Be a Supporter!

The GameOver Thinker

  • 11,281 Views
  • 205 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-07-29 13:03:14 Reply

The GameOver Thinker was at the annual ScrewAttack Gaming Convention (SGC) in the beginning of July, and one of the users took the liberty of recording his live panel. It was mostly just a Q&A about a bunch of different topics. Definitely worth watching if you're a fan of this man.

Part 1

Part 2


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-05 13:30:40 Reply

This forum can be kind of lame about what threads die and which are popular. So I'm gonna leave this link up here.

By following that link you can see the newest GameOver Thinker episodes on Screwattack. But to see any episodes before the 30th, you'd have to go to his youtube profile.

Of course, I still will be updating this thread upon each new episode.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 02:45:33 Reply

I don't see the appeal.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 11:05:46 Reply

At 8/6/10 02:45 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I don't see the appeal.

It's simple, sire. His goal isn't entertainment. His goal is to get the gaming community thinking on complex levels about simple or already complex topics. The politics of video games. Realism in video games. Video game violence and what it does NOT do to our youth. He's an inspiration to all opinionated internet jackasses, and achieved moderate fame on the level of BrentalFloss thanks to his fans, and only his fans.

At 8/6/10 02:07 AM, The777Demon wrote: I remember seeing his rant about realism in videogames. Very valid stuff in my opinion.

But I still don't understand his segment on "The Uncanny Valley". There's supposed to be a border between the high and low points of the valley, but how does that apply to realistic video games? One scenario is where you can clearly point out the unrealistic concepts of a realistic-looking game (like requiring a key for a door that you for some reason can't blown down with your vast array of weapons. But the other side of the valley is all about "perfected" realism. It's not only real, it's "better" than real. Perhaps that applies to a game like Call of Duty? In that game, you're an unfeeling super soldier who can take multiple bullets and hand them out with just as much fenise. And a single slash of the knife carries the power of a bullet of any caliber. When applied to the concept of robots, this side of the valley is when a robot is not hindered by human emotions, and likely sports superhuman abilities or super intelligence. When applied to video games, it's all about the way we interact with the realistic, simulated world. How we can survive falls of great heights and surpass any scenario.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 12:12:38 Reply

At 8/6/10 11:05 AM, Gustavos wrote: It's simple, sire. His goal isn't entertainment. His goal is to get the gaming community thinking on complex levels about simple or already complex topics. The politics of video games. Realism in video games. Video game violence and what it does NOT do to our youth. He's an inspiration to all opinionated internet jackasses, and achieved moderate fame on the level of BrentalFloss thanks to his fans, and only his fans.

But his opinions aren't doing anything and the only difference between his and everyone else's is that they're on video with an annoying nerdy voice. Imagine a stereotypical Star Trek fan ranting on the series. That's what he sounds like.

He's an egotistical fuck who think's he's special for making nonsensical boring videos. (Seriously, every video starts off with a topic and later he's talking about shit that has nothing to do with anything) That's what I got from it.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 13:54:52 Reply

At 8/6/10 12:12 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote:
But his opinions aren't doing anything and the only difference between his and everyone else's is that they're on video with an annoying nerdy voice. Imagine a stereotypical Star Trek fan ranting on the series. That's what he sounds like.

Well, he is a nerd. What voice were you expecting? Egoraptor? Maybe David Hayter? Hey, at least he doesn't revert to his Brooklyn dialect. That's only when he's severely pissed off.

He's an egotistical fuck who think's he's special for making nonsensical boring videos.

Now this is a bit much. An opinion is an opinion. But to have such a negative look on somebody, in such an unprovoked manner, doesn't show off what kind of balls you have. Or maybe your parents never washed your mouth out with soap. Whatever the scenario is, I advise you to fix that.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 14:06:31 Reply

At 8/6/10 01:54 PM, Gustavos wrote: Well, he is a nerd. What voice were you expecting? Egoraptor? Maybe David Hayter? Hey, at least he doesn't revert to his Brooklyn dialect. That's only when he's severely pissed off.

That doesn't justify his voice being annoying.

Now this is a bit much. An opinion is an opinion. But to have such a negative look on somebody, in such an unprovoked manner, doesn't show off what kind of balls you have. Or maybe your parents never washed your mouth out with soap. Whatever the scenario is, I advise you to fix that.

You can curse on the internet, you know. You're not any more mature for not doing so. I just hate pointless arguments that nobody really wants to listen to, even if I do it sometimes I don't try to make a name for myself doing so.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 18:17:57 Reply

At 8/6/10 02:06 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: You can curse on the internet, you know. You're not any more mature for not doing so. I just hate pointless arguments that nobody really wants to listen to, even if I do it sometimes I don't try to make a name for myself doing so.

Actually Blaze, both you and The GameOver Thinker have a lot in common. You both have strong opinions about video games and they're effect as a whole and you both like to share your opinions. He just prefers to share his opinion through the video format.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Maverick-Alex
Maverick-Alex
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 18:23:00 Reply

He might be slightly annoying when he gets on his high horse, but still has some good and valid points. Like that realism one, and other stuff, like games being simple, yet entertaining while not being blockbusters.

Androu1
Androu1
  • Member since: Oct. 1, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-06 19:38:22 Reply

I haven't really seen much, but he should make a video about how reviews are fucking bullshit because retards think that a game that gets a score below 7 in most "big gaming sites" is a fucking piece of shit.

Which is bullshit.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 13:56:14 Reply

Volume 39: The Emporor Has No Clothes

The GameOver Thinker was never a fan of Sony. Probably just because of the Madden boom and the high price tag of the PS3. But he thinks long and hard about Sony's success with the Playstations and realized they are possibly the luckiest company in the history of the industry. The era of the Playstations being at the top was a strange time. The OverThinker gives us a quick rundown of what happened during those 10 years. He Concludes that Sony may definitely be the first one out of the industry. Of course we'll be seeing a PS4 in the future, though perhaps not with that name. But unless Sony steps up their game, it may be their last console.

It's a nice episode and an interesting topic to consider. Was Sony's success in the fifth AND sixth generations really a fluke?


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Maverick-Alex
Maverick-Alex
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 20:06:45 Reply

I think he picked the wrong time to complain about sony, they are getting their shit together.

Salnax
Salnax
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Gamer
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 20:45:39 Reply

Episode 39 was the best episode he's made in a while, despite the nature footage. At very least, he combines a bit of history and an interesting theory.

3Dspecs
3Dspecs
  • Member since: Jul. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 20:48:41 Reply

At 8/20/10 08:06 PM, Maverick-Alex wrote: I think he picked the wrong time to complain about sony, they are getting their shit together.

hes not complaining about them. Hes asking were they just lucky. Pay more attention.


BBS Signature
Maverick-Alex
Maverick-Alex
  • Member since: Dec. 27, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 21:00:24 Reply

At 8/20/10 08:48 PM, 3Dspecs wrote:
At 8/20/10 08:06 PM, Maverick-Alex wrote: I think he picked the wrong time to complain about sony, they are getting their shit together.
hes not complaining about them. Hes asking were they just lucky. Pay more attention.

Except he's doing it half of the video. Pay more attention. He made a bunch of quips about how much Sony doesn't know how to handle videogames (Your Mileague Might Vary), to flat out saying that the console war was Nintendo vs Microsoft only, despite the fact that Microsoft is also fairly recent to the console business.

They got lucky yes, but that doesn't necessarily means the don't know what they are doing.

If any of the consoles is tepid right now is the Xbox 360.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 21:46:43 Reply

At 8/20/10 09:00 PM, Maverick-Alex wrote:
At 8/20/10 08:48 PM, 3Dspecs wrote: hes not complaining about them. Hes asking were they just lucky. Pay more attention.
Except he's doing it half of the video. Pay more attention. He made a bunch of quips about how much Sony doesn't know how to handle videogames (Your Mileague Might Vary), to flat out saying that the console war was Nintendo vs Microsoft only, despite the fact that Microsoft is also fairly recent to the console business.

Neither of you were paying attention. He made quips about how Sony didn't know how to run their game division in the past. Never blatantly saying they're still noobs today. And his closing statement was that he's expecting the NEXT console war to be about Nintendo vs. Microsoft. But in his vision, the Playstations are dead at that time. Not an impossible idea, but certainly unlikely. Microsoft and Sony are in this industry for however long they feel like paying for.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

3Dspecs
3Dspecs
  • Member since: Jul. 22, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-20 23:19:26 Reply

At 8/20/10 09:00 PM, Maverick-Alex wrote: Except he's doing it half of the video. Pay more attention. He made a bunch of quips about how much Sony doesn't know how to handle videogames (Your Mileague Might Vary), to flat out saying that the console war was Nintendo vs Microsoft only, despite the fact that Microsoft is also fairly recent to the console business.

Pay more attention.


BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-21 19:54:14 Reply

At 8/21/10 02:46 PM, ScaryPicnic wrote: This guy is a tit.

I assume this is an insult, yes?

He seriously angers me, not least because some of the things he says actually make sense and are worth listening to, but for every good idea there are five mouthfuls of biast,

Just letting you know, the real spelling of "biast" is "bias". Notice how when you write "bias", there's no red squiggly lines under it. Depending on your browser of course.

nonsensical crap splurging out of his chattering mouth. I do mean biast; he cackles at the blind Halo/Call of Duty/Gears of War fan-boys, while wearing 5 inch thick nostalgia goggles, failing to realise he's just as blindly biast torwards Nintendo, for the fact alone that he grew up playing their games. If you're going to comment on the entire industry, massively favouring one company sours the outlook.

This is interesting here. The GameOver Thinker has claimed years ago that he didn't have a PS3 because of its price tag, and likely, that hasn't changed. He has to have an Xbox 360, because how else can he rent MW2 and play Bioshock before the game came out on PS3? So basically, he's checked out most of the modern games in today's industry. He's no stranger to the idea that Nintendo doesn't hold every single great game.

Not only that, but he's in at least his late 20s. Growing up in generations most of us weren't around for. He was in college during the time Sony and Microsoft became big in the industry, and hardly made time for Nintendo in general besides a GBA he carried. When he came back to video games years later, no doubt he was still faithful to Nintendo upon return. But it was his position that allowed him to see if Microsoft and Sony's consoles were truly any good. If you ask me, this man has to be as unbiased as he could get. And to knock somebody down for being a nostalgia fag is kind of cheap. With the way he said SMB3 was his favorite game, it almost sounded like he didn't want to consider which of the hundreds of games he's ever played gave him the most enjoyment, so he just answered with the first phenomenal game to come to mind. Which is funny, because that's the same mindset I have when I say Super Mario 64 was the best game ever. I know people won't agree with me, but it's still a valid opinion.

This is the same guy who said LittleBigPlanet was rubbish, even though he's never played it (or reads the reviews, it seems) because in his view it 'didn't have an audience'.

Let's have an open mind here. And open ears while we're at it. This is the episode where he mentions LBP. Actually, you don't even have to watch it. I'll just quote the video's description:

"Little Big Planet' was supposed to be the masterpiece that turned things around for the PS3... turns out they only got the masterpiece part right. Was this an unfortunate fluke, or a symptom of something bigger and more troubling?"

He thinks Super Mario Bros. 3 is a work of art (pity him), and detests the unoriginality of the industry, while relishing the fact that Nintendo is releasing new editions of the same franchises they've been releasing for years on end with little change or innovation.

Please start this episode at 9:05.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-22 00:56:37 Reply

One thing caught my eye in this most recent episode: HE USED A FAKE POKÉMON GAME! His Pokémon picture at 10:56 was of a bootleg, not an official release. Jeez, I know he doesn't "get" Pokémon, but he should check before using a picture of a total fake like Pokémon Jade (a badly "translated" version of Keitai Denj%u016B Telefang, which never got an official export outside Japan). I might be obsessing here, but I like Overthinker. I don't want my "like" to be broken by "Wow, this man refuses to do the research". Maybe I'm just obsessive about spotting fakes though.

Other than his somehow managing to use a fake game out of a franchise that is behind only Mario himself in "official" sales (if even that, I might be using stats from before HGSS), this was a really good episode. Not just because he predicts the fall of Sony, leading to a real "good guy vs. bad guy" console war, instead of "near-indistinguishable villain fight with the good guy on the outside" like this generation would have been without the Wii or the "good guy uses an insane strategy to send both baddies crying home to their mommies" like it actually turned out. Not just because of the thought of Godzilla beating up on Hello Kitty and a couch, which is hilarious in its absurdity, to the point where I can't stop laughing, imagining "Godzilla vs. Couch" as a huge boxing match, or even dumber and more absurd (and thus hilarious), a WWE exhibition. No, I love the history, even though I knew a good share of it. I'm just that kind of guy. I like getting a good look at the backstory. I obsess about it almost like I obsess about spotting fakes: I could quicker tell you the backstory of any old-school Mortal Kombat character than name any of their Fatalities. I'm a geeky trivia buff, and this shit is right up my alley.

Samen
Samen
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-22 01:02:09 Reply

At 8/22/10 12:56 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote: One thing caught my eye in this most recent episode: HE USED A FAKE POKÉMON GAME! His Pokémon picture at 10:56 was of a bootleg, not an official release. Jeez, I know he doesn't "get" Pokémon, but he should check before using a picture of a total fake like Pokémon Jade (a badly "translated" version of Keitai Denj%u016B Telefang, which never got an official export outside Japan). I might be obsessing here, but I like Overthinker. I don't want my "like" to be broken by "Wow, this man refuses to do the research". Maybe I'm just obsessive about spotting fakes though.

Weird, I noticed that but all I thought was that that was a really new game. I noticed that I'd never seen that Pokemon before, too.
But you can't expect the guy to run full background checks on every image his uses in a video, he goes through dozens each episode. He probably just glanced at it and thought it was Pokemon Emerald or something.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-08-26 22:03:46 Reply

The GameOver Thinker vs. The GameUnder Thinker

I was browsing Screwattack's SGC videos and came across a little treat. Apparently The GameOver Thinker did more than a live panel. In this particular video, he is pitted into a debate, much like what presidential candidates do before elections, against an unheard of, and even more overweight video game idealist dubbed "The GameUnder Thinker". The debate spans multiple topics of mainstream media, not just video games, and really shows us what kind of people these men are. Also, it's nice to see the Overthinker debating with somebody rather than talking about a topic and we just cheer him on.

Oh, and if it wasn't totally apparent, this video is a comedy. Yes.

I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-19 23:34:43 Reply

Episode 40: Heavens to Metroid

Now this is one that hits in my territory. I'm a big fan of games going further and further into the realm of "story", or at least of existing and long-running hardcore series going that way (potential bridges between casual and hardcore, not so much). So when people are bitching about Samus actually having character and showing a certain amount of respect to her commanding officer (who happens to be a man) and turning off her equipment until he says she can use it (military protocol, people), I don't really get it. So it conflicts with your previous ideas about what a formerly non-characterized player avatar was behind the bulky suit of space armor. So she has some troubles, some doubts, you would too if a giant space pterodactyl ate your entire family in front of you when you were three and alien birds subsequently adopted you as one of their own. That doesn't automatically make her a wimpy female stereotype on par with the worst interpretations of Princess Peach (and even then, see Episode 2).

Of particular interest are Strawman's comments about Japan. Now, I'm not a weeaboo in most cases anymore, I watch Iron Chef America and don't care to see the Japanese original, I'm not even really into anime anymore. Video games are the exception, because it's difficult to find a non-Japanese series with good enough gameplay that I can get into it, much less enough story for me to get particularly excited. Assassin's Creed, and that's about it. Maybe Mortal Kombat, for nostalgia's sake. I've gotta wonder where the anti-Japan sentiment comes from that I saw on 4chan's /v/ before I could avoid it and still get my fix on /vp/. Maybe it's that insecurity Overthinker mentioned in Episode 1: Japan makes games that look colorful and pretty, or at least not GRIMDARKFEST 2010 where every single thing is either brown, gray, or blowing up, every man looks like a steroid user, and every woman is, uh, nonexistent. The Sons of the Master Chief want nothing to do with that, because fellow Haloists might see that they have achievements in something that isn't an FPS or sports game and brand them as "gay".

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 00:21:56 Reply

At 9/19/10 11:34 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote: Episode 40: Heavens to Metroid

Damnit! You posted this just four minutes before I finished watching it. I must be getting pretty slow on the draw. Though I have to say, with the release of Other M, I was actually expecting the next episode to talk about it, and was moderately pleased that I got what I was hoping for. I was anticipating this game since the night it was announced on E3 2009. And although I don't currently own the game, I still anticipate the day where I can properly rent/buy it.


Of particular interest are Strawman's comments about Japan.

Speaking of which, I think we should all welcome this new side character to the series. To properly explain the viewpoints of the people OverThinker is basing his arguments against. Whatever happenned to that hamster? He no longer has to stay under the 10 minute video limit now that he uploads on Screwattack, so it would be unnecesary, but I kinda miss him.

Now, I'm not a weeaboo in most cases anymore, I watch Iron Chef America

hahahahaha

Anyway, I always wanted to join in on the arguments on this game. Mainly to protect it. But I couldn't. Due to lack of playing the game. So I'm glad Overthinker went ahead and did it so I can then link this episode when the argument springs up again. Though I kinda wish he'd someday make an episode about a topic where I don't agree with his viewpoint.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Yorik
Yorik
  • Member since: Jul. 12, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 01:08:18 Reply

Has anyone pointed out that it's "Game Overthinker," not "Gameover Thinker?"

Samen
Samen
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 01:09:39 Reply

At 9/19/10 11:34 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote: So she has some troubles, some doubts, you would too if a giant space pterodactyl ate your entire family in front of you when you were three and alien birds subsequently adopted you as one of their own.

I'm pretty sure if that ever happened to me I'd just give the fuck up and stop trying. The fact that she's still walking around, in good health, and in the military no less is probably the strongest statement about the character a Metroid game could make.

At 9/20/10 12:21 AM, Gustavos wrote:
At 9/19/10 11:34 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote: Of particular interest are Strawman's comments about Japan.
Speaking of which, I think we should all welcome this new side character to the series.

Strawman bugs the crap out of me because he used them to present an argument he felt to be invalid, rather than to present a true Strawman Argument against The Other M.
Though he does come pretty close.

Anyways I felt it was strange that he spends the whole time explaining in detail why the character development in the game wasn't necessarily bad, but then just tacks on, "oh and the controls are good and it's okay that the story is short" without really defending or explaining those positions.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 23:01:35 Reply

At 8/20/10 01:56 PM, Gustavos wrote: Volume 39: The Emporor Has No Clothes

What gets me is when he talked about the Sony Playstation in a previous episode. When people were saying the Nintendo Wii is the end of gaming and as a gamer he knew "when the world ended the first time" bullshit when the Playstation 1 was released.

Sony was looking behind gamers at an untapped market, people who didn't play video games and brought them in... so therefore Sony does know what it's doing.

Yet in this episode he claims Sony is just lucky? That's a bit of a stretch considering they knew how to sell the PS2. Yeah they kind of fucked up on the PS3 with it's price tag, but that price tag has been cut down, also the fact that it plays Blu-Ray's as well as your PS3 games and there are games coming out for the PS3 that people would want and there is a nice library to boot. Yeah I can see the PS3 still selling around the holiday season.

Also don't think of me as a Sony fanboy defending Sony here. Believe me I'm as much as a Nintendo fanboy as the Game Overthinker (I have the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii), but to say one thing and then say they got lucky is a bit bullshit if you ask me.


| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 23:09:46 Reply

At 9/20/10 01:08 AM, Yorik wrote: Has anyone pointed out that it's "Game Overthinker," not "Gameover Thinker?"

You're absolutely right. Though I have faint memories of it being spelled the other way back when he was only on Youtube, his series is, in fact, spelt "Game Overthinker". Which grammatically makes more sense consider "game over" is two words. And "Overthinker", is a term for somebody who thinks too much into things. I dunno. I'd still spell it the incorrect way because I have a strange tendency to type how I speak. And "GameOver Thinker", with a pause between those two words, rolls off the tongue a bit more.

Anyway, I feel now is a good time to post a link that some of us may not have seen. Moviebob's adventures in Escapistmagazine. Ever wondered why it takes this guy so long to come up with Overthinker episodes? Besides the usual work and social life excuses? Moviebob updates weekly on Escapist with a new movie review, and usually a new article pertaining to the Film Industry, and occasional nods towards other medias when he feels it's appropriate. Remember, he was known as "MovieBob" before being known as "Game Overthinker". On Youtube, that is. And he became a part of Escapist before becoming a part of screwattack. This guy gets around!

Want a sample?

Moviebob hypothesizes that the era of geeks dominating most of the film industry, may be coming to its end. Or maybe not. It's up for speculation.

Anyway, his profile page will allow you to cycle through his articles where he expresses some thoughts he and his movie reviews (containing no spoilers). I don't know if it's appropriate to post new Moviebob content in this thread (Same person, different name), or if it even deserves its own thread to be updated weekly (eh, I'll do it, but I was never any movie buff). I'll just leave those links here so people can see for themselves if they're truly interested.

Have fun!


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-20 23:26:21 Reply

At 9/20/10 11:01 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 8/20/10 01:56 PM, Gustavos wrote: Volume 39: The Emporor Has No Clothes
What gets me is when he talked about the Sony Playstation in a previous episode. When people were saying the Nintendo Wii is the end of gaming and as a gamer he knew "when the world ended the first time" bullshit when the Playstation 1 was released.

Except, back then, there was no internet for people to spew bullshit propaganda over.

Sony was looking behind gamers at an untapped market, people who didn't play video games and brought them in... so therefore Sony does know what it's doing.

Yet in this episode he claims Sony is just lucky? That's a bit of a stretch considering they knew how to sell the PS2.

I guess you could say the idea just came to him. Really has anybody ever wondered how or why Sony came in this industry, and got so successful under everybody's noses?

Well, I didn't. I was a Playstation 1 kid as well as a N64 kid. And my concerns only lay in my Spyros and my Marios.

Third-party support, mate. The PS1 statistically made more money than the Nintendo 64. By catching developers like SquareSoft on the rebound, riding on the 3-Dimensional gaming train, and making a console that had games MADE TO APPEAL TOWARDS AMERICANS. I'm talking of course, about Madden. The PS2 basically built around all that, and was a main supporter for the rise of the FPS genre, and the rise of games not made by big companies like Konami, Sega, and Capcom. Playstation, unsurprisingly, came out on top yet again last generation. And the lack of oxygen they got riding on their high horses finally went to their heads once the current gen was on its way. They thought it was acceptable to sell a console for an ungodly price with not very many games coming out within the first few months.

There was never such a thing as a Sony-made game. Nintendo is the only company with "first-party titles". Or First-party support for that matter, but that there would just be my opinion.

Yeah they kind of fucked up on the PS3 with it's price tag, but that price tag has been cut down,

And it only took nearly four years!

also the fact that it plays Blu-Ray's as well as your PS3 games

You may disregard my view on this because I'm no movie expert, but I feel it's safe to say NOBODY was asking for blu-ray to overcome DVDs. Some people still have VCRs in their homes, mind you.

Ours is broken. :(
and there are games coming out for the PS3 that people would want and there is a nice library to boot. Yeah I can see the PS3 still selling around the holiday season.

This coming holiday? Nah, this year is hereby dominated by Halo Reach.


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-30 00:13:38 Reply

You know, I've liked the Overthinker for a few months now, but it's only been the last two, three days where I've realized how right the man really was. See, while I certainly liked his videos, with their mix of some insight about gaming, a bit of humor, and a perspective not entirely different from my own, it's only in the last few days that I came to recognize that his story is a lot like my story.

It started the other day with the fake Apokélypse trailer. Any of you interested have already seen it: a darker reinterpretation of Pokémon made as a parody of similarly dark reinterpretations of other game franchises. The tradition goes back to the, ah, less-than-stellar Super Mario Bros. movie, but the most recent one that caught my eye was that Mortal Kombat pitch trailer a few months back. I watched it, I laughed at the absurdity of trying to inject grimdark into a series so thoroughly divorced from reality and so reliant on cuteness for a share of its appeal, I went back to the thread on 4chan that linked to it. And some people were talking about how they'd love to see a full movie go in that direction. Now let me tell ya something: I was a real Mortal Kombat fan for maybe two, three years in the mid-90s before losing some of my general interest in fighters for a while, and I didn't like that pitch trailer when it came out, even for a series that had plenty of darkness and blood and killing already. I was a fan of Pokémon for going on five years before my interests shifted. Even once I ceased being a fan, I still semi-enjoyed a period with my cousin's stepson's copy of FireRed on a vacation in 2006 and picked up Emerald late that year/early the next, much more involvement that I had in my period away from MK. I watched the anime during its 10th anniversary marathon on Cartoon Network, or at least a few episodes and Destiny Deoxys. All this while thinking it jumped the Sharpedo the moment it introduced him. Then I came back this last spring and found how stupidly wrong I had been, and it was a moment of pure childlike and nostalgic joy the moment I grabbed SoulSilver and found Johto as I knew it, but better. So people wanting my childhood memories to get dark? Let's say it wouldn't pass without comment. So I wrote and posted a reply talking about how our childhood fortresses and treehouses are bulldozed to make parking lots and strip malls, how rule 34 has made every innocent childhood memory into a pornographic comic or five, blah blah blah that sort of thing, and how this one treehouse should remain where it was, worthy of what it used to be, so that when the office buildings and parking lots and strip malls of the adult world or their counterparts in colleges or unemployment or whatever got us down, we'd have at least one place left to hide, one place where we knew what was happening, where we were really in control.

So I posted that comment, and then I looked it over and realized: that was Episode 7. Granted it was on a series that Overthinker never "got", but the Fortress of Nintendo standing tall, protecting childhood memories, it remains the same. Nintendo continued to protect his childhood in some little corner of the culture, and it continued to build other memories, in other people like me. And now I found myself almost a soldier, defending the fort, protecting those memories of mine from a world (OK, an imageboard) that would break them. I chuckled a bit and moved on with a smile, knowing that, at least for now, Nintendo would not fall.

And then this. An interview with Satoru Iwata, mostly about the 3DS. It's a long interview, but only maybe the first five minutes, where he talks about the release of Black and White and mentions the demographics that picked up D/P versus HG/SS, matter for this. Based on Club Nintendo signups from each game, it was figured out that D/P was mostly picked up by elementary schoolers. That's only natural: older players like me had supposedly graduated out of the series after hitting high school. What was surprising was that HG/SS had a different story to tell. A significant percentage of the Club Nintendo signups were from people ages 19-25 (full disclosure: I was 19 at the time of American release). People who would probably have started with Generation 1, and who would have gone in for Generation 2 when it came out. Iwata made the comment that the trend is continuing and driving B/W's success as one of the fastest sellers in Japanese video game history.

In light of the events a few days ago involving Episode 7 and Apokélypse, my mind immediately notied some parallels with another Overthinker episode. Episode 3: A Kirby Confession, about how the Overthinker wrote off Kirby as "gay" while he was in high school. It came to me that while it wasn't the exact same (I'd been a fan of Pokémon as a kid, while he had already been a teenager when Kirby came into his life, and he took much longer to get into it than I took to get back to Pokémon), the theme of "Rejecting something you'd otherwise like because you're a teenage douchebag" remains, and the theme of "finding it once those teenage douchebag years are over" remains as well. He took so long to get over image-conscious gaming, to hear him tell it, because he drifted away from the hobby in college. But in part because of his videos, and because of a particularly nostalgia-ridden Saturday that involved the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, an old Transformers toy, and of course Pokémon, and maybe even because my "break" from gaming was during the days of douchebaggery instead of just after them, I got over my douchbaggery much faster.

I honestly don't know why I'm posting this now. But it came to me as a pleasant surprise that people had lived similar stories before I did. And out there, in the world? There's countless others like me. Like Iwata said, a lot of fans my age came back to Pokémon because of HG/SS. How many older fans were brought back by New Super Mario Bros. on DS and Wii? How many who were kids not too long ago saw the Super Mario 64 remake when the DS came out and picked it up for nostalgia, and it propelled them back into the hobby or the fandom? And how many people who abandoned gaming shortly after Ocarina of Time are going to see the 3DS remake and get that 3DS because of it? I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm not alone, for once. And it feels good.

Gustavos
Gustavos
  • Member since: Jun. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to The GameOver Thinker 2010-09-30 19:56:37 Reply

At 9/30/10 12:13 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote: You know, I've liked the Overthinker for a few months now, but it's only been the last two, three days where I've realized how right the man really was.

Maybe a bit TOO right. I think he's a witch. Should we push him off a cliff, or drown him in a pond?


It started the other day with the fake Apokélypse trailer. Any of you interested have already seen it: a darker reinterpretation of Pokémon made as a parody of similarly dark reinterpretations of other game franchises.

I swear, that trailer was one of the funniest things I've seen all month. And I think I once heard it's a trailer to a real, fan-made movie. Which I'd be down to see. I love it when people do this kind of crap. Even the low-budget stuff.

The tradition goes back to the, ah, less-than-stellar Super Mario Bros. movie,

I actually enjoyed this movie when I was young. Not sure why. I must've been glad that I got a proper story behind Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on my Gameboy Color. I have always been convinced that Mario and Luigi were two working class plumbers from Brooklyn.

I watched the anime during its 10th anniversary marathon on Cartoon Network, or at least a few episodes and Destiny Deoxys. All this while thinking it jumped the Sharpedo the moment it introduced him.

That May bitch will never replace Misty. Never.

Then I came back this last spring and found how stupidly wrong I had been, and it was a moment of pure childlike and nostalgic joy the moment I grabbed SoulSilver and found Johto as I knew it, but better.

I remember immediately working my magic from the beginning of the game. Picking up my favorite pokemon as a kid, just for the hell of it. A Mareep, Ekans, and a Spinarak to name a few. It almost didn't matter that there were better pokemon out there. These were MY memories. Moderately enhanced with new attacks and possibilities.

So I wrote and posted a reply talking about how our childhood fortresses and treehouses are bulldozed to make parking lots and strip malls,

I swear I read Moviebob say something similar about a sand lot he played on as a kid. In one of his articles on The Escapist. The one that I linked earlier in this thread, probably.

how rule 34 has made every innocent childhood memory into a pornographic comic or five,

"There's no way that there's porn of everything out there.", I thought in my 13 year old mind. I was proven wrong. :(

So I posted that comment, and then I looked it over and realized: that was Episode 7.

The Nintendo fanboy in me was crying tears of joy in that episode.


And then this. An interview with Satoru Iwata, mostly about the 3DS. It's a long interview, but only maybe the first five minutes, where he talks about the release of Black and White and mentions the demographics that picked up D/P versus HG/SS, matter for this. Based on Club Nintendo signups from each game, it was figured out that D/P was mostly picked up by elementary schoolers. That's only natural: older players like me had supposedly graduated out of the series after hitting high school. What was surprising was that HG/SS had a different story to tell. A significant percentage of the Club Nintendo signups were from people ages 19-25 (full disclosure: I was 19 at the time of American release). People who would probably have started with Generation 1, and who would have gone in for Generation 2 when it came out. Iwata made the comment that the trend is continuing and driving B/W's success as one of the fastest sellers in Japanese video game history.

Now this is what I like to hear. First is how Nintendo is looking at the age of the demographics buying their software. Second is how they see that fans are willing to come back to a series with a little motivation. I mean, sure. Remake a game that's nearly a decade old. What a cheap move, right? But how often do you find developers catering specifically to the old fans, in a way that allows the new kids a chance at playing along as well? At my High School, I would look out at our lunch time to see as many as over a dozen kids at once connecting pokewalkers and battling each other on their DSs. I, of course, joined in on the fun. It was the first time since really the second grade for me, where students had such a great interest in these almost addicting RPG games. Incidentally, that was also the same time we were all playing Gold and Silver.


I honestly don't know why I'm posting this now. But it came to me as a pleasant surprise that people had lived similar stories before I did. And out there, in the world? There's countless others like me.

Moar Sole-mastahs? Where were they during our game of Crusades, damn it?

Like Iwata said, a lot of fans my age came back to Pokémon because of HG/SS.

GameFreak has claimed that B/W is supposed to be much like our first Pokemon adventure. I'd like to know how they could pull that off. Without spoiling too much, that is. I respectfully avoided the new pokedex article, and all new information on the game. I'm willing to give them the chance to wow me the same way Yellow version wowed me at age 6. And if they fail? I'll still have a new game that is supposed to be damn near amazing in its own right.

How many older fans were brought back by New Super Mario Bros. on DS and Wii?

DS certainly brought me back. But NSMB Wii came around after I downloaded SMB 3 and SMW on Virtual Console. Still though, I had some fun with the game's coop feature.

How many who were kids not too long ago saw the Super Mario 64 remake when the DS came out and picked it up for nostalgia, and it propelled them back into the hobby or the fandom?

*raises hand

But I never quit video games altogether, at any point in my life.

And how many people who abandoned gaming shortly after Ocarina of Time are going to see the 3DS remake and get that 3DS because of it?

When I get the 3DS, perhaps on the first price drop, it'll mainly be because of Paper Mario 3D. It's not another Super Paper Mario, which is Nintendo answering one of my old prayers. And take away the "D", and the title becomes Paper Mario 3. Hell Yeah.

Oh, and the Kid Icarus game looks badass, and there's a Resi game I should pick up at some point. Unless there's something totally new or awesome about OoT3D, I'll probably skip it. I've played and replayed that game way too much.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm not alone, for once. And it feels good.

I could never believe there are people just like me. That's just too farfetched. But there are always people similar to you. In their hobbies, in their opinions, and in their minds. They're the kind of people who instantly became your friend in reality. In school and college, they're the guys who take the same, optional classes that you did, or the same clubs. Or just the guy that dressed up as Mario on Halloween when you dressed as Luigi.

pic related.

The GameOver Thinker


I usually frequent the VG and collaboration Forums. If you find me anywhere else, I'm lost and can't find my way back.