00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MutantZulu81241 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

5 ways human race can becom extinct

3,646 Views | 59 Replies

Top 5 threats.

#1. Global warming

Even though you might not notice it global warming is starting to affect the public b burning our body's skin. even though there are major coplaints from the public the governments don't do a shit to stop it but continue to focus on other stuff like their military. Seriously if the governments leaders want to conquer the world the in the end they probably will only get a planet comparable to Venus.
If west Antarctica ice melted then that's 20ft rise of sea level if the Greenland ice melts away thats 20ft more of sea level so that's 40ft of extra sea level. major cities will get flooded from that like London, Miami, St.Petersburg. Do you really think the government would try building a 25metre wall around Florida? Even lowland countries like Belgium will be almost completely covered in water!
We need to freakin stop humanity from destroying itself. We need to stop going on the path of business this time.
This is a simple question do you want to live or die?

#2. plague

this is partly a way man can destroy itself and partly nature.
the newest avian flu diseases can turn into something like the black death or even deadlier! so humans can perish under it all. simple as that.
also humans have experimented for many years with biological weapons for example bofore in the Soviet Union scientists took common small pox that kills about 30% who don't use medicine and turn that 30% into 100% chance of death. even more scary is that we have the internet... and that can help ordinary citizens make/duplicate diseases...
Also imagine some idiot/fool/maniac/some over religious guy that becomes a biologist thinks its his mission to kill everyone (including himself) by creating a extremely deadly disease that is as easy to catch as the common cold (D:) ?

#3. nuclear wars...

if any superpower starts a nuclear war then we are all dead for almost certain. Just 20 nukes can cause enough debree to block out the sun. The USA is scared of terrorists making 1 nuke and using it when they should be more aware of the 24,000 nukes Russia has and the 13,000 China has (im not completely sure how many but i know its in 10,000 area). the thing is a nuke war can be triggered accidentally by, lets say for example a commercial satellite being launched with a rocket. one of the superpowers might think this is a nuclear attack and guess what they'll do, they'll make a nuclear attacks on that country.
we have enough nuclear bombs to kill about 8 billion people but we only have about 6 billion people...

#4. comets...

every day comets will fly around our solar system but few are big enough to hit planet Earth and make a crater. but before scientists have predicted that in April friday the 13th 2026 a huge meteor will come closer to Earth than our satellites surrounding it. then the same day in 2036 the meteor will return this time defiantly hitting Earth. But we have a plan to stop this governments are planning to construct a satellite with a gravitational pull that will just edge the meteor away from us so it wont enter Earth. If this meteor lands then it will be like the dinosaur age where the sun was blocked out and we desperately search for food. you know those movies where people see a meteor falling for a while well that doesnt happen, in fact if 1 meteor of that size and that speed entered Earth the flames wouldnt turn red,white,orange,purple,green or any kind of known color. it would be so hot that anything within about a 1000 sq mile radius would burn from the intensity of light and heat!
if we simply blow it up then billions of smaller meteorites will fall down on Earth probably causing more damage than just 1 big meteor.
if a meteor crashed then it would be pith black no natural light of any kind for a few months then the sun would start to show for a while then dispense. you would be devastated there would be no organization it would be every man for yourself....

#5. supervolcanoes...

if you didnt know then there are over 40 volcanoes that if erupted then they would make possible extinction of mankind. the last time a supervolcano erupted there were barely any humans left on earth. this was so close to extinction that scientists believe that only 33 reproducing females survived the whole thing! if a supervolcano erupted on Earth then its definate possibility of extinction on man (and female).

slightly more than half of these possibilities are of mankind killing itself but we can control the controllable if we can stop a giant comet then we can stop ourselves!

p.s damn thats a giant post

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:27:13

I was going to pick every single claim you made and check if it's legit.

But I realized all of these are "What if" senario's. So it's irrelevent and all I'd be doing is attacking your credibility. Which is something netiher of us can be bothered with.

Here's something else for fun:

Giant marshmellow attack

If we discovered a giant marshmellow and it came to earth it would kill us all because we can't breath marshmellows.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:28:34

At 1/10/09 09:15 PM, RussianGiant wrote: Top 5 threats.
#2. plague

this is partly a way man can destroy itself and partly nature.
the newest avian flu diseases can turn into something like the black death or even deadlier! so humans can perish under it all. simple as that.

A plague cannot destroy mankind. The simple fact is that it won't be able to spread to everyone, and even if it did there will be people with natural immunities. It could kill a significant percentage of the human population (such as the bubonic plague did in the 1300s) but that percentage will not be 100%

#3. nuclear wars...

if any superpower starts a nuclear war then we are all dead for almost certain. Just 20 nukes can cause enough debree to block out the sun. The USA is scared of terrorists making 1 nuke and using it when they should be more aware of the 24,000 nukes Russia has and the 13,000 China has (im not completely sure how many but i know its in 10,000 area). the thing is a nuke war can be triggered accidentally by, lets say for example a commercial satellite being launched with a rocket. one of the superpowers might think this is a nuclear attack and guess what they'll do, they'll make a nuclear attacks on that country.
we have enough nuclear bombs to kill about 8 billion people but we only have about 6 billion people...

This is a serious threat. There are enough nuclear bombs to destroy every square inch of the earth, however I doubt it would turn into a nuclear holocaust. The simple reason is that there will be some warning before hand where people will have time to get into nuclear bunkers. However, even if they did what will happen when they run out of food, oxygen, water, and other essential items?

#4. Comets
if we simply blow it up then billions of smaller meteorites will fall down on Earth probably causing more damage than just 1 big meteor.

We aren't really in any danger of comets. There are systems to track comets, and if we do see a threat the protocol isn't to blow it up because as you said that will only make things worse. The protocol is to push it into another direction. There hasn't been a situation where this has been done before, but theoretically it is as simply as sending a rocket to set off a nuke on one side of the asteroid.

#5. supervolcanoes...

if you didnt know then there are over 40 volcanoes that if erupted then they would make possible extinction of mankind. the last time a supervolcano erupted there were barely any humans left on earth. this was so close to extinction that scientists believe that only 33 reproducing females survived the whole thing! if a supervolcano erupted on Earth then its definate possibility of extinction on man (and female).

A super volcano will not be able to destroy the human race. In any scenario (such as Yellowstone blowing up, and that eruption is imminent) there will still be humans surviving. However, it is a major threat. Yellowstone erupts about once every 600,000 years. It's last eruption was 650,000 years ago. Over the last fifty years the ground on Yellowstone has risen several inches. This is showing a build up in pressure over the area. I do believe an eruption is imminent there. However, it is very unlikely to happen during our lifetimes.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:28:49

the global warming thing is not what if

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:36:45

At 1/10/09 09:27 PM, Brick-top wrote: I was going to pick every single claim you made and check if it's legit.

But I realized all of these are "What if" senario's. So it's irrelevent and all I'd be doing is attacking your credibility. Which is something netiher of us can be bothered with.

Here's something else for fun:

Giant marshmellow attack

If we discovered a giant marshmellow and it came to earth it would kill us all because we can't breath marshmellows.

I really lol-ed my ass off. Seriously.

Who knows how we're gonna be extinct. They are billions of ways, since the world is so unpredictable.

And IF your a Christian and whatnot, God can just kill us all when he sneezes anyway right?

And IF your just thinking about scientific theories, another ice age could just come and whoosh, we're dead right?

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:38:41

At 1/10/09 09:15 PM, RussianGiant wrote:
#1. Global warming

This couldn't wipe us out. Rising sea levels could end up being a pain, but people would just have to move.

#2. plague

A natural plague couldn't wipe humanity out, because there would be some people with immunity to the disease. And if necessary, we could just create quarantines (note that this worked for Poland during the black plague, even though that was incredibly contagious).

Also imagine some idiot/fool/maniac/some over religious guy that becomes a biologist thinks its his mission to kill everyone (including himself) by creating a extremely deadly disease that is as easy to catch as the common cold (D:) ?

That's actually a neat idea. What if some very thoughtful terrorists created a series of viruses and bacteria for which humans had no natural immunity, and released them all at once? What would be the upper limit for how many people they could wipe out?

#3. nuclear wars...

You could kill a lot of people, but there would still be survivors.

#4. comets...
#5. supervolcanoes...

Both of these would be very destructive, but I think the odds of them wiping us out would be very small.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:44:19

At 1/10/09 09:28 PM, RussianGiant wrote: the global warming thing is not what if

But your arguments are.

It fears the Greenland ice sheet is likely to melt, leading sea levels to rise by 7m (23ft) over 1,000 years.

Ever heard of the hydrogen car?

They're spending a immense amount of money and man power to make the hydrogen car replace the normal combustion engine.

Which isn't easy since we've been using them for nearly a century.

Transitioning to a transportation system based on hydrogen would therefore have essentially no long-term impact on climate due to short-lived water vapor exhaust or minor hydrogen gas leaks, but would dramatically reduce our emissions of long-lasting carbon dioxide-the key factor driving global warming.

Basically it reduces emissions and guess what?

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:44:28

At 1/10/09 09:28 PM, Conspiracy3 wrote:

ok ok but what about global warming?

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:48:34

At 1/10/09 09:38 PM, Al6200 wrote:
At 1/10/09 09:15 PM, RussianGiant wrote:
#1. Global warming
This couldn't wipe us out. Rising sea levels could end up being a pain, but people would just have to move.

the fresh water coming from the melting icecaps would eliminate the system in the Ocean that cools the equator and heats up the areas farther from it if that goes down then we would be a lot closer to extinction and eventually the temperature would be too high for humans to live in as i said in my post and evolution/adaptation cant catch up in a short period of time.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 21:57:59

At 1/10/09 09:44 PM, Brick-top wrote:
At 1/10/09 09:28 PM, RussianGiant wrote: the global warming thing is not what if
But your arguments are.

It fears the Greenland ice sheet is likely to melt, leading sea levels to rise by 7m (23ft) over 1,000 years.

ok ok you got me there but maybe they say that without including the global warming patterns?

Ever heard of the hydrogen car?

They're spending a immense amount of money and man power to make the hydrogen car replace the normal combustion engine.

Which isn't easy since we've been using them for nearly a century.

Transitioning to a transportation system based on hydrogen would therefore have essentially no long-term impact on climate due to short-lived water vapor exhaust or minor hydrogen gas leaks, but would dramatically reduce our emissions of long-lasting carbon dioxide-the key factor driving global warming.

well most cars that use hydrogen are really lame looking you know why? business. If the gas/diesel companies suddenly dissipated then where would the lower class citizens find jobs? you know that there are so many gas station employees out in the world. Also the United States needs an excuse to stay on the Middle East so if the manage to capture/kill the terrorists that pose a threat they still would have had the Middle East eventually annexing it.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 23:04:43

At 1/10/09 09:57 PM, RussianGiant wrote: ok ok you got me there but maybe they say that without including the global warming patterns?

That's for you to figure out. I provided the information. It's up to you what you do with it.

well most cars that use hydrogen are really lame looking you know why? business. If the gas/diesel companies suddenly dissipated then where would the lower class citizens find jobs? you know that there are so many gas station employees out in the world. Also the United States needs an excuse to stay on the Middle East so if the manage to capture/kill the terrorists that pose a threat they still would have had the Middle East eventually annexing it.

So basically you're arguing against the environment with economy? Sweet.

Because hydrogen easily combines with other elements, we are most likely to find it chemically bound in water, biomass, or fossil fuels.

So the natural recourse industry will still be needed for a decade or two.

What about fuel stations? Hydrogen cars need fuel stations too. So they may even need more workers since there will be two sources of fuel for two differently powered vehicles. Also you'll need constuction workers to build the stations, that's more jobs. People to extract the hydrogen, more jobs, deliver the hydrogen, more jobs etc etc.

Vehicle manufacturing? I don't know if you heard but Honda have recently released a hydrogen car called the FCX Clarity (pic below) so there's nothing stopping the car companies from not only building gasoline powered vehicles but also hydrogen powered vehicles.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 23:13:31

At 1/10/09 09:15 PM, RussianGiant wrote: if you didnt know then there are over 40 volcanoes that if erupted then they would make possible extinction of mankind. the last time a supervolcano erupted there were barely any humans left on earth. this was so close to extinction that scientists believe that only 33 reproducing females survived the whole thing!

Where the fuck did you pull this from? No single volcanic eruption has ever been that big, and there would be a lot less than however many billion people are on Earth now if that had occured. Probably.

"If you brought your partici-pants, put 'em on!"

|Go Here|and Here|and Here|

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 23:18:20

Global warming, while it has the potential to become problematic, will not be the end of us by any stretch of the imagination. Mankind has survived countless warming and cooling cycles much more severe than this one; we adapt well to adverse weather conditions, and we now have the technology to hydroponically grow some crops and force others even in less than optimal climates. Finally, we as a species are now both aware of the effects that global warming might have and have the capability to prevent it through concerted effort (a first in terms of species on this planet).

In short, the assertion that global warming has the chance to end us as a species is absurd to say the least.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-10 23:48:25

Can I also be so bold to say the creatures upon this planet can evolve to cope with the changing environment?

Maybe not as rapidly changing.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 00:02:07

Aren't all the scenarios listed at the beginning of this just pulled from the documentary "Last Days on Earth?"

In any case:

-Global warming: it's not called that anymore, it's called climate change. Why? Because, according to ocean conveyor theory, we could make it so hot that natural ocean salinity cycles will cease, actually initiating a new ice age in the process. I actually think it's a mix of both hot and cold; I've lived in Washington State for seven years, and I've been noticing (perhaps in error) that at high solar angles in the summer it gets hotter and hotter as the CO2 in the atmosphere traps sun rays, while at lower solar angles it gets colder and colder as the CO2 deflects them.

I'm all for hydrogen fuel. The problem is electrolysis: it takes more energy to derive hydrogen from water than can actually fuel the car with that hydrogen. Hopefully advances in solar and wind power will help matters in this instance. Or if I'm lucky, I'll figure out that overunity device I've been working on, and we can render all forms of fuel obsolete.

-Plague: If you've played Pandemic II, you know that generally speaking Madagascar and/or Japan will survive any outbreak. :P But in all seriousness, avian flu is to be taken seriously. Then again, such "superpathogens" may trigger the next evolution in the species, and adapt the human immune system in to an even more versatile and reactive defense system than it already is. There's no way to know.

A deliberately set outbreak will of couse happen to quickly for the species to evolve its way around it. But don't worry, my crazy little friend isn't planning on killing off people in the billions with one virus...she merely intends to sterilize 99% of the population.

-Nuclear war: Plausible, if Palin gets elected in 2012. But don't worry; Alaska will be our refuge, even if it is the most likely target of any Russian, Chinese or Korean missile. God said so. :P

Getting back to my actual answer, how a nuclear holocaust will affect us is questionable. Chernobyl has rejunvenated itself in the space of about two decades. Then again, a planetwide nuclear event doesn't leave much room for the isotopes to dissipate. If we're lucky, they'll just settle on the ground after a few years under their own weight, and make the majority of land infertile and water undrinkable.

-Comet: We're working on countermeasures. Hopefully it's not too little too late. Although a recent NatGeo documentary postulates a meteor impact didn't kill off the dinos, at least not on its own, so we might be safe from total extinction.

-Supervolcano: Plausible, especially considering Yellowstone is overdue. But we have answers to this that the last supervolcano survivors didn't, in the form of self-contained environments. We can filter outside air and water, grow food in hydroponics labs, and manufacture medicine as usual, and overall we would be okay.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 00:26:46

I can plagiarize articles I find on Digg too.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 10:04:12

At 1/10/09 11:13 PM, dodo-man-1 wrote:
Where the fuck did you pull this from? No single volcanic eruption has ever been that big, and there would be a lot less than however many billion people are on Earth now if that had occured. Probably.

yes there was everyone who replied about it shows the fact that its true you are the only one who is like '' oh that doesnt exist stop making up shit''

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 10:23:45

#1. Global warming

Global warming would only over time become dangerous and will probably cause economic crises and nuissance first. This means we'll become porer and more like African countries. But it's not like they're going to be extinct fast. Unless a chainreaction happens so fast that you see every ice collapsing at once and then a flood wiping everyone out. But that's not so likely to happen.

#2. plague

Like said before, it will erase a lot of people, but the damage will not be that large. A terrorist activity causing this, would be stupid, cause then they aim to kill everyone in the world and only a comic mad professor type of villain would want to archieve that.

#3. nuclear wars...

Once again, it's stupid to want to kill everybody with nukes. If a nuclear war happens, armies will more likely target large and strategic cities like America did. And the destruction radius is still fairly small I believe. Again, only a comic supervillain would use nukes to wipe out everybody.

#4. comets...

They can cause damage, but I don't buy it that anyday now, we can expect such a thing to happen. Blowing up such a comet might not be an easy task when you've got limited time, though. A space mission isn't planned in 24 hours...

In the same line I've been thinking that maybe something cosmic happens 'close' to our solar system like a supernova or some sorts and thus killing our solarsystem before we know it even happens.

#5. supervolcanoes...

Are they really so threatening now? Regular volcanoes, we can deal with and we can surely detect such an eruption aforehand, so we could relieve the pressure in the volcano. (blowing extra holes and such.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 13:47:20

#1. Global warming

Pass, I hear this argument everyday. Have you notice you only hear BAD things about global warming? Where are the GOOD things about it?

#2. plague

Nope. Not going to happen. Why? Because of a) the geographic of human distribution and b) the very high chance of someone is immune to it.

#3. nuclear wars...

This is the most likely of all, but it's not going to happen. This is due to the fact that again, the geographic of human population. Some tribe somewhere in southeast Asia is sure to survive because they are hidden from the rest of the world.

#4. comets...

Nah, not really.
And you're confusing comets and meteors. Big difference.

#5. supervolcanoes...

Again, the way human population is placed throughout the world would prevent human extinction.
Furthermore, the likely hood of a group of volcanoes going off at once is highly unlikely.

My question to you OP then, is, if you're so concerned about the continuation of Human life, why are you posting this? Why aren't you off in a lab somewhere trying to save the world?

New to Politics?/ Friend of the Devil/ I review writing! PM me

"Question everything generally thought to be obvious."-Dieter Rams

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 15:03:10

I think that, given the kind of technology we have, global warming really shouldn't kill more than 100,000,000 people. I know that sounds like a lot, but on the positive side, it's less than 2% of the population. Of course, I only came up with that figure because it was a nice, even number.

You forgot the Andromeda galaxy crashing into us, or the Sun exploding in some billion years, but that other stuff would've probably killed us by then.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 15:11:26

The first three all fall under what will actually do us in, as in becoming extinct as a species and this would be: Technology.

It's true.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 15:26:37

#1. Global warming

Although I don't believe it is all man-made, it could be a serious threat if the water levels continue to rise unrestricted. If the seas rise a relatively short amount of 10 meters, the coasts will be underwater, killing and misplacing thousands. However, this obviously isn't enough to turn the species extinct.

#2. plague

It could kill many people, but extinct? I doubt it.

#3. nuclear wars...

Most likely, though I doubt anyone is interested in mutual destruction save for the few extreme fools on this planet.

#4. comets...

I beleive you mean asteroid or meteorite, which could indeed kill us all if it's big enough and we aren't able to stop it or change it's course.

#5. supervolcanoes...

This can be extremely dangerous to our species. If one or two go off, we're looking at extreme weather changes, sunlight being blocked by the clouds of ash, and harmful particles from the eruptions.

Most of these disasters can kill millions of people, but the word "extinct" may be too drastic here. We will most definately struggle, but we will survive in the end. Unless of course that asteroid or gamma ray burst hits us, then we're screwed.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 15:33:56

At 1/10/09 09:44 PM, RussianGiant wrote: ok ok but what about global warming?

;;;;;;;
If looking out my window & seeing 5 inches of snow on the ground & more falling out of the sky right now means anything....global warming is Bullshit.
Now climate change, We do seem, to be experiencing so wilder weather, but I certainly don't find it any warmer this winter, that I have all of the winters I can remember & I'm 80+ .

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 16:07:35

At 1/10/09 09:27 PM, Brick-top wrote: Giant marshmellow attack

Theirs a man who knows what hes on about :)

PHP Main :: C++ Main :: Java Main :: Vorsprung durch Technik

irc.freenode.net #ngprogramming

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 16:14:34

Other than the Dodo, I believe every creature on earth (that has existed for many generations) has been wiped out by climate or tectonics. The most common Cretaceous mass-extinction theory is now that tectonic activity caused the air to become too sulfurous. (It has to do with the Ocean becoming under-oxygenated, but it's a little long for this post)

Since tectonic changes are not climaxing in this point in time, humans are going to be wiped out by natural climatic cycles. The earth is naturally warming having left the ice age. We're going to die off in the next million years, and there's nothing we have done or can do to cause or prevent it.

If you don't like my poetry, scroll down the page a bit. It gets better.

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 18:11:07

At 1/11/09 10:23 AM, RubberTrucky wrote:

#1. Global warming
Global warming would only over time become dangerous and will probably cause economic crises and nuissance first. This means we'll become porer and more like African countries. But it's not like they're going to be extinct fast. Unless a chainreaction happens so fast that you see every ice collapsing at once and then a flood wiping everyone out. But that's not so likely to happen.

again think of the after effects (read more dumbshit >:( ) the water from melting glaciers is fresh. the fresh water is disrupting the oceanic system that brings warm water up ad cold water down its already being disrupted because well its getting much colder up here in Canada and much hotter down in the equator. when the system will fully get destroyed scientists predict only about 1 billion enough to feed with crops in the harsh environment not to mention the major wars (nuclear and not) that would be caused by the shortage. the north/far south will freeze and the equator would burn like a living hell.

#2. plague
Like said before, it will erase a lot of people, but the damage will not be that large. A terrorist activity causing this, would be stupid, cause then they aim to kill everyone in the world and only a comic mad professor type of villain would want to archieve that.

remember man religion... some terrorist could try to make it so only America will be affected by multiple diseases but those multiple diseases can escape and kill everyone. or those terrorist bitches really have gone cookoo and just want to do it for the lolz or something a insane terrorist would do >:(

#3. nuclear wars...
Once again, it's stupid to want to kill everybody with nukes. If a nuclear war happens, armies will more likely target large and strategic cities like America did. And the destruction radius is still fairly small I believe. Again, only a comic supervillain would use nukes to wipe out everybody.

dude as i said it can happen accidently and wouldnt surviving military forces move from a nuclear wasteland to some other place and that gets nuked and on and on and on?
there isnt any comical supervillan the thing is as i said (try reading naxt time >:( ) the debree from a nuke can block out the sun so plant life wont grow and humans will die. as i said only 20 are needed to block out the sun we have in the 50,000 range of nukes on Earth.

#4. comets...
They can cause damage, but I don't buy it that anyday now, we can expect such a thing to happen. Blowing up such a comet might not be an easy task when you've got limited time, though. A space mission isn't planned in 24 hours...

im not talking about blowing it up im saying it would be worse to blow stuff up god why doesnt anyone understand english here?

In the same line I've been thinking that maybe something cosmic happens 'close' to our solar system like a supernova or some sorts and thus killing our solarsystem before we know it even happens.

very unlikely the next closest star to Earth is too far away so no sorry that wont work.

#5. supervolcanoes...
Are they really so threatening now? Regular volcanoes, we can deal with and we can surely detect such an eruption aforehand, so we could relieve the pressure in the volcano. (blowing extra holes and such.

dude these arent ordinary volcanoes you really dont know much do you? if we could predict volcanoes and drill holes into them then the ones that recently erupted wouldn't have erupted haven't they? the after effects will be what can kill all humans the sun would be blocked the plants would die then the animals will then we will.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 18:29:36

At 1/10/09 09:48 PM, RussianGiant wrote: ... eventually the temperature would be too high for humans to live in as i said in my post and evolution/adaptation cant catch up in a short period of time.

yet scientists looking into this have discovered that this would likely lead us into another ice-age, or close, not super-heat the planet.

VESTRUM BARDUSIS MIHI EXTASUM

Heathenry; it's not for you

"calling atheism a belief is like calling a conviction belief"

BBS Signature

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 18:39:42

At 1/11/09 04:14 PM, RWT wrote: Other than the Dodo, I believe every creature on earth (that has existed for many generations) has been wiped out by climate or tectonics. The most common Cretaceous mass-extinction theory is now that tectonic activity caused the air to become too sulfurous. (It has to do with the Ocean becoming under-oxygenated, but it's a little long for this post)

Since tectonic changes are not climaxing in this point in time, humans are going to be wiped out by natural climatic cycles. The earth is naturally warming having left the ice age. We're going to die off in the next million years, and there's nothing we have done or can do to cause or prevent it.

actualy we havent left the ice age yet, acording to scientists this is just like some kind of temporary intermission , like you would have in a football game.

either way
if were not living on other planets by a millions years then I would be really suprised.

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 18:43:11

Hey, don't be flaming me, you flamer.

At 1/11/09 06:11 PM, RussianGiant wrote: when the system will fully get destroyed scientists predict only about 1 billion enough to feed with crops in the harsh environment not to mention the major wars (nuclear and not) that would be caused by the shortage. the north/far south will freeze and the equator would burn like a living hell.

I'd like to see such predictions. But I mentioned it, conditions will be harder to live in. But boiling equator and freezing rest of the earth is a bit drastic to happen in a short timespan. I agree in it's potential to throw the environment out of ballance, possibly claiming several lives all over the world. But it's not gonna make the planet unliveable.

#2. plague
or those terrorist bitches really have gone cookoo and just want to do it for the lolz or something a insane terrorist would do >:(

Terrorist rarely kill for the lol alone. An out of control terrorist activity might seem a possibility, but people using biologic weapons and creating them, would surely know how to handle them.

#3. nuclear wars...
dude as i said it can happen accidently

I think it's safe to assume that not all nuclear installations would go off at the same time by accident.
Even 10 would be highly doubtful.

the debree from a nuke can block out the sun so plant life wont grow and humans will die

I can be wrong here, but I think you overestimate the power of nukes a bit.

#4. comets...

::

im not talking about blowing it up im saying it would be worse to blow stuff up god why doesnt anyone understand english here?

That was not a reply to you. It was meant to posters above me. (please, refrain from insulting me flat on) Besides, an explosion might knock the meteor out of it's orbit. We don't need to destroy it to be free.

very unlikely the next closest star to Earth is too far away so no sorry that wont work.

Probably, but who knows. It's a weird tough knowing that some blackhole out of nowhere could cause a chainreaction disturbing the solar system and 1 second you're eating a sandwich and the next you're dead without even the slightest warning. But it's not likely going to happen, true.

#5. supervolcanoes...
dude these arent ordinary volcanoes you really dont know much do you?

Durrrr, yeah you're right, me am stupid what is a vulcainoes?

if we could predict volcanoes and drill holes into them then the ones that recently erupted wouldn't have erupted haven't they?

It would not stop a volcano but hold the damage. These days a lot of stuff can be done avoiding damage. EG, landscaping to lead the lava around, positioning and stuff and reading when things are going to interrupt. If we know how to blow up a meteor these days (not looking at if this is good or bad)

the after effects will be what can kill all humans the sun would be blocked the plants would die then the animals will then we will.

Maybe, but we will find a way to counter this.

RubberJournal: READY DOESN'T EVEN BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!

Mathematics club: we have beer and exponentials.

Cartoon club: Cause Toons>> Charlie Sheen+Raptor

Response to 5 ways human race can becom extinct 2009-01-11 18:45:54

There are multiple ways humanity could be extinct. Hundreds maybe thousands of ideas have been thought up.

One of the ideas I found very interesting was that maybe instead of dying, we could be weakened o a point where common animals would overtake us.

I forget where I saw this, and it's quite possible but hard to believe but:

Maybe one day a terrorist organisation would make an EMP bomb powerful enough to shut down all electronics in the world. And keep it that way.

Considering the enormous amount of dependance on technology nowadays, humanity could be overcome by the other species on the planet.

East-Asia would fall first, then America, then possibly the U.K.

And what if we had no guns, ammunition, or other ways to hunt?

We would have to depend completely upon agriculture and farmsteads. Which would cripple us, but not destroy us.

A little off-topic but I found that interesting.

BBS Signature