00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zpredojev just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,782,143 Views | 34,320 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 12:15:27

At 10/11/12 11:30 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 10/11/12 11:11 PM, Sequenced wrote: fuck this college shit I'm failing calculus already.
Why on earth are you taking calculus? Trying to be an quantum physicist?

I'm required to take two credits of math.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 12:29:24

At 10/12/12 12:15 PM, Sequenced wrote:
I'm required to take two credits of math.

so take algebra,

thats what im doing :D

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 14:42:45

At 10/12/12 06:00 AM, jarrydn wrote: calculus is gay

If x = 26, and y = 34 / 7pie x 3log^2

then Chronamut = Calculus

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 14:47:09

At 10/12/12 02:42 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

That equation is incomplete. Just sayin'...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 15:08:55

At 10/12/12 02:42 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote:

then Chronamut = Calculus

eureka!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 15:43:14

The calculus course that I took, we weren't allowed to use graphing calculators, or calculators at all. :'( Makes no sense to me TBH.

I failed it of course. Both times.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 16:33:02

my college made ESPN! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRz6prCwdMM

#5 best play.

that was an awesome goal done by a freshman!

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 16:33:26

Maths Stuff

Yeah I don't care for a second that using a calculator often can make you rely so much on it because my calculator is literally a gift from the gods. It calculates the values of derivatives given the x value, integrals given the upper/lower limits, roots of a quadratic, roots of a cubic, all sorts of matrix/vector functions and plenty of other super useful things that make it so easy to check your answers and stuff.

And besides I'm able to work out stuff mentally very well too, since ever since secondary we were always trained to show all our working and simplify as much as possible before we enter anything in the calculator, consequently making me have to work out a lot of stuff mentally.

Regardless, you should see me on the calculator. I type on it nearly as quickly as I type on my keyboard. I love it.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 16:53:47

At 10/12/12 04:37 PM, Computer112 wrote: I never good in doing quick math. There are several thing I can beat most math people I know. I can cite the multiplication tables up to 70. Basically anything in algebra, arithmetic, calculus and geometry, give me complex problems and I can solve them in a reasonable amount of time. Not quick, I cannot do shit in quick time...

Man I used to be exactly the same (except I've always liked theoretical maths regardless). Rushing makes it so easy to cause mistakes. However I've been forced to learn how to be quicker since the exams here are crazy.

An extremely small percentage of people actually finish the whole exam. The average pass rate for this maths exam in Malta is 22% (that means getting an A, B, C, D, or E. So 78% of all the maths students in Malta get an F. Not very encouraging). Therefore, any good school has to gear the students up ridiculously well to speed up and not make mistakes, hence the average of 5 hours of compulsory maths homework I get everyday.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 19:04:42

MATHS

I can't math. I'm taking a compulsory math unit for my degree which is basically babby's first statistics course and I'm kinda not doing too great!

p.s. i am gay

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 20:17:00

Forgot Algebra

You don't need it anymore!

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 20:35:58

At 10/12/12 07:04 PM, midimachine wrote: MATHS

it always makes me lol thats brits put an S at the end.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 21:16:49

At 10/12/12 09:01 PM, Criminal-23 wrote: How EXACTLY will one use such an equation in his life? Unless it's Science-related, it's pretty much useless shit.

And yet in their younger years everyone has to take maths regardless of their career choice, along with many other subjects like additional languages, geography, computing, science, art, history, and so on, of which only a few will be actually relevant and helpful later on in your life.

Welcome to the ever so wonderful and highly efficient system of education employed by today's blossoming world.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 21:44:38

At 10/12/12 09:16 PM, Step wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:01 PM, Criminal-23 wrote: How EXACTLY will one use such an equation in his life? Unless it's Science-related, it's pretty much useless shit.
And yet in their younger years everyone has to take maths regardless of their career choice, along with many other subjects like additional languages, geography, computing, science, art, history, and so on, of which only a few will be actually relevant and helpful later on in your life.

Welcome to the ever so wonderful and highly efficient system of education employed by today's blossoming world.

Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Oh wait, science gave you a house that doesn't fall into pieces when there's an earthquake.

I'm with you people on the whole 'education strips individuality, doesn't recognize unique cognitive abilities in individuals' etc, but to argue that things like science, history or even something as simple as geography aren't useful in life is kind of biased, don't you think?

Besides, after a while you seek education, it doesn't seek you. So to cynically point out that the system is somewhat rigid, is to blindly defy the fact that such a system is, above all, one hell of a luxury.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 21:51:51

At 10/12/12 09:01 PM, Criminal-23 wrote: Well, I don't know how the fuck it works next, but it should be either:
X = 4 Root[3]
Or
X = -4 Root[3]

How EXACTLY will one use such an equation in his life? Unless it's Science-related, it's pretty much useless shit.

LOL, isn't Math is all about logics?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:33:21

At 10/12/12 09:44 PM, la-yinn wrote: Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Oh wait, science gave you a house that doesn't fall into pieces when there's an earthquake.

I'm with you people on the whole 'education strips individuality, doesn't recognize unique cognitive abilities in individuals' etc, but to argue that things like science, history or even something as simple as geography aren't useful in life is kind of biased, don't you think?

Besides, after a while you seek education, it doesn't seek you. So to cynically point out that the system is somewhat rigid, is to blindly defy the fact that such a system is, above all, one hell of a luxury.

Yeah I wasn't really arguing about those subjects being useless. I was arguing that they will be useless to some people. A certain percentage of people go for a medicine-oriented career, others for law, others for music, and so on. Everyone's different, but everyone has to study the same stuff for the first 15 years of their lives or so, and the stuff people learn which they won't study later on in life or take as a career will be almost entirely forgotten because that's what humans do. We forget.

I learned French and Italian for five years and now I can barely ask a French or Italian person what their name and age is. And religion? Not a sliver of information of it left in my skull. Now, other people will say the same about maths and computing. Also, I'm not saying school is useless either because it's the reason educated humans aren't morons (well, most educated humans anyway). But the system is highly flawed, and wastes a lot of time. I kinda thought it was generally agreed upon by everyone that the school system is crap, haha.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:40:31

Since I'm bored, I'll drop in on what I think about algebra's usefulness:

Unless you are a engineer, a scientist (usually related to space-y stuff), an algebra teacher or an accountant, algebra isn't necessarily required for most careers. So why does high schools make you slave over algebra if you want to go to university? (or college?)

Simply because it (may)develop these skills/characteristics:
~ Your tenacity to learn and to store information
~ Gives you better reasoning abilities (when presented with a problem)
~ Allows you to communicate better

So really it's just there to develop your brain a little to prepare you for the glorious glorious fun that will be tertiary education.

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:41:46

At 10/12/12 10:40 PM, Jeromia wrote: glorious glorious fun

LIES!

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 01:23:03

I forget what its called so for all intensive purposes we'll call it "practical math" because thats what it is.

It's a course where you learn math you use everyday, such as percentages, measurements, and I think thats about it really.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 01:28:57

At 10/13/12 01:23 AM, sweet21 wrote: I forget what its called so for all intensive purposes we'll call it "practical math" because thats what it is.

It's a course where you learn math you use everyday, such as percentages, measurements, and I think thats about it really.

Known in Canada as "Applied Mathematics".

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 03:43:18

At 10/13/12 01:28 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Known in Canada as "Applied Mathematics".

Also known In Australia (Queensland) as "Maths A"

and for the people whom like to re-learn grade 7 maths in Austrlia, "Prevocational Maths" XD

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 04:02:19

At 10/12/12 10:40 PM, Jeromia wrote:
Simply because it (may)develop these skills/characteristics:
~ Your tenacity to learn and to store information
~ Gives you better reasoning abilities (when presented with a problem)
~ Allows you to communicate better

So really it's just there to develop your brain a little to prepare you for the glorious glorious fun that will be tertiary education.

Actually for me when I took my calculus courses, that was around the time I first started getting physical pain in my skull from thinking too hard. REALLY.

Using my brain causes physical pain.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 04:18:56

Wow I must've missed a lot, since we're talking about maths and all.
I still hate it.

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 12:27:27

Still talking about maths, guys? Come on, at least talk about cocks then...

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 12:59:20

god Computer112 your trolling is boring and awful

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 13:02:16

At 10/13/12 11:26 AM, Computer112 wrote:
common senses. maths, Most are shits. what does Topology has use IRL? Probably in some applications?

fuk

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 19:58:22

a trol never reveals himself......

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 22:19:06

At 10/13/12 07:58 PM, jpbear wrote: a trol never reveals himself......

He could be in this very room, he could be you, he could be me, he could even be....

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 02:20:12

At 10/13/12 10:19 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 10/13/12 07:58 PM, jpbear wrote: a trol never reveals himself......
He could be in this very room, he could be you, he could be me, he could even be....

...What? IT WAS OBVIOUS!

Bandcamp | Ko-Fi | John Wall of Sound's Bandcamp

one of these days i'll have a proper website lmao

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 08:19:35

At 10/13/12 11:26 AM, Computer112 wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:44 PM, la-yinn wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:16 PM, Step wrote: Welcome to the ever so wonderful and highly efficient system of education employed by today's blossoming world.
Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Building a hut doesn't have anything to do with math. Indigenous people do that all the time. Ask them what is 2 + 2 and they'll give you 5 (you decide the puns!). Do they give a fuck about who won the Nobel prize this year? No.

Stop acting like Mr. Know-it-all, shut up, wake the fuck up and see the real problems. Thank you

I think the real problem is I talked about 2 structures: a modern westernized building (the ones we own and love) and a hut, while saying óne of them was probably made by science (implying the other wasn't), and you think I was talking about the hut. That is nothing short of absolutely retarded.

OF COURSE, Capt. Obvious! Hey asshole, we are not 'blindly' bashing the educations we get/got. In fact if you read the previous posts, every one was saying what is useful and what is use less. Read before posting, for fuck sake.

You really are. I replied to a post which cynically pointed out a lot of knowledge will go to waste, thus making the system far less efficient. But you have to consider that these sciences, including all sorts of mathematics, are used in a lot of concepts which we indulge in daily. The human brain is unfortunately wired so that we are forgetful of things that haven't crossed our paths in a long time. That is why I came up with the whole 'hunting & skinning' example; as to say that you have to be strictly against applying the knowledge you've learned, if you do not ever use it. And yes, I do get that if you spend most of your time jacking off to hentai and playing videogames that maths will be of little use to you. But that doesn't change the fact that thát would make you a miserable person. That goes for maths aswell as art, or even languages. Of course there is little point in learning Spanish if you do not ever visit foreign countries, but if you have dreams of touring the world including South America, it may be extremely valuable.

You really are bashing the system in this regard, by taking on the attitude that your education did not prepare you for the things you wanted to do. Well in their defence, I wouldn't give 5 year olds the responsibility to know what the fuck they'll need later on in life and, as far as I can see, the system focusses on providing a healthy variety in classes; such as languages, sciences, art and sports, even culture and religion in most cases.

Is this not in any way true? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm not, then you're just another whiney little fuckface who's willing to not only insult me multiple times within the same post, but does it without actually knowing what the fuck he's talking about.

In both instances, fuck you. Because there was no need to act like you hold any sort of high ground over me, simply for stating you're too dumb to know the use of science.