

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 11:07 AM Reply

At 5/4/09 01:03 AM, nal1200 wrote: DavidOrr

They sound incredibly real (although several spots sound fabricated) and i'm wondering what he's using.

I know he uses vstis - like garritan viloin, and he might use vienna vst as well.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!
I'm such an audio FAG!

BBS Signature
Phoog
Phoog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 12:00 PM Reply

TOM IS KING

At 5/3/09 07:22 PM, Hades wrote: Seriously, how is it possible that I contacted him less than 24 hours ago, and he already had my username changed (well, removed the numbers, but you get the picture)? Massive respect.

Heh. Same with me.
Big up the Fulp, an' all thart!

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 01:04 PM Reply

TOM IS KING

At 5/4/09 12:00 PM, DexterPowercrush wrote:
At 5/3/09 07:22 PM, Hades wrote: Seriously, how is it possible that I contacted him less than 24 hours ago, and he already had my username changed (well, removed the numbers, but you get the picture)? Massive respect.
Heh. Same with me.
Big up the Fulp, an' all thart!

YESH, Glad to see you username looks decent now :D
0013 after it looked a bit silly :p

Hades
Hades
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 01:29 PM Reply

TOM IS KING

At 5/4/09 01:04 PM, MICHhimself wrote: YESH, Glad to see you username looks decent now :D
0013 after it looked a bit silly :p

Oh, yeah? Well your name looks silly with the 'Profile / Posts / Contact' after it! Jackass.

<3

BBS Signature
nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 11:07 AM, Chronamut wrote:
At 5/4/09 01:03 AM, nal1200 wrote: DavidOrr

I know he uses vstis - like garritan viloin, and he might use vienna vst as well.

DavidOrr

Those must either be extremely well-recorded samples or he must be an expert masterer.

The instruments are incredibly rich in sound and have hardly any flaws (that I can tell.)

I wonder if he'd send me a copy of his library..

Emotive
Emotive
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 06:45 PM Reply

Tom Is Kind

I'd wish I'd known that I could get my username changed before I changed accounts :(

EchozAurora
EchozAurora
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 07:17 PM Reply

Rawr.

Yeah.. I'm not dead.

I've just been having interweb issues.

But I hijacked my roommate's comp at the moment. And... I'll be moving at the end of the month.. and sorting it all out then. (So.. somewhere around the end of the month I'll have reliable interwebs again)

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod.
Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature
iCurrie
iCurrie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 07:58 PM Reply

</3

Today, I pulled my Audio from Newgrounds. Its all explained in my Blog. I think I have an inkling as to why Wind Waker screwed up, But I'm not entirely sure. Just wanna say sorry to anyone who reviewed or favorited them. I was getting pretty annoyed at the stupid people who didn't realise they could have done like 1 minute of reading, And saved me the hassle of deleting Temple Of Time.

Anyway, Enough ranting. I'm just sorry to anyone who put some time in. The better version of the two, will be on the Site within this month. Sorry again :)

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 09:08 PM Reply

I feel bad newgrounds

But I'm not submitting full tracks frequently here anymore. More information in the post.

I love all of you regs xD But I'll still be posting here in the AFL. <3

nal1200
nal1200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 09:08 PM, Sungazer wrote: I feel bad newgrounds

But I'm not submitting full tracks frequently here anymore. More information in the post.

I love all of you regs xD But I'll still be posting here in the AFL. <3

People leaving Newgrounds because of the RSS feed/zero bombers

The audio portal has been in need of a face lift and tweak for some time. Hopefully we'll see that change soon, before all of the regulars leave.

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 10:02 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 09:57 PM, nal1200 wrote:
The audio portal has been in need of a face lift and tweak for some time. Hopefully we'll see that change soon, before all of the regulars leave.

i just wanna improve more on my tracks on other music sites, where the site is suppose to be there for music. most people here say, OMG THIS IS AWESOME, and about 30% of the reviewers actually write something. but a lot of people have been getting lazy lately, and busy, so things have just been going down hill.

JinNJuice
JinNJuice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 10:08 PM Reply

I realized something that alot of newgrounds audio listeners do. No vocals means lame. I suffer from their irrational reasoning... sorta. Keyword "MOST". Not all.

I say let ratings be done by reviews only, at least for the audio portal. That way, it makes people give their thoughts. Majority of review ratings are insanely higher than score ratings, which makes score underrated and reviews overrated. Better off doing 2 in 1 to balance it out.
JUST A SUGGESTION! If it's not a good idea, then I'm the idiot.

Something needs to go here.

Offgore
Offgore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 10:14 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 10:08 PM, JinNJuice wrote:
I say let ratings be done by reviews only, at least for the audio portal. That way, it makes people give their thoughts. Majority of review ratings are insanely higher than score ratings, which makes score underrated and reviews overrated. Better off doing 2 in 1 to balance it out.
JUST A SUGGESTION! If it's not a good idea, then I'm the idiot.

don't worry. a lot of people have had that idea before lol. your not the only genius here ;)

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 10:42 PM Reply

LED Dimming

So today I devised a pretty simple strategy for LED Dimming, using a single transistor per channel.

Here's a link to a video, though since it's on facebook I'm not 100% sure it'll work. But we'll see.

LED DIMMER

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 10:53 PM Reply

^ Video is too dark

Report Songs|Submit Ideas|How Erkie reviews|
94% of posts made in AF since 2005

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 11:02 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 10:53 PM, Erkie wrote: ^ Video is too dark

Was supposed to be dark. On account of the thing I'm videoing is... lights.

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 11:03 PM Reply

Yeah but I don't know what the hell the LEDs are or what you're doing.

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 5/4/09 11:03 PM, Erkie wrote: Yeah but I don't know what the hell the LEDs are or what you're doing.

pff.

VIDEO TWO

This circuit is pretty badass because it's got a parts cost of a couple bucks per channel, and could hypothetically be scaled pretty big.

Erkie
Erkie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge May. 4th, 2009 @ 11:16 PM Reply

I guess that'd be cool if I wanted to make a flickering business suit.

BBS Signature