00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xo1029392 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

simplicity poster

2,565 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

simplicity poster 2008-12-20 18:39:25

just another poster for me (last one i did was pen is mightier (should be a news post on my profile))
what you guys think?

simplicity poster

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 19:16:30

seems a bit too empty...

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 19:32:28

The art looks pretty good but I don't like the way the text looks. I'd consider either loosing it altogether or changing it, something small and typewriter-like might look better, and I'd put it below the image.

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 19:58:30

At 12/20/08 07:16 PM, UMREE wrote: seems a bit too empty...

hence simplicity... artard

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:04:08

At 12/20/08 07:58 PM, TheL1st wrote:
At 12/20/08 07:16 PM, UMREE wrote: seems a bit too empty...
hence simplicity... artard

i know what simplicity means, i ment its missing character, even if you were going for simple you didnt have to make it boring.

and the insult was uncalled for.

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:24:23

its a damn near perfect deisgn

cna u even name the fundementals of principles of design? liek 3 of each maybe? without googleing them

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:37:31

I'm not sure about the black borders. And the comic sansish font is a turn off as well. The little design is cool except for the little bulge on the top and the color scheme is ok. Not bad though. keep it up!

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:38:39

Your theme is simplicity which most of the poster does justice, however, the typography is way off.
A rounded comic style typeface like that screams out fun and action. Try looking for a typeface that is less organic, possibly with serifs.

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:41:26

One more thing, I know it would take more ink, but the image may look better if you invert the colors. Alot of white space can be very ... well uninspiring...Also I know the grayscale was a stylistic choice, so its not a big problem, but personally I would never buy a poster that didn't have color, (unless it was something very crisply designed, or had a really witty saying like "My kid beat up your honor student"

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:46:36

hold on...is that a lens flare filter?

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:53:23

At 12/20/08 08:24 PM, TheL1st wrote: its a damn near perfect deisgn

cna u even name the fundementals of principles of design? liek 3 of each maybe? without googleing them

me doing so wont effect anything ive said, my comment has nothing to do with design.

cna u even spell fundamentals?

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:57:01

here comes a double post cause i cnat post 2 images at once so watch out
ones inverted and one just has other changes

simplicity poster

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 20:59:17

a good artist who doesn't listen to critiques is a bad artist

simplicity poster

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 21:01:38

I prefer the last 2 you posted, the text goes with it alot better, a thin line text would look good with it, seeing as you want to keep it simple as possible

instagram.com/five_mile_smile

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 21:20:25

does anyone think the white side bars on the inverted one would lok better in a dark red?

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 21:36:27

At 12/20/08 09:20 PM, TheL1st wrote: does anyone think the white side bars on the inverted one would lok better in a dark red?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: In my opinion it would look better the way it is. The white bars on the side act as blinders focusing your attention on your design.

Also, the word "simplicity" seems redundant on the poster, since the design itself is simplistic enough to convey that message without words.

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 21:41:07

well thats what the black ones were for in the non inverted version, just aksin yah thots

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 23:02:50

I don't think the 'tude is necessary.

I don't like the coloring of the radial white to red or really any of the other radial colors the bigger circle in the 2 smaller ones near the middle is really distracting because of the near tangency with the line that runs down the middle, the orange/green transition on the bottom 2 circles is a little ugly and you have 2 more tangencies with the black dots and the semi transparent circle towards the bottom.

I also think the text is still too large and too email generic, i'd get an even more classic looking font and run it even smaller. I'm not a huge fan of the larger black boarders you could try making them smaller but I'm not sure that would look better with actually seeing it.

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?

Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 23:16:51

At 12/20/08 08:59 PM, TheL1st wrote: a good artist who doesn't listen to critiques is a bad artist

Much better,
With the typography changes both inverted and normal look great.

I believe the typeface is perfectly fine if its too classy then it draws away from the idea of simplicity.
I think if you shrank it any more then it wouldn't balance the design out as well as it does. Designers need to remember that the lettering is just as important as the graphics so you gotta make sure they don't cancel each other out. It's important to find a nice harmony.

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 23:43:07

At 12/20/08 11:16 PM, Artist-Lost wrote:
At 12/20/08 08:59 PM, TheL1st wrote: a good artist who doesn't listen to critiques is a bad artist
Much better,

I believe the typeface is perfectly fine if its too classy then it draws away from the idea of simplicity.
I think if you shrank it any more then it wouldn't balance the design out as well as it does. Designers need to remember that the lettering is just as important as the graphics so you gotta make sure they don't cancel each other out. It's important to find a nice harmony.

true that brother

anyways to one who didnt liek the radials, i didnt make this in flash so i don't really see hwere your'e coming from? do you mean you want birghter colors that are mroe complimentary? cause i was aiming for kind of neutral

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-20 23:49:08

At 12/20/08 08:53 PM, UMREE wrote:
At 12/20/08 08:24 PM, TheL1st wrote: its a damn near perfect deisgn

me doing so wont effect anything ive said, my comment has nothing to do with design.

cna u even spell fundamentals?

one i just got off a 9 hour shift so don't give me crap about my typing ability,

anyways
this little project is all about the rules of design. this is not a fine art piece so the rules for a good compostion change drasticly

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:00:54

For a poster saying Simplicity the image isn't that simplistic.

If you're not reading Twisted Comix what is your life about?

I'm published on NG! Buy "One Shot"!

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:04:01

At 12/20/08 11:49 PM, TheL1st wrote: one i just got off a 9 hour shift so don't give me crap about my typing ability,

alright cool your jets mister.

anyways
this little project is all about the rules of design. this is not a fine art piece so the rules for a good composition change drastically

well in that case lets just say i like fine art pieces. also firefox comes with spell check so you can look well rested even after those oh so tough 9 hour shifts.

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:10:11

At 12/20/08 11:43 PM, TheL1st wrote:
At 12/20/08 11:16 PM, Artist-Lost wrote:
Much better,

true that brother

anyways to one who didnt liek the radials, i didnt make this in flash so i don't really see hwere your'e coming from? do you mean you want birghter colors that are mroe complimentary? cause i was aiming for kind of neutral

One thing, if your really interested in Graphical design like this, you should prolly snag a copy of Illustrator and InDesign. They definately help out alot, expecially Illustrator with its vectors. Personally I can't stand working in vectors, but I'm a scifi/fantasy illustrator, so crisp work isn't needed so much. However in graphic design, I often get hounded to clean up my work and use illustrator rather then photoshop.

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:10:41

At 12/21/08 12:04 AM, UMREE wrote:
At 12/20/08 11:49 PM, TheL1st wrote: one i just got off a 9 hour shift so don't give me crap about my typing ability,
alright cool your jets mister.

anyways
this little project is all about the rules of design. this is not a fine art piece so the rules for a good composition change drastically
well in that case lets just say i like fine art pieces. also firefox comes with spell check so you can look well rested even after those oh so tough 9 hour shifts

i guess we cna agree to disagree, although i enjoy a good trudgen through a museum with fancy paintings and sculptures eveyr once in a while , im a graphic designer by heart and blood (birth dad does it) and i for one suck at painting and drawing really detailed self portraits but i still got into art school so hey i guess ill be okay

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:14:54

At 12/21/08 12:00 AM, Tystarr wrote: For a poster saying Simplicity the image isn't that simplistic.

i made you a special one just for you, with extra simple sauce

takes me back to the good old days of being 7 and thinking ms paint was the superior art program

simplicity poster

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:18:52

At 12/21/08 12:10 AM, TheL1st wrote: i guess we cna agree to disagree, although i enjoy a good trudgen through a museum with fancy paintings and sculptures eveyr once in a while , im a graphic designer by heart and blood (birth dad does it) and i for one suck at painting and drawing really detailed self portraits but i still got into art school so hey i guess ill be okay

well there is money in graphic design, so you'll do better than me.
anyway sorry for ragging on your work its just my way.
i liked your "pen is mightier" though, its clever.

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:31:10

lol its chill umree i was just on edge tonite after well u know the 9 hour thing,

you should see how many review deletes i have for flash movies cause its all spammers these days and they piss me off

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:34:05

Tangencies look bad and are distracting in both design and fine art. As for the radials I mean to eliminate them entirely rather use use solid neutral colors, especially for something trying to idealize simplicity.

I'm cool now... Right guys?... Guys?

Art Thread So I don't Lose It >:(

BBS Signature

Response to simplicity poster 2008-12-21 00:40:34

here are the two versions without radials

simplicity poster