New Topic Respond to this Topic
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-24 09:38:18 Reply

At 10/24/11 06:21 AM, Ejit wrote: What do you lot do in terms of notes? I'm not the type to learn from making notes in a lecture, and the slides are always available, but it just feels lazy not to be doing anything.

We sometimes get handouts, most of our lectures are recorded and made available to download, and the powerpoints are available, I don't see a reason to use up paper on notes as of yet.

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-24 13:58:00 Reply

At 10/24/11 06:21 AM, Ejit wrote: What do you lot do in terms of notes?

The only class that I took notes in was my maths classes. Even then it wasn't really notes, it was just copying out what the lecturer did because they never used slides. Plus, with something likes maths I wont learn unless I actually write stuff down. All the rest of my classes though I don't take notes. The slides are made available and they've been enough for me to pass all my exams on the first attempt so far.

One of our lecturers this semester always seems shocked that people don't take notes. She claims that the slides alone wont cover all the content as she is able to set exam questions based on anything she has said in class. I still don't really find all that much to take notes on that aren't in the slides.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-24 15:08:31 Reply

I always took notes and then copied the most important things from my notes over to note cards that I could carry around with me. That way if I had a test coming up I could just pull them out of my pocket and study. I rarely studied though, but just writing them down and copying them again was usually enough repetition for me to remember most of the information.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-24 19:46:45 Reply

The professor that marked my computing assignment has just tried to scam me out of a whole percent by saying I didn't plot a trendline, even though nowhere in the assessment did it ask for me to plot a trendline. Needless to say I have sent them a very aggressive email saying I shouldn't be marked down for not doing something I wasn't asked to do.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-24 20:07:09 Reply

I take notes in every lecture because that's how physics is taught. Chalk and talk is the best way to lecture anyway, I get NOTHING from powerpoints. Our lectures consist of something being explained, and then notes for it being written up on the blackboard. Copy down everything the lecturer writes and you get a pretty solid set of notes.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-25 05:28:13 Reply

At 10/24/11 07:46 PM, SomaGuye wrote: The professor that marked my computing assignment has just tried to scam me out of a whole percent

wow its almost as if you lost a single percentage of coursework that is probably about 5% of your module, which is under 10% of your year, which is worth nothing anyway

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-25 22:55:07 Reply

Sat down with my communications prof. and wrote up my first resume. You guys'd be proud.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-26 08:12:12 Reply

Went out last night for a girl from my halls birthday and got absolutely fucked, subsequently missed all my lectures today.

They guy I was walking home with got seperated from me as well, apparently he got mugged by three huge asians after we got split up, hip hip London.

AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-26 13:58:21 Reply

At 10/26/11 03:17 AM, Ejit wrote: Trying to write my first essay, really baffling not having been given any example essays or anything, having to use references and so on. It's really foreign to me.

I've also been going for runs in the mornings and there's a cat on campus that no one seems to own that runs the last leg with me, which is kind of cool. Gets you looks though.

Essay writing skills are something they stress at the very end of High School, at least at my school my teacher did. Every other assignment in my English IV was insistent drilling on any which topic. Why didn't you pick it up?

Writing essays are simple....the have an introduction, a body with main points and a wrap-up conclusion. (A beginning, middle, and end) You shouldn't need a template if they had taught you. Go looking for workshops on campus about writing skills, I'm sure they'll help you.

And I swear that I've seen the embodiment of the three campus ghosts and the goddess Minerva casually walking around (aka 4 female students trolling) in my general vicinity. All in their vintage 1906 style of fashion....lololol. I've been trolled.

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-27 09:51:15 Reply

Phew. My presentation is over and done with. It wasn't so bad once I got started, it was just the waiting for it that was nerve racking. I should have done alright and I don't think that I particularly messed anything up, so that's always a plus.

Now it's time to try and get the remaining 3 pieces of coursework out of the way:
- Modelling a creature in OpenGL using our initials
- Creating some kind of small expert system using Clips
- Some kind of logic assignment where, I shit you not, we get 5 marks for answering the question "Do you understand the course?" with "yes". The lecturer seems quite eccentric, but I she seems to know what she's doing.

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-27 13:09:27 Reply

At 10/26/11 04:15 PM, Ejit wrote:
At 10/26/11 01:58 PM, AngryBombshell wrote:
At 10/26/11 03:17 AM, Ejit wrote: Trying to write my first essay, really baffling not having been given any example essays or anything, having to use references and so on. It's really foreign to me.
Essay writing skills are something they stress at the very end of High School, at least at my school my teacher did. Every other assignment in my English IV was insistent drilling on any which topic. Why didn't you pick it up?

Writing essays are simple....the have an introduction, a body with main points and a wrap-up conclusion. (A beginning, middle, and end) You shouldn't need a template if they had taught you. Go looking for workshops on campus about writing skills, I'm sure they'll help you.
For one, because I studied in a completely different education system than you and have taken no essay based subjects in 3 years.
For another, the format that is foreign to me is, in particular, scientific essay writing with the emphasis on referencing and objectivity.

I'm not looking for a template, and the essay advisor has been off sick.

I think you're exaggerating just how helpless I sounded. It was a minor inconvenience that I felt worth commenting on.

I'm not in any position to knock your writing skills (go back a page and read the last comment) as I've said I really didn't know how to write a resume.

The way you worded your post suggested to me that you were in dire need of help and bewilderment of not knowing what to do, which would be out of character for someone who actually made it to college.

Scientific essays use APA for references I think. I don't know because I haven't and probably won't ever write a professional report on scientific findings.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-27 13:14:45 Reply

I've come to the realisation that although my lectures are recorded and I can catch up whenever, they are 2 hours each which racks up to a huge time investment if I miss too many.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-31 03:21:01 Reply

What the flying fuck fire drill at 7am on a monday morning god damn sadistic hall staff.

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-31 03:54:31 Reply

I'm not in college, but I'm considering it. I got a question to all the college students here.

How do you balance work with school, and free time? Also, is it easier to get a job first, and schedule your schooling around your job, or enroll first and get a job with hours based around schooling?

I ask this, because I just got a job at subway, starting out part time, but could move into full time, and I want to enroll in community college, but I'm not sure if I should right away, or if I should wait. I'm 20 yrs. old btw, and I don't want to be working at subway my whole life.(or even for more than 2-3 yrs if I have to)

Just curious.

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-10-31 06:54:39 Reply

At 10/31/11 03:21 AM, SomaGuye wrote: What the flying fuck fire drill at 7am on a monday morning god damn sadistic hall staff.

We had some jackass set the fire alarm off deliberately at least once a week in my halls. From what I gathered, he was eventually caught, fined and I assume removed from the university and from then on I was rarely disturbed by early morning fire alarms again.

We had one scheduled fire drill that I can recall and they decided to do it at 5:30am. I was not a happy bunny.

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-01 13:11:47 Reply

At 10/31/11 03:54 AM, WallofYawn wrote: I'm not in college, but I'm considering it. I got a question to all the college students here.

How do you balance work with school, and free time? Also, is it easier to get a job first, and schedule your schooling around your job, or enroll first and get a job with hours based around schooling?

I ask this, because I just got a job at subway, starting out part time, but could move into full time, and I want to enroll in community college, but I'm not sure if I should right away, or if I should wait. I'm 20 yrs. old btw, and I don't want to be working at subway my whole life.(or even for more than 2-3 yrs if I have to)

Just curious.

You need to sit down and work out a schedule that you can fit everything into.

Sometimes I feel like 'shit -- I can't do this because I have an evening class'. Figure out what time of day person you are and try to register your classes around that time. I couldn't when I got here and I feel a bit screwed cuz it's not exactly how I want it.

Co-curriculars and school programs ALL usually happen in evening hours. If you want to work you may not even have time for extra clubs either, you'll want minimal amounts of hours. Also, figure out your priorities first. Some of the hardest courses require material outside of just attending...it keeps you busy. You may not even want to work at Subway at the end of the day because you'll feel bogged down.

Or just live off financial aid for a little while.

WallofYawn
WallofYawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-01 14:41:01 Reply

Thanks for the advice Angry Bombshell. :)

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-09 20:06:22 Reply

I've noticed that since I've gotten to college, I've had a ton of soup. Like, in the last few months, I must've had 30 of those small microwavable Campbells soup things. They're cheap and easy to make. Anyone else like this?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-09 20:34:13 Reply

I signed up for beginners German classes. Did it for a year at school but didn't take any languages at GCSE so I've forgotten everything. It's refreshingly easy next to the nightmarish fourier transform stuff in Experimental Techniques or the utterly baffling Physical Optics (although I'm not sure how much of that is down the the subject, and how much to the shite lecturer).

At 11/9/11 08:06 PM, ZJ wrote: I've noticed that since I've gotten to college, I've had a ton of soup. Like, in the last few months, I must've had 30 of those small microwavable Campbells soup things. They're cheap and easy to make. Anyone else like this?

I live on Fray Bentos steak pies.

£1 from ASDA, 30 minutes in the oven. Stick some chips in with them, or boil some potatoes and veg. I have one with almost every meal.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-10 05:48:58 Reply

At 11/9/11 08:06 PM, ZJ wrote: I've noticed that since I've gotten to college, I've had a ton of soup. Like, in the last few months, I must've had 30 of those small microwavable Campbells soup things. They're cheap and easy to make. Anyone else like this?

In my first year (and to a lesser but still reasonable extent, the rest of uni) I lived off cup-a-soup. Y'know, the power you put in a mug and add boiling water? It's like 50p for a pack of five decent quality cup-a-soups. Delish.

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-10 18:00:28 Reply

Just signed up for classes... I got NONE of the ones i initially wanted... woohoo....... Great start to a second semester...

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-11 04:50:28 Reply

Feel like I have so much coursework to do and so little time to do it. Doesn't help that Skyrim and Battlefield 3 are stealing so much of my time.

I think I have just under two weeks to finish an OpenGL model and the documentation to go with it and to write an expert system in CLIPS and provide an essay.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-13 12:21:10 Reply

Tomorrow marks the start of my final two weeks before the exam period begins. Managed to basically complete one piece of coursework yesterday. Just have some finishing touches to do and documentation to write.

I'm not really looking forward to these exams. Mainly because I feel like I don't know the content of the lectures all that well and just because it means having to sit an exam.

5th Dec: Computer Graphics
8th Dec: Artificial Intelligence & Intelligent Agents
14th Dec: Foundations 1

I think in order of difficulty, starting with hardest first, I'd rate them as: Computer Graphics, Foundations 1, Artificial Intelligence

I'm not expecting any of them to be fairly easy either way.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-13 12:58:14 Reply

I wish I got exams throughout the year, I get all of mine in one go in the summer. It's a nightmare.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-13 13:39:10 Reply

At 11/13/11 12:58 PM, TheMaster wrote: I wish I got exams throughout the year, I get all of mine in one go in the summer. It's a nightmare.

Ouch,. How many do you have to sit? Usually I have four at Christmas and four before the summer. Thankfully this year 2 modules have been combined into one exam, meaning I have one less to sit at Christmas.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-13 14:05:07 Reply

At 11/13/11 01:39 PM, Dean wrote:
At 11/13/11 12:58 PM, TheMaster wrote: I wish I got exams throughout the year, I get all of mine in one go in the summer. It's a nightmare.
Ouch,. How many do you have to sit? Usually I have four at Christmas and four before the summer. Thankfully this year 2 modules have been combined into one exam, meaning I have one less to sit at Christmas.

10 last year, probably roughly the same this year. I had 4 in one day last time.

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-13 14:48:52 Reply

At 11/11/11 11:07 AM, Ejit wrote: Does anyone know how strict word counts generally are?

All of mine seem to be plus or minus 10% of the suggested word count.

Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-14 04:53:47 Reply

At 11/13/11 02:05 PM, TheMaster wrote: I had 4 in one day last time.

I have no idea how you are able to pull that off. That would just be too much for me. I get annoyed if I discover that I have an exam the day after another, forget having multiple on the same day.

Thankfully this semester there's a gap between my exams, providing me with what will probably be needed revision time. I have a nasty habit of not starting my revision until a couple of days before the exam. It hasn't failed me yet, but it does seem like a stupid strategy.

BBS Signature
AngryBombshell
AngryBombshell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-14 05:21:28 Reply

My registration window just 5 hours ago, and I hopped to it. I was up at 3 so I was like fuck it.

Anyway here's my schedule for Jan-Apr next semester.

3-D Foundations,
Design 1
College Algebra
ENG 101
Practical Reasoning
Contemporary Moral Problems

(not related) It's so hard to be a normal guy here. To fit in here you either have to be a big gay guy or an idiot who runs around the hall ways all night. On my hall, whatever the relationship a guy has to someone I know (friend of a friend?) he wanted to be all sensitive because I wouldn't say hey to him. Sigh. I can't even go to the caf without getting swarmed. WHY CAN'T I EAT MY FOOD ALONE.

SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club 2011-11-14 05:27:23 Reply

At 11/14/11 05:21 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: 3-D Foundations,
Design 1
College Algebra
ENG 101
Practical Reasoning
Contemporary Moral Problems

Can someone explain to me how this American system of choosing classes works? None of these classes seem related to me.