Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 18:48:39 Reply

At 11/26/10 06:42 PM, Mich wrote:
At 11/26/10 06:38 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 11/26/10 06:30 PM, Mich wrote: Your arrogance makes me cringe.
jesus christ i might have to make a site like maddox for people not to emediately cry about every little detail of what i post in a topic designed to be 85% salt and 2% water and another 2% wine.
(the rest penis)
My comment was directed at you claiming that you'd blow zimmer, a renowned succesful composer that makes movign pieces, out of the water when given his gear.

If you were actually that remarkably good, you'd have made it big time already.

I find that those who brag the most about their skills are often those whose skills are laughable, whereas the most modest ones you don't hear are the ones with the true skills, who make fantastic stuff.
Note, I'm not trying to imply anything about myself here, I know that my stuff is pretty mediocre.
And by that note I'm not trying to be ironic or anything, you know what I mean.

Must be why ive been always so modest that ive always made music for games for free, do you even know how many games have my music? Besides, making it big? that is open to so many definitions. To me making it big means i just develope myself the way i want to make my music, to you it probably means making alot of money or something. Since you state hans zimmer is so renowned, id say hans zimmer is just hyped. All about localisation and tendency.

Lastly, i agree with poly.
Now im going to bed irl, bye.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 18:51:02 Reply

At 11/26/10 06:48 PM, Calamaistr wrote: no one will ever cite my music as significant so i'll insist i'm happy with personal growth

be the bigger man dude

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 18:56:23 Reply

At 11/26/10 06:48 PM, Mich wrote: Harmonica

I think we used to have one, I always loved it. Sadly I think we got rid of it because it was infested with saliva and stuff.

It's pretty stupid that we had an awesome instrument before I got so interested in music as I am today.
Anyway, record some stuff with and submit, I'd like to hear that good ol' Harmonica sound again.

Due to my illness and sore throat, i haven't even touched it yet :p
But when i'm better i'll practice a day or 2 (or 3.. or 4.. etc) and then see if i can play something that is worth submitting.

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 19:05:34 Reply

Though I won't deny his impact, I find most of Zimmer's music to be boring.

Does anyone like the modern period at all? Early to mid 20th century stuff? Stravinsky? Webern? Eh? I don't really know any contemporary "classical" composers that make music with such balls.

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 19:10:11 Reply

Maybe I'm nuts, but shit like this sounds awesome to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tQe59D5P zs

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-26 20:09:58 Reply

At 11/26/10 07:58 PM, LaForge wrote: Well I was desperate enough to break the rules, okay? Ban me if you want.

Won't posting in the lounge attract more negative attention than anything?

ps why aren't you in the irc

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 00:21:02 Reply

At 11/26/10 06:39 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote: So much hate, why can't we all just get along and huff Jenkem while watching cheesy horror movies? We're all brothers and sisters of the sound or something right?

Yeaaaa! LOL at Jenkem, wanna make some with me? I'll crap in a jar and send it your way

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 00:38:02 Reply

Only if you mix in some month old cat box litter. Gives it that extra zest.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 00:44:01 Reply

Hey guys, can we plz stop advertising in the lounge lolololol?

audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 00:55:05 Reply

Cool Shit About Counterpoint

So I was randomly reading up on Haydn and I found a book that both he and Mozart learned counterpoint from called Gradus ad Parnassum. I searched for it online and found a really nice translated outline of it.

There's so much more melodic rules then the Schenkerian counterpoint that we are learning in school! But its still fun to read and practice

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 01:12:49 Reply

Yuck... That's the kind of "theory" teaching method that grinds my gears. To hell with rules. The people who write books like this never heard of the phrase "There is no accounting for taste".

Still an interesting document, don't get me wrong.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 01:27:43 Reply

At 11/27/10 01:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote: Yuck... That's the kind of "theory" teaching method that grinds my gears. To hell with rules. The people who write books like this never heard of the phrase "There is no accounting for taste".

Still an interesting document, don't get me wrong.

Yeah I think we went over this, I like learning rules and stuff first, and seeing what I can do with that, then incorporating it into my own out-of-context ideas

djInTheDark
djInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 01:43:05 Reply

Harmonicas

Harmonicas are like hookers. The sound really nice when you use them right, but you never know who's been slobbering all over them.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.
Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature
CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 01:57:39 Reply

Sure, composing by rules can help you learn music. If there is any one method that I think is useful for learning music, it would be the 12-tone serial method. It's great for learning intervals, and it's great for helping one gain a better understanding of harmony. It also forces you to concentrate more on the rhythm of a piece.

It is a learning method. Most of the "how to compose" type theory books establish all these rules, because they teach learning methods, not how to compose. All these methods are trying to teach the same thing.. the relationship between notes. The problem is, the older methods take a lot of the self learning and experimentation out by making certain combinations of notes taboo.

Course, learning by the serial method does not mean that all the shit you make after that is going to be atonal beepity boop stuff. It just helps give you a larger musical vocabulary. You can make music that is completely tonal, but elements of the more complex(or to be less pretentious, unorthodox) harmonies that you know will creep in.

Either way, there comes a point where you have to break away from the method or discipline, and start composing from the soul, where it just comes out naturally and without much though.. You have to reach a point to where composition comes from the subconscious.

Then again, I could just be getting overly romantic and pretentious about it. Don't mind me, I'm just a crazy drunken fool who couldn't compose his way out of a paper bag.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 02:24:39 Reply

good morning, (some of) you guys can ridiculise me all you want im just being honest here.
(only 20% cause the other 80% is being silly cause let me once more remind you this is the lounge, and if suit wearing people like yourselves can all talk about deepthroating fat penisses in this topic then i dont see the problem)

Hans zimmer might have made some half decent music here and there, he and copycats like danny elfman simply currently make uninspired widely bombastic ambience, i cant even call it music anymore.
Music is melodic, what these guys make is just the rolling of toms and trumpets with some extremely bland strings playing through it, really.

Perhaps orchestral is 'the thing' in hot topic atm and some of you are sitting there with hans zimmer coffeemugs and tshirt saying hans zimmer made your wife pregnant.

This guy is a bad composer.

Maybe he took drugs alot, after making the lion king.

I did after i saw it.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 02:29:25 Reply

Hans Zimmer is like the smooth jazz of classical music.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 02:32:19 Reply

At 11/27/10 02:29 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote: Hans Zimmer is like the smooth jazz of classical music.

ehm, no.

You know jazz is pretty cool right?

Hans zimmer aint cool.

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 02:36:02 Reply

I love Jazz.

I fucking hate smooth jazz.

At least, the stuff they play on the radio in Chicago and call "Smooth Jazz". Makes me want to put scissors through my eyeballs.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 04:02:44 Reply

At 11/27/10 02:36 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote: I love Jazz.

I fucking hate smooth jazz.

At least, the stuff they play on the radio in Chicago and call "Smooth Jazz". Makes me want to put scissors through my eyeballs.

Do you mean the kind of jazz in wich they just play random notes? if so then i could agree with you comparing it to zimmer.

(not saying zimmer plays random notes, but he might aswell)
Anyway i dont even care about the anti calamaistr air in this topic, and editting my quotes to attempt 'hilareousses' is rather juvenile. BUT IT HAS TO BE SAID THAT HANS ZIMMER IS A SHIT.

Also, lets now talk about the combination of moustaches and singing. (especially barber shop quartets)

In my opinion the quality of singing is amplified by the existance of moustache.

For instance, if you had someone without a moustache singing he looks like a girl (for instance: Fred durst) (oh ok hes not actually singing more like acting like a cool kid rapping) (dont judge me that im in the 90s now) (im not in the 90s btw)

Now compare him to the image of Mike haggar doing a high C whilst ramming some random american punk into the ground with a piledriver.

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 05:14:59 Reply

At 11/27/10 02:24 AM, Calamaistr wrote: hans zimmer made your wife pregnant.

Hans Zimmer fucked my wife and all i got was this lousy baby.

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 05:17:35 Reply

At 11/27/10 05:14 AM, FairSquare wrote:
At 11/27/10 02:24 AM, Calamaistr wrote: hans zimmer made your wife pregnant.
Hans Zimmer fucked my wife and all i got was this lousy baby.

And the pic has been forgotten

The Audio Forum Lounge

BBS Signature
loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 06:55:10 Reply

At 11/27/10 04:02 AM, Calamaistr wrote: i'm so insecure that i i have to rail on hans zimmer over and over again because if someone knew that he was a better composer than me i might just die

jesus dude, we get it. you don't like the man's work. are you capable of making a single post without talking about it?

fuck
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 09:31:23 Reply

12 tone serial method? Is that the schoenberg stuff? I'll definitely be getting to that next year in my theory courses

Hans Zimmer - As far as I can tell never even went to school for music, but music scoring is just a more emotional based version of mainstream popular music anyways, so what can you expect? I don't expect to be WOWd by greenday anymore then Hans Zimmer, and so I don't judge

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 09:39:11 Reply

Hans Zimmer
I love when a crappy singer rant about Elvis and say "he had no talent and no voice", I love when crappy piano players say "Chick Corea is shit, only people who don't know the real jazz can listen to his music" and so on. Those people talk more about themselves, about their insecurity and lack of understanding of music, harmony, orchestration and values generally speaking.

Even if one of the great names isn't "your cup of tea" you can't say it's shit... well, you can if you don't understand music. If you do understand music, then you can say "despite of the spectacular orchestration and the very effective way of using brass and percussion, despite of the very melodic themes and the variational treatment and complex rhythmic and melodic material, I don't like it because |________insert reason why_______|".

Reminds me of the author of this opera who said that F.Chopin is shit.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 09:50:44 Reply

Calamaistr needs a time out.

lel

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 10:06:22 Reply

Calamaistr, is there anything you don't hate?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 11:04:52 Reply

At 11/27/10 09:50 AM, Sequenced wrote: Calamaistr needs a time out.

Pretty subjective there. I'm just as annoyed by talk of penis and buttsex as you are of him complaining about stuff, so you might aswell BAN TEH HOEL AUDIO FRUOMSZ LOL

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 11:14:31 Reply

At 11/27/10 01:43 AM, djInTheDark wrote: Harmonicas

Harmonicas are like hookers. The sound really nice when you use them right, but you never know who's been slobbering all over them.

Nah, my harmonica is like a girlfriend. I am the only one who gets to slobber all over her :3

Unless she cheats on me >:-(

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 11:20:17 Reply

At 11/27/10 09:39 AM, sorohanro wrote: Hans Zimmer
I love when a crappy singer rant about Elvis and say "he had no talent and no voice", I love when crappy piano players say "Chick Corea is shit, only people who don't know the real jazz can listen to his music" and so on. Those people talk more about themselves, about their insecurity and lack of understanding of music, harmony, orchestration and values generally speaking.

Even if one of the great names isn't "your cup of tea" you can't say it's shit... well, you can if you don't understand music. If you do understand music, then you can say "despite of the spectacular orchestration and the very effective way of using brass and percussion, despite of the very melodic themes and the variational treatment and complex rhythmic and melodic material, I don't like it because |________insert reason why_______|".

Reminds me of the author of this opera who said that F.Chopin is shit.

Well sorry sorohanro but i must greatly disagree with you about the above.
Its not my opinion or preference its a synopsis, an abstract based on .. well lets just call it the math of music.
Hans zimmer 'does nót' make 'very melodic themes' like you proclaim nor are his rythms complex.
He mightve done so in the lion king, the absolute majority of his work is exactly like i have said; uninspired, widely copied over and over again (same as earlier works) and stupifyingly bland.

I GET IT that he is popular, i understand that, but being popular does not mean you make brilliant music, even the kings of the midages were average fuckups.

Nowhere i said that i am a fantastic composer myself, but i 'know of myself that would i have the same materials that zimmer bakes his pots with, i would definately make better works than him, i dont give a flying shit if people think thats arrogant or inflated I <--- know it is so.

Ive got plenty of works i can compare with zimmers movie featured scores (not on this site cause the instrumental quality is really horrible, made on console and all) that already are on all fronts much better.

and yes i also know how people cant see orchestral and movies appart anymore and orchestral now has become the only kind of classical 'most' young people actually know of and if you get breastfed blockbuster that close to ALWAYS contains the same 'tension' type of blockbuster music either made by danny elfman, hans zimmer or some copycat of either then i understand that people think his music is fantastic because its all they know. You should know better of all people, you yourself áre familiar with ratio as far as i know and should be well aware that the conventional is of pretty bad quality.

Perhaps i am an elitist i dont care, this is the way i think.
I dont feel like repeating myself to be honest cause before this post i was very lighthearted half of what i said was greatly exagerated anyway, the way people are mocking me like i was serious or something is just sad, but to you i do think its worth a serious reply.

Yes i do genuinely think hans zimmer is a bad composer compared to the crop, thats not why i posted about him though, im just poking around and having some fun in this topic like i thought was the whole idea, since im not 12 and feel the need to talk about penis the whole time, a thing others in here do. Some people here act like im some whiny brat trying to religiously convince everyone of i have no idea what all, while i was under the impression that lighthearted pokes were just the thing this topic was about.

Must be my mistake again, look at me im such a asshole completely interrupting conversation about penis, or actually existing on this forum to begin with, it would be much better without calamaistr.
In fact calamaistr should just get erased from the whole NG site so his never reviewed music wich is laughable and totally inferior to hans zimmer can be just the same as it is now, never heard of again.

p.s. the thread mood is what my cat would look like if i had one.

CosmicAlfonzo
CosmicAlfonzo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2010-11-27 11:20:19 Reply

Calamaistr actually makes some good music. If he thinks deep down that his music is the shit du jur, let him. If someone wants to present their music in a way that you consider to be arrogant, let them. In the end, listen to the music.

Don't let the author's opinion of what they are doing make you bias. I know at least more than a few of you will make something every so often, and think it is the greatest thing in the world. Art is like your baby, you know?

Anyway, <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FS9mMjdl Q-s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FS9mMjdlQ-
s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>">this is the type of "smooth jazz" I'm talking about.
I don't really care if the notes in a piece are random if they sound good... Listening to this kind of stuff makes me want to do extremely violent things.

I can totally get into this kind of stuff.