TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:11 AM Reply

We had a really impressive turnout for the Winter Flash-Off! After a lot of repeated viewing and personal torment, we decided it would be best this time around to base the winners off the audience vote, then have a few bonus prizes. If you don't like the results, round up all your cool friends and get them more involved with NG.

This list is based on how the audience vote was ranked at the time I jotted them down. Since then, Zanta Claws has eeked ahead of Snowbot. I've decided to keep Snowbot in the top spot, due to it having a more timeless holiday feel, IMHO.

1st-3rd, $1000 each:

4th-5th, $500 each:

6th-10th, $250 each:

Best Game, $500:

MindChamber's Pick, $100:

Luis' Pick, $100:

Zekey's Pick, $100:

All of the winners are worth watching, but they are only the tip of the iceburg. Please take some time to watch these:

The list goes on and on, check it out!

There are over 200 entries catalogued, and even the last page includes craziness like this:

The Christmas submission by Adam Phillips wasn't a contest entry, and MindChamber's was a STAFFIMATION LOL so neither won but both are worth watching:

So that's it, WE'RE DONE HERE. The sheer number of high quality entries makes contests like this painful, and bitter responses from disappointed artists make me sad and resentful, so just chill and don't make a scene. You won just by making something cool and people will remember you for it. No one likes a winner anyway.

Winners, make sure you have filled out the address form to collect your loot, and check out the store in a bit to discover your store credit!

Speaking of the store, there are less than 30 Newgrounds calendars left for 2009 and we won't be printing another batch at this point. This is your last chance to own a piece of NG history!

Winter 2008 Winners!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
EyeLovePoozy
EyeLovePoozy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:12 AM Reply

I liked Santa's last stop most.
You should have Bob bring the remaining Calenders with him to London. I'd buy one for sure.

Jonny
Jonny
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Zanta Claws II was win. Good job it won. Congrats everyone.

Things are never meant to be easy. Everything is a challenge to someone.

BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:15 AM Reply

Interesting results.. Not what I was expecting. :P

At 1/9/09 11:12 AM, EyeLovePoozy wrote:
You should have Bob bring the remaining Calenders with him to London. I'd buy one for sure.

PLEASE DON'T I WANT ONE FUCK

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
MantisClock
MantisClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Gamer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:16 AM Reply

i knew that Zanta klawz would get a prize
but
i am only submitting music from now on
not flash <sob>

Ph33r mah l33t sk!||z | copy and paste nothing to be cool | 2012 WILL FUCKING HAPPEN believe |

BBS Signature
PaperBagManiac
PaperBagManiac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:16 AM Reply

great winners really great chosing

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:17 AM Reply

KWANZA IS SO UNDERRATED.

None

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:17 AM Reply

BTW everyone should watch this, if for nothing else than to appreciate the coloring, detail and animation...

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Sausau
Sausau
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:18 AM Reply

Mmh, I kinda disagree with the top. But whatever. I just think making Snowbot the winner is unfair by the fact its score hasn't undergone the ax of time, which'd have lowered it, I guess. But this was a good bunch eh.

cast
cast
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:17 AM, TomFulp wrote: BTW everyone should watch this, if for nothing else than to appreciate the coloring, detail and animation...
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/47 6300

Oh boy.. Everything I'm too lazy to be.

Thank god I retired from flash at Hank horse cock.

Beautiful work that was..

c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
Garp2
Garp2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:24 AM Reply

Awww, I REALLY thought Lalo's shoud've won. Maybe next time.

sirtom93
sirtom93
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:28 AM Reply

Congrats to the winners. Out of the lot I saw little aviator was my favorite.

KartuneHustla
KartuneHustla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:28 AM, sirtom93 wrote: Congrats to the winners. Out of the lot I saw little aviator was my favorite.

Thanks man. And overvoting for the WIN! :D

At your service

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:31 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:18 AM, Sausau wrote: Mmh, I kinda disagree with the top. But whatever. I just think making Snowbot the winner is unfair by the fact its score hasn't undergone the ax of time, which'd have lowered it, I guess. But this was a good bunch eh.

I personally liked that one cause the guy wrote his own music too.. its like one thing to be able to collaborate but a whole nother to be this octopus and handle all aspects of production. I thought it was splendid regardless of the ax of time which i do agree with you on that it woulda probably shaved some of its stubble off.

I didnt find the zanta one that funny.. but maybe im not really its target audience. meh

None

LAVAGASM
LAVAGASM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:34 AM Reply

Excellent submissions this year. Also... scr00g mcduc!

TheD-LucksEdition
TheD-LucksEdition
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Gamer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: Zekey's Pick, $100:

I love you Zekey.

Lambinvoker
Lambinvoker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:46 AM Reply

Why are there only three winners for 6th -10th? Shouldn't there be five?

I'm no artist. I'm a talentless hack who loves to doodle/animate from time to time.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:46 AM, Lambinvoker wrote: Why are there only three winners for 6th -10th? Shouldn't there be five?

Tom never did bother to learn maths.

None

DonkeysBazooka
DonkeysBazooka
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:48 AM Reply

I've never posted in the BBS before, but I think this is a good time to start.

I wanted to first say thank you to the Newgrounds community for noticing my crap. You'll be seeing a lot more from me in the future (and I intend to do much more elaborate stuff than Santa's Green Dilemma).

Next I wanted to thank Tom for being as generous as he is. That's a lot of money in cash prizes. So to anyone who's bitching about not winning, or placing as high in the results, keep in mind that Tom doesn't HAVE to do these contests. It's pretty unselfish of him to give out such quantities of cash, so he should be able to hand the money out to whoever he wants. So there.

I would have ranked these a little differently, but I'm sure everyone has their own opinions about it.... which means nothing because Tom's is the only one that mattered :D
And I'm sure all $1000 of Asspro's winnings will go towards diapers for his new daughter (everyone should congratulate him).

I'm more than happy with 5th place, and I'm proud to have done so well amongst such stiff competition. Thanks again to Tom, the newgrounds staff and everyone else.

Hacsev
Hacsev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:50 AM Reply

Congrats to all the winners! Zanta Claws II really deserved $1,000!

$$$ | Sig by TheDingo | Awesome Art | "Thread Killer" - Hacsev

BBS Signature
maxvm
maxvm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:54 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:11 AM, TomFulp wrote: We had a really impressive turnout for the Winter Flash-Off!

Captain Obvious strikes again! But on a serious note, there definately were some good entries.

Speaking of the store, there are less than 30 Newgrounds calendars left for 2009 and we won't be printing another batch at this point. This is your last chance to own a piece of NG history!

Oh noes! I still need to have somebody order my calendar and other goodies!

Visiting Newgrounds Since 2003

BBS Signature
sirjeffofshort
sirjeffofshort
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:56 AM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:46 AM, Lambinvoker wrote: Why are there only three winners for 6th -10th? Shouldn't there be five?

Yeah, that seemed kinda odd to me. I'm guessing it has something to do with Frost'D and Bitey Castle Christmas being in the top ten but not being able to win a prize. Still, it makes one a bit sad theoretically being the first runner up for a prize.

Oh well, there were a ton of great submissions this year (I personally thought "Tree Balls" was quite the gem, and "Santa's Last Stop" was hilarious, if a bit disturbing.). Congrats to all the winners.

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 11:59 AM Reply

If you must know, there arent five because the later parts of the placements were scattered amongst zekey's and other guest judges personal picks .. and the best game ... so in reality Tom actually rewarded more than 10 people and gave away more money than he originally expected... if anything people should be smitten rather than bitchy.

If there is one cool thing about this contest i thought. is that we got alot of new artists winning things. People always bitch and complain that its always the same swain, ego and adam phillips winning shit but in this case we have alot of talented new people like deucenine, donkeysbazooka, etc

None

sirjeffofshort
sirjeffofshort
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:21 PM Reply

At 1/9/09 11:59 AM, Luis wrote:
If you must know, there arent five because the later parts of the placements were scattered amongst zekey's and other guest judges personal picks .. and the best game ... so in reality Tom actually rewarded more than 10 people and gave away more money than he originally expected... if anything people should be smitten rather than bitchy.

If there is one cool thing about this contest i thought. is that we got alot of new artists winning things. People always bitch and complain that its always the same swain, ego and adam phillips winning shit but in this case we have alot of talented new people like deucenine, donkeysbazooka, etc

If you look at the organic listing on which Tom based the top ten awards... http://www.newgrounds.com/collection/chr istmas2008.html you will find your statement isn't entirely true, but it probably has more to do with the fact that there were entries in the top ten that were unable to win as I stated before.

I don't understand why people on the internet are so prone to agression as to address bringing up the subject as "bitching." I have read all of the posts and didn't find one to be bitchy in any manor. It is probably mostly due to the impersonal way 'posting' works, meaning, if people read a post expecting negative context they will find it regardless what the author of the post was intending.

I would just like to state for the record that I am in no way trying to "complain or bitch" about the results and have always been thankful for the generosity of Tom, Newgrounds, and the entire NG Community.

BlackPT
BlackPT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:21 PM Reply

That's 5550 bucks, I <3 U NEUGROUNDS

Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:25 PM Reply

At 1/9/09 12:21 PM, sirjeffofshort wrote: I would just like to state for the record that I am in no way trying to "complain or bitch" about the results and have always been thankful for the generosity of Tom, Newgrounds, and the entire NG Community.

Oh i wasnt talking about you anyway.. it was more a general comment based on past competitions for anything. It sucks to be on the bubble, but i mean its a contest... so people just gotta realize that you might win.. you might not. its a chance you take. Btw youre probably right regarding your first statement.

:)

None

MrCongeniality
MrCongeniality
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:27 PM Reply

that's kind of lame to discontinue to calenders. I'm not going to have enough money to buy shit online for a while. It'll be at least a month.

Twitter / Tumblr / < - Mr. C (Since June 7th, 2001)

BBS Signature
mrnihil
mrnihil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Artist
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:52 PM Reply

At 1/9/09 12:27 PM, MrCongeniality wrote: that's kind of lame to discontinue to calenders. I'm not going to have enough money to buy shit online for a while. It'll be at least a month.

i think a lot of people have probably stopped making 2009 calendars at this point.

Jedermann sein eigner truthahn abendessen.

Whirlguy
Whirlguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Animator
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:55 PM Reply

The top 3 is alright. If it were me I'd switch it up with the 6th-10th winner animations. I H8 X-MAS and Spider-Powers For Xmas 2 were my favs.

Also there's no 10th winner O:

Whirlguy Whirls your Whirld.

BBS Signature
Feuse
Feuse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Winter 2008 Winners! Jan. 9th, 2009 @ 12:56 PM Reply

i spent one school day.. 31 days or 30 i dont remember and allot of sleeping hours and i dont even get to be mentioned here ? =[

*ssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaaaddddd*

IM HERE RELAX.