00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ChiliChapters just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,779,415 Views | 34,308 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 12:23:42

bootleg is the reciprocal of pantfoot.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 12:39:11

At 7/30/11 12:23 PM, SBB wrote: bootleg is the reciprocal of pantfoot.

like glovearm and sleevehand? Hatneck and scarfhead?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 12:54:14

At 7/29/11 12:20 PM, TMM43 wrote: GOD DAMN!

I cannot get over skillex's Scary monsters and nice spirts! Not the song as a whole, just from :28-:40 and 3:06 to 3:34. Amazing chopped vocals. I wanna do shit like that!

I'm sorry, I just had to tell someone how much I'm digging that right now haha

I have a midi for that song, while it's not to difficult or technical except for the effects and edited sounds, the first lead melody, it sorta wows me as someone who only uses a mouse (I don't play keyboard) I'm sure he used a keyboard or something to write it, the way it hops around in the piano roll and sounds so pretty.

Now to why I clicked here, I feel shitty, uninspired, and am wondering if I'm a shit musician or not, it's been a long time since I asked fellow musicians their opinion on my work as a whole. If anyone here listens to the crap I make I could use an ego boost :(
or if you honestly think I'm overrated or shit, tell me that too, as long as you've heard of me:p
If you want I'll even return the favor.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 15:11:46

At 7/30/11 12:54 PM, stratkat wrote: If anyone here listens to the crap I make I could use an ego boost :(

Ego boosts are futile.

or if you honestly think I'm overrated or shit, tell me that too, as long as you've heard of me:p

Incoming honest opinion. You have a ton of music uploaded in a relatively short period of time, most of it sounds like it was done in just a couple sittings. Mix quality often is weak, or narrow banded, especially with your genre classified dubstep. Bass end is nice, everything else is empty. It makes for a really imbalanced sonic/frequency experience. You have up to a point mostly VG/techno, then dnb, then dubstep. While I havn't done any trend studies on NG, it seems as if you've followed a bit of a progression of doing what is popular on NG, and band wagoning isn't going to make you write better music. A fair bit of your writing doesn't sound like you have a strong handle on theory or composition. If anything, its mostly geared towards making a wobble variable in nature.

My suggestion, spend more time on your songs, and evaluating what is worth uploading. Compare your songs to professional ones that inspire you more, load those songs into your software and look at a parametric EQ to get an idea of some of the differences sonically between your music and the music you want to make. Don't copy other artists. It is a good idea to try things out, or emulate certain aspects, but learn them and use them as your own, not as some skrillex neophyte.

Read some basic theory from wiki, or just google 'writing a song' or 'composition'. You'll find things saying 'for the beginner, pick a scale and stay in it'. Simply using a set scale is a formulaic way of writing your music that will ensure things tend to sound harmonic with one another. You won't have to sit there plotting notes out listening by ear thinking 'Ok is this note good? no... is this one?"

Checking your stuff out now, and in the past hasn't been a horrendous aural experience, it just sounds like you don't take it as seriously as you may think you do.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 16:15:38

At 7/30/11 09:56 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Probably a dumb question, but: what is the difference between a remix and a bootleg?

I'm pretty sure that a remix is when you take say Bohemian Rhapsody By Queen and add your own material to it. A bootleg is I think when you take a song and mix the parts around.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 16:20:38

At 7/30/11 03:42 PM, B0UNC3 wrote:
At 7/30/11 03:11 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: I know my shit....
I'm THIS close to bombarding you with my latest creations for an analysis like that.

May as well, I'm on MSN/ebuddy all the time and we've already networked a little there. :P

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 16:28:44

I believe a bootleg is when you take vocals from one track, and slap them on a different track.

New tune: Yag

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:13:52

At 7/30/11 04:28 PM, Syztm wrote: I believe a bootleg is when you take vocals from one track, and slap them on a different track.

That's irrelevant, that would be a mashup, besides, I heard bootlegs of songs without vocals.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:21:20

At 7/30/11 05:13 PM, Decibel wrote:
At 7/30/11 04:28 PM, Syztm wrote: I believe a bootleg is when you take vocals from one track, and slap them on a different track.
That's irrelevant, that would be a mashup, besides, I heard bootlegs of songs without vocals.

It's really a vague concept anyway. Most bootlegs I've heard are vocals from popular tracks slapped on other tunes, but it might as well be an unofficial remix. Whatevs.

Moombahton

So recently I fell in love with this new genre of music. It's basically Dutch house slowed down to 108 BPM, with lots of reggaeton influences. Anyone who is familiar with this genre? I believe one of the audio mods made a moombahton tune recently (I think EchozAurora, could be mistaken though).
Reference.

New tune: Yag

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:24:50

At 7/30/11 05:21 PM, Syztm wrote: Reference.

worst thing I've ever heard

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:29:30

Definitely not my taste.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:58:20

It's alright I guess. I mean it's pretty much all the rage (and a lot of what gets played) here in Central Ohio at EDM events. That or it's drumstep and dubstep or electro-house.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 17:59:44

Meh, they better crank that up to 128 BPM again to make it sound a little better. I like Dirty Dutch House, but not like that.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 18:22:57

At 7/30/11 05:21 PM, Syztm wrote: Moombahton

So recently I fell in love with this new genre of music. It's basically Dutch house slowed down to 108 BPM, with lots of reggaeton influences. Anyone who is familiar with this genre? I believe one of the audio mods made a moombahton tune recently (I think EchozAurora, could be mistaken though).
Reference.

It's plausible as a genre. I don't see why people like it though, it just dirty dutch slowed down, I rather listen to the same song 10BPM faster than waiting 3 minutes for a drop, I mean seriously, have you heard some of the songs they have, it's degrading the very core of music.

Yes, EchozAurora made that song btw.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 18:34:33

At 7/30/11 03:11 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 7/30/11 12:54 PM, stratkat wrote: If anyone here listens to the crap I make I could use an ego boost :(
Ego boosts are futile.
Incoming honest opinion. You have a ton of music uploaded in a relatively short period of time, most of it sounds like it was done in just a couple sittings. Mix quality often is weak, or narrow banded, especially with your genre classified dubstep. Bass end is nice, everything else is empty. It makes for a really imbalanced sonic/frequency experience. You have up to a point mostly VG/techno, then dnb, then dubstep. While I havn't done any trend studies on NG, it seems as if you've followed a bit of a progression of doing what is popular on NG, and band wagoning isn't going to make you write better music. A fair bit of your writing doesn't sound like you have a strong handle on theory or composition. If anything, its mostly geared towards making a wobble variable in nature.

My suggestion, spend more time on your songs, and evaluating what is worth uploading. Compare your songs to professional ones that inspire you more, load those songs into your software and look at a parametric EQ to get an idea of some of the differences sonically between your music and the music you want to make. Don't copy other artists. It is a good idea to try things out, or emulate certain aspects, but learn them and use them as your own, not as some skrillex neophyte.

Read some basic theory from wiki, or just google 'writing a song' or 'composition'. You'll find things saying 'for the beginner, pick a scale and stay in it'. Simply using a set scale is a formulaic way of writing your music that will ensure things tend to sound harmonic with one another. You won't have to sit there plotting notes out listening by ear thinking 'Ok is this note good? no... is this one?"

Checking your stuff out now, and in the past hasn't been a horrendous aural experience, it just sounds like you don't take it as seriously as you may think you do.

Noted, thank you:3
dubstep is new to me, music theory isn't, I know scales on hand and stuff, most of my newer techno uses the minor scale, older using the major, I know how to create chords out of scales too, but maybe i need a refresher, I do go with trends a little I'll admit, but I do like what I write for the most part.

I'll try some of your suggestions thanks again^^, especially the one with uploading a track I like and checking it out in paramic eq, thank you:3

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 22:26:02

w0000000000000000 the old Audio Forum Lounge, what's everyone up to guys?

Speed Beast 2 ! <-- If you have a listen..leave a review.

PFTBD's AUDIO

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 22:34:44

At 7/30/11 10:26 PM, preffertobedead wrote: w0000000000000000 the old Audio Forum Lounge, what's everyone up to guys?

hey dude, long time no see

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 22:47:51

I like audio but never posted in the lounge here. What am I supposed to post here in the lounge?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 23:26:59

Also have some audio credentials.

Awards or good audio?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-30 23:37:18

At 7/30/11 11:26 PM, J-Rex wrote: Also have some audio credentials.

Awards or good audio?

I'd ignore that last bit... You don't need audio credentials to post in the lounge, the place is basically for kicking back, no credentials required.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 00:15:47

Posting in the lounge requires you to roll a D6 before doing anything. After that, ask the GM for a saving throw. You'll need it.

quarl BandCamp

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 00:40:17

At 7/30/11 10:26 PM, preffertobedead wrote: w0000000000000000 the old Audio Forum Lounge, what's everyone up to guys?

Hello thar

lel

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 01:37:40

At 7/31/11 01:35 AM, preffertobedead wrote:
Where is SBB and Chronamut and the rest of the people with low IQ i used to fool around with ? haha

SBB is here quite frequently, and Chrons still a post-whore. Nick track by the way. :D

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 03:10:10

At 7/31/11 02:41 AM, EchozAurora wrote: I don't quite understand the "slower is degrading the genre" mentality, aside from that you've probably not heard much good moombahton.

I don't mean to be antagonistic, and I understand it is all subjective, but I havn't actually heard any 'good' moombahton. It just seems like slow minimal, obnoxious stylistically, house where a producer wanted to make a 5 minute song, and instead of writing 5 minutes of content, wrote 4 minutes and lowered the bpm. Then they throw in some raeggae references/samples, a squelching noise or two, and they're set.
Commence bad turn tablism at random intervals and it doesn't sound any different since it already has zippy whir sounds.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 03:25:07

At 7/31/11 03:10 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 7/31/11 02:41 AM, EchozAurora wrote: I don't quite understand the "slower is degrading the genre" mentality, aside from that you've probably not heard much good moombahton.
I don't mean to be antagonistic, and I understand it is all subjective, but I havn't actually heard any 'good' moombahton.

Check out the mix I linked to on my SoundCloud from around the 23 minute part onwards. There are a few tracks that you might not like still in there, but overall it'd give you an idea of some of the "good" moombahton out there to some extent I think.

At 1/16/12 03:08 AM, Xyresic wrote: EchozAurora: The SEXY Audio Mod. (2019 edit lol not anymoar)

Check out soundcloud.com/echozaurora for more recent songs and DJ mixes!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 04:08:47

At 7/31/11 03:25 AM, EchozAurora wrote:
At 7/31/11 03:10 AM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
I don't mean to be antagonistic, and I understand it is all subjective, but I havn't actually heard any 'good' moombahton.
Check out the mix I linked to on my SoundCloud from around the 23 minute part onwards. There are a few tracks that you might not like still in there, but overall it'd give you an idea of some of the "good" moombahton out there to some extent I think.

Will do later. Your track is alright. I can't stand the opening beat though. It makes me think of big sweaty brazillian ass that while on the surface looks 'nice', is infact on the body of a mentally handicapped woman, matched up with some sort of diabolical clown get up jiggling in slow motion causing a severe contrast n thematic contrast of too many themes.

There is something ingrained in me to say the least about the style of beat the genre has.

I'm at least acknowledging it as a style or genre.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 05:55:32

Dubstep with House beats

How do you call that kind of music? I always refer to it as 'Glitch-House' or glitchy House. Apparently it falls under Electro House, but I don't see it like that. It's also not Glitch-Hop because there's no Hip-Hop beat there.
Example of what I mean (listen from 1:18).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 05:58:52

At 7/31/11 05:55 AM, LiquidOoze wrote: Dubstep with House beats

How do you call that kind of music? I always refer to it as 'Glitch-House' or glitchy House. Apparently it falls under Electro House, but I don't see it like that. It's also not Glitch-Hop because there's no Hip-Hop beat there.
Example of what I mean (listen from 1:18).

It's called ravestep I think :/

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 06:03:07

At 7/31/11 01:35 AM, preffertobedead wrote:
The last thing i've done is this, old PFTBD-styled violent DnB in ur face !

Hehe - Misanthrope is always a good title. For anything!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2011-07-31 06:11:54

At 7/31/11 06:04 AM, DJHeat wrote: Linky Dooky UDHDUI

Dude, that song is a fucking KILLER! I don't care which song you based this on, I love it. If You upload it here I'll praise into heaven.
It's not Dubstep though, it's more.... ravestep, as you like to call it (I can't find anything about that genre on Google though, so I'm not sure if it actually exists).

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature