00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Jesspionic just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Computer Partisans

3,702 Views | 22 Replies

Computer Partisans 2008-12-26 03:27:28

Maybe you haven't noticed lately, in your state of collective complacency, but Newgrounds has become rather ill.

From one end of the metaphorical body to the other, parasites invade it via orifices and pores previously unknown, bringing their malicious nucleic instructions to tear down the infrastructure of the host, and in doing so allow themselves to procreate in the dead tissues, and eventually to move on to the adjacent organs.

Consider this a first attempt to quell the spread. Consider the following a saw by which one of the infected limbs might be sawed off to a bloody stump, and thus be salvaged from the gangrenous state that surely awaits:

Perhaps the single most divisive issue on the General Forum of the last year has been that of the ad nauseum debate between COMPUTER PARTISANS of the fundamental differences between brands of computer, and most often of all, which operating system is the one that, in each's opinion, is the most productive, the most beautiful, the most versatile. The state of this debate has degenerated, over the last twelve or eighteen months, from the stately presentation of facts, to the tense and angry debates, ever-more-impassioned, that tend to characterize the current state of affairs on the forums.

But these debates, upon which now hinge reputations and friendships of the debaters, are tangential distractions, not worthy even to prostrate themselves at the feet of logic, when placed into consideration with one single point that has not once been brought up through the heat of the furnace of argumentation:

What is a computer, anyways, but a means to an end?

The very existence of these debates hinges on the once-infallible premise that the computer itself is the end and not the means, but this is not true; has never been true. The computer is the tool by which tasks are accomplished, not the accomplishment itself. As long as the task is accomplished, what does it matter what means are used to do so?

Each of us uses a particular computer brand, or specific operating system for a reason, and that reason is one that necessarily is only applicable to oneself, be it speed, efficiency, expandability, etc. Computer Partisans are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the Newgrounds community, awkwardly presenting themselves at your front door, and expecting you to convert yourself on the spot to the only religion, in their view, that is legitimate.

The forceful assault of personal opinions unleashed upon each other is perhaps the single most Kafkaesque aspect of this most perverted system, as none of us will ever change our minds on the given issue based on a few heated minutes on the internet; we've already committed to the brand that we own, and we're already entrenched in the minutiae of that particular operating system.

For this reason, these threads are nothing more than a platform by which Computer Partisans, in the same way as political partisans in reality, are given the opportunity to sow the seeds of discord and discontent, of malice and mutually assured destruction, to no concrete end beyond an intangible and evil sense of satisfaction at the taste of the blood of one's fellow.

So end it, Computer Partisans. It really is that simple. Stop forcing your own ideas and opinions on people who will never bend themselves to your will, who will never be swayed by your single obscure opinion, who already have their specific niches filled by the computers that adorns their desks.

End it, and drain the abscess.

Computer Partisans

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-07 21:40:10

Why did this never get a chance for life?
This is epic.
I like this, I think it should be brought up for discussion.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 22:35:48

At 1/25/09 10:33 PM, Grubby wrote: Macs are black?

jk

You fool! Do you see what you have done? This thread will now be open to flamers and trolls!

For now, let me make a legitimate post and say that the arguments should continue. There would be no life in the computer industry without them.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 22:38:57

At 1/25/09 10:35 PM, firemaker60 wrote:
At 1/25/09 10:33 PM, Grubby wrote: Macs are black?

jk
You fool! Do you see what you have done? This thread will now be open to flamers and trolls!

Thus the entire thread is now void.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 22:40:15

At 12/26/08 03:27 AM, Bolo wrote:
So end it, Computer Partisans. It really is that simple. Stop forcing your own ideas and opinions on people

Never, I like the Mac commercials.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 22:53:48

The argument isn't about that the industry wouldn't exist without them, we all know that. People form arguments derived from personal experience and preference. It's like arguing "Coke or Pepsi?" in that it will never end.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 22:58:42

I like this idea.

Mac, Windows, Linux, and all other operating systems living in harmony!

That being said, Windows is better.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-01-25 23:03:00

Your cryptic metaphors hurt my head.

But yeah, everybody would benefit from that, nobody would lose.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-02-09 18:57:50

At 1/25/09 10:44 PM, Xarnor wrote: Why is the Mac a black guy?

To represent the two dichotomous halves of the debate, one must subtly indicate what sets them apart. Skin color is an arbitrary trait, defined only by what color surrounds it; either side could have been the one with darker skin, but at least one was necessitated by representational integrity, the continuation of the metaphor of duality as applied to our microcosmic sphere here on Newgrounds.

Fundamentally, the appendage, the hand, is the same; performs the same function, and has the same capacity for good and evil. The only difference between the two hands is the pigment of their respective casings, a cosmetic trait, like the choice between a Mac and a PC, to put it bluntly, which carries no weight as to the performance of the appendage itself, and is irrelevant to any purpose beyond driving the metaphorical wedge deeper into the ice between us, in hopes of forever cracking us apart.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-02-09 19:04:53

And by creating this thread, you have ended all current wars between Mac and PC users.
Ok.

Guess what?

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-06-15 16:22:51

Bolo you better write an awesome island story.

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-06-15 16:38:50

At 1/25/09 10:58 PM, MonkeyV wrote: I like this idea.

Tux did not agree to this, I SEE NO HAND OF THE ALMIGHTY PENGUIN!

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-06-15 16:47:19

You're a fucking Mac user, aren't you?

RAWR.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-06-15 17:28:10

At 12/26/08 03:27 AM, Bolo wrote: Computer Partisans are the Jehovah's Witnesses of the Newgrounds community, awkwardly presenting themselves at your front door, and expecting you to convert yourself on the spot to the only religion, in their view, that is legitimate.

Oh, Bolo, this is perhaps the most beautifully accurate thing ever written in the NGBBS.
I remember when you used to be an inconsolable macfag, and now here you are, pushing for everyone to just sit down, shut up, and enjoy the internet.

At 1/25/09 10:44 PM, Xarnor wrote: Why is the Mac a black guy?

More importantly, what is a black man doing hiding inside our metallic apples? O.o

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-07-25 02:01:07

Mac- Steals glitzy stuff from linux, faux innovation
Windows- Terrible file system causes fragmentation. System files corrupt due to fragmentation. Windows rot, a processing architecture and library system that says "hey viruses, touch me any way you want"
Linux- no iphone/touch suppourt without tweaking, Bad ATI driver suppourt, ATI sucks compared to nVidia anyways

This signature is not true

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-07-25 02:56:45

I wouldn't have a problem with Macs if Mac fans weren't so smug about them, and they didn't try to downplay the contributions or power of a PC. The Justin Long v John Hodgeman ads have gotten entirely out of control. It just feels like Mac users are always trying to convert you. Macs are kind of like the pushy gays of the computer world.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2009-07-25 03:03:24

You should have a penguin raping both in the ass.

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 07:21:19

The computer is the tool by which tasks are accomplished, not the accomplishment itself. As long as the task is accomplished, what does it matter what means are used to do so?

Still as a tool it doesn't need to be a stone tied to a stick. So people will naturally be discussing how to get most out of the money they spend for the computer.

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 07:24:25

At 1/25/09 10:58 PM, MonkeyV wrote: I like this idea.

and why is windows better? because it crashes all the time and is corrupted from the core?
seriously, just because it has more software doesn't mean its a better operating system, hell, I think mac is the best for usability, but linux is definitely good too.

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 07:30:03

At 1/25/09 10:40 PM, Prinzy2 wrote:
So end it, Computer Partisans. It really is that simple. Stop forcing your own ideas and opinions on people
Never, I like the Mac commercials.

Same ^_^

Fear Me! "You are a government organization designed to monitor the NG BBS. you hide behind your smiles but there is something very sinister about you, oh yes." - DragonFyre9

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 07:32:11

Actually the biggest General discussion was over;

"Which console should I buy?"

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 07:38:56

just finished the logo for my custom linux distro...

Computer Partisans

Response to Computer Partisans 2010-01-02 08:02:41

At 1/2/10 07:38 AM, robin1232 wrote: just finished the logo for my custom linux distro...

damn, that name was already taken...
anyway, mine is more awesome, so Ill continue to name it that way