Stamper
Stamper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:03 AM Reply

Working from home is lonely, I've been doing it for far too long. :(

Can I come to Philly and live in the office? I make mean peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and I'm fun to play Tekken with.

PLEASE I HAVE NO FRIENDS OR LIFE AND I FEAR I WILL DIE ALONE.

YO MAMA GOT SAGGY TITTIES LMAO

BBS Signature
Stamper
Stamper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Melancholy
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:08 AM Reply

At 12/17/03 01:16 AM, Andy_Parker wrote: Why dont u rent out a big wherehouse or something? You could make it like the place where hans on zoolander lives.

Hans had the best place ever - we need a Fight-Club style place. With trash everywhere and busted brick walls and a basement where me and Solem can bare-knuckle box.

YO MAMA GOT SAGGY TITTIES LMAO

BBS Signature
Explodapop
Explodapop
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 07:22 AM Reply

This seems like the NG house idea. Well, NG is getting a company now. It has gone a long way since it's beggining (the website) in 1995.

Be happy that you'll soon need to have a corporate lawyer too. The cool part is that NG's success is all from other people than NG's staff. They only collect it, really. And the users even decide what will be accepted to the site and whatnot. It's pretty darn genious.

butterchops
butterchops
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 08:32 AM Reply

Make sure you plan out everything before going Frankenstien with NG. Retail, offices, bathrooms. and parking. Measure twice, cut once. Go Buckaroo Bonzai style. Think tank rock and rollers with planet saving on the side. Did you think you would make it this far? Put in a coffee hang and retail shop for the peeps. Revenue stream is of the upmost import and you should have a club, not open all the time, but it will be there when you need it.

WadeFulp
WadeFulp
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 30
Animator
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 09:02 AM Reply

At 12/17/03 03:01 AM, Sekky wrote: Not to be a bitch or anything, but what it is that you do exactly when you 'work'? The site is self-sufficient more or less.

Hahaha! Yeah right! That's why I spend hours going through 300 some users who are banend from reviewing every week, answering hundreds of emails asking for help with accounts, deleting portal submissions, dealing with stolen material, etc. Then when I go through all that shit I have to try and make series and collections for 100 different people who all want their work featured.

For those who don't know NG staff consists of Tom, LilJim, and myself. We get help from some of our fans in the form of art work, forum mods, review mods, chat ops, etc. If we set up office space we wouldn't really be hiring new people, we'd maybe try and bring in interns that work for a free lunch basically.

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER
Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK
Google+ Profile

BBS Signature
MissTwidge
MissTwidge
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 09:05 AM Reply

I say go for an old, run-down warehouse type setting, but play down your interests of sprucing the place up. If the landlord/seller sees a general lack of interest, he or she would be less likely to hold out for more dough. Play up any major damages, but don't itemize them in terms of a discount.

My family wound up getting the house we currently live in for less than half of the asking price because we thought it was such a dump. Nobody brought up the fact that for still cheaper than the asking price, we could totally makeover the place. We just poked at the stained carpetting and had a good chuckle when I slipped and fell on the wooden back deck (which was rotted and falling apart).

What the hell is my point? A young couple had put in a bid on the house not a week or two before we did, offering $350k as opposed to the asking $375k (which, in my neighborhood, is about the average price of a house). They thought this house was fabulous, just perfect for starting a family of their own in. The seller turned them down. My dad commented to the seller that the house was a bit of a shithole and looked to have had no repairs for the last 20 years that it had been rented out. He offered $160k and the bastard took it! Add roughly $40k in repairs (not all of which were neccessary- new hardwood floors, screened enclosure added) and we had a very nice house.

So, there's my real estate advice for the day. Find yourself a fixer-upper, but don't get too excited in front of the agent.

WTF-Kurdt
WTF-Kurdt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 09:11 AM Reply

that wud be pretty decent, 'course if you opened it and released the address. more people than copeable would turn up. i would. im sure loads of others would want to turn up to this risque "NGhaus" style place.

AngryAxel
AngryAxel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 09:16 AM Reply

Woo! Is Newgrounds a trademark? If it is, nvm then. If it isn't, you should register it!

sean111
sean111
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 10:45 AM Reply

I know that around the areas of Hatboro, Warminster, WIllow Grove and Warrington there are many warehouses that are now either for sale or abondoned due to the falling of industry. There are also some newer building in Warminsters Industrial Park that say that they are for sale. Most of the suburbs will have places like these because most burbs started around factories :)/

Sekky
Sekky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 12/17/03 09:02 AM, WadeFulp wrote: Hahaha! Yeah right!

My bad, but that's still cushy as a cushion.

<deleted>
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 11:23 AM Reply

Good idea when are we moving in :P only kidding good luck in your new home Tom

Xenok5
Xenok5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 11:48 AM Reply

At 12/16/03 11:16 PM, TomFulp wrote: For years now, I've tossed around the idea of a Newgrounds office space. With the plans I have for this coming year, an office space is starting to look more and more necessary.

Please in the name of the non-existant God, DO NOT become a corperation. if that happens the whole idea of Newgrounds might as well of been flushed down the crapper in the first place..

FAGATRON
FAGATRON
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 12:59 PM Reply

Tom:
-There is an amazing space available in orue building (www.swearbear.com) 5 minutes from manhattan, I realize you dn;t wanna be in NYC, but if you did this place is HOT!
-aaron

Drakestaker
Drakestaker
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 01:08 PM Reply

I am not a realastate person, but I do have an idea of locations. Did you ever think of Delaware. Yeah, this state is small, but the taxes are very low. Many BIG commpanies have their HQ's here becasue of the low taxes on businesses. I dont know for sure what those taxes are, but i know its low. I know that Wilmington, DE. has some sort of renovation thing going. They were tearing down old warehouses and making way for new buildings. I am not sure if it is done, but if you get a hold of a Delaware Realastater, they can help you out. Try to get something year Big Kahuna, only becasue i know that area is a good place. Remember that its downtown so you might have some problems. Philly is only 20-30 mins from DE depending on where you are comming from. Its a straight hope on 95N till you get to Wilminton depending on how fast you drive.

P.S...throw in a spell check in these things :)...im a lazy person

Shadows-Rage
Shadows-Rage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 01:29 PM Reply

Long time Grounds user, first time poster. I'll be brief to the point since you guys are busy and I've got finals in a few days. Researching for a while's gotten me little to no help for you guys, so I'll just throw a few random websites your way...

It's Ebay. Auctioning Real-Estate in Philly every day.

Agentconnect.com Fairly simple. Posted this one because Agents know about land and property before the general public does. Make a friend or two in the Philly Area guys. (Not to mention, you'll get spiffy Christmas Cards from these people whom you don't even know. Free = Good. )

Other than that, I'm sure you've found just about all you can find. I've got more faith in you guys than the entire college staff at Texarkana A&M right now. G'luck in your search.

Rage

Hells-Gatekeeper
Hells-Gatekeeper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 03:33 PM Reply

I live below Philly in the Deleware County area, and in the town I live called Clifton Heights (around Upper Darby Township and Lansdowne) There are old yarn mills , they're huge abandoned factories that are being auctioned off at cheap prices, i know your looking for something suburban in the North Philly areas, but this is in suburban South Philly, and It would make great Newgrounds office buildings.

Blingo
Blingo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 03:55 PM Reply

So I was thinking, there have to be other people out there like me. More and more people who telecommute and have started to grow lonely. Perhaps you want to go back to an office, but don't want to go back to the fixed hours or the manager looking over your shoulder.

lol..... u know it's just gonna turn into one big long party. Goodbye NG...

IM-KOOL-R-U
IM-KOOL-R-U
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Best of luck to you

thecerealkiller
thecerealkiller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:26 PM Reply

lol wow great job u guys i remember comming here back when i was in 6th grade watchin things like telebubby fun land and wishing i could create sumthing like that well now im older but def not more mature :) and all i can say is amazing job and lol im so jealous i hope sumday i can create sumthing as perfect as newgrounds and have such a dedicated follwoing i mean after all newgrounds sucees dives deep into the fact that this is a community and in this community we have everything...we have friends... people we can turn to for help (programming advice whatever) and also we have good leaders (lol sounds corny but tom ur my idol :) lol)...which is what makes newgrounds just so awesome....the people....so congrats on your hopefully sucessful search for a new building...lol lucky bastards :-P

nazibomb
nazibomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:44 PM Reply

At 12/17/03 03:01 AM, Sekky wrote: Not to be a bitch or anything, but what it is that you do exactly when you 'work'? The site is self-sufficient more or less.

..... Erm, no it's not...

At 12/17/03 01:29 PM, Shadows_Rage wrote: Long time Grounds user,

Not really, Rage.... Not really.

Yes... I like the idea, Tom. You could get some loyal fans down there... set up a research group... grow into a corporation... go public... get a TV channel... live the good life.

BBS Signature
TWDarkflame
TWDarkflame
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 04:56 PM Reply

I have personally grown weary of working from home. Sure, it is great to roll out of bed every morning and get straight to work... But I just don't work the way I did back when I worked in an office (I'm talking about before NG became my career).

Most people who work from home find this.

A good "cure" is simply to take a pointless trip in the morning, drive around the block or something.
You will be pointless depleting the worlds oil resources, but if it makes you work better who cares :p

Rateoholic- my "review anything you can think of and it tries to correlate your tastes to other peoples" site. (-sigh- I need a better slogan....)
Or watch our reviewshow

RiftMaster
RiftMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 05:05 PM Reply

Hey Tom! that sounds like a great idea!
I hear ya on the whole "working from home" situation. It's easy to work half-assed and lazily and end up looking at something on the web or playing a game and before you know it you're not accomplishing anything anymore! haha

If I lived in the Philly area you can bet I would work in your office!
Sadly I'm up here in the artic wastes of western Canada :(

Hope you find a cool place to set up shop man!
And awesome work with AH! It looks great, and thanks to your code im sure it will be a blast to play!

From one web/code/game/-nerd to another:

*SALUTE

I put the "funk" in function()

Leigh
Leigh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Artist
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 06:12 PM Reply

I will bare-knuckle-box you right now Stamper, right now.

SomeGenius
SomeGenius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 07:21 PM Reply

HmmMMm the real question is... What would a ninja do?

Mr-Kools
Mr-Kools
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 08:03 PM Reply

At 12/17/03 08:44 AM, RandomHeroDunn wrote:
There should be some in the Bucks County area. :)
It's close to Philadelphia, also.

I live in Bucks County too and it's only a short drive away from Philly.There plenty of available buildings here!

BenTheJammin
BenTheJammin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 08:25 PM Reply

Dear Tom,
I sent you an email with a site that will be of much use. it has what i think is a empty warehouse for sale. i hope the site helps. if u dont get my email here is the link again!

http://commercial-real-estate.cc/

ur Loyal Member,
BenTheJammin

JudgeDredd
JudgeDredd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 08:52 PM Reply

Glad to see u'r following thru with the NG-Hause concept.

Y'know, before hanging out on NG these past few years, i never even gave any thought to moving to the States..

my synapses are just starting to adjust to the idea.. o_0

BigStud12321
BigStud12321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 08:53 PM Reply

Hey tom this might sound kinda strange but there are billions of run down buildings in Asbury Park in New Jersey. The only thing is, is that its right on the beach and thats like a 2 to 4 hour ride from Philly. The fact that almost every corner you turn theres a run down building being hit with a recking ball and some that have been there for years would be a great place. Thats all the info i could give you so good luck.

Signed,
Andrew Bibis

Outraged-leftist
Outraged-leftist
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Philly Area Office Space Dec. 17th, 2003 @ 09:12 PM Reply

I love the idea of using an old building to make into an office space. That is excellent.

And I can't believe someone actually thinks a site like newgrounds could ever be self sufficient! (to the previous random post)

Good luck with finding a newgrounds space!