New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 11:28:23 Reply

At 12/17/08 10:49 AM, TheMaster wrote: I got asked to an interview at Lancaster, but it's on the same day as my mechanics exam.

You think they'd plan the interview so it doesn't clash with a maths exam, since I imagine most physics applicants will be doing maths. I mean granted, it's mechanics 2, which is further maths, but I'd bet a good number are doing the further as well.

They offered me a new date about an hour after I contacted them. I'm impressed.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
gregaaron89
gregaaron89
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 11:40:20 Reply

I just had my critique with my drawing teacher... he's really tough to please and he gave my final drawing (which was a deep space perspective of the Philadelphia skyline) an A-. Not to sound like a prick, but that was a little disappointing. I put all my effort into it and was really hoping for an A. I've only got one A from him this year... Though I ended up with a semester grade of A- so that made me happy.

When he asked what major I was and I told him I was an Illustration major he said that it's the major that requires the most drawing skills. He said there is illustration scholarship for freshman, and that he was going to try to get the best drawings out of the illustration majors to help us try to get it. It's a $2,000 scholarship. I was feeling really psyched at that point until he said it was only available to ONE freshman, the best of the best. I'm not the best by far though I'd say I'm somewhat better than average in some aspects. I'm really gonna push myself harder than ever now, I've already improved a lot this year and I WANT this.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 12:34:55 Reply

At 12/17/08 10:49 AM, TheMaster wrote: I got asked to an interview at Lancaster, but it's on the same day as my mechanics exam.

You think they'd plan the interview so it doesn't clash with a maths exam, since I imagine most physics applicants will be doing maths. I mean granted, it's mechanics 2, which is further maths, but I'd bet a good number are doing the further as well.

Just remember, every college is different. For example, most will be on a different exam board to you. And anyway, I took single maths, and still did M2. At my college, you could either do S1 in AS year and S2 in A2 year, or M1 in AS year, and M2 in A2 year. If you did Further maths, you did all four, plus whatever else.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 12:41:48 Reply

At 12/17/08 12:34 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Just remember, every college is different. For example, most will be on a different exam board to you. And anyway, I took single maths, and still did M2. At my college, you could either do S1 in AS year and S2 in A2 year, or M1 in AS year, and M2 in A2 year. If you did Further maths, you did all four, plus whatever else.

I did C1, C2 and S1 for maths AS, C3, C4 and M1 for maths A2, and I'm doing FP1, S2 and M2 for further AS, and FP2, FP3 and D1 for further A2.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 16:56:54 Reply

Well, just got done with my last final of the semester!

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 17:03:57 Reply

At 12/17/08 04:56 PM, milinko959 wrote: Well, just got done with my last final of the semester!

Good for you. How do you think you did on them?

darknessdweller
darknessdweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 17:50:55 Reply

Can we also come to this thread to ask things about college and college life?

Because I am a little curious about some college-related things.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-17 20:49:22 Reply

At 12/17/08 05:50 PM, darknessdweller wrote: Can we also come to this thread to ask things about college and college life?

Because I am a little curious about some college-related things.

Yeah man.. if you read through the opening post that I made I said something along the lines that it's alright for people to post and ask things about college even if they aren't in college yet. So ask away and I'm sure several members here can answer your questions.

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 01:17:01 Reply

At 12/17/08 04:56 PM, milinko959 wrote: Well, just got done with my last final of the semester!

Hey - congrats man. I won't have that feeling until Friday, but I can't wait.

Frankly, I'm just happy my exams are over before Christmas. At my undergrad university, all of the exams were after Christmas vacation. It was terrible having my coursework hanging over my head while trying to celebrate the holidays.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 06:04:49 Reply

Congratulations dude, feels great to be free doesn't it? I just finished on Monday myself, not back again till January 26th or so. How do you think they went?

At 12/18/08 01:17 AM, Timmy wrote: Hey - congrats man. I won't have that feeling until Friday, but I can't wait.

Good luck with that exam, what is it for?

Frankly, I'm just happy my exams are over before Christmas. At my undergrad university, all of the exams were after Christmas vacation. It was terrible having my coursework hanging over my head while trying to celebrate the holidays.

Seriously? I can't imagine how much that must have sucked, wanting to clear your head and recharge over the holidays but having exams looming all the while. At least it's no longer a concern for you.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 06:58:05 Reply

Yay, last day for me today before christmas break!
I have a lecutre tomorrow, but I don't think I will show up there. It's basically on the other side of the town which means that I have to travel about one hour to even get there... and I'm too damn lazy.
Plus, I plan on going to a concert tomorrow evening, so I can't waste my energy by attending a lecutre! XD

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

darknessdweller
darknessdweller
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 16:57:03 Reply

Well ok.

At college, do you guys have to cook and buy your own meals? Or do you have a cafeteria with meals in them where you can eat anytime you don't have class?

And are the dorm rooms small and drafty? Do they have windows, bunk beds, or closets?

What kind of stuff do you mainly learn about? And are the finals and other tests hard? (tests include the tests to be filled out to get into college)

Do you guys have free periods, gym class, alot of time between classes, and/or night classes?

That's all I have time to ask for today. Dinner's almost ready.
Cheers :D

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 17:12:28 Reply

At 12/18/08 04:57 PM, darknessdweller wrote: Well ok.

Well I'm telling you that everyones experiences in college are different. That's the great thing about college is that you can do what you want to do. So you could get completely different answers from different people.

At college, do you guys have to cook and buy your own meals? Or do you have a cafeteria with meals in them where you can eat anytime you don't have class?

Whatever you want. You can buy stuff and cook it yourself, go out to eat, eat at the cafeteria on campus, etc..

The cafeteria usually has certain times that it's open, but you can go during any of those times throughout the day. Where I'm at I can only eat at the cafeteria 14 times a week, which is usually twice a day unless I skip a day or get extremely hungry during a day and I need to mix the meals up a little bit. For me it's all you can eat and you pay for it before the year starts.

And are the dorm rooms small and drafty? Do they have windows, bunk beds, or closets?

Depends really. I had a room last year that was big enough to room 5 people. There were only 3 other people in it along with me. (4 in total) There was a lot of room and we had 2 large windows, two bunk beds, that you could take apart into 4 separate single beds, and we all had our own closet.

In my room this year, it's pretty small. Just enough for two people. We had one bunk bed or two separate beds, two closets, and one window.

What kind of stuff do you mainly learn about?

You learn about mainly what you are going to college for. I'm going to be an Elementary Teacher so I learn about teaching strategies and a lot of things about children.

And are the finals and other tests hard? (tests include the tests to be filled out to get into college)

The tests to get into college? The SAT's? I found them alright. Not really too hard and not really too easy. The tests at college really aren't that bad either. I'm having a hard time finding the difficulty between tests in high school and the ones in college except for perhaps the ones in college are longer. Not really that much harder though. I'm sure that's not true in some people's majors.

Do you guys have free periods, gym class, alot of time between classes, and/or night classes?

No free periods, no gym classes (unless you going to be a gym teacher), and the time between classes is completely up to you. You get to pick what classes you take and you get to create your own schedule. Sometimes it's not the schedule you want, but you get to take what you want when you want. Usually true unless the classes fill up. I have my classes early in the morning and none at night. I know some people have some late at night and none in the morning and then some people even have them in the middle of the day. You can even sometimes set it up so you don't have classes on certain days, but of course that means other days are busier.

That's all I have time to ask for today. Dinner's almost ready.
Cheers :D

Alright, anymore questions just ask.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 17:48:18 Reply

At 12/18/08 04:57 PM, darknessdweller wrote: At college, do you guys have to cook and buy your own meals? Or do you have a cafeteria with meals in them where you can eat anytime you don't have class?

There's a cafteria in my halls but that's because some people are in catered accomodation. Generally, cook your own shit you lazy bum.

Small. And jesus christ, we're not at prison? Windows? Closets? Of course.......... :\

What kind of stuff do you mainly learn about? And are the finals and other tests hard? (tests include the tests to be filled out to get into college)

....whatever's on the course. And tests aren't too hard, they're only as hard as the amount of work you skip. And I didn't have to do any tests to get into uni.

It'll vary ridiculously from uni to uni, year to year, and from course to course, but last semester I had about 16 hours of contact time a week. All of it before 4pm.

BBS Signature
Piromano
Piromano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 19:44:32 Reply

Man, I'm so f***ed up now...
I must pass two final exams in order to be in third year, and I only could pass one

My last oportunity is in March, so... Wish me luck guys!

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-18 23:08:21 Reply

At 12/18/08 06:04 AM, RohantheBarbarian wrote:
At 12/18/08 01:17 AM, Timmy wrote: Hey - congrats man. I won't have that feeling until Friday, but I can't wait.
Good luck with that exam, what is it for?

Ugh...Criminal Law. The class should have been really interesting, but the teacher is a relic from the old Law School style, and relies solely on the Socratic Method.

For those of you who don't know (I didn't before I got to law school), the Socratic Method is a style of teaching in which the teacher will randomly call people in the class to answer a question, explain an issue in a case or something of that nature. You don't volunteer for questions, you just get picked on, and if you don't know the answer they will mark it down in their book. You can't ask questions of your own, and there is no lecturing - meaning that you must learn everything through the QandA that occurs during the class.

Now most professors have realized that this method, while it certainly keeps the students on their toes and prepares them to think quickly - it just isn't the best method of teaching. Most of my professors this semester used a mixed style of Socratic and Lecturing, where they would call on a few people to ask about a certain rule or case, but then they would stop and explain what we are supposed to learn from the issue.

However, my Crim Law teacher relies solely on the QandA, so my notes from the class are a series of questions that either a) Don't have an answer that seem to be correct, or b) have 15 answers, all of with may be correct. Because he doesn't go back and tell us which students got it right and which ones didn't, I have very little idea of what he wants on this exam.

Seriously? I can't imagine how much that must have sucked, wanting to clear your head and recharge over the holidays but having exams looming all the while. At least it's no longer a concern for you.

Yeah - last year I was doing studying on Christmas Day. I wanted to kill myself.

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 00:24:03 Reply

At 12/18/08 04:57 PM, darknessdweller wrote: At college, do you guys have to cook and buy your own meals? Or do you have a cafeteria with meals in them where you can eat anytime you don't have class?

If you live on campus usually you are require to have some sort of meal plan that you can use at the cafeteria or anywhere on campus. If you live off campus you can still go to the cafeteria but you would have to pay out of pocket.

Small yes; drafty depends on how old your dorm is. When I lived on campus my room was about the size of a typical living room. And yes it has window, bunks, etc. it's not fancy but you have them.

I don't know about my counterparts in the UK but in the US for the first two years you typically learn general knowledge topic. Everything from history, chemistry, political science, to fine arts to make you a well-rounded knowledgeable person. In your upperclassmen years, you will take more advance classes in your major. Depending on your class, test can be hard or not according to your tastes; if you like essays or multiple choice or not each class tests different.

Test to get in to college? I took the ACT which is different from the SAT on scoring and such. If you do well in high school you should do fine on it.

If you mean like recess, then no but classes are what you sign up for. I'm a terrible morning person so I usually have classes at 10:30 until 5 ish and only took night classes if I had to (of course you can't always get what you want). Class scheduling is very flexible. Some days, I would have a gap for lunch, others they were all back to back, or worse case a morning class and a late evening class.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 01:05:18 Reply

I finished last night. I did 110 questions in 35 minutes which should say how much I wanted to be finished for the semester.

Now I get to work, and hang out afterwards and sip on beers for a month. Sweet.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 08:09:35 Reply

Just worth noting, in England you get pretty much zero in the way of scheduling your own classes.

So fuck you guys, last semester I had a single lecture at 9am on a Thursday and nothing else, and Wednesday's the big student night in town.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 08:19:32 Reply

At 12/16/08 01:05 AM, gumOnShoe wrote: My right hand will be demobilized for a bit.

Hope it doesn't affect your banning ability :/

Term ends for me today, and there's a massive party at the Student Union night club. It's going to be insane, although I'm sad that I didn't buy more tickets instead of just my own; as they're all sold out now, people will pay you anything up to 10 times as much just so they can get in. This means that you can buy a ticket for £5 and potentially sell it on the night for around £30-50. Wasn't thinking about that at the time I was buying mine though... I just wanted to get a ticket for myself before they sold out.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 09:03:56 Reply

So, last exam was yesterday. I had about five hours to study for it, but luckily it's one of my better subjects, so it was all fairly straightforward anyway. The only problem was that it was six questions in three hours. I only had three minutes left at the end, not really enough to check shit. I'm fairly confident in all my methods though, so whatevs.

Which means this fucking semester is FINALLY OVER, assuming I passed reaction engineering, which I almost certainly did.

Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-19 12:50:15 Reply

Just got back from my last exam, and I think I did....well...I finished it!

In a couple hours I leave for my parent's house for 3 fun-filled weeks of vacation.

Sadly, Newgrounds will be put on hold during that time period.

Have a great Christmas and New Years, guys.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-23 21:01:18 Reply

Looks like this club has been a little dead since Xmas break has started, which is understandable. I'm sure it will pick up once break is over.

How is everyone's break going?

Mine isn't too bad. I haven't done too much, but I should be looking into my books here pretty soon. I guess like three of the books that I need cost over 100 each. I also spent around 140 dollars today in Xmas presents for people. That leaves me with about 10 dollars for books. >.< I'll figure it out one way or another.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-24 17:05:12 Reply

Corky: Check out abebooks.com. You can order used books and international editions for a fraction of the cost of shit at the bookstore. I'm in engineering, and even my books cost me under $100 this year.

As for the break, I'm really getting sick of spending so much time around my family. Today I went to the mall for three hours just to avoid them, and I really hate the mall.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-26 23:57:08 Reply

At 12/24/08 05:05 PM, Elfer wrote: Corky: Check out abebooks.com. You can order used books and international editions for a fraction of the cost of shit at the bookstore. I'm in engineering, and even my books cost me under $100 this year.

Nice I will have to check it out here in a week or sometime soon. Any help would be nice. I think three of my books cost 100 dollars or something like that. I don't know for sure, something that I'm not really worried about at the moment. I'm still on Xmas break so I'm not really going to think about that stuff much.

As for the break, I'm really getting sick of spending so much time around my family. Today I went to the mall for three hours just to avoid them, and I really hate the mall.

I know how that is. I just get tired of my dads attitude. I would never say anything to him since he is paying for my college and everything, but he has to be one of the biggest assholes in the world.

Does anyone know how their schedule is going to end up looking next semester?

Mine is extremely busy on Mondays with around 6 classes, but the rest of the week is rather empty. Two classes everyday for the rest of the week. I can finally sleep in on some days also, which is a big change because I've always had early classes.

That also brings up the subject about class times. Would you rather have early classes, classes during the day, or night classes?

Me personally I don't mind the morning classes since I get them over with and have the rest of the day to do whatever I want, but I really do like to sleep in so having classes during the day seem to be the best fit for me.

BBS Signature
Elfer
Elfer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-27 00:45:57 Reply

At 12/26/08 11:57 PM, Corky52 wrote: I know how that is. I just get tired of my dads attitude. I would never say anything to him since he is paying for my college and everything, but he has to be one of the biggest assholes in the world.

See, our interaction is more prone to flare-ups because my parents AREN'T paying for my college, so there's really not much they can do to me if we get into an argument.

ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-30 21:05:04 Reply

Hey guys, Ikool with another question...

Ok, well, like every other indian child forced to be a doctor, I'm taking sciences in UBC (if i get in of course). About how long do doctor...ing courses take? I know I gotta do a whole buncha sciences, then go to med school, and then do an apprentaceship thingy... How long does all that stuff take?

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-30 23:19:59 Reply

In the UK, it's seven years, although several are in a hospital, being paid, etc.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2009-01-01 23:34:51 Reply

At 12/27/08 12:45 AM, Elfer wrote:
At 12/26/08 11:57 PM, Corky52 wrote: I know how that is. I just get tired of my dads attitude. I would never say anything to him since he is paying for my college and everything, but he has to be one of the biggest assholes in the world.
See, our interaction is more prone to flare-ups because my parents AREN'T paying for my college, so there's really not much they can do to me if we get into an argument.

Yeah, exactly. I can handle it for a little bit longer. Hell, in a little bit I will be completely done and won't have to worry about it anymore.

Also, thanks for that website. You are going to save me around 200-300 dollars on books this semester. That helps so much. I'm getting them from that website from now on.

At 12/30/08 09:05 PM, ikool wrote: Hey guys, Ikool with another question...

Ok, well, like every other indian child forced to be a doctor, I'm taking sciences in UBC (if i get in of course). About how long do doctor...ing courses take? I know I gotta do a whole buncha sciences, then go to med school, and then do an apprentaceship thingy... How long does all that stuff take?

Hmm, well I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking it's 8 years in America. My old roommate's girlfriend was going for this and I think she had to be in school for 8 years.

Also, how was everyones New Years?

BBS Signature
FroFro52
FroFro52
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2009-01-05 14:24:51 Reply

At 1/1/09 11:34 PM, Corky52 wrote:
At 12/30/08 09:05 PM, ikool wrote: Hey guys, Ikool with another question...

Hmm, well I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking it's 8 years in America. My old roommate's girlfriend was going for this and I think she had to be in school for 8 years.

I'm sure it's more than 8 years. My uncle is a doctor and I'm pretty positive he went for 4 years undergrad., then 4 years graduate, and however long he needed in medical school. I haven't really heard of people going for just 8 years though, I could be wrong.

Also, how was everyones New Years?

It was good. I was with you. :)