Be a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

  • 1,025,907 Views
  • 37,025 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 14:12:22 Reply

At 5/3/12 11:33 AM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 05:48 AM, Marachii wrote:
At 5/2/12 11:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 5/2/12 10:47 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: We don't bite (most of us anyways) :P
I bite. Fear me!
I seen more bite come from a pacifistic turtle! >:U
that's not saying much.

I think I'd still prefer to be bitten by the turtle.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 14:22:09 Reply

At 5/3/12 02:12 PM, SuperBastard wrote:
At 5/3/12 11:33 AM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 05:48 AM, Marachii wrote:
At 5/2/12 11:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 5/2/12 10:47 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: We don't bite (most of us anyways) :P
I bite. Fear me!
I seen more bite come from a pacifistic turtle! >:U
that's not saying much.
I think I'd still prefer to be bitten by the turtle.

did you ever see that video/gif of a snapping turtle biting a mouse in half?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 14:47:28 Reply

At 5/3/12 02:22 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 5/3/12 02:12 PM, SuperBastard wrote:
At 5/3/12 11:33 AM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 05:48 AM, Marachii wrote:
At 5/2/12 11:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 5/2/12 10:47 PM, BrokenDeck wrote: We don't bite (most of us anyways) :P
I bite. Fear me!
I seen more bite come from a pacifistic turtle! >:U
that's not saying much.
I think I'd still prefer to be bitten by the turtle.
did you ever see that video/gif of a snapping turtle biting a mouse in half?

that was a terrible video - I saw it by clicking one of eyelovepoozy's videos.. it took me months to get it out of my head.

Marachii
Marachii
  • Member since: Jan. 10, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Filmmaker
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 14:56:13 Reply

Totally forgot about that. Until now. Oh boy, the cringing I did.

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:19:39 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:13 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Well I suppose I should find and watch this video... Add "watched mouse be violently executed" to the life experiences list.

For the record.. horribly NSFW and scarring

Sir-Arthur
Sir-Arthur
  • Member since: Jan. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:20:32 Reply

check out my shit
acid rap
on my page
fucking dumb


CLICK ON THE MOTHERFUCKING BANNER

BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:38:01 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:19 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 5/3/12 03:13 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Well I suppose I should find and watch this video... Add "watched mouse be violently executed" to the life experiences list.
For the record.. horribly NSFW and scarring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SILRT0ADSFY&feature=related#t =2m04s

Found this one. Music's kinda loud.

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:40:14 Reply

I know what you're all thinking.. "wow what a n00b!" (I could care less, I am not new to society)....

Introduction aside, I feel like shit when sound loops are frowned upon, because that's just what I've been doing for years now. I honestly don't have the time, money, software, or equipment to record myself. I pour my sorrows unto those who read my petty whining


BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:43:52 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:40 PM, MumboJ wrote: I know what you're all thinking.. "wow what a n00b!" (I could care less, I am not new to society)....

Introduction aside, I feel like shit when sound loops are frowned upon, because that's just what I've been doing for years now. I honestly don't have the time, money, software, or equipment to record myself. I pour my sorrows unto those who read my petty whining

What's your point, exactly? What kind of "sound loops?" You mean like a few seconds of random sound?

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:48:52 Reply

What's your point, exactly? What kind of "sound loops?" You mean like a few seconds of random sound?

I mean sound loops like one measure shots of drum beats, fills, nonsensical sequences, effects, pads, etc..


BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:57:06 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:40 PM, MumboJ wrote: I honestly don't have the time, money, software, or equipment to record myself.

To make great things you have to spend at least a considerable amount of time and effort. Money and tools help too obviously.

If you can't do that then that's fine, but don't pretend that your collages of loops made by other people are anything worthwhile or interesting in any way either.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 15:59:56 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:19 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 5/3/12 03:13 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Well I suppose I should find and watch this video... Add "watched mouse be violently executed" to the life experiences list.
For the record.. horribly NSFW and scarring

Why god why.

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:01:19 Reply

To make great things you have to spend at least a considerable amount of time and effort. Money and tools help too obviously.

If you can't do that then that's fine, but don't pretend that your collages of loops made by other people are anything worthwhile or interesting in any way either.

I am a musician, not just a worthless pile of dung inhabiting a computer desk all day. I don't spend a terrible amount of time or put a considerable amount of effort in my music. I just do it for the fun, feedback, and until now I felt alright about it. If I decide to try and make something that I think would be worthwhile, I would spend more time and perhaps some more money to do that. This is just one of those side things I do that I don't want to take control out of my already busy lifestyle.


BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:02:11 Reply

At 5/3/12 03:48 PM, MumboJ wrote:
What's your point, exactly? What kind of "sound loops?" You mean like a few seconds of random sound?
I mean sound loops like one measure shots of drum beats, fills, nonsensical sequences, effects, pads, etc..

There's plenty of free software that you can obtain to use as a creative outlet without having to resort to slapping together some loops. I use a free program called MilkyTracker to make my music because I'm probably just as poor as you are. All you really need is time and ambition, and if you have the ambition you will find the time.

If you don't have the ambition, though, there's not really a point in trying.

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:08:00 Reply

There's plenty of free software that you can obtain to use as a creative outlet without having to resort to slapping together some loops. I use a free program called MilkyTracker to make my music because I'm probably just as poor as you are. All you really need is time and ambition, and if you have the ambition you will find the time.

Ambition: check.
Time: ... debatable check, maybe when I come home for summer break after fall classes.
I use Sony ACID from like 2007, I have Magix Music Maker (which I actually paid retail for) but that is not allowed for licensing issues. I will most likely look into the free software out there, I just don't want to be short changed the features for free versions


BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:10:58 Reply

I am a musician,

Nope. Sorry to break it to you.

not just a worthless pile of dung inhabiting a computer desk all day. I don't spend a terrible amount of time or put a considerable amount of effort in my music. I just do it for the fun, feedback, and until now I felt alright about it. If I decide to try and make something that I think would be worthwhile, I would spend more time and perhaps some more money to do that. This is just one of those side things I do that I don't want to take control out of my already busy lifestyle.

That's good for you then! Still not a musician though unfortunately!

SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:12:52 Reply

At 5/3/12 04:08 PM, MumboJ wrote:

:I just don't want to be short changed the features for free versions

Hard to be short changed when you're getting something for free, lol

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:13:26 Reply

Nope. Sorry to break it to you.

Excuse me?

-2 years Piano experience
-11 years of Drum lessons (just stopped last summer when I moved out for college)
-8 years playing the Trombone throughout school and still pick it up once in a while.

Sir, you don't know me.


BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:14:25 Reply

At 5/3/12 04:12 PM, SuperBastard wrote:
At 5/3/12 04:08 PM, MumboJ wrote:
I just don't want to be short changed the features for free versions
Hard to be short changed when you're getting something for free, lol

GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I'M SO BAD AT QUOTING

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:26:15 Reply

At 5/3/12 04:20 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 04:13 PM, MumboJ wrote: Sir, you don't know me.
we only know what you tell us, and you told us you only make one-bar loops. yes, you are a musician, but what you're whining about isn't valid because a one-bar loop is not music, no matter how much you bitch and call us ignorant.

if the point of your argument is to convince us otherwise, don't waste our time.

I should have clarified when I said that. Apologies. I am also not trying to convince you that one-bar loops are music, because in fact I am also skeptical myself. But much of music that is created live (not electronically) is done so in a repetitive manner. That is why I cannot pin down, what is or isn't music. A drum beat is repeated with slight variation.. (Keith Moon aside). I am merely asking for input on the issue. I am not intending to sound "bitchy"


BBS Signature
camoshark
camoshark
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:26:41 Reply

At 5/3/12 04:13 PM, MumboJ wrote:
Nope. Sorry to break it to you.
Excuse me?

-2 years Piano experience
-11 years of Drum lessons (just stopped last summer when I moved out for college)
-8 years playing the Trombone throughout school and still pick it up once in a while.

Sir, you don't know me.

Having experience playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician. To call yourself a musician, you also have to have the will to create, to innovate, in the art. If you don't consider this worthwhile and consider this more of a hobby, you're not a musician, you're a hobbyist (and that's alright).

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:33:58 Reply

Having experience playing an instrument doesn't make you a musician. To call yourself a musician, you also have to have the will to create, to innovate, in the art. If you don't consider this worthwhile and consider this more of a hobby, you're not a musician, you're a hobbyist (and that's alright).

Boy oh boy do I need to explain myself clearly the first time around. The sound loops thing is my hobby, not being a musician. I don't plan on going professional, but it is still a major part of my life and would never hold it anywhere below a passion.


BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 16:55:26 Reply

At 5/3/12 04:26 PM, MumboJ wrote:
At 5/3/12 04:20 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 04:13 PM, MumboJ wrote: Sir, you don't know me.
we only know what you tell us, and you told us you only make one-bar loops. yes, you are a musician, but what you're whining about isn't valid because a one-bar loop is not music, no matter how much you bitch and call us ignorant.

if the point of your argument is to convince us otherwise, don't waste our time.
I should have clarified when I said that. Apologies. I am also not trying to convince you that one-bar loops are music, because in fact I am also skeptical myself. But much of music that is created live (not electronically) is done so in a repetitive manner. That is why I cannot pin down, what is or isn't music. A drum beat is repeated with slight variation.. (Keith Moon aside). I am merely asking for input on the issue. I am not intending to sound "bitchy"

I would classify music as an arrangement of sound which orchestrates some sort of feeling. You can't really get much of a feeling out of a short drum loop, so I can hardly call something like that music. However, even if a full song is repetitive, it can still convey a feeling, even if that feeling is as basic as energy.

I dunno, it's like any language, really. A drum loop is just a sound, like a consonant, if you will, that's part of a sentence.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:01:35 Reply

In any case, I don't get your point. What do you want out of this discussion?

Duplo music / loop collages are 'frowned upon' because they are worthless. No creative endeavor is required for their creation, and no one wants to listen to them. If you're not willing to put time into it, then nobody else will. Deal with it.

MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:16:24 Reply

I dunno, it's like any language, really. A drum loop is just a sound, like a consonant, if you will, that's part of a sentence.

That is exactly what I am saying. That is where I am confused as to why people reject repetition even though in all reality it's there. It is part of the art form


BBS Signature
SuperBastard
SuperBastard
  • Member since: Oct. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:21:48 Reply

At 5/3/12 05:16 PM, MumboJ wrote:
I dunno, it's like any language, really. A drum loop is just a sound, like a consonant, if you will, that's part of a sentence.
That is exactly what I am saying. That is where I am confused as to why people reject repetition even though in all reality it's there. It is part of the art form

To be honest, while you can create something out of repetition, too much repetition tends to get pretty fuckin' boring. From a less philosophical standpoint, I'd have to say that an artist who engages in too much repetition doesn't spend enough time on their work, and, as other say, it's not as enticing for the rest of us to listen to.

So while repetition can technically create music, it doesn't necessarily create GOOD music.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:23:11 Reply

At 5/3/12 02:51 PM, LaForge wrote:
At 5/3/12 02:12 PM, SuperBastard wrote: I think I'd still prefer to be bitten by the turtle.
true, Purgy has rabies.

I will neither confirm nor deny the possibility.


Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
MumboJ
MumboJ
  • Member since: Apr. 18, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:26:57 Reply

To be honest, while you can create something out of repetition, too much repetition tends to get pretty fuckin' boring. From a less philosophical standpoint, I'd have to say that an artist who engages in too much repetition doesn't spend enough time on their work, and, as other say, it's not as enticing for the rest of us to listen to.

So while repetition can technically create music, it doesn't necessarily create GOOD music.

I completely agree there. Too much is bad obviously. Its just the fact that some people want to poof it away. Music is produced in a manner that repeats melodies for several verses, chorus, etc. It is just how music is composed. You take some of the most successful artists in the world (whether or not they are actually good musicians) and you will see repetition. It is impossible to escape because that is how music works.


BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-05-03 17:29:37 Reply

At 5/3/12 05:26 PM, MumboJ wrote: Music is produced in a manner that repeats melodies for several verses, chorus, etc. It is just how music is composed. You take some of the most successful artists in the world (whether or not they are actually good musicians) and you will see repetition. It is impossible to escape because that is how music works.

No one was ever arguing against that.