00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

orafice13 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Audio portal Overhaul needed?

1,477 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Audio portal Overhaul needed? 2009-01-19 15:29:13

I was just searching on the audio portal, and i have to say... it's great. It really is.

But here is the problem... when you're looking for a song to use in your work, you cant use "any" song... so when you apply that in the audio portal, you just ha ev to keep scrooling and clicking until you basicly get lucky and find YOUR song.

The reason i belive for that, is that, the audio portal has goten too big for it's current Archive style. Sure, the music is classified by styles... but that is as broad as the flash portal bein classified as "Action" "Comedy" "Drama" and "Games" and nothing else...

So, one way i belive it would work to improve the Audio Portal would be to add something like a "tag cloud" systema. Where the author could associate keywords to it's creation. Anything he sees fit, like "mario" or "snes" or just "background". But also, the author should have the option to allow (or not) the users to edit those tags, to improve it under user experience.

So, if i'm looking for musics for my video, i would have the option to search on the categories that NG gives me, or just type something like "Background" to find all sorts of creations that people think would make good background music... it gives a wider choice with a narrower scope, and i belive it would make people use the audio portal even more, and good artists would be brought to light more often.

What you guys think?

Response to Audio portal Overhaul needed? 2009-01-19 15:36:25

At 1/19/09 03:29 PM, RicardoAraujo wrote: I was just searching on the audio portal, and i have to say... it's great. It really is.

But here is the problem... when you're looking for a song to use in your work, you cant use "any" song... so when you apply that in the audio portal, you just ha ev to keep scrooling and clicking until you basicly get lucky and find YOUR song.

The reason i belive for that, is that, the audio portal has goten too big for it's current Archive style. Sure, the music is classified by styles... but that is as broad as the flash portal bein classified as "Action" "Comedy" "Drama" and "Games" and nothing else...

So, one way i belive it would work to improve the Audio Portal would be to add something like a "tag cloud" systema. Where the author could associate keywords to it's creation. Anything he sees fit, like "mario" or "snes" or just "background". But also, the author should have the option to allow (or not) the users to edit those tags, to improve it under user experience.

So, if i'm looking for musics for my video, i would have the option to search on the categories that NG gives me, or just type something like "Background" to find all sorts of creations that people think would make good background music... it gives a wider choice with a narrower scope, and i belive it would make people use the audio portal even more, and good artists would be brought to light more often.

What you guys think?

First off, i believe there is a thread for this already, but I'm not sure what it was called, but anyways...

Its not a horrible idea, however, allowing other users to edit the tags would be a disaster, I can already see new tags of "gay, sucks, fuck you, etc.."

it just wouldn't work.

Other than that though, the tags idea isn't bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio portal Overhaul needed? 2009-01-19 15:36:53

That's something for the NG evolution thread. Then again. you could also try this one.

BBS Signature

Response to Audio portal Overhaul needed? 2009-01-19 15:38:35

I can see people making 400 tags for a single song so they get more views.

Also, like you said the audio portal has gotten a lot bigger. The majority of people no longer make music for flash artists to you, but instead for people to listen to. So making the audio portal easier to use for flash artists would be a step down in our eyes.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat