New Topic Respond to this Topic
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 04:17:10 Reply

At 11/30/12 03:31 AM, Nav wrote: What have you guys been up to? How was your Thanksgiving, if you're from the USA? Plans for winter break?

I've been fiddling with a techno project I started over a month ago, and I've got a pretty energetic loop going. Now if only I figure out how to build a proper intro to it so it can turn into an actual track, that'd be cool.

As for winter break, even though there's no such thing for me other than a few days off, we're heading over to the gf's parents' place, and after a week, I'm off to Belgium to see my family for two-ish weeks. I'll be in Belgium for both christmas and new year's day. I'll be working from there too, which is a nice part of telecommuting; just work from where-ever. I'm also excited to see my dad again; due to bad planning I didn't see him last time I was in Belgium, as those exact two weeks he was off on holiday in France. That makes it over 7 months since I've seen him.

MrSaint
MrSaint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Melancholy
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 04:32:59 Reply

At 11/30/12 03:31 AM, Nav wrote: √ź¬°onsidering rejoining Skype chat sometime. We'll see.

What have you guys been up to? How was your Thanksgiving, if you're from the USA? Plans for winter break?

I left the Skype chat thingy a few weeks ago. It got a bit annoying. What really pissed me off, was that I didn't see any Audio Forum regs in there, except for a few, but they bailed out quickly

If we gathered only the regs, I'm pretty sure the atmosphere would be much friendlier and different.

I don't celebrate Thanksgiving, but I'm really looking forward to Christmas!

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 12:39:14 Reply

Something about my latest FL Studio project file is telling me my RAM and CPU are hating me right now.

The Audio Forum Lounge

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 13:41:36 Reply

At 11/30/12 12:39 PM, Step wrote: Something about my latest FL Studio project file is telling me my RAM and CPU are hating me right now.

This promises EPICNESS!!!!!!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 13:52:44 Reply

At 11/30/12 03:31 AM, Nav wrote: , if you're from the USA? Plans for winter break?

I sent you a message.

If anyone else wants to meet up that's in the tri-state area, let me know.

I'm going to be bored as fuck for a month. My break is dec 15th - jan 13th.

lel

BBS Signature
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 14:19:16 Reply

At 11/30/12 01:52 PM, Sequenced wrote: If anyone else wants to meet up that's in the tri-state area, let me know.

I'm going to be bored as fuck for a month. My break is dec 15th - jan 13th.

Ha, we have the same break almost exactly.

However, both of the places where I live in the "tri-state area" (I'm assuming PA, NJ, NY...), are actually pretty far from NJ.

My home (where I'll be over break) is in Albany, which is like 3 hours from NYC, and I'm going to school in Pittsburgh, which I think is even further (PA's pretty wide).

I'm visiting NYC some point over break, so it might be cool to say hi briefly then. If you can get more people then I'll definitely consider meeting up for a day or two.

At 11/30/12 04:32 AM, MrSaint wrote: I left the Skype chat thingy a few weeks ago. It got a bit annoying. What really pissed me off, was that I didn't see any Audio Forum regs in there, except for a few, but they bailed out quickly

If we gathered only the regs, I'm pretty sure the atmosphere would be much friendlier and different.

Yeah. IRC was like that for a while, but people just stopped showing up. I mean, I could always just host a small vent server... or we could just pick some random freenode channel... the only thing stopping us from forming a better chatroom is getting people to actually use it.

At 11/30/12 04:17 AM, Mich wrote: I've been fiddling with a techno project I started over a month ago, and I've got a pretty energetic loop going. Now if only I figure out how to build a proper intro to it so it can turn into an actual track, that'd be cool.

Hah, I know that feeling well. Good luck :) I think building a song from a loop is, bar none, the most challenging part of producing. I struggle at exactly that point more often than I'd like to admit.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 14:22:11 Reply

At 11/30/12 02:19 PM, Nav wrote:
Yeah. IRC was like that for a while, but people just stopped showing up. I mean, I could always just host a small vent server... or we could just pick some random freenode channel... the only thing stopping us from forming a better chatroom is getting people to actually use it.

yea its been a whole since ive chatted with yall fuckers as a whole, start it up again.

At 11/30/12 04:17 AM, Mich wrote: I've been fiddling with a techno project I started over a month ago, and I've got a pretty energetic loop going. Now if only I figure out how to build a proper intro to it so it can turn into an actual track, that'd be cool.

just be avant garde and do some noise or have a totally unrelated build

champion mode
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 14:33:54 Reply

At 11/30/12 02:22 PM, jpbear wrote:
yea its been a whole since ive chatted with yall fuckers as a whole, start it up again.

We got to make sure to make the #1 most important rule - DO NOT stream yourself making music or showing music. just send it over in the chat.

definitely start a server, that'll be awesome!

and as for NYC, let me know when you're in town!

lel

BBS Signature
SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 16:07:41 Reply

At 11/30/12 01:52 PM, Sequenced wrote:

If you guys are ever in Boston, hit me up ;)

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 16:20:53 Reply

At 11/30/12 04:07 PM, SineRider wrote:
At 11/30/12 01:52 PM, Sequenced wrote:
If you guys are ever in Boston, hit me up ;)

If I get the cash to, sure. unless you wanna travel to nyc for the weekend and crash at my place.

lel

BBS Signature
Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 16:59:37 Reply

http://soundcloud.com/free-fresh-samples
Just thought I would share this project of mine. If you want to contribute, your more then welcome.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 17:32:38 Reply

At 11/30/12 04:59 PM, Tabu112 wrote: http://soundcloud.com/free-fresh-samples
Just thought I would share this project of mine. If you want to contribute, your more then welcome.

awesome! will use them in the future.

lel

BBS Signature
Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 17:53:00 Reply

At 11/30/12 05:32 PM, Sequenced wrote:
At 11/30/12 04:59 PM, Tabu112 wrote: http://soundcloud.com/free-fresh-samples
awesome! will use them in the future.

I'm happy to hear that!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 17:56:31 Reply

I feel bad. I just took an exam on music theory and I sucked ass. I dont feel like I learned anything at all. I feel like repassing some notes now. And unlike before actually doing the homework this time.
Siiiiiiiiiiiigh..... :(

I'm just a dreamer.
never forgetti, like mom's spaghetti Credit to @pussyshark

BBS Signature
Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 18:20:24 Reply

At 11/30/12 05:56 PM, sweet21 wrote: I feel bad. I just took an exam on music theory and I sucked ass. I dont feel like I learned anything at all. I feel like repassing some notes now. And unlike before actually doing the homework this time.

Awh, that sucks. What grade are you trying to pass? Im at grade 3 lol..

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 19:18:08 Reply

So I get into NAMM for free this year as a guitar center rep.

All I have to do if I want to go is pay for transportation and a hotel.

Too bad that would cost about a grand.

Therefore fuck that.

my 2cents for the month.
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 19:36:57 Reply

At 11/30/12 04:07 PM, SineRider wrote: If you guys are ever in Boston, hit me up ;)

Boston is actually plausible sometime in the future. We have some family friends there. I'll definitely let you know.

At 11/30/12 02:33 PM, Sequenced wrote: We got to make sure to make the #1 most important rule - DO NOT stream yourself making music or showing music. just send it over in the chat.

Of course.

definitely start a server, that'll be awesome!

Well, the server would only be around while I'm sitting at my laptop, as I'd be hosting it off my local connection. It'd also have a max size of 8 people.

and as for NYC, let me know when you're in town!

Sure.

Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 20:31:11 Reply

At 11/30/12 12:39 PM, Step wrote: Something about my latest FL Studio project file is telling me my RAM and CPU are hating me right now.

That's literally why I cant finish most of my projects.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 20:46:02 Reply

At 11/30/12 08:31 PM, Tabu112 wrote:
That's literally why I cant finish most of my projects.

I can't finish most of my projects because I have serious ADD and procrastination issues.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Hikari
Hikari
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 20:56:22 Reply

You see, that's the differenced between yo; ooh shiny.

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 21:56:43 Reply

At 11/30/12 06:20 PM, Tabu112 wrote:
At 11/30/12 05:56 PM, sweet21 wrote: I feel bad. I just took an exam on music theory and I sucked ass. I dont feel like I learned anything at all. I feel like repassing some notes now. And unlike before actually doing the homework this time.

Grades? There are tiers? Well, were covering rhythm and time signatures mostly. Triads and chords too. Its pretty far in TBH.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 21:59:16 Reply

At 11/30/12 09:56 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 11/30/12 06:20 PM, Tabu112 wrote:
At 11/30/12 05:56 PM, sweet21 wrote:
Grades? There are tiers? Well, were covering rhythm and time signatures mostly. Triads and chords too. Its pretty far in TBH.

I'm grade 0 in music theory and I still make good music...

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 22:12:50 Reply

At 11/30/12 09:59 PM, dem0lecule wrote: I'm grade 0 in music theory and I still make good music...

I'm grade 3 in violin, and I still make sub-par music.

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 22:19:38 Reply

No amount of knowledge can make up for a lack in creativity and/or inspiration.

This is what I have against music theory. You can be a grand master in music theory knowledge, and still not be able to put together a song that people enjoy.

I know someone who's grade 3 in music theory, and she openly admits she can't write a song worth shit... And comes to me, someone who has done nothing but read the cover of a music theory book, asking me to create music for her.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 22:35:24 Reply

At 11/30/12 10:19 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: No amount of knowledge can make up for a lack in creativity and/or inspiration.

This is what I have against music theory. You can be a grand master in music theory knowledge, and still not be able to put together a song that people enjoy.

I got the creativity, but I have trouble translating my thoughts to a page or a program. Thats why im in music theory. I want to be able to write down my ideas, and in the end im hoping i'll learn some better fundamentals.

For example im trying to learn some really basic scales and such, just to build my confidence abit. I try playing the great fairy fountain theme. I go one whole up and up and up, it doesn't sound anywhere near that beautiful harp. *sigh*
Then I see a how to video and their fingers end up in places I wouldn't even THINK to go. Who knew you had to go F# at one point?

Hearing it all I hear is going up 4 whole tones but its so much more complex in the end. Theres so much I dont get I just hope music theory can help with, only then do I feel I can begin creating content.

Or maybe I just suck at using trackers, who know.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-11-30 23:22:55 Reply

At 11/30/12 10:35 PM, sweet21 wrote: I got the creativity, but I have trouble translating my thoughts to a page or a program. Thats why im in music theory. I want to be able to write down my ideas, and in the end im hoping i'll learn some better fundamentals.

That's perfectly fine... It just bugs me when people assume knowing music theory automatically makes you a better musician. Like I said... knowledge without creativity when it comes to music means absolutely nothing.

If you have creativity, the theory can only help you more. Though some people will argue that learning theory in essence puts you in shackles... I'm not really one of those people though.

Audio/BBS Mod

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-01 00:33:30 Reply

I apparently can sing.

I never sang before, but a couple friends in my dorm forced me to sing skyfall by adele because they wanna hear what it sounds like.

So, the song keeps rolling on, I have been hitting all the pitches (keep in mind I rarely ever sing if not at all). the last bit of the song when the climax happened, I went ALL OUT. I got lost in the music, I sang at the top of my lungs (with proper breath control and vibrato), and the guys were sitting there with a O.O face. One of them said I was about to cry. They all had chills, and maybe even an orgasm.

I will never sing again.

lel

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-01 02:59:10 Reply

At 11/30/12 11:22 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: That's perfectly fine... It just bugs me when people assume knowing music theory automatically makes you a better musician. Like I said... knowledge without creativity when it comes to music means absolutely nothing.

If you have creativity, the theory can only help you more. Though some people will argue that learning theory in essence puts you in shackles... I'm not really one of those people though.

Yeah I agree, it doesn't limit you at all. Once you know all the rules, you're able to break them at will. Learning music theory just means you don't have to reinvent the wheel of music composition all by yourself. And it'll also help with creativity, especially when you get to later grades, since music theory will show you stuff that you've never thought about before, which really expands horizons and, at least to me, it gives tonnes of creative ideas.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-01 12:00:02 Reply

Knowing theory has helped me immensely as a writer. I won't claim to understand the large majority of theory, but knowing a bit will help out a ton. Creativity can only take you so far. It's like poetry - you can have the most beautiful ideas in your mind, but without the language to convey it properly it doesn't matter much. That said, theory alone won't make you a great composer, just as a mastery of grammar and syntax does not produce a great poet. However, creativity alone will not make you a great writer either.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-12-01 16:37:19 Reply

At 12/1/12 12:33 AM, Sequenced wrote:
I never sang before.... I sang with proper breath control and vibrato

sounds legit