Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-22 03:54:25 Reply

At 11/21/16 06:27 PM, EDM364 wrote:
At 11/21/16 06:11 AM, Mich wrote: Really awesome shit
That last one reminds me of a dial tone. I'm tempted to ask if I can sample any of this in songs -- and of course credit. That last one is ear candy.

By all means, go right ahead!

EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-22 05:13:57 Reply

At 11/22/16 03:54 AM, Mich wrote: By all means, go right ahead!

Oh sweet. I've been in need of some wacky intro SFX for, well, forever.

You have any more plans to add onto your synth tower of doom?

Free Reviews and VSTs
Music YouTube Twitter
Formerly Andrea364 <3

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-22 05:21:48 Reply

At 11/22/16 05:13 AM, EDM364 wrote:
At 11/22/16 03:54 AM, Mich wrote: By all means, go right ahead!
Oh sweet. I've been in need of some wacky intro SFX for, well, forever.

You have any more plans to add onto your synth tower of doom?

Oh yeah plenty. Currently I'm working on an ADSR envelope generator. I also want to make a dedicated LFO with fade, a decent noise generator, a sample and hold, reverb (I've got a spring reverb tank laying around that I saved from the dump), and perhaps a tape delay. I also think I might try different oscillator and filter designs at one point.

EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-22 08:59:47 Reply

At 11/22/16 05:21 AM, Mich wrote: Oh yeah plenty. Currently I'm working on an ADSR envelope generator. I also want to make a dedicated LFO with fade, a decent noise generator, a sample and hold, reverb (I've got a spring reverb tank laying around that I saved from the dump), and perhaps a tape delay. I also think I might try different oscillator and filter designs at one point.

I won't lie, my knowledge of analog terminology is pretty ... lacking. Had to brush up on ASDR acronym for a quick second. But I do love to fool around with analogs when I can (unfortunately, lack of money gets in the way of that). Being able to physically touch a giant panel of knobs rather than drag a cursor or fiddle with a tiny panel connected to my PC via USB -- that retro feel, smell of dust and circuitry if the components are super old, there's something that's just nice about that. Not to mention, if you built it with your own two hands, it doesn't take up a gigabyte of your HDD or require oodles of RAM trying to emulate. It's one of the cases I feel hardware is superior to software -- well aside from not being quite so portable. It could just be that I really liked that old Korg I became acquainted with as a kid though. Bias is bias, haha.

Be sure and mention me next update on that. I find this stuff immeasurably cool. :D

Free Reviews and VSTs
Music YouTube Twitter
Formerly Andrea364 <3

BBS Signature
MaxPoly
MaxPoly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-25 12:44:35 Reply

Anybody have experience with the Native Access downloader thing? I just bought the strings library and my internet always disconnects before the 31 GB download finishes, and it doesn't know how to pick up where it left off. It just throws an error at me and I have to start all over. I can't download the library directly from the website, they only offer the essential version of the library (to which my key doesn't even work).

Rahmemhotep
Rahmemhotep
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-30 14:58:25 Reply

Any of you guys have a ton of instrumentals just kind of layin' around?

Click my sig for a free downtempo EP
Best Thread Ever

BBS Signature
Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-30 16:19:42 Reply

Picked up in the Black Friday sale the AKG K240 to do some rough mixing in for super-late night sessions when everyone is sleeping.
I'll re-evaluate these after I've given them around 50 hours to burn in, but so far I'm pretty disappointed. Somewhat deep but muddy bass, everything sounds far away like it's on an oversized stageset and it sounds like it's struggling to handle detailing on the high's so far. Not expecting anything amazing for it's budget price-point, but I've heard better things from similar or even slightly cheaper headphones before.

|| Electro-Industrial Musician || Power Fry Vocalist || RIP 3500-Posts || Signing Up To Mail Lists So You Don't Have To ||

EDM364
EDM364
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-11-30 17:11:50 Reply

At 11/30/16 04:19 PM, Lich wrote: Headphones

Hmm. So essentially, not that great for the price point, or depending on what you're intending to mix. Question, if those aren't much good, what headphones do you recommend most highly? Price-point? I'm looking to work up enough money to get some proper gear.

I would be stoked if anyone else had recommendations for:
A good laptop for mixing
- doesn't necessarily have to be small or light, preferably no Apple products -- the laptop one I have is a budgety Lenovo T410 (got it for $440 as an emergency buy) that I hate because it only has a headset jack, not a headphone and mic jack, and my mixing headphones are rather cheap as well (have a headset on them, meaning I can't live record ANYTHING conveniently)
Good mic for recording vocals/acoustic guitar - can have any kind of jack on it; I have tons of adapters. Just looking for something with good quality for the price, and not more than $200 dollars preferably. I'm going to be working a while as is. One I was eying was the cheapy Behringer C-1. All I have is the stereo room mics built into my PC and they pick up case noise. I'm not turning off my fan while I mix music. That seems like a bad idea.
Any kind of USB adapters that may eliminate my problem of needing a computer with multiple jacks - The laptop I have is blessed with all manner of USB ports.
Any accessories for an electric guitar, including VSTs - distortion pedals, w/e, it'd be nice not to rely on a grotey electronic amp with fiddly knobs.
Any other stuff you personally find a necessity, physical or digital - I've got a long time to think about purchases and what I necessarily want, so feel free to go nuts here.

I know it's a huge list, but don't feel like you have to give a long or necessarily detailed answer, or even an answer at all. A name or something will do. If you're super enthused about the product though, that'll tell me a lot about the quality.

Anyway, I'm gonna run to the store for a bit. Hopefully anything you guys come up with will point me in a direction toward making music production less convenient than it is currently. Thanks in advance!

Free Reviews and VSTs
Music YouTube Twitter
Formerly Andrea364 <3

BBS Signature
Ultramartyr
Ultramartyr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2016-12-07 03:54:24 Reply

EDM364

a POD UX1 can solve two of your problems, USB interface and guitar accessories. it has a mic jack and bunch of 1/4" ins and outs, both stereo and mono. it also comes with POD Farm, which is essentially every effect and distortion you will ever need, all rolled into an easy-to-use interface. cab simulation and amp simulation, a suite of effects and mods, it has it all. and sounds fantastic. check out some youtube demos to get an idea of the sounds you can get out of it.

It doesn't sound good, but it sounds better than it used to.

BBS Signature