Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-14 05:35:37 Reply

At 3/12/14 06:35 AM, Calamaistr wrote: Kinda audio coverage related question;

How well tagged is 'cinematic' exactly?
Seeing as i make a score/soundtrack atm and its the best genre to put it under..
However compared to previous uploads that i tagged with like videogame or classical, i get pretty much 0 coverage all of a sudden on this.

How does this thing even work, do people click a genre and then get taken to new music? Did i thus make a mistake tagging it cinematic even though it is the correct tag as its perhaps not a popular tag search?

Was wondering if i should retag it all.
-
thanks for comments in advance.

Cinematic was a new genre introduced to fix the whole problem of film-soundtrack-esque music being placed under Classical among the more authentic classical-era-inspired works of music. I'm not quite sure why you're not getting as much exposure in the Cinematic section because I personally haven't noticed much difference in exposure ever since Cinematic came out and I started putting my tracks under that listing.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-14 05:52:26 Reply

At 3/14/14 05:35 AM, Step wrote:

Seeing as i make a score/soundtrack atm and its the best genre to put it under..
However compared to previous uploads that i tagged with like videogame or classical, i get pretty much 0 coverage all of a sudden on this.

How does this thing even work, do people click a genre and then get taken to new music? Did i thus make a mistake tagging it cinematic even though it is the correct tag as its perhaps not a popular tag search?

Was wondering if i should retag it all.
-
thanks for comments in advance.
Cinematic was a new genre introduced to fix the whole problem of film-soundtrack-esque music being placed under Classical among the more authentic classical-era-inspired works of music. I'm not quite sure why you're not getting as much exposure in the Cinematic section because I personally haven't noticed much difference in exposure ever since Cinematic came out and I started putting my tracks under that listing.

I don't think the majority of views come from the genre listings honestly, I get a hell of a lot more traffic just putting a link my newspost than I ever did from getting on the first page of any given genre listing.
Hell, I've gotten more from just posting in the audio ad thread.

Maybe if you're just starting out, you'd get more views from the genre listing, but in my experience, once you pass a certain threshold of fans, the vast majority of your views will come from them and you sharing it around than it will from the genre listing, or even the front page (I get more views from my newspost than I do from front page spots, total truth).

Audio/BBS Mod News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira \/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-14 20:04:40 Reply

man I feel like I crushed a guys dreams in a review and I'm not sure whether to feel bad or angry that hes totally missed the point of a review

Witch
Witch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-14 21:05:25 Reply

At 3/14/14 08:04 PM, AeroMusic wrote: man I feel like I crushed a guys dreams in a review and I'm not sure whether to feel bad or angry that hes totally missed the point of a review

If people get offended over a single stranger's opinion of their creative work, it's their own problem. He uploaded it to NG with the understanding that it could get bad reception, so he has no right to be immature about it. Being nice in your review for the sake of niceness has no value to the artist, in fact I would say it has a negative effect.

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-15 16:03:06 Reply

At 3/14/14 09:05 PM, Earthmover wrote:
At 3/14/14 08:04 PM, AeroMusic wrote: man I feel like I crushed a guys dreams in a review and I'm not sure whether to feel bad or angry that hes totally missed the point of a review
If people get offended over a single stranger's opinion of their creative work, it's their own problem. He uploaded it to NG with the understanding that it could get bad reception, so he has no right to be immature about it. Being nice in your review for the sake of niceness has no value to the artist, in fact I would say it has a negative effect.

While that's true, reviews that completely break the work apart can have the effect of the artists giving up before they actually get the chance to develop their skill. It's important to give advice in reviews, rather than just stating what's wrong with it.

I think a healthy structure for critical reviews is: Pointing out what could be improved, and providing tips/howto's from person experience on those particular points, then adding a few parts of it that you did enjoy and thought were good.

You can also start with the good points before going into the criticism and advice, but the important part is that both are included, ensuring the artist doesn't get dispirited by a barrage of negative feedback.

I agree that staying motivated is the creator's own challenge, but as reviewers (who after all did not put in all the hard work), we can contribute a little bit by showing some love, and recognizing the (sometimes well hidden) potential.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-15 16:41:42 Reply

More Controllerismz!

So, I've recently undertaken the task for learning to play M4SONIC's "Virus" on my launchpad, I found a single launchpad version of the project file, and holy shit is it ever fun to play.

... Hard as fuck... but fun. I can almost play the entire right hand part, but soon as I try introduce the left hand (Drums, vocals, risers), it all just goes to hell. Syncopated rhythms are a pain in the ass, the right hand rhythm doesn't always match up with the left hand rhythm, and it's throwing me off completely.

You'd think holding a standard 4 to the floor drum pattern would be simple.

For reference sake, this is the original song, and this is where I found the solo launchpad version.

Audio/BBS Mod News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira \/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
FaeryTaleAdventurer
FaeryTaleAdventurer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-15 23:20:07 Reply

That's a great question, Calamaistr. I shared one of my most recent tracks with that tag, and have just come to the conclusion that cinematic, well at least these days isn't (and thus shouldn't) really 100% associated with just orchestral performances. Like the evolution of [video] game music, cinematic music has become very broad in scope, though in the end it's how the genre of music (rock, classical, pop, hip-hop, etc.) is implemented/created that breathes life into the movie (or game).

Yes, cinema and game music today are practically hand in hand in going beyond sounding like just Bach or Super Mario Bros. Overall, it's good that Newgrounds offers many genre tags for our music to fall into, though ones like cinematic and video game are virtually the same (it's simply just how the listener would interpret how your song would fit one of these tags that makes all the difference.).

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 03:55:25 Reply

I'm finally back. Did I miss anything important in the past month or so?

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 03:58:19 Reply

At 3/18/14 03:55 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: I'm finally back. Did I miss anything important in the past month or so?

I blew up the planet and recreated it in my own image.

It's no big deal though.

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 07:01:16 Reply

At 3/18/14 03:58 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: I blew up the planet and recreated it in my own image.

It's no big deal though.

Purgy, I asked for recent news around NG. Not your weekly schedule.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 09:07:23 Reply

Sorry for the double post but I got a quick question for those who took formal education for music technology or it's equivalent:

What do you learn, and is it worth getting a diploma for it?

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 12:45:26 Reply

best feeling in the world

having clean shits without needing tp for three days

lel

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 13:06:02 Reply

At 3/18/14 03:58 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 3/18/14 03:55 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote: I'm finally back. Did I miss anything important in the past month or so?

It's no big deal though.

Apparently not, I don't see a difference.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-18 14:37:00 Reply

At 3/18/14 01:06 PM, LiquidOoze wrote:
At 3/18/14 03:58 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:

It's no big deal though.
Apparently not, I don't see a difference.

All part of the plan...

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-20 11:15:02 Reply

i feel like if i make anymore 8bit music i will go insane

lel

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-20 18:05:07 Reply

I just realized that I lost my virginity exactly 1 year after I made out with a girl for the first time. I want a medal.

no it wasn't with the same girl

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-20 23:55:40 Reply

Okay, I need advice again because I'm legally an adult and that I'm stupid.
How do you control your (short-term) spending? I'm spending my money like water going through cupped hands.

AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-21 00:04:14 Reply

At 3/20/14 11:55 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Okay, I need advice again because I'm legally an adult and that I'm stupid.
How do you control your (short-term) spending? I'm spending my money like water going through cupped hands.

what I usually do is keep my money in a different bank account to my card and transfer some over when I need it - helps not letting you just carry on spending :P are you a student? if you can get a student overdraft
other than that its always good to get a part time job doing something mundane

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-21 02:13:29 Reply

At 3/20/14 11:55 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote: Okay, I need advice again because I'm legally an adult and that I'm stupid.

Give it all to Purgy...

I'll be sure to protect it.

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-21 02:53:23 Reply

At 3/21/14 02:13 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Give it all to Purgy...

I'll be sure to protect it.

I'll do that when I get my first pay check.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-21 02:57:42 Reply

At 3/21/14 12:04 AM, AeroMusic wrote: what I usually do is keep my money in a different bank account to my card and transfer some over when I need it - helps not letting you just carry on spending :P are you a student? if you can get a student overdraft
other than that its always good to get a part time job doing something mundane

I'm not a student...yet.
If the manager doesn't think I'm a piece of shit, then I might get a job...which also requires me to make another bank account. I'll keep your advice in mind.

god dammit i forgot how to quote 2 posts
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-21 10:04:30 Reply

At 3/14/14 05:35 AM, Step wrote: Cinematic was a new genre introduced to fix the whole problem of film-soundtrack-esque music being placed under Classical among the more authentic classical-era-inspired works of music. I'm not quite sure why you're not getting as much exposure in the Cinematic section because I personally haven't noticed much difference in exposure ever since Cinematic came out and I started putting my tracks under that listing.

Well i give up then cause i had literally no reviews for a long time now on any uploads that i tagged cinematic.
Its just completely died down. I guess ill change the tags and see how it helps.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-24 15:07:01 Reply

Help Breed Pick a New Guitar

Alright guys, so I'm getting a new acoustic for le studio. My budget is 1300. I'm looking at Taylors and Martins mainly. Martin seems to be more my shin dig. My preferences are a warmer sounding guitar, preferably solid wood, made in the USA. I also prefer the tighter bodies like the 000 stuff, so lets avoid suggesting dreads.

So far it seems everything I can find within my budget thats readily available has at least 1 downside. The 000RSGT seems really nice, but its made in mexico. The D1GT is also an option, but its a dreadnought.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

camoshark
camoshark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-24 18:14:16 Reply

At 3/24/14 03:07 PM, Breed wrote: Help Breed Pick a New Guitar

Alright guys, so I'm getting a new acoustic for le studio. My budget is 1300. I'm looking at Taylors and Martins mainly. Martin seems to be more my shin dig. My preferences are a warmer sounding guitar, preferably solid wood, made in the USA. I also prefer the tighter bodies like the 000 stuff, so lets avoid suggesting dreads.

So far it seems everything I can find within my budget thats readily available has at least 1 downside. The 000RSGT seems really nice, but its made in mexico. The D1GT is also an option, but its a dreadnought.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Why would the place of production be a factor in all of this? I know that certain companies like Fender have a reputation of having variances in quality depending on where it was made, but that isn't true for all companies. I would actually have proposed to take a look at a Japanese company called Aria,, who make pretty decent guitars around the 1k$ range. Can't give any specific recommendations, as this was mostly from my roommate's experience.

That's unfortunately all I can really say, I have very little experience other than vicariously through my roommate for guitar, so whatever. :v

Best of luck searching though!

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-24 18:18:22 Reply

At 3/24/14 03:07 PM, Breed wrote: Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'm not huge into guitar specifics, but I have a really nice Art & Lutherie acoustic that I got fairly cheap. Sounds beautiful: warm and deep. It is Canadian made though so doesn't fit your preference.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-24 18:23:21 Reply

hi

i don't play guitar much and i don't know what these chords im playing are. all of this done by ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AjLyl8LP0YA

can someone tell me so that i can write them into a full track?

thx a bunch i give u cookies later<3

lel

johnfn
johnfn
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-24 21:26:35 Reply

At 3/24/14 06:23 PM, Sequenced wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AjLyl8LP0YA

I watched the first minute or so and got what sounds like E major -> e minor -> D -> major -> C major. I also heard you do Amaj -> Emin once. You also add 4ths onto the chords sometimes.

The dire dire docks progression!

This is a really fun progression though. I think there's more but I need to go work on some music right now.

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-25 13:52:40 Reply

Oh, hey there.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-26 17:23:06 Reply

At 3/25/14 01:52 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: Oh, hey there.

'sup, fellow 4-stringer.
I have a (part-time) job now. WOW RESPONSIBILITIES

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2014-03-26 19:12:16 Reply

Dammit @Sequenced.

Make up your fucking mind already, or should I call you Alasky?