00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kawishinto just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

1,782,664 Views | 34,324 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-01 12:46:00 (edited 2015-01-01 12:46:40)

At 12/25/14 02:16 AM, samulis wrote: Hey guys, just popping in.

After months of scheming for world domination, I'm up for unleashing some new virtual instruments upon the world!

First off, here's a folk harp I made in conjunction with @etherealwinds. It really came out great and I'm psyched to be able to share it with everyone. Now you can have the one-and-only Etherealwinds play harp for you from the comfort of your desktop computer! *gasp*

We're also having a special- Hand Chimes are free for the next three days. They're a good instrument to have around that fill a specific niche nicely.

Anyone find any good deals or specials? Get (or give) any cool music-y gifts? Sacrifice any chickens to the music gods?

Wanted to delurk to say thank you and @etherealwinds, the harp is beautiful. I used to play in middleschool back when there was such a thing as music programs. The only trouble I have with it is that I can't link its parameters to any automation/controllers in FL Studio, which would be nice for instance to be able to sort of palm-mute it by linking the decay to my pitch wheel. For custom VSTs I'm usually able to do this by using the 'last tweaked' parameters in the tools menu after wiggling something, but no dice here :( Don't know what it'd take to enable this on your end, or if it's something FL is glitching on.

Happy new years! Here's a complaint! xD

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-01 14:02:00

At 1/1/15 12:46 PM, Eagleon wrote: Wanted to delurk to say thank you and @etherealwinds, the harp is beautiful. I used to play in middleschool back when there was such a thing as music programs. The only trouble I have with it is that I can't link its parameters to any automation/controllers in FL Studio, which would be nice for instance to be able to sort of palm-mute it by linking the decay to my pitch wheel. For custom VSTs I'm usually able to do this by using the 'last tweaked' parameters in the tools menu after wiggling something, but no dice here :( Don't know what it'd take to enable this on your end, or if it's something FL is glitching on.

Happy new years! Here's a complaint! xD

Yeah, no... sorry. It's an issue with Maize, the thing we use to make our VSTi and Audio Units. It's rather under-developed about a lot of things and the developer of it never seems to want to add any new features, but it's an incredibly efficient and user-friendly tool, unlike 98% of other plugin making tools, which are designed for programmers, not musicians.

I suggest playing around with some of the MIDI CC's. I know volume and pan can be controlled in that way.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-01 18:17:51

Sup, newbie here, just popped in to say hello. Not sure if I'll become a regular here yet, but I do find myself dabbling in music production every now and then, and would like some constructive criticism, and it seems that sites like Deviantart don't accept audio uploads. Am I in the right place?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-01 18:34:30 (edited 2015-01-01 18:35:30)

At 1/1/15 06:17 PM, superblokki wrote: Sup, newbie here, just popped in to say hello. Not sure if I'll become a regular here yet, but I do find myself dabbling in music production every now and then, and would like some constructive criticism, and it seems that sites like Deviantart don't accept audio uploads. Am I in the right place?

Yep. Right place, indeed.

The Audio Advertisement and Review For Review Threads are good starting points.

(3spooky5u is both groovy and melodically intricate. I dig!)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-01 19:05:16

At 1/1/15 06:34 PM, LunyAlex wrote: The Audio Advertisement and Review For Review Threads are good starting points.

(3spooky5u is both groovy and melodically intricate. I dig!)

Thank you for your input! I'll keep those threads in mind.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-02 21:05:28

Plans for this year

Since I live a very busy life (as some may know) I decided that it would be a good idea to show the rest of the world how I combine that life with music production. So, I'm gonna use my Facebook page (which has been inactive for a looong time) as some sort of blog to show how music production, dj'ing and college life go together. I figured it would be an original concept which hopefully would gain interest and eventually would lead to more publicity. What do you guys think of this? :)

[Hidden Audio Gems]

SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook

PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 09:30:12

At 1/2/15 09:05 PM, LiquidOoze wrote: Plans for this year

Since I live a very busy life (as some may know) I decided that it would be a good idea to show the rest of the world how I combine that life with music production. So, I'm gonna use my Facebook page (which has been inactive for a looong time) as some sort of blog to show how music production, dj'ing and college life go together. I figured it would be an original concept which hopefully would gain interest and eventually would lead to more publicity. What do you guys think of this? :)

Yeah man, go for it. Those kinds of posts are what your Facebook page is for after all! It's a rather nice way to keep the page updated (something which I have trouble doing with my own Facebook page, which has 900 totally undeserved likes since I almost never use it haha).

--

On an unrelated note, I find it amusing how this guy may be using Chaoz Fantasy as a point of quality reference for every song he hears on Newgrounds.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 11:11:49

At 1/3/15 09:30 AM, Step wrote:
On an unrelated note, I find it amusing how this guy may be using Chaoz Fantasy as a point of quality reference for every song he hears on Newgrounds.

lel
brb letz hear that fantasy tune...

Newest Track: h8ju

If you want me to Review smthn, just send me a PM ;)

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 11:14:57

kind of funny that i never listened to it...

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 14:13:21

All about that bus compression guys. Seriouslz

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 14:57:39

> 5 years into music production
> still have a very abstract notion of how compression can be used and the different techniques it can be employed through

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 15:13:28

At 1/3/15 02:57 PM, LunyAlex wrote: > 5 years into music production
> still have a very abstract notion of how compression can be used and the different techniques it can be employed through

Same, except I'm at 6 years.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-03 15:20:09

At 1/3/15 03:13 PM, Step wrote:

All you need to do

The Audio Forum Lounge

Just a random idiot

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-04 08:48:27

At 1/3/15 03:20 PM, Ectisity wrote:
All you need to do

am I doing it right?

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-04 16:09:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na2XaZNYu_c

this seems rather interesting. sure the music might not be everyones cup of tee but still. you need to get your audience into expieriencing the emotions of your song... I dont think people do that enough.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-04 17:20:47

I had to do this.

that's fedde le grand and nicky romero btw

The Audio Forum Lounge

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-04 17:24:21

At 1/4/15 01:12 PM, Braiton wrote:
Compression isn't that hard to understand to be honest. Picture it like a guy that controls a volume knob, and how you set up the parameters will change how he reacts and moves that knob.

Basically you tell it to bring the levels down when the signal or a part of it reaches or goes past X dB (you control that with the Threshold and Ratio parameters to shape the response curve). The attack parameter is the time the guy will take to move that knob down to reduce from the X dB you specified to the matching output, while the release time is the time the guy will take to turn the knob up to restore the gain once compression is finished (the other way round for expansion).

So if you understand that it's basically a tool to control dynamics, and that it can also shape the form of the output signal it's just about being creative with what you can do with it. Bring down audio peaks and make quiet sounds louder (reduce the dynamic range with compression) or do the opposite (make quiet sounds even more quiet) (you increase the dynamic range with an expander), sidechains, sustain pedals, transient shapers, limiters, gates, whatever you can think of that applies.

I think it's the diversity of applications that clouds my perception a bit.

Like, you compress a snare drum, right? You use compression to make the snare drum punchier.

And mentally I picture a valve that expands exactly when I want it to (Attack) for as long as I want it to (Release) to mold a short "burst"-like sound (the snare).

But then you compress a Bass guitar and suddenly that valve doesn't apply anymore because the sound isn't as finite (like the very swift beginning and end of the snare hit).

And then I'm like...

After the bass goes through the valve, does it retain the last effect the valve had on it... or does it go back to its original state... or...

Basically I have issues mentally visualizing compression if I use a constant stream of sound as reference, even though I do understand the notion of >loud parts sound less loud and soft parts sound less soft<.

Trippy stuff, man.

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-05 00:37:18

I thought compressors were drum machines. I'm bad at this dangit :< (volume warning)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYxcch-3_44

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-05 08:32:10

At 1/5/15 12:37 AM, Eagleon wrote: I thought compressors were drum machines. I'm bad at this dangit :< (volume warning)

well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-05 09:08:04

At 1/5/15 12:37 AM, Eagleon wrote: I thought compressors were drum machines. I'm bad at this dangit :< (volume warning)

Wow, that's crazy.

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-05 12:59:59 (edited 2015-01-05 13:00:33)

Metalheadz history set by Grooverider live @ Outlook festival last year.

Who's going this year!!! I'll come skank with you :)

http://www.mixcloud.com/metalheadz/grooverider-history-set-outlook-festival-070914/

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-05 16:31:57

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-06 15:34:04

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 08:26:49

At 1/5/15 12:54 PM, Lich wrote: UM225/UM226 is on sale for $49
Heavily debating whether I should get it. It would be incredible useful for a few things but the catch is that I handle alot of my Positioning duties currently with multiple instances of Waves Center.

This is all you need bro

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 09:08:30

At 1/7/15 08:26 AM, Chozz wrote:
At 1/5/15 12:54 PM, Lich wrote: UM225/UM226 is on sale for $49
Heavily debating whether I should get it. It would be incredible useful for a few things but the catch is that I handle alot of my Positioning duties currently with multiple instances of Waves Center.
This is all you need bro

wow thats what i always put on my masters! It sounds so warm and gives everything that analougue tape feel, you know?

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 18:03:43

At 1/7/15 05:36 PM, Lich wrote: yay the front page

I was about to send you a congratulatory PM, but I think congratulations are due here instead!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 18:26:59

You earned it, man. Keep making awesome stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 19:23:01

Noice!

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 21:14:21 (edited 2015-01-07 21:16:00)

At 1/7/15 09:03 PM, Lich wrote: Thanks everyone!

well done mate!

this is my night in a nutshell. Been mixing some artists from the DNB section ;) (wiyh my collection)

The Audio Forum Lounge

Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2015-01-07 22:31:37

drunkm /post

[Hidden Audio Gems]

BBS Signature