Be a Supporter!

The Audio Forum Lounge

  • 909,778 Views
  • 35,983 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
m0lecule
m0lecule
  • Member since: Aug. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 21:51:51 Reply

At 10/12/12 09:01 PM, Criminal-23 wrote: Well, I don't know how the fuck it works next, but it should be either:
X = 4 Root[3]
Or
X = -4 Root[3]

How EXACTLY will one use such an equation in his life? Unless it's Science-related, it's pretty much useless shit.

LOL, isn't Math is all about logics?

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:19:36 Reply

At 10/12/12 09:01 PM, Criminal-23 wrote: How EXACTLY will one use such an equation in his life? Unless it's Science-related, it's pretty much useless shit.

Well, I'm pretty sure you should be thankful for it because it's pretty much one of the reasons you are not buried under a pile of rubble and debris. So yeah, useless shit.

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:33:21 Reply

At 10/12/12 09:44 PM, la-yinn wrote: Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Oh wait, science gave you a house that doesn't fall into pieces when there's an earthquake.

I'm with you people on the whole 'education strips individuality, doesn't recognize unique cognitive abilities in individuals' etc, but to argue that things like science, history or even something as simple as geography aren't useful in life is kind of biased, don't you think?

Besides, after a while you seek education, it doesn't seek you. So to cynically point out that the system is somewhat rigid, is to blindly defy the fact that such a system is, above all, one hell of a luxury.

Yeah I wasn't really arguing about those subjects being useless. I was arguing that they will be useless to some people. A certain percentage of people go for a medicine-oriented career, others for law, others for music, and so on. Everyone's different, but everyone has to study the same stuff for the first 15 years of their lives or so, and the stuff people learn which they won't study later on in life or take as a career will be almost entirely forgotten because that's what humans do. We forget.

I learned French and Italian for five years and now I can barely ask a French or Italian person what their name and age is. And religion? Not a sliver of information of it left in my skull. Now, other people will say the same about maths and computing. Also, I'm not saying school is useless either because it's the reason educated humans aren't morons (well, most educated humans anyway). But the system is highly flawed, and wastes a lot of time. I kinda thought it was generally agreed upon by everyone that the school system is crap, haha.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:40:31 Reply

Since I'm bored, I'll drop in on what I think about algebra's usefulness:

Unless you are a engineer, a scientist (usually related to space-y stuff), an algebra teacher or an accountant, algebra isn't necessarily required for most careers. So why does high schools make you slave over algebra if you want to go to university? (or college?)

Simply because it (may)develop these skills/characteristics:
~ Your tenacity to learn and to store information
~ Gives you better reasoning abilities (when presented with a problem)
~ Allows you to communicate better

So really it's just there to develop your brain a little to prepare you for the glorious glorious fun that will be tertiary education.


SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-12 22:41:46 Reply

At 10/12/12 10:40 PM, Jeromia wrote: glorious glorious fun

LIES!


SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 01:23:03 Reply

I forget what its called so for all intensive purposes we'll call it "practical math" because thats what it is.

It's a course where you learn math you use everyday, such as percentages, measurements, and I think thats about it really.


I'm just a dreamer. steam profile

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 01:28:57 Reply

At 10/13/12 01:23 AM, sweet21 wrote: I forget what its called so for all intensive purposes we'll call it "practical math" because thats what it is.

It's a course where you learn math you use everyday, such as percentages, measurements, and I think thats about it really.

Known in Canada as "Applied Mathematics".


Audio/BBS Mod News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira \/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Jeromia
Jeromia
  • Member since: Jun. 15, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 03:43:18 Reply

At 10/13/12 01:28 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Known in Canada as "Applied Mathematics".

Also known In Australia (Queensland) as "Maths A"

and for the people whom like to re-learn grade 7 maths in Austrlia, "Prevocational Maths" XD

SON OF A SOLAR SYSTEM!

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 04:02:19 Reply

At 10/12/12 10:40 PM, Jeromia wrote:
Simply because it (may)develop these skills/characteristics:
~ Your tenacity to learn and to store information
~ Gives you better reasoning abilities (when presented with a problem)
~ Allows you to communicate better

So really it's just there to develop your brain a little to prepare you for the glorious glorious fun that will be tertiary education.

Actually for me when I took my calculus courses, that was around the time I first started getting physical pain in my skull from thinking too hard. REALLY.

Using my brain causes physical pain.

Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 04:18:56 Reply

Wow I must've missed a lot, since we're talking about maths and all.
I still hate it.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 11:07:45 Reply

At 10/12/12 04:53 PM, Step wrote:
At 10/12/12 04:37 PM, Computer112 wrote: I never good in doing quick math. There are several thing I can beat most math people I know. I can cite the multiplication tables up to 70. Basically anything in algebra, arithmetic, calculus and geometry, give me complex problems and I can solve them in a reasonable amount of time. Not quick, I cannot do shit in quick time...
Man I used to be exactly the same (except I've always liked theoretical maths regardless). Rushing makes it so easy to cause mistakes. However I've been forced to learn how to be quicker since the exams here are crazy.

An extremely small percentage of people actually finish the whole exam. The average pass rate for this maths exam in Malta is 22% (that means getting an A, B, C, D, or E. So 78% of all the maths students in Malta get an F. Not very encouraging). Therefore, any good school has to gear the students up ridiculously well to speed up and not make mistakes, hence the average of 5 hours of compulsory maths homework I get everyday.

85% of the think we learn in school will never apply IRL. Math is no exception. I was more confident in learning university math, and other stuff. I think either US and Canada; all have the same weakness is that they all do not gear up applied educations for students. Everyone just goes theoretical and no one tries to put that in to real life usages. In Canada this thing is seriously lacking. I hope where you study is better. Heard Malta educations are one of the top in Europe.

Trig is a nightmare for me. I tried to master it but never really successful to do so. Every time I need to reference something from trig, had to flip the textbook open just to look at Euler formula and its equations (graphic programming with trig is a pain in the butt).

If you are a trig lover, I hail to you, master...


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 11:26:24 Reply

At 10/12/12 09:44 PM, la-yinn wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:16 PM, Step wrote: Welcome to the ever so wonderful and highly efficient system of education employed by today's blossoming world.
Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Oh wait, science gave you a house that doesn't fall into pieces when there's an earthquake.

I'm with you people on the whole 'education strips individuality, doesn't recognize unique cognitive abilities in individuals' etc, but to argue that things like science, history or even something as simple as geography aren't useful in life is kind of biased, don't you think?

Building a hut doesn't have anything to do with math. Indigenous people do that all the time. Ask them what is 2 + 2 and they'll give you 5 (you decide the puns!). Do they give a fuck about who won the Nobel prize this year? No.

Do you build a hut with math? No you build it with material and common senses. In the end you don't need to know all maths, just to have common sense. Some maths are indeed very important. Most are shits. Shits fly IRL. Tell me, what does Topology has use IRL? Probably in some applications? No?

Stop acting like Mr. Know-it-all, shut up, wake the fuck up and see the real problems. Thank you

Besides, after a while you seek education, it doesn't seek you. So to cynically point out that the system is somewhat rigid, is to blindly defy the fact that such a system is, above all, one hell of a luxury.

OF COURSE, Capt. Obvious! Hey asshole, we are not 'blindly' bashing the educations we get/got. In fact if you read the previous posts, every one was saying what is useful and what is use less. Read before posting, for fuck sake.


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Member since: May. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 26
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 12:27:27 Reply

Still talking about maths, guys? Come on, at least talk about cocks then...


SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 12:59:20 Reply

god Computer112 your trolling is boring and awful

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 13:02:16 Reply

At 10/13/12 11:26 AM, Computer112 wrote:
common senses. maths, Most are shits. what does Topology has use IRL? Probably in some applications?

fuk

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 13:27:05 Reply

At 10/13/12 11:26 AM, Computer112 wrote: Building a hut doesn't have anything to do with math. Indigenous people do that all the time. Ask them what is 2 + 2 and they'll give you 5 (you decide the puns!). Do they give a fuck about who won the Nobel prize this year? No.

Do you build a hut with math? No you build it with material and common senses. In the end you don't need to know all maths, just to have common sense. Some maths are indeed very important. Most are shits. Shits fly IRL. Tell me, what does Topology has use IRL? Probably in some applications? No?

Stop acting like Mr. Know-it-all, shut up, wake the fuck up and see the real problems. Thank you

Except that's your own perception of indigenous people and not a real fact. Sure, they probably didn't have the same theoretical knowledge about different subject that we do posses now and probably used different symbols to refer to different things but it's not like they were a bunch of retards living under the sun.

Also huts are completely irrelevant. We don't live in huts and I'm pretty sure material and common sense are not enough to build the houses or structures we live in now.

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 19:32:37 Reply

At 10/13/12 01:27 PM, Braiton wrote: stuff

Someone doesn't get my jokes. Btw, I'm not the OP of the 'huts problem'.

Kudos to Buoy for discovering it...


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 19:58:22 Reply

a trol never reveals himself......

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 20:00:19 Reply

At 10/13/12 07:32 PM, Computer112 wrote:
At 10/13/12 01:27 PM, Braiton wrote: stuff
Someone doesn't get my jokes. Btw, I'm not the OP of the 'huts problem'.

Kudos to Buoy for discovering it...

olol jokes

sweet21
sweet21
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Artist
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-13 22:19:06 Reply

At 10/13/12 07:58 PM, jpbear wrote: a trol never reveals himself......

He could be in this very room, he could be you, he could be me, he could even be....


I'm just a dreamer. steam profile

BBS Signature
Yoshiii343
Yoshiii343
  • Member since: Mar. 8, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 02:20:12 Reply

At 10/13/12 10:19 PM, sweet21 wrote:
At 10/13/12 07:58 PM, jpbear wrote: a trol never reveals himself......
He could be in this very room, he could be you, he could be me, he could even be....

...What? IT WAS OBVIOUS!

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 08:19:35 Reply

At 10/13/12 11:26 AM, Computer112 wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:44 PM, la-yinn wrote:
At 10/12/12 09:16 PM, Step wrote: Welcome to the ever so wonderful and highly efficient system of education employed by today's blossoming world.
Here's a stick, go fight wild animals for food, then skin it for clothing and eat their raw flesh in your hut.

Oh wait, science gave you a house that doesn't fall into pieces when there's an earthquake.
Building a hut doesn't have anything to do with math. Indigenous people do that all the time. Ask them what is 2 + 2 and they'll give you 5 (you decide the puns!). Do they give a fuck about who won the Nobel prize this year? No.


Stop acting like Mr. Know-it-all, shut up, wake the fuck up and see the real problems. Thank you

I think the real problem is I talked about 2 structures: a modern westernized building (the ones we own and love) and a hut, while saying óne of them was probably made by science (implying the other wasn't), and you think I was talking about the hut. That is nothing short of absolutely retarded.


Besides, after a while you seek education, it doesn't seek you. So to cynically point out that the system is somewhat rigid, is to blindly defy the fact that such a system is, above all, one hell of a luxury.
OF COURSE, Capt. Obvious! Hey asshole, we are not 'blindly' bashing the educations we get/got. In fact if you read the previous posts, every one was saying what is useful and what is use less. Read before posting, for fuck sake.

You really are. I replied to a post which cynically pointed out a lot of knowledge will go to waste, thus making the system far less efficient. But you have to consider that these sciences, including all sorts of mathematics, are used in a lot of concepts which we indulge in daily. The human brain is unfortunately wired so that we are forgetful of things that haven't crossed our paths in a long time. That is why I came up with the whole 'hunting & skinning' example; as to say that you have to be strictly against applying the knowledge you've learned, if you do not ever use it. And yes, I do get that if you spend most of your time jacking off to hentai and playing videogames that maths will be of little use to you. But that doesn't change the fact that thát would make you a miserable person. That goes for maths aswell as art, or even languages. Of course there is little point in learning Spanish if you do not ever visit foreign countries, but if you have dreams of touring the world including South America, it may be extremely valuable.

You really are bashing the system in this regard, by taking on the attitude that your education did not prepare you for the things you wanted to do. Well in their defence, I wouldn't give 5 year olds the responsibility to know what the fuck they'll need later on in life and, as far as I can see, the system focusses on providing a healthy variety in classes; such as languages, sciences, art and sports, even culture and religion in most cases.

Is this not in any way true? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm not, then you're just another whiney little fuckface who's willing to not only insult me multiple times within the same post, but does it without actually knowing what the fuck he's talking about.

In both instances, fuck you. Because there was no need to act like you hold any sort of high ground over me, simply for stating you're too dumb to know the use of science.


Latest tracks: Sub Marines Chemosound

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Member since: Aug. 30, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 08:37:47 Reply

You are the enemy, you are the enemy, you are the enemy...

The Audio Forum Lounge

Step
Step
  • Member since: Nov. 4, 2007
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 25
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 08:40:48 Reply

I disagree, la-yinn, but at this point any further action will start massive posts of debating in a place where good humour and cock discussions should be abundant, so I won't argue about it.


Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 08:52:40 Reply

At 10/14/12 08:40 AM, Step wrote: I disagree, la-yinn, but at this point any further action will start massive posts of debating in a place where good humour and cock discussions should be abundant, so I won't argue about it.

Oh no probs man, cock jokes and chocolate cake roll quite well with me.

My last post kind of flew out of me after being insulted thrice in one post. I think we both understand the importance of standing up for yourself when insulting posts with little relevancy to what was being said aren't dealt with by the chocolate-covered bancockmuffins.

There, transitioned already!

... those sound tasty...

Latest tracks: Sub Marines Chemosound

dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Member since: Feb. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 15:14:22 Reply

Chocolate Hut

At 10/14/12 08:19 AM, la-yinn wrote: stuff

So your logic is, the hut below needs complex math to build?

It's a hut built with chocolates, look like a cock, needs complex math, and tasty!

Am I a cool kid now for talking about cock with chocolate?

The Audio Forum Lounge


What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 15:25:54 Reply

At 10/14/12 03:14 PM, Computer112 wrote: Chocolate Hut

At 10/14/12 08:19 AM, la-yinn wrote: stuff
So your logic is, the hut below needs complex math to build?

It's a hut built with chocolates, look like a cock, needs complex math, and tasty!

Am I a cool kid now for talking about cock with chocolate?

never enough chocolate


lel

Braiton
Braiton
  • Member since: Dec. 21, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 15:52:37 Reply

At 10/14/12 03:14 PM, Computer112 wrote: Chocolate Hut

At 10/14/12 08:19 AM, la-yinn wrote: stuff
So your logic is, the hut below needs complex math to build?

It's a hut built with chocolates, look like a cock, needs complex math, and tasty!

Am I a cool kid now for talking about cock with chocolate?

Not enough cock.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 16:07:43 Reply

At 10/14/12 03:52 PM, Braiton wrote:

Not enough cock.

MOOOOOOOOOOOOORE


lel

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Member since: Nov. 17, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to The Audio Forum Lounge 2012-10-14 21:15:04 Reply

At 10/14/12 03:14 PM, Computer112 wrote:
Am I a cool kid now for talking about cock with chocolate?

Yeah, it will definitely open some opportunities for you 'round these parts.


Latest tracks: Sub Marines Chemosound