Be a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

  • 1,209,804 Views
  • 36,811 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-03 20:36:32 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:10 PM, SineRider wrote: iirc midimachine has one (or had one)

yeah he does

which reminds me, i need an xoxbox

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 00:43:39 Reply

Video Editing

So every school day my friend and I (we live fairly close to each other so we go in the same schoolbus) sit down near each other on the bus and use my laptop, so that he can work on Adobe After Effects for a particularly big commission. He isn't an expert with it (in fact he only started using it like a week ago), but damn that stuff's complicated. I wouldn't say as complicated as making music because routing mixer channels and all the different plugins and synthesis and whatnot is still more complex, but still.

What came off as even more of a surprise is that editing video takes a hell of a lot of RAM. I thought FL Studio with East/West would take a lot since in Task Manager I see it taking up over 1.8 GB a lot of the time, but when he was rendering a very simple video in After Effects, it was taking up 2.6 GB of my laptop's 3.48 GB of RAM like it's nothing. The screen started flickering, other programs like uTorrent stopped running as if to leave some space for After Effects, and the laptop slowed down like crazy.

We didn't manage to finish rendering the video in time since the bus arrived at his house and he had to get off, but I swear if we left it rendering any longer we'd start seeing smoke coming out of my laptop. And that's for a simple .avi video. There goes my mentality that sample library VSTs are the most resource-intensive things out there.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Hikari
Hikari
  • Member since: Jan. 17, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 01:01:25 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:36 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 12/3/12 08:10 PM, SineRider wrote: iirc midimachine has one (or had one)
yeah he does

which reminds me, i need an xoxbox

Im building one right now actually. I cant wait to see what I can do with it.

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Member since: Apr. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 01:20:26 Reply

At 12/4/12 01:14 AM, Lasse wrote: today i played my guitar in my amp and let it ring for like 7 minutes then my mom busted in and was like stop that i was like no i make drone metal stop treating me like a baby im 32 years old god,,,

Still living with your parents then i Hope by the time ni reach that ages that i already live on my own

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 05:32:49 Reply

At 12/4/12 01:01 AM, Tabu112 wrote: Im building one right now actually. I cant wait to see what I can do with it.

that's killer, let us know how you go.

i think it would compliment some of my other gear quite nicely!

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Member since: Aug. 14, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 05:35:50 Reply

At 12/4/12 01:20 AM, ForeverBound wrote: Still living with your parents then i Hope by the time ni reach that ages that i already live on my own

I think that was the joke. At least that's what I hope...


BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 06:20:10 Reply

Having no income for the past month+ has been somewhat beneficial to my music skillz. Now that I've accepted the fact that I cannot afford to spend money on production tools, I've been utilizing what I already have (which is not a bad arsenal, mind you) with the mentality of knowing nothing new will be coming to my aid.

Oakwood
Oakwood
  • Member since: May. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 07:08:29 Reply

At 12/3/12 08:36 PM, jarrydn wrote:
At 12/3/12 08:10 PM, SineRider wrote: iirc midimachine has one (or had one)
yeah he does

which reminds me, i need an xoxbox

For a moment I thought you typed Xbox wrong.


[Hidden Audio Gems]
SoundCloud || YouTube || Facebook
PM me for constructive reviews, collaborations or commissions!
Latest track: Clouds (Oakwood RMX)!

BBS Signature
ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Member since: Apr. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 16:17:18 Reply

For a moment I thought you typed Xbox wrong.

hahaha :P

ForeverBound
ForeverBound
  • Member since: Apr. 4, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 16:20:20 Reply

At 12/4/12 06:20 AM, The-iMortal wrote: Having no income for the past month+ has been somewhat beneficial to my music skillz. Now that I've accepted the fact that I cannot afford to spend money on production tools, I've been utilizing what I already have (which is not a bad arsenal, mind you) with the mentality of knowing nothing new will be coming to my aid.

also even with not alot of gear u can still make some propper songs ;)
so try to learn in the mean time to work beter with your tools ( if possible) because mostley u can reach more with your tools that u already have then u first think ;)

RebelLouiz
RebelLouiz
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 18:50:39 Reply

At 12/4/12 01:20 AM, ForeverBound wrote:
At 12/4/12 01:14 AM, Lasse wrote: ... mom busted in and was like stop that i was like no i make drone metal stop treating me like a baby im 32 years old god,,,
Still living with your parents then i Hope by the time ni reach that ages that i already live on my own

32 years old? Gosh, I was out at the age of 16-17. Grow up, Lasse, ans stop torturing your parent(s) with harsh music.

Lasse, do you live in the basement?

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 18:53:31 Reply

At 12/4/12 04:20 PM, ForeverBound wrote: also even with not alot of gear u can still make some propper songs ;)

You're not wrong. I remember reading in a book on mixing, the author stated that you can present a recording to lesser mixing engineers with the most expensive equipment, but the better mix would be produced by experienced engineers with the cheapest gear.

Also, Soundcloud's redesign is up. Looks pretty sweet.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 20:06:05 Reply

At 12/4/12 06:53 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Also, Soundcloud's redesign is up. Looks pretty sweet.

Yeah, but it might take some time before I can get used to it.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 21:44:18 Reply

thank fuck i haven't been switched over yet.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 21:55:55 Reply

At 12/4/12 08:06 PM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/4/12 06:53 PM, The-iMortal wrote: Also, Soundcloud's redesign is up. Looks pretty sweet.
Yeah, but it might take some time before I can get used to it.

it's too messy IMO


lel

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 23:19:02 Reply

hey it's tough economic times these days..

so people have been pressuring me to get back into music.. however my computer corrupted and I had to format it.. losing all my files and software about a year ago.. then my computer blew and doesn't turn on. I am on my old laptop and frankly the thought of reaccumulating 9 years worth of stuff.. well frankly just doesn't appeal to me. Which is shame because I was finally going to tinker with some groundbreaking sound software and hardware but.. eh I dunno. It just feels like a hassle now.

Which brings me to another point.. when is enough enough? Does one just keep making music so that they don't fade into obscurity anymore on here? I used to battle with the concept of whether it is egotistical to simply want people to remember what you have done, and to try to leave some sorta imprint. I have come to the conclusion that I guess it is.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 23:28:58 Reply

At 12/4/12 11:19 PM, Chronamut wrote:
Which brings me to another point.. when is enough enough? Does one just keep making music so that they don't fade into obscurity anymore on here? I used to battle with the concept of whether it is egotistical to simply want people to remember what you have done, and to try to leave some sorta imprint. I have come to the conclusion that I guess it is.

Don't worry chron, you left a mark here on NG that nobody would forget. I'm sure people are okay if you stop writing music for now.

I have tried stopping, it will never work. I simply do it because I enjoy it.

lel

BBS Signature
Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 23:42:06 Reply

At 12/4/12 11:28 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 12/4/12 11:19 PM, Chronamut wrote:
Which brings me to another point.. when is enough enough? Does one just keep making music so that they don't fade into obscurity anymore on here? I used to battle with the concept of whether it is egotistical to simply want people to remember what you have done, and to try to leave some sorta imprint. I have come to the conclusion that I guess it is.
Don't worry chron, you left a mark here on NG that nobody would forget. I'm sure people are okay if you stop writing music for now.

I have tried stopping, it will never work. I simply do it because I enjoy it.

for me it had to happen eventually.. I am almost 30 now and am thinking about settling down, and I've just been really busy with a bunch of things, and slowly getting back into art, or trying to. So yeah.. a lot of my motivation to do what I did on this site was simply.. to not be forgotten. Saw too many comrades drop off the map and noone even remembers who they are anymore. It's tough to watch.

Thanks for the support Sequenced :)

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-04 23:51:26 Reply

At 12/4/12 11:42 PM, Chronamut wrote: Saw too many comrades drop off the map and noone even remembers who they are anymore. It's tough to watch.

One day a rooster, next day a feather-duster...

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 01:37:17 Reply

i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 01:42:07 Reply

At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do

i call "cheesy" on that statement

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 01:50:19 Reply

At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do

we all do things for different reasons.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 02:32:12 Reply

At 12/5/12 01:42 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do
i call "cheesy" on that statement

+1

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 02:52:53 Reply

At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do

it is our destiny!


lel

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 02:55:07 Reply

At 12/5/12 01:42 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do
i call "cheesy" on that statement

yeah but whats your point?

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 03:02:32 Reply

At 12/5/12 02:55 AM, jarrydn wrote:
At 12/5/12 01:42 AM, Yoshiii343 wrote:
At 12/5/12 01:37 AM, jarrydn wrote: i dont write music so i can be remembered, i write music because its what i was born to do
i call "cheesy" on that statement
yeah but whats your point?

nothing to tell you the truth

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 03:09:53 Reply

it might have been cheesy but how else am i supposed to put it? it's really hard to not feel this way when practically every moment of my life i am either thinking about music or doing something music related.

or do you not feel like you were born to be a musician? is it just a hobby for you? is your brain switched off about music most of the time?

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 03:13:27 Reply

At 12/5/12 03:09 AM, jarrydn wrote: or do you not feel like you were born to be a musician?

As cheesy as your earlier statement was, truth be told... yes, I feel like I was born to be a musician.

I feel so lame right now saying that
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 03:13:44 Reply

At 12/5/12 03:09 AM, jarrydn wrote: do you not feel like you were born to be a musician? is it just a hobby for you? is your brain switched off about music most of the time?

point taken

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-05 03:52:55 Reply

changing the topic for a moment here
apparently you can revert back to the original design in SoundCloud