• 36,915 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-06 06:26:07 (edited 2017-02-06 06:28:57) Reply

At 2/6/17 04:02 AM, Mich wrote:
At 2/4/17 12:17 PM, Ultramartyr wrote: on that note, @Mich is there any chance of just putting the really simple, frequently broken rules right at the top of the forum, like as the title of a sticky or a banner?
Unfortunately forum moderators can't actually sticky threads on NG. I don't know if people would read the rules more if they were in a sticky thread than if they are a button right next to "create new topic" though.

lemme clarify, i meant put the actual rules on the main page of the audio forum, not a link to them. like have a sticky with the title "This is how you advertise audio", etc. it seems more direct than "Read the rules!", even though that is pretty direct. just spitballing. it could be the case that nothing will work.

although upon a further minute of reflection, the audio adverts thread is always pretty fresh and high up the forum anyway. meh. maybe a popup when you click the create topic button? idklol

It doesn't sound good, but it sounds better than it used to.

BBS Signature
EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-06 21:49:13 Reply

In my experience people just pop in and drop shit in the first thread that catches their eye. I don't know what would work, if anything. I've just resigned myself to point people in the right direction time and time again. First timers often have no idea what to look for when they dive into our community anyway. @Ultramartyr @Mich

Don't click my sig. You might make more money than me, and I make money in my sleep.
User Resources: Audio Flagging Guide, Free VSTs!

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-07 04:31:43 Reply

At 2/6/17 09:49 PM, EDM364 wrote: In my experience people just pop in and drop shit in the first thread that catches their eye. I don't know what would work, if anything. I've just resigned myself to point people in the right direction time and time again. First timers often have no idea what to look for when they dive into our community anyway. @Ultramartyr @Mich

Yeah I think that's just the best you can do; this stuff happens on all forums out there. In any case, it's not like some new comers posting in the wrong place ruins the forum or anything.

SnowTeddy
SnowTeddy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-07 21:33:31 (edited 2017-02-07 21:34:17) Reply

At 2/6/17 09:49 PM, EDM364 wrote: In my experience people just pop in and drop shit in the first thread that catches their eye. I don't know what would work, if anything. I've just resigned myself to point people in the right direction time and time again. First timers often have no idea what to look for when they dive into our community anyway. @Ultramartyr @Mich

i think no matter how big you put the rules, there will always have some people who are inclined to break it, so they could advertise their stuff, even if their track worth a single view/download/vote/review.

edit, why not banhammer them?

I have no one style.
- Oscar Peterson

Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-08 03:30:53 Reply

At 2/7/17 09:33 PM, SnowTeddy wrote:
i think no matter how big you put the rules, there will always have some people who are inclined to break it, so they could advertise their stuff, even if their track worth a single view/download/vote/review.

edit, why not banhammer them?

banning them would be counter productive. we don't want to scare off a new user and that would probably do it. the only reason i brought all this up is i figured there had to be a better way to get rules across to new users so there aren't 2 or 3 misplaced threads/posts every day.

BBS Signature
EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-02-08 22:15:31 Reply

At 2/8/17 03:30 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: banning them would be counter productive. we don't want to scare off a new user and that would probably do it. the only reason i brought all this up is i figured there had to be a better way to get rules across to new users so there aren't 2 or 3 misplaced threads/posts every day.

Right. It gets old, but as @Mich pointed out, it's not "ruining the forum" for everyone. At best, you might actually start some discussion. At worst, they just drop their shit and never come back.

On another note, I'm looking into upgrading my laptop's RAM. I'm getting to the point in my projects that 4 GB on a Lenovo T410 is just not enough to sustain a 6.5 minute project with some 30 tracks and hundreds of FX total. Looking for 2 4 GB SODIMMs of DDR3 as cheap as possible (since I'm virtually broke). Everything I can find seems to be upwards of 30 dollars per stick though, sadly.

Don't click my sig. You might make more money than me, and I make money in my sleep.

BBS Signature
Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-02 22:06:25 Reply

Finally found the lounge on the third page. Geez it's like everybody got jobs and kids and stuff to do now days or sumthin'.

Anyway Ned Luberecki is releasing an album with a remake of Girl From Ipanema on it. read about it here

I heard it on the bluegrass station on siriusXM on my way home from worship team practice and was tickled that bossa nova was being played with bluegrass instruments. Can't find it on Youtube yet, though.

Click my sig for a free downtempo EP
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
B16
B16
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-12 23:20:33 Reply

Daylight savings time started for us in Canada today. Damn we lost an hour of sleep. Well so it goes..

How is eveyone else doing?

Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-13 02:18:36 Reply

At 3/12/17 11:20 PM, B16 wrote: Daylight savings time started for us in Canada today. Damn we lost an hour of sleep. Well so it goes..

i'm in Michigan, Murica and ours was yesterday. i work third shift and the clocks changed over at 2am, so we worked one less hour that day. perks of being a night owl.

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-13 04:27:04 Reply

At 3/12/17 11:20 PM, B16 wrote: Daylight savings time started for us in Canada today. Damn we lost an hour of sleep. Well so it goes..

Decent, spent way too much time playing Zelda this weekend. Beautiful game though.

I'm in UK but our work meetings are on US time, so until the UK catches up with summer time later this month, our daily "standups" are an hour early for me.

Other than that, starting driving lessons this week, I'm looking forward to it. I had driving lessons back in Belgium in 2011 but never passed my test. I'm only now getting around to getting on the road again.

At 3/13/17 02:18 AM, Ultramartyr wrote: i'm in Michigan, Murica and ours was yesterday. i work third shift and the clocks changed over at 2am, so we worked one less hour that day. perks of being a night owl.

Ha, sweet deal there.

Knoxius
Knoxius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-13 12:52:20 Reply

At 3/13/17 04:27 AM, Mich wrote: Other than that, starting driving lessons this week, I'm looking forward to it. I had driving lessons back in Belgium in 2011 but never passed my test. I'm only now getting around to getting on the road again.

fuck time, that was 6 years ago?

TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-19 23:05:11 Reply

i've been a little more active on the audio forum again recently.
haven't been here for a while. the nostalgia!

it seems a little quieter than how i remember it, how do you guys feel about how the audio portal community is now?

EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-19 23:18:15 Reply

At 3/19/17 11:05 PM, TheAudioGuy wrote: it seems a little quieter than how i remember it, how do you guys feel about how the audio portal community is now?

Myself? I feel a lot of the quiet has to do with the rampant abuse of the portal by ignorant GD players uploading whatever stolen shit they want, scouting their alt-accounts, etc. A lot of it is under control now but it certainly whacked us in the ass for a good 2-3 years, 90% of which RobTop did nothing major to counteract. We have a lot of people who don't give two shits about our community using it like a fucking Google Drive, and our forums as a self plug. It's not as if these are the NG AP community's only issues, and we certainly aren't dead; I just see less people on the forums and more people self plugging in their news posts. Who knows. Maybe we aren't welcoming enough.

BBS Signature
TheAudioGuy
TheAudioGuy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-27 23:27:14 Reply

i'm honestly not too surprised with this outcome :(

When i used newgrounds years ago i never felt like the newgrounds team really cared that much about the audio community here. I imagine mainly because i don't think many people come here for music.

EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-28 09:28:55 Reply

At 3/27/17 11:27 PM, TheAudioGuy wrote: When i used newgrounds years ago i never felt like the newgrounds team really cared that much about the audio community here.

I wouldn't really say they don't care. There's a lot of work behind the scenes to keep the AP up to date, and then you've got the mods, who more than care about the AP and Audio community. It's more the general userbase that seems to have slacked off a bit. We don't see as many newcomers. Part of that might be because as things stand now, the AP is bombarded with geometry dash spam. I wish that game had never existed, honestly. Makes sifting through songs living hell.

BBS Signature
Daydream-Anatomy
Daydream-Anatomy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2017-03-28 13:15:02 Reply

Handing out around 50 of my midi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEMWsPl3Yo

check the vid description for download links.