00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AllHailInsomnia just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

My cartoons 'n' shit thread

3,090 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 04:09:33

Hey guys. So I thought I'd just start a thread to stick my drawings on from now.

Starting off with a self-portrait-cartoon-thingy. What do you reckon?

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 04:58:07

Nothing spectacular, but its a start. I'd go for a simpler style if I were you.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 05:04:21

At 1/4/09 05:00 AM, HarraH wrote:
At 1/4/09 04:58 AM, willobeen wrote: Nothing spectacular, but its a start. I'd go for a simpler style if I were you.
Are you a manga fan?

Personally I think it's great. Excellent shading and colouring, and I like the style.

No, I don't like manga, what are you trying to say? -- I don't like the style, honestly.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 05:36:51

At 1/4/09 05:04 AM, willobeen wrote: No, I don't like manga, what are you trying to say? -- I don't like the style, honestly.

Doesn't make it 'not spectacular' if you don't like it yourself.

I thought it was a girl until you said it was a self portrait. Must've been the pinkish hairband.

BBS Signature

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 05:48:33

Meh. I did SIMPLER STYLE aaaages ago, for aaaages, and then I moved on to something a bit more fun to draw.

The SIMPLER STYLE

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 06:00:32

Oh!

And while I was floating around my portfolio, here's another self portrait that I'm rather proud of.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 07:06:47

At 1/4/09 05:36 AM, Kuoke wrote:
At 1/4/09 05:04 AM, willobeen wrote: No, I don't like manga, what are you trying to say? -- I don't like the style, honestly.
Doesn't make it 'not spectacular' if you don't like it yourself.

I thought it was a girl until you said it was a self portrait. Must've been the pinkish hairband.

"Style" effects drawing skill just as much as any other factor. So if the "Style" is unappealing then the piece is unappealing.

IMO of course

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 07:09:55

Makes sense. But all this 'style' business comes with time, until then, it's better to draw howeverthefuck you want.

IMO of course

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 07:36:50

Some kind of amazing person with nice hair. He probably uses root booster.

Could do with a shave though.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 07:37:10

At 1/4/09 04:09 AM, MagicalJamie wrote: Hey guys. So I thought I'd just start a thread to stick my drawings on from now.

Starting off with a self-portrait-cartoon-thingy. What do you reckon?

Looks great! Very smooth and stylish, I love the exageratedly swung shapes on everything, unreleastic but effective, nice lighting and detail too.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 08:25:37

At 1/4/09 07:09 AM, MagicalJamie wrote: Makes sense. But all this 'style' business comes with time, until then, it's better to draw howeverthefuck you want.

IMO of course

agreed, style is something that you don't need to worry about. Thats not what I really meant by that, what I really meant was, just less of those little loose stringy lines that you leave all over the place. Overall though, good stuff.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 09:23:59

Fair enough.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 09:35:56

I always liked the name Janine, if I were to have a daughter, that is probably one of the more likely contenders for naming. Until then, Janine is the name of the generic female I occasionally make myself draw.

It's a lot easier to make a boy look like a boy than a girl look like a girl, I think I do an okay job though. The only real differences I make are a pointy nose, little-to-no defined chin, and eyelashes.

Also an earring doesn't hurt. They're somewhat girly.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 10:01:12

Awesome cartoons, and shits.
I like the style, it looks good.

BBS Signature

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 10:23:01

From the cute thread.

He's pretty cute.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 11:12:05

At 1/4/09 10:23 AM, MagicalJamie wrote: From the cute thread.

He's pretty cute.

You see, I thought that was pretty cool, and I think you've found your niche with the cute one, try simple cute little creatures, then move onto humans, that's what I've done. Meanwhile, all of your other drawings are bad, unappealing, and gross.

Well, that's just radical. You're radical.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 11:55:18

What?

Cute, simple little creatures are boring and take almost no effort.

Niche? Why do I want a niche when I can just draw everything and get better at everything?

That was a silly comment dude.

Haha, niche.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 19:20:06

At 1/4/09 11:55 AM, MagicalJamie wrote: What?

Niche? Why do I want a niche when I can just draw everything and get better at everything?

Haha, niche.

Ah, you're ability to simply dismiss comments as daft and unimportant is something I really envy in you, if you couldn't tell, I was trying to get at do something you're good at and get better at it, and then, move on, your skills in your previous "style" will transfer, and you'll get better. Right now you're bad, and I didn't mean cute, simple little creatures like the egg, I'm just saying I like that egg, and I'd like to see you work more with that, making it more complex, but still keeping the overall style. Right now your "cartoons" are terrible, ugly things.

Well, that's just radical. You're radical.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 19:38:09

I sense potential in your work...
And I have to admit, I kinda like your style, too.

And don't worry about drawing girls, unless you are aiming for something extreme, eyelashes, earrings, fragile chin & nice hair usually does the job.

Keep it up.

Sure, we all share one thing. We will all die sooner or later. Thank god.

My art thread, starting from pg 18

See all my crap in larger, smexier images! (DeviantArt)

BBS Signature

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 22:17:53

At 1/4/09 07:20 PM, GlassBomb wrote:
At 1/4/09 11:55 AM, MagicalJamie wrote: What?

Haha, niche.
Ah, you're ability to simply dismiss comments as daft and unimportant is something I really envy in you, if you couldn't tell, I was trying to get at do something you're good at and get better at it, and then, move on, your skills in your previous "style" will transfer, and you'll get better. Right now you're bad, and I didn't mean cute, simple little creatures like the egg, I'm just saying I like that egg, and I'd like to see you work more with that, making it more complex, but still keeping the overall style. Right now your "cartoons" are terrible, ugly things.

Meh, the way they got me into university to study animation kinda reassures me that they're alright.

Thanks for your input though =), saying my stuff is terrible and ugly is quite helpful.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 22:33:59

At 1/4/09 07:20 PM, GlassBomb wrote:

:Right now your "cartoons" are terrible, ugly things.

I don't know why he's being so critical of your work. There's a lot of stuff on this forum that's a whole lot worse, and I don't think your cartoons are something to dread so severely.

Actually, I quite like the mario and the root booster guy.

As for any critique, I'd just suggest to work on your females, and on 3/4 views, the position of your eyes, they're just a bit off. I'd like to see some of the B&W line art colored if you ever do, I think that if you do some cell shading, it'll make them look pretty cool. Good luck!

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 22:40:17

Yeah, you're right regarding the eyes on my 3/4s. I haven't quite sussed them out yet. It'll click into place at some point =)

I colour stuff when I fully commit to it, but right now I'm just throwing up a few sketches.

This is a Siamese cat , which is currently in scribbly scratchy sketchy stage. It's for that perfect pet contest that's floating about.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 22:50:13

Finished my scribbly scratchy sketch of a cat, not too keen on his hands. I want them to dangle down but they don't really flow very well. I'll try and fix it at the inking process.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 22:52:06

At 1/4/09 10:50 PM, MagicalJamie wrote: Finished my scribbly scratchy sketch of a cat, not too keen on his hands. I want them to dangle down but they don't really flow very well. I'll try and fix it at the inking process.

Looking good. It's legs look like drumsticks, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

BBS Signature

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 23:14:21

Heh, I didn't really use a reference other than my memory, which just kinda said "don't forget cats have backwards knees on their hind legs".

Although, googling a reference now, I would say it's not too far off ^_^. Maybe I'll thin them out a tad during inking.

OR MAYBE I WON'T. Meow.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-04 23:37:42

Inked and ready to go!

He looks like a pretty sassy cat, in my opinion.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-05 00:30:10

Taking a break from the kitty to do another quickie self portrait thing.

Self portraits are fun. And easy.

Tried to put in a couple more corners, making the whole head a bit boxier, and tried a different eye shape. I think it looks alright, could do with a bit of a polish here and there.

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2009-01-05 00:46:10

HAHA, Your cartoon style is AWESOME! Id like to see the cat coloured but wow, great work all round

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2010-07-15 02:53:40

Hey I'm back! Started a new thread, got it locked, mod reminded me of this old chestnut.

So hello again!

The Game.

Response to My cartoons 'n' shit thread 2010-07-15 08:55:14

Nice Pussy.

Click my sig for my mo-fuggin website.

BBS Signature