New Topic Respond to this Topic
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-21 16:45:30 Reply

Also, apologies for the double post but...

Playing a jazz piece on the piano

It usually goes like this:

*Plays one of the chords*
"No wait that can't be right. It sounds too dissonant."
"Aha, made a mistake."
*Plays chord without the mistake*
*Chord sounds even more dissonant*
x_x

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-21 17:36:13 Reply

At 7/21/13 02:07 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote: This is good, I should probably check back there. I found some pretty sweet IDM, Deep house and tribaly-psy there. My biggest problem with the site (and some of the music) is this painfully ugly-raveresque-90's look and feel it had. If it was cleaned up / more professional looking it would probably be a way bigger site.

I actually really dig the style at the moment. The creator has mentioned in several private and public conversations that he is looking forward to a redesign, which will be made possible thanks to a large fundraiser back in 2012. Currently, the site needs a forum / community to hold everything together. It could also use a larger staff. There are only a couple of guys running the show there. I feel it has the potential to become the largest psychedelic trance website, since it practically already is. They have a very large handful of genres, including Darkpsy, Tribal, Ambient, Psycore, Progressive, and Glitch.

I have become passionate for the psy scene over these past two years while Djing, the crowds move to the music as the music moves with the crowds. The energy is truly phenomenal to witness and I feel compelled to become a large part of it. This is why I feel writing a book on the subject will be an excellent journey for me, and hopefully an aid in others musical / cultural expeditions.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-21 17:43:14 Reply

Kinda shitting my pants, because I am enrolling into uni this year. I thought doing the exams was going to be the worst part, but man was I wrong. I have given the documents to the universities I want to enter, and now I have to simply wait, just wait. In the beginning of August I will be able to view the lists of accepted people and see if I've made it.

The suspense is killing me, man.

Similarly, I am waiting to see if I got a raise... and I have to wait for three months.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-21 18:20:44 Reply

At 7/21/13 05:43 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Psy-trance/dance/psybient

Maybe just preference, but it seems more danceable then a lot of electro/dance/north american dance. The only way I can envision dancing to much north american dance/edm is like humping the air epic sax style.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-21 19:15:07 Reply

screenshotted this because i almost fell off my chair laughing so hard

The Audio Forum Lounge

lel

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 12:37:34 Reply

At 7/21/13 06:20 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 7/21/13 05:43 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Psy-trance/dance/psybient
Maybe just preference, but it seems more danceable then a lot of electro/dance/north american dance. The only way I can envision dancing to much north american dance/edm is like humping the air epic sax style.

There is a lot of really great danceable music there, but I personally seek out the really magical hey-lets-go-on-a-journey albums. I have been introduced to many artists on there, some that have blown my mind away with intensified textures, interesting progression, and totally unexpected twists. The crazy thing is they are massively underrated, like KingBastard or Sonik.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 14:42:28 Reply

At 7/22/13 12:37 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: There is a lot of really great danceable music there, but I personally seek out the really magical hey-lets-go-on-a-journey albums.

Perhaps you should check out http://ultimae.bandcamp.com

BBS Signature
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:01:21 Reply

I like this lounge

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:09:47 Reply

At 7/22/13 03:01 PM, bolisa wrote: I like this lounge

You are either YouriX's brother or YouriX's alt

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:42:24 Reply

Why are you saying that?

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:46:14 Reply

At 7/22/13 03:42 PM, bolisa wrote: Why are you saying that?

Just a hunch

BBS Signature
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:46:29 Reply

Why are you saying that?

At 7/22/13 03:09 PM, FairSquare wrote:
At 7/22/13 03:01 PM, bolisa wrote: I like this lounge
You are either YouriX's brother or YouriX's alt
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:48:34 Reply

Well, haha, im not. He learned me how to make music, thats all.

PS: how do you now YouriX??

At 7/22/13 03:46 PM, FairSquare wrote:
Just a hunch
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:58:39 Reply

At 7/22/13 03:48 PM, bolisa wrote: Well, haha, im not. He learned me how to make music, thats all.

Just a hunch

He used to be a regular here. And he's Dutch too, so yeah

BBS Signature
BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 15:58:54 Reply

New Job

So, the other week I was in here complaining about how much my warehouse job sucked. I just got a new job at the community college I go to, and my position isStudent Engagement Ambassador: Tournament Organizer.

Basically, I get paid to sit around organizing gaming tournaments in the Student Lounge. I'll be putting together competitions for video games such as Smash Bros, Tekken, Street Fighter, etc, as well as traditional table top games.

As much as my previous job sucked, this may just make up for it. B)

bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 16:01:10 Reply

oh , okey

At 7/22/13 03:58 PM, FairSquare wrote:
At 7/22/13 03:48 PM, bolisa wrote: Well, haha, im not. He learned me how to make music, thats all.

Just a hunch
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-22 22:34:26 Reply

At 7/22/13 02:42 PM, InvisibleObserver wrote:
At 7/22/13 12:37 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: There is a lot of really great danceable music there, but I personally seek out the really magical hey-lets-go-on-a-journey albums.
Perhaps you should check out http://ultimae.bandcamp.com

Currently I own the discographies of Solar Fields and Carbon Based Lifeforms. They were definitely a game changer for me. The label is fantastic.

InvisibleObserver
InvisibleObserver
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 00:48:45 Reply

At 7/22/13 10:34 PM, FatKidWitAJetPak wrote: Currently I own the discographies of Solar Fields and Carbon Based Lifeforms. They were definitely a game changer for me. The label is fantastic.

Solar Fields and Aes Dana make me very happy in the pant region. <3 Many elements of their music that I find ideal / worth encorporating into my own music.

BBS Signature
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 01:01:59 Reply

At 7/22/13 03:58 PM, BlazingDragon wrote: New Job
I just got a new job at the community college I go to, and my position isStudent Engagement Ambassador: Tournament Organizer. As much as my previous job sucked, this may just make up for it. B)

I hope it does!

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 01:03:23 Reply

Solar Fields and Aes Dana make me very happy in the pant region. <3 Many elements of their music that I find ideal / worth encorporating into my own music.

My girlfriend and I LOVE them. We relax the night away all the time.

stop thinking sexual things
krssvr
krssvr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 01:23:22 Reply

So I just made sure all my individual tracks for my song are not going beyond 20db, but now i don't remember why that matters. Am I supposed to raise the noise floor with a limiter until I reach a desired level? And if so should I do that pre or post?

"I want to care but I just... don't" -Me
Need somewhere to host audio instantly?

BBS Signature
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 04:33:51 Reply

At 7/22/13 03:48 PM, bolisa wrote: Just a hunch

Everyone in Holland is related. True Story.

Tykwa
Tykwa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 05:10:41 Reply

Sup, Most common tool for collabs? The ol' .flp Transfers?

I need some learning, or something, substance, lmao.

FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 06:42:20 Reply

At 7/23/13 04:33 AM, Echo wrote:

Everyone in the world is related. True story.

BBS Signature
bolisa
bolisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 07:37:26 Reply

Hahah, yes indeed!

At 7/23/13 06:42 AM, FairSquare wrote:
At 7/23/13 04:33 AM, Echo wrote:
Everyone in the world is related. True story.
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 12:08:12 Reply

Writer's block is just horrible

I've tried everything. Taking a break, listening to music in the style I want to create, watching TV, sleeping, forcing myself to make something... It just won't go away.

Worst part is, writer's block doesn't just mean you can't make music, but it even makes you feel like crap. It's like I forgot how to make music or something.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Darkmetroidomega
Darkmetroidomega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 14:20:35 Reply

At 7/23/13 12:08 PM, Step wrote: Writer's block is just horrible

I've tried everything. Taking a break, listening to music in the style I want to create, watching TV, sleeping, forcing myself to make something... It just won't go away.

Worst part is, writer's block doesn't just mean you can't make music, but it even makes you feel like crap. It's like I forgot how to make music or something.

Welcome to my world
:My post wasn't long enough, so I had to put this here.

johnfn
johnfn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 14:28:34 Reply

At 7/23/13 12:08 PM, Step wrote: Writer's block is just horrible

I had songwriter's block for the last few weeks and finally broke out (thank you NGADM!). I'll say some stuff about how I did it. What I've found is the core problem is that I start approaching songwriting as "I want to write a great song" rather than "I want to enjoy the process of writing a song." As soon as I start thinking that I want to make something great, I start stressing out immediately that what I'm writing isn't as good as I want it to be.

So to break writers block, you have to remove the stress of wanting to make something great. There are a lot of ways to do this.
1. Write a song in a genre you've never tried before.
2. Restrict yourself somehow. Limit yourself to one VST, or only give yourself a small amount of time to write a song.

In both of those examples, you'll be able to destress because even if you write something bad you can say "well, it was in a genre I didn't know" or "I only had 2 hours to write that song."

Also, the benefits of caffeine and exercise can not be overstated. :D

Writer's block sucks man. I hope this helps.

[6,11,4,10,2,10,-68,5,15,-68,16,4 ,1,-68,-2,1,15,16,-67].map(function(v){ return String.fromCharCode(v + 100) }).join(""); // updated for web 2.0!

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 14:53:15 Reply

At 7/23/13 02:28 PM, johnfn wrote: I had songwriter's block for the last few weeks and finally broke out (thank you NGADM!). I'll say some stuff about how I did it. What I've found is the core problem is that I start approaching songwriting as "I want to write a great song" rather than "I want to enjoy the process of writing a song." As soon as I start thinking that I want to make something great, I start stressing out immediately that what I'm writing isn't as good as I want it to be.

So to break writers block, you have to remove the stress of wanting to make something great. There are a lot of ways to do this.
2. Restrict yourself somehow. Limit yourself to one VST, or only give yourself a small amount of time to write a song.

In both of those examples, you'll be able to destress because even if you write something bad you can say "well, it was in a genre I didn't know" or "I only had 2 hours to write that song."

That's actually a pretty interesting idea; I'll definitely have to keep it in mind. Only issue is that in this case it's for a game. I have to make "grassland/medieval music", and there aren't many different genres I can take for that approach. You're right though, I'm just approaching this from an angle of "this needs to be great music" because I don't want the the person who asked me to make the music to be disappointed.

I'll see how it goes. I hate how I get all my ideas during exam time and never in summer though.

BBS Signature
Darkmetroidomega
Darkmetroidomega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2013-07-23 14:57:40 Reply

At 7/23/13 02:28 PM, johnfn wrote: I had songwriter's block for the last few weeks and finally broke out (thank you NGADM!). I'll say some stuff about how I did it. What I've found is the core problem is that I start approaching songwriting as "I want to write a great song" rather than "I want to enjoy the process of writing a song." As soon as I start thinking that I want to make something great, I start stressing out immediately that what I'm writing isn't as good as I want it to be.

I'd also take into consideration the Pareto Principle in the context of music. 80% of your success is going to come from 20% of your songs, and vice versa. It helps shake some of the more superficial worries about creating nothing but groundbreaking pieces.

Honestly, writer's block comes and goes as it pleases. If taking a prolonged break doesn't work for you, maybe picking up an instrument and just playing some covers will help you to get your mind off of it. It's kind of like when you have a word on the tip of your tongue; the more you try to think about it, the more your mind blocks it. As soon as you distance yourself a bit, it comes back on its own.