New Topic Respond to this Topic
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 18:26:26 Reply

I like to believe that free will doesn't exist so that i don't have to take responsibility for my actions :D

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 19:10:56 Reply

East West PLAY

Do any of you guys know anything about VST coding? Is there a reason that this is always the exception to compatabilities...for example FL finally got 64-bit plug-in support--works for every 64-bit plugin EXCEPT Play. Receptor is the same case, works for all VSTs EXCEPT Play.

What the hell are the soundsonline developers doing to make it not work with so many things? Is it the extra security they have using the iLok? I'm going fucking insane. Spent the last year of my life trying to optimize my usage of this, and I've invested too much time and money to go back

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:25:32 Reply

At 8/19/11 07:10 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: East West PLAY

Do any of you guys know anything about VST coding? Is there a reason that this is always the exception to compatabilities...for example FL finally got 64-bit plug-in support--works for every 64-bit plugin EXCEPT Play. Receptor is the same case, works for all VSTs EXCEPT Play.

What the hell are the soundsonline developers doing to make it not work with so many things? Is it the extra security they have using the iLok? I'm going fucking insane. Spent the last year of my life trying to optimize my usage of this, and I've invested too much time and money to go back

Everyone is always whining and praising eastwest at the same time.
someone needs to bring up the competition on eastwest. They practically have a classical writing vst monopoly. Seriously some people could make serious money if they made a better competing product

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:33:46 Reply

If we knew the precise location, direction and speed of every single particle in the entire universe, we could quite easily (assuming that we had a massive computer) calculate everything that will happen at any point in the future. We already do it with big "particles" (we've been calculating the movement of planets, moons, stars and meteors for millennia), there's no reason why we couldn't do it with every single tiny discrete particle that comprises the universe (including ourselves)

B16
B16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:40:25 Reply

At 8/19/11 08:33 PM, jarrydn wrote: If we knew the precise... ...there's no reason why we couldn't do it with every single tiny discrete particle that comprises the universe (including ourselves)

Are you saying that mankind will have the ability to predict the future with sufficient technology?

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:48:56 Reply

At 8/19/11 08:40 PM, brokendeck wrote:
At 8/19/11 08:33 PM, jarrydn wrote: If we knew the precise... ...there's no reason why we couldn't do it with every single tiny discrete particle that comprises the universe (including ourselves)
Are you saying that mankind will have the ability to predict the future with sufficient technology?

This is the second time today I link to an xkcd comic. With the right amount of technology, anything is probably possible :p

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:50:48 Reply

Nah, "prediction" implies that there might be other possibilities. We would simply be able to know what would happen in the future.

However, at least with our current understanding, it would more than likely require a computer slightly more powerful than our universe.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 20:53:54 Reply

At 8/19/11 08:25 PM, jpbear wrote: Everyone is always whining and praising eastwest at the same time.
someone needs to bring up the competition on eastwest. They practically have a classical writing vst monopoly. Seriously some people could make serious money if they made a better competing product

There are others that are equal quality. Vienna orchestra is one but its pricier. A lot of stuff like percussion, choir and strings have other good competitors too: 8dio epic frame drums and reqiuem. LA Scoring strings. But east west has the highest quality samples hands down, especially for its price (however expensive that may be). I spoke to a developer from Muse Research today about it and he said their development team is really small and so it takes them forever to go company to company working out compatibilities and stuff. Take Hollywood Brass for example, they spent a year on post production just to implement an interpretation script and demos for it.

TLDR; They need to hire more people but I'm guessing they put all their funding into more products instead

We already can. Weather forecasts, astronomical events, life expectancy. The more we know the more we can know, basic technological advancement theory.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 21:18:16 Reply

At 8/19/11 08:53 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: We already can. Weather forecasts, astronomical events, life expectancy. The more we know the more we can know, basic technological advancement theory.

These things, to me, are more like "estimating the future". We can do a lot with extrapolation of data and speculation but it's no crystal ball!

p.s. i am gay

Usernamemyarse
Usernamemyarse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 21:32:39 Reply

Why am i suddenly reminded of THIS movie?

Though the movie goes a bit far off the wild side, it DOES bring up some interesting points.

For example:
If the world IS a giant "computer" and the "patterns" are real then we could theoretically create not just a simulation, but an actual universe identical to the one we are in now, and if thees pattern remain consistent then we could become GOD, or at least have the same powers as him.

If we where able to manipulate said world we could gain knowledge of everything, bcome the Alpha and the Omega.

Of course, we probably will never understand the universe to such a degree to pull this of, but its an interesting thought.

I remember seeing a study on National geographic a long time ago that claimed that the human mind is able to see short glimpses into the future (I have no idea what the status of that project currently is, so dont quote me on that).
Personally? Im skeptical towards the whole "There is no such thing as free will" ordeal, considering the massive amounts of factors surrounding it all, while we do act without thinking sometimes we have the ability to choose between thinking about it, and actually doing it.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 23:07:51 Reply

Guys... guys... I have something I need to tell you...

Sometime last night, I was all alone in my room... When suddenly, out of nowhere... I smelled a fart...

...that wasn't mine!

The Audio Forum Lounge

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Agitat0r
Agitat0r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-19 23:44:16 Reply

At 8/19/11 08:25 PM, jpbear wrote: Everyone is always whining and praising eastwest at the same time.

Since they break off with Native Instrument, it seems to be hopeless for cheap PC users to use their monstrous PLAY products.

Guide to Music Production
One of the things that I love about technology is that what pushes it up against the boundary of physics, so whatever works, works. ~ Hans Zimmer

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 01:07:54 Reply

At 8/19/11 11:44 PM, Computer112 wrote:
Since they break off with Native Instrument, it seems to be hopeless for cheap PC users to use their monstrous PLAY products.

It's not just cheap computers by any means. I'm running the second newest i7 and it hits 100% usage at about 14 instruments, and thats just single articulations of each instrument too. Not to mention the RAM it takes up, for me its right near 3gigs per project with that same amount of instruments. But yeah since they stopped making kontakt versions its been hell

KieranNG
KieranNG
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 01:27:07 Reply

At 8/19/11 11:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Guys... guys... I have something I need to tell you...

Sometime last night, I was all alone in my room... When suddenly, out of nowhere... I smelled a fart...

...that wasn't mine!

My God...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Thanks to QuikFox for the sig.

BBS Signature
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 02:52:47 Reply

At 8/20/11 01:07 AM, LogicalDefiance wrote:
At 8/19/11 11:44 PM, Computer112 wrote:
It's not just cheap computers by any means. I'm running the second newest i7 and it hits 100% usage at about 14 instruments, and thats just single articulations of each instrument too. Not to mention the RAM it takes up, for me its right near 3gigs per project with that same amount of instruments. But yeah since they stopped making kontakt versions its been hell

Tell me about it >.<

I was hoping the 64-bit compatibility for FL Studio would fix some problems, particularly the RAM usage, but then I found out that the bloody thing doesn't work >.>

For me its not the CPU that's the real problem, Its the RAM, although lately I've managed to cut down on the usage a bit by purging the unused samples using the built in function that the PLAY engines have. Still can only load around 20 instruments though :S

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 03:46:39 Reply

I just came to the startling realization that almost everyone I know that makes fun of hipsters... is also kind of a hipster. This also lead to the amusing realization that those people are being hip-ocritical :D :D :D

Seriously, making fun of hipsters is soooooo last year. bu-dum, TISH.
Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 04:15:18 Reply

At 8/19/11 11:07 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Guys... guys... I have something I need to tell you...

...that wasn't mine!

That happens to me all the time, usually its the voices in my head that cause them, but they jokingly refer to them as "brain farts" and then go and blame it on the cat

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 05:43:07 Reply

At 8/19/11 09:32 PM, Usernamemyarse wrote: Personally? Im skeptical towards the whole "There is no such thing as free will" ordeal, considering the massive amounts of factors surrounding it all, while we do act without thinking sometimes we have the ability to choose between thinking about it, and actually doing it.

Our thoughts themselves are predetermined by our past experiences. Every single "choice" we make is predetermined. And changing your mind at the last second is also predetermined by the physics. In the end, all our thoughts and dreams are just electrical pulses flowing through a gigantic network of neurons. That's it.

And fuck man, I finally go out in a whole week for one night, and miss the awesome conversation...
djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 10:50:19 Reply

At 8/20/11 10:43 AM, LaForge wrote:

...that wasn't mine!
The answer is obvious. You are made of farts.

BRILLIANT!

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
Agitat0r
Agitat0r
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 11:14:33 Reply

At 8/20/11 02:52 AM, Echo wrote: For me its not the CPU that's the real problem, Its the RAM, although lately I've managed to cut down on the usage a bit by purging the unused samples using the built in function that the PLAY engines have. Still can only load around 20 instruments though :S

Seems like FL Studio is the only DAW which has RAM and CPU problem with PLAY. I could load about 4-5 more instruments in Samplitude and same with Ableton. (max 17 instruments in FL Studio)

Guide to Music Production
One of the things that I love about technology is that what pushes it up against the boundary of physics, so whatever works, works. ~ Hans Zimmer

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 16:16:58 Reply

*wonders if anyone here is aware of what ascended masters or avatars are and the fact that a long long time ago we were actually much more evolved than we are now..*

B16
B16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 16:21:05 Reply

At 8/20/11 04:16 PM, Chronamut wrote: *wonders if anyone here is aware of what ascended masters or avatars are and the fact that a long long time ago we were actually much more evolved than we are now..*

I've never seen James Cameron's "Avatar" and I don't plan on seeing it anytime soon...

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 16:21:41 Reply

At 8/20/11 04:21 PM, brokendeck wrote:
At 8/20/11 04:16 PM, Chronamut wrote: *wonders if anyone here is aware of what ascended masters or avatars are and the fact that a long long time ago we were actually much more evolved than we are now..*
I've never seen James Cameron's "Avatar" and I don't plan on seeing it anytime soon...

I like trains

B16
B16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 16:47:59 Reply

At 8/20/11 04:21 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
I like trains

I like airplanes

PSvils
PSvils
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 16:57:09 Reply

buuuuuuuuullshit. < That's what I like.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 17:07:46 Reply

trains, airplanes, and bandwagons....i really woulda expected turtles to come up sooner

Kirbyfemur
Kirbyfemur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 17:28:40 Reply

At 8/20/11 05:07 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: trains, airplanes, and bandwagons....i really woulda expected turtles to come up sooner

What do turtles have to do with flying on a train with a wagon attachment?

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 17:38:18 Reply

At 8/20/11 05:28 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:
At 8/20/11 05:07 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: trains, airplanes, and bandwagons....i really woulda expected turtles to come up sooner

because....i like turtles

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 17:38:32 Reply

At 8/20/11 05:28 PM, Kirbyfemur wrote:

Who else is qualified to pilot such a contraption?

BBS Signature
Directinput
Directinput
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-08-20 17:49:13 Reply

At 8/18/11 09:42 AM, xKore wrote: ID LIKE TO THANK MY MUM, MY DAD, MY KIDS, YOUR WIFE etc. etc.

seriously though, this things is cool as fuck, thanks to everyone who supported me :)

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!