00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Literature Lovers

53,241 Views | 514 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-12 20:46:57

It's a... confusing book. Well, only if you've never really read it. I understand it, because I've been reading it. I can try to break it down as simply as possible without ruining the plot.

A bunch of dragons go around and kill people and burn villagers while trying to dominate the world, and a bunch of other stuff is going on like hot elf sex.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-12 21:07:00

At 2/12/09 08:46 PM, Valjylmyr wrote: It's a... confusing book. Well, only if you've never really read it. I understand it, because I've been reading it. I can try to break it down as simply as possible without ruining the plot.

A bunch of dragons go around and kill people and burn villagers while trying to dominate the world, and a bunch of other stuff is going on like hot elf sex.

That sounds like books i like to read, i might have to pick it up :) (of course its not a good book without hot elf sex!) lol

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-12 21:21:17

Hot elf sex, that sounds like the book for me! lulz. Anyways I am picking back up my 'Steal This Computer Book 4.0'. Its not really a computer manual so it counts as light reading for me.

I am a hacker of a Nu-Aira

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-12 22:01:53

Actually, I just skimmed through it, no elf sex, but there is a silhouette of an elfmaid taking a bath. And there is a "boot scene" (as one of the authors calls it) in there. And make sure, if you do read it, to pick up the one called, "The Annotated Chronicles." It has lots of commentary and concept art that I enjoy.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-13 17:27:32

Wow! A lit club! Sweet! Chugging my way through the bible, Genesis to Revelations. Its a tough read at times, especially when you're an atheist, but it has some REALLY interesting parts. A great piece of literature. Genesis is probably the best of its books for fantasy readers. Its like a quick week long read stuffed full of short stories chronicling a hereditary line of Jews and Heathens. The main criticism I can give it is that Moses didn't really take enough time to explore the feelings and complications felt by the main characters, leaving you feel slightly empty, like missing a great opportunity for a speech from the King of Egypt when he discovers Sarah and Abraham's marriage, but over all it gives a good slice of history for anyone interested in the origin's of modern literature, right up there with The Canterbury tales and Odyssey.

Best be knowin, MoonBurn be postin'.

Download my EP for free RIGHT NOW

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-13 17:49:54

At 2/13/09 05:27 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: Wow! A lit club! Sweet! Chugging my way through the bible, Genesis to Revelations. Its a tough read at times, especially when you're an atheist, but it has some REALLY interesting parts.

I'm an atheist and I read the bible, it wasn't hard! I've also read the Book of Mormon and the dead sea scrolls.

The reason they call it the American dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it

--- George Carlin Z? Z? Question Sleep Z? Z?

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-13 18:09:00

At 2/13/09 05:27 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: The main criticism I can give it is that Moses didn't really take enough time to explore the feelings and complications felt by the main characters

Moses didn't write it. It was passed along vocally for years until someone decided to note it down. Going through lots and lots peoples different versions/poor memory.
Ever played Chinese whispers. That, but for a story.

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy

PSN: Look-a-Hill

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 00:14:26

Someone just showed me this topic and I thank them! Heres a Short Story I wrote:

The topic was about the Military, and I wrote a story about a sniper waiting for his target, hope you enjoy!

Day 26, 1354 hours: I sit upon a fallen tree, observing the point in which I had been informed General Ack'ered was meeting with his supplier of weapons and ammuntion. My spotter, Sergant Colplin, is beginning to doubt the arrival of General Ack'ered. I was starting to think that as well, but I tried to focus on the meeting point.

I have only slept enough hours to total 1 day, and after about a mounth of waiting that isnt much. Colplin and I were running low on food as well, so we have been forced to look for small bushes of berries and maybe catch a rabbit or two for a meal that would have to last a week. We were fortunate in finding a stream about half a mile away. It had been useful for us with our water situtation.

I sat there at the log, peeking through the Steel 1-12x50 Scope attached to my M98A1 Rifle, watching birds. I never realized how majestic they appeared to be, circling and diving out of - what was that? a noise? was I imaging things? I looked over to Colplinand he looked back at me. He had heard it as well. The noise grew louder. At that moment I knew what it was, 4x4 Toyata.

The dealers had arrived. They climb out of the truck and pulled some large crates out the back of the vehicle. I counted all of them, there was 2 armed men with a standered AK-47s. Popular weapon of choice for a 3rd World Country. There was also a man with a SVD. He caught my attention because I knew he could reach me at this distance. Colplin seemed somewhat worried as well. Soon another truck arrived. I knew this was the moment I should check my weapon. The scope was alligned, the safety was off, no mud or any substance on the barrel, I was ready. By this time a man with a long beard was standing in front of the man with the SVD, talking. Colplin then identified him as General Ack'ered. I lined up my shot and waited for the moment to strike. But at that point in time, thought popped into my head that could ruin all of this time sitting here, What if I Miss? All this time wasted...

I tried to ignore that thought as it would make me nervous, therefore increasing my heartrate, and causing the nightmare to arise. The wind died down to about 4 mph. That was fine. I was about to change the war. Either end it or extend it. It was up to me, the fate of this war. I squeezed the trigger, and felt the thunder of the gun shake my bones.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 05:38:37

At 2/13/09 06:09 PM, Nev wrote: Moses didn't write it. It was passed along vocally for years until someone decided to note it down. Going through lots and lots peoples different versions/poor memory.
Ever played Chinese whispers. That, but for a story.

Ahhhhh, that explains it. I swear it says in the king james version that it was scribed by Moses though.

I've been conned.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 09:20:28

At 2/14/09 05:38 AM, AKACCMIOF wrote: Ahhhhh, that explains it. I swear it says in the king james version that it was scribed by Moses though.

I doult Moses could write or read.
The first people who could were Monks I believe.

And I love the way you treat it more as a story, fantastically mocking :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 13:12:40

At 2/13/09 05:27 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: stuff

Welcome to the club it is great to have you. What a great way to read the bible though. Viewing it as a writing of fiction and fantasy. I never thought to take that approach to such a book. Though you will never find me reading the bible.

At 2/14/09 12:14 AM, Marksmen786 wrote: A story

Welcome to the club as well.

Good story, could of used a bit more detail to slow it down though. Other wise it is great and that cliff hanger was well placed.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 16:06:12

At 2/14/09 01:12 PM, djconnect wrote:
At 2/13/09 05:27 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: stuff
A heart warming reply to stuff.

Thanks! The bible is a truly fascinating piece of writing though, not to be knocked, and I honestly think that atheists and theists alike should come to appreciate the best selling book of all time for what it truly is: a book! I mean, there is a reason Guy Montag chose to memorize the book of ecclesiastes! Who can deny that the sermon on the mount is one of the most moving speeches ever? And who could say that the character of Jesus fiction or non, is not a fascinating one? A son carrying out the wishes of his father in a world that hates the heretic, willing to die but not to kill, disillusioned with the entirety of society, Roman and Jew alike. A man willing to give his love to a tax collector a prostitute and an establishment that would make many an attempt on his life, a troubled emperor finally succeeding, but feeling degenerate. As a non-Christian though, I am forced to quote Douglas Adams, "It is perfectly alright to love a garden without believing there are fairies at the bottom of it."

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-14 16:16:56

At 2/14/09 09:20 AM, Nev wrote: I doult Moses could write or read.
The first people who could were Monks I believe.

I think you're right, but wasn't Moses a rabbi?

And I love the way you treat it more as a story, fantastically mocking :P.

Well, thanks! I do so more because thats just all I see it as, brilliant though it is. It being mocking was more or less just a bonus!

<a ppreciation> Thanks for teh compliment! </appreciation >

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 08:02:21

Hello everyone! I just did a quick request for a friend, not quite refined or that, but I was wondering what you thought or could say about the work - critism or that.

'Robert' By Podburrys

The frozen wind whipped past in a strong gust, before again dying to the soft embrace once more. The youth pulled the hoodie again over his head, but wondered why he bothered when it always flew off anyway. He stopped, and rolled up his sleeve to check his small worn watch under one of the many streetlights that dotted the highway. Fuck, 6:12. He was late - again. Muttering, he hurried on along the roadside, eager to not have a harsher penalty. His parents always seemed to blow things way out of proportion; it's not liked he's going to get mugged because he stayed back with Andrew and the boys for another round of Basketball.

Few cars breezed by as the youth trekked the dirty ashphelt path, the rushhour surprisingly dead. He wove amongst the trees as the crooked path curved, exiting onto a more familiar sidewalk. Today had been a good day, he thought to himself. The trials of the year - indeed, High School - were coming to a close in this cool November week, and he considered all that had come and gone through his life. As he walked, his eyes were filled not with the dying auburn hues cast by the setting sun, but of his life the past seven years. Quick, flashing memories as he recounted long gone friends, despised teachers, and lunch time meetings. Girlfriends, assignments, promises, dreams, they all flashed by almost incoherent, unorganized as his mind fluttered from year to year for thoughts. He had not really been aware how much he had lived during all that time, nor would think how much he would in the sprawling future ahead. It was the thoughts of yesterday that drew him into a small self assured smile.

Onwards the lanky teen went, ducking past overgrown branches of unkempt trees, going around the unattended disposal of larger household items. His thoughts, although they had seemed quick, had drawn him into a blissful trance; he had not even remembered turning into the street. The frostbitten arms of the wind wrapped themselves around him and he soon sobered, cursing her for again pulling down the hood. He left it this time - he knew better. The howls and barks of dogs came nearby, joining the soft whoosh of the teasing air. He saw a sofa on the other side, and wondered how long it had sat there and, briefly, it's life. Dismissing the thought as unremarkable, he nonetheless caught himself looking back towards it's battered body, the thought still upon his mind. Do people think that of each other as they pass in the night?

Steps, finally, the steps. The gate need not be closed, and he did not care what his sister said about it. He was home, and he was damn well going to escape the biting cold. The keys flashed in his palm as he fumbled for them in his pocket, retrieving them and jabbing them towards the door hurridly. The lock was slain, the key turned, and the door cracked open to revel a yellow glow and breath of warmth, a stark contrast to the iced chill and hazed blues that had been his torment the last half hour. He opened the door, letting the light flood him. He went to step in, but hesitated on a thought. His soft blue eyes cast themselves back out into the darkness, looking back at where he had been and gone. Although it had seemed odd when he was moving through it, looking back, he felt a pang of desire to return. Knowing he could not, he turned back towards the door and stepped into the warmth of a new era just begun, certain that the chill would not leave him straight away as the warmth crept in, and that he'd always recall it. Well. The door clicked shut, and he moved forward.

I did say short. :P Tell me what you think!

;){____/| Anime Reviews /|\ Actually an '06er /|\ New Short Story! More to come. |\ ____}(;

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 13:59:21

Finally finished Lord of the Flies. It really is a fantastic book. Incredibly moving and powerful... I feel worn out after those last two chapters, thought that may be the hunger too (how apt :P).
It took far too long for me to finished. Enjoyed it but I'm not reading at all regularly at the moment.

I now have the choice of reading The Subtle Knife (Philip Pullman) - which I've read before but its the only other book I have here at uni, and I recently re-read Northern Lights too, so it seems fitting.

Or I could go buy something like Divine Comedy or The Brothers Karamazov.

Or something else... I'll have a gander in Waterstones tomorrow.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 20:03:34

At 2/15/09 08:02 AM, Podburrys wrote: A story

Good start, I get a feel for his mind state and how he feels. Though I didn't get a good vision of him physically. Enjoyed what you have so far though and I hope to see more.

At 2/14/09 04:06 PM, AKACCMIOF wrote: "It is perfectly alright to love a garden without believing there are fairies at the bottom of it."

Great quote, very understandable and a great way to justify the reading of the bible with out being religious about it. Not saying you need to justify your reasons but it helps people understand the train of thought when you approach the book.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 20:07:41

Sorry on girlfriends account and forgot, last post was me.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 20:55:16

At 2/15/09 01:59 PM, Nev wrote: Finally finished Lord of the Flies.

That's one of my favorite books, really makes you think about the situation we're in right now, with the war in the middle east.

Or I could go buy something like Divine Comedy or The Brothers Karamazov.

The Divine Comedy is awesome, you should read that!

Or something else...

Read Catcher in the Rye, that book will make you laugh a lot, but its also really weird, too.

The reason they call it the American dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it

--- George Carlin Z? Z? Question Sleep Z? Z?

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 21:05:06

At 2/15/09 08:55 PM, GodOfTheGodless wrote: Read Catcher in the Rye, that book will make you laugh a lot, but its also really weird, too.

Yeah, its on my mental list of 'check out in the next 0.1 - 50ish years of your life'. Assuming the 0.1 part doesn't come true and I manage to live until next week :).

But at the same time its kind of a cliché option, I'd rather a crack at something not so well known, but equally good. A gem with less public knowledge or something.
Any recs? From anyone.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 22:33:03

I like to read, can I join?

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 23:25:06

At 2/15/09 10:33 PM, OverCynicalBlasphemy wrote: I like to read, can I join?

You bet you can, what are some of your favorite books or authors?

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-15 23:39:17

At 2/15/09 11:25 PM, djconnect wrote: You bet you can, what are some of your favorite books or authors?

Stephen Hawkings does some pretty creepy works and has entertained me constantly.

But my favorite author is Jostein Gaarder.

I'm also a big fan of Tolken, for the simple fact if he didn't exist mostp ower and prog metal wouldn't exist.

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 00:40:14

At 2/15/09 11:39 PM, OverCynicalBlasphemy wrote: Stephen Hawkings does some pretty creepy works and has entertained me constantly.

Sure you mean Stephen 'Scientific genius/wheelchair bound-computer voice man' Hawking? And not Stephen 'Horror writer' King?

Its just I've never heard 'A Brief History of Time' described as creepy. Or entertaining for that matter.

I'm also a big fan of Tolken, for the simple fact if he didn't exist mostp ower and prog metal wouldn't exist.

I'm sure they'd just sing about Harry Potter :P.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 00:42:51

At 2/16/09 12:40 AM, Nev wrote: Sure you mean Stephen 'Scientific genius/wheelchair bound-computer voice man' Hawking? And not Stephen 'Horror writer' King?

I meant King.

I knew something was seriously off when I was typing that.

Its just I've never heard 'A Brief History of Time' described as creepy. Or entertaining for that matter.

Haha true.

I'm sure they'd just sing about Harry Potter :P.

Bands like "Avadkadvada!" would be popping up like wildfire. :O

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 02:38:40

Hey all, I was hoping when I jonied Newgrounds that they would have something to do with writing, and such ^_^
I write as a hobby, and mostly do fanfiction in my spare time. Still I have my original works that I write ^_^
I am way into George R.R. Martin's, A Song Of Ice And Fire series. I like most any fantasy, or sci-fi book in fact, and at the moment I am reading Joust, by Mercedes Lackey

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 04:33:32

At 2/16/09 02:38 AM, Tankou001 wrote: Hey all, I was hoping when I jonied Newgrounds that they would have something to do with writing, and such ^_^
I write as a hobby, and mostly do fanfiction in my spare time. Still I have my original works that I write ^_^

Welcome to the club, I am glad you found us. A lot of new people this page, Ba da ba ba baaaa I'm loven it. Well we hope to see some of your writings around here. You can post them right on the thread or in a news post and link to it. News post let you edit your work later if you want just in case.

I like most any fantasy, or sci-fi book in fact

I enjoy some fantasy / sci-fi books, but they have to have the right setting for me. Every one should know I am a resident evil fan boy. It takes place on earth and right in the united states. Anything to out there and I just loose interest really fast.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 07:09:45

At 2/15/09 08:07 PM, djconnect wrote: Good start, I get a feel for his mind state and how he feels. Though I didn't get a good vision of him physically. Enjoyed what you have so far though and I hope to see more.

Well, that was a short one I just rattled off. I do howver have to do a writing folio soon, so I'll post something here to again get insight. Thanks, and I think I'll post here sometimes.

Speaking of 'literature' (the term not quite so aptly applied), just finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It seemed rushed in parts, and the epilouge should have been longer. Annoying to have to look up what she later said happened to everyone.

;){____/| Anime Reviews /|\ Actually an '06er /|\ New Short Story! More to come. |\ ____}(;

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 12:02:48

At 2/16/09 07:09 AM, Podburrys wrote: The epilouge should have been longer. Annoying to have to look up what she later said happened to everyone.

I total agree here! She put so much work into the 7 books and rushed the ending of the very last one. I read Deathly Hallows in all of a day and a half. I was being rush for time when I first got the book. It is kind of funny seeing other authors cash in on the Harry Potter name though. Books like ' The Magician The Secret Life Of The Immortal Nicolas Flamel ', and ' Harry A History ' are good examples.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 13:18:28

Went out and bought The Brothers Karamazov.
This should keep me busy for a quite a while if my recent reading trends are anything to go by.

BBS Signature

Response to Literature Lovers 2009-02-16 14:02:34

At 2/16/09 01:18 PM, Nev wrote: This should keep me busy for a quite a while if my recent reading trends are anything to go by.

My reading habits have not been the best lately. My computer has distracted me from my books. I guess programming books count as reading but its basically a text book. I should pick up my Resident Evil books this week.

BBS Signature