New Topic Respond to this Topic
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-07 11:06:05 Reply

At 12/7/08 02:55 AM, ikool wrote: Did any of you guys get scholarships or anything when you were goin to collage/ uni?

Nope, my grades were just too bad (I think I had the second worst "Abitur" in my class... -_-), but the Uni I attend isn't that expensive anyway (compared to other countries).
It's because in my country it's the states job to educate it's people. So all universities and schools (except for private schools and unis of course) are more or less free.
I only have to pay around 270 Euro per semester for things like cheap food in the mensa and my semester ticket (for public transportation) plus currently another 375 Euro tuition fee. But that tuition is highly controversial, because - as I've already stated - education should be free and not a matter of if I/my parents can afford it.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-07 15:15:55 Reply

At 12/7/08 10:20 AM, Corky52 wrote: Ah, I wish I could borrow you for a little bit and let you take my Economics exam that I have Friday. I really don't understand the subject that much. I'm sure the teacher wouldn't know the difference. You want to come over and pretend to be me and take this test? I can pay for gas and an extra 100 to 200 dollars perhaps. =P

I don't think my car would make the trip, but in reality you can just PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can help.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
gumOnShoe
gumOnShoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-07 19:57:52 Reply

[ ] Two chapters of a thesis due next week.
[X] Defend my thesis proposal friday.
[ 1/2 done ]30 pages of original fiction due next week.
[X]Take home exam due friday.
[X]3 page essay due tomorrow.
[X]Read 40 pages of fiction for tomorrow.
[ 1/2 done ] Give a presentation tuesday taking up the entirety of an hour and a half class period.
[X] Deal with final bits of registration for next semester.
[ ]A final exam saturday.
[ ]A final exam and take home essay questions saturday:

Pushing through.

Newgrounds Anthology? 20,000 Word Max. [Submit]

Music? Click Sig:

BBS Signature
Randy74
Randy74
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-07 20:26:28 Reply

Cool, a college life club :D Hi. I currently attend ASA Institute of Business and Computer technology and I'm majoring in computer engineering. To tell you the truth, I didn't always want to become a computer engineer and I never built a computer myself or the fascination to do so. It's just that I am around computers a lot that I decided to take the major. I'm thinking about transferring to Stony Brook University and continue on there. It's pretty cool so far in college. I get to travel a lot more, meet more diverse people that come from a lot of places. There is a bigger age gap then in high school.

People in college are definitely more mature. I already been to a few parties and it was fun. Once I transfer, I hope that I live in a dorm. Some of my friends really enjoy living on their own and I want to see how that feels like. I hope I get a really good carrer that I enjoy and pays good after college, that is what I mostly worry about.

Check out my profile! l Did Adam and Eve have bellybuttons?

BBS Signature
Timmy
Timmy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Art Lover
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-08 17:13:30 Reply

This sounds like a fun club. Even if I've already gotten my bachelors, can I still join?

Anyway, I graduated from a 4-year university this past spring, where I was a history major, and began attending law school at Temple University (in Philadelphia) this past fall.

I'm just finishing out my first semester and exams start on Friday. Law School is a little different than undergrad, since we don't have any assignments or exams during the regular semester - we just have one large exam that covers everything at the end. Even so, the amount of reading, briefing and preparation that goes into each class session outweighs any assignments that professors might give.

Luckily I have Newgrounds here to provide stress-relief from the chaos of school. :D

At 12/7/08 07:57 PM, gumOnShoe wrote: [ ] Two chapters of a thesis due next week.

Ugh...I hated doing my thesis. 90 pages of boring. Good luck with yours.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature
Piromano
Piromano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-08 20:26:03 Reply

At 12/7/08 10:20 AM, Corky52 wrote:
If you don't know, in Argentina we have "National" universities which are free, and "private" universities which are not free. I'm in a private one :P
The reason? I dind't get to pass the entry exam. So I decided to enter in a private one (because I dind't want to wait A YEAR to tro to pass the exam again)
So would you say that the free ones are harder to get into? Like you have to take an entry exam to get into the free one or you could just pay to get into the private one?

It depends on which university you want to enter.
The most important ones (UNLP (Universidad Nacional De La Plata) and UBA (Universidad de Buenos Aires) have two different "methods"

In UNLP, you have an entry exam; and in UBA, you have an extra year which you have to pass exams and then final exams. If you can pass all, yo can enter to the career.

In private university, you can have an entry exam or not. (I had one...)

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-08 20:55:03 Reply

What sorts of benefits does everyone's colleges offer? (probably taken from your tuitions)
the ones that I know of are:
-free bus rides
-access to all rec centers
-discount on sports games and shows in the city
-renting video games for free

I think those are most of the important ones (for me anyway). might have other benefits that I don't know about probably.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

Tluck-Person
Tluck-Person
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-09 01:22:08 Reply

At 12/8/08 08:55 PM, Fleshlight wrote: What sorts of benefits does everyone's colleges offer? (probably taken from your tuitions)
-free bus rides
I think those are most of the important ones (for me anyway). might have other benefits that I don't know about probably.

I get the following stuff:
-Bussing all around campus and to the South Campus (my classes are on the North Campus)
-Discounts on all clubs available to the public (I got my ski club for $119. Normally it's $250, and on top of that, you get a choice of about 3 places in which you get to go to each year. Talk about a value!)
-Get in free to all sports events on campus (I believe we get discount tickets to this year's International Bowl in Toronto, as well. GO BUFFALO!)
-Free Game Room
-Random days in which the Student Association provides free food (one day, we had a 30 foot long banana split in the student union. It was amazing)

The campus is huge, but you can pretty much get to all your classes inside, and seeing as it's in Buffalo, it's cold as hell outside these days. Not like I can't handle it. I was born here haha.

I think...I hate... dick.

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-09 02:31:48 Reply

So here I am writing this and the material I should be studying is sitting right next to me. I'm staring at it now. I should get at least one chapter of it done tonight but again here I am writing this post. This is the cycle that consumes me, and it just so happened to occur during finals week (I have one tomorrow btw). I really hate my procrastination but I can't get motivated right now to do anything. As soon as I hit the post button I'm really going to try and turn away from the computer. Wish me luck in that endeavor.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Tluck-Person
Tluck-Person
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-09 02:54:30 Reply

At 12/9/08 02:31 AM, 36Holla wrote: So here I am writing this and the material I should be studying is sitting right next to me. I'm staring at it now. I should get at least one chapter of it done tonight but again here I am writing this post. This is the cycle that consumes me, and it just so happened to occur during finals week (I have one tomorrow btw). I really hate my procrastination but I can't get motivated right now to do anything. As soon as I hit the post button I'm really going to try and turn away from the computer. Wish me luck in that endeavor.

I am so easily distracted. I should be sleeping for my exam at 8 AM, but my normal sleep pattern does not allow me to do this haha. Anyways, 2 exams on the agenda for "today", the 2 being Computer Science at 8 (all Java, and all bullshit) and World Civilizations at 3:30, so I'm gonna have a nice gap.

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-09 03:14:37 Reply

At 12/8/08 08:55 PM, Fleshlight wrote: What sorts of benefits does everyone's colleges offer? (probably taken from your tuitions)

Ha. The fees are on par with the tuition at OU for in-staters, but the things that I really benefited from were the discounted/free software and the very cushy work-study job. Also, some of the local businesses offer student discounts (I really enjoyed the Waffle House discount especially after last call).

At 12/9/08 02:31 AM, 36Holla wrote: . . . This is the cycle that consumes me, and it just so happened to occur during finals week (I have one tomorrow btw). I really hate my procrastination but I can't get motivated right now to do anything. As soon as I hit the post button I'm really going to try and turn away from the computer. Wish me luck in that endeavor.

I've been done with school for four months and that's one thing I don't miss; the all-nighters at the student union with three or four cans of energy drink to study for a final, especially the 8 am kind. I had terrible senioritis and I was glad when it was over.
Good luck, though.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-09 12:56:12 Reply

My first semester was so damn easy. I got an A in all my art classes without putting in that much effort; A in my Rhet class and I started and finished all my papers the morning they were due; not sure what I'm going to get in my History class, but I'm pretty sure it can't be less than a C (hoping for a B as long as I get at least a C+ on my final).

and now I'm thinking about taking an internship to disneyworld for the summer...

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 12:02:28 Reply

Got asked to an interview by Manchester University, although from the looks of the email everyone who applied probably did. Still, at least it's something.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 12:47:34 Reply

At 12/9/08 02:31 AM, 36Holla wrote: So here I am writing this and the material I should be studying is sitting right next to me. I'm staring at it now. I should get at least one chapter of it done tonight but again here I am writing this post. This is the cycle that consumes me, and it just so happened to occur during finals week (I have one tomorrow btw). I really hate my procrastination but I can't get motivated right now to do anything. As soon as I hit the post button I'm really going to try and turn away from the computer. Wish me luck in that endeavor.

Good luck with that. I'm in somewhat of a similar predicament at the moment myself. My Ecology notes are open about two feet away from my keyboard but I just can't force myself to study right now. Fortunately my Biology final isn't until Saturday (yes, Saturday) so I can afford to procrastinate a little, but I really need to force myself to buckle down and do some work soon.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 13:02:54 Reply

At 12/10/08 12:02 PM, TheMaster wrote: Got asked to an interview by Manchester University, although from the looks of the email everyone who applied probably did. Still, at least it's something.

It's essentially an open day. There's just a little interview to make sure you're not bollocking your way through your personal statement, it's very informal. Smart casual will be fine, no need for suit and a tie.

Hell, at Canterbury they even said "We're going to offer everyone we've invited here today a place, regardless of your interview".

BBS Signature
36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 13:41:40 Reply

I just finished my final for the course that was a requirement for me to graduate in my major. I was expecting to do bad but the questions they gave us was some of the less complex stuff. I also looked over my notes to see the answers to a few questions that I didn't know and guessed on and I got at least 3 out of 6 of those right which is a good sign. I'm really relived right now about it even though I have two more tough finals in the next week.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 15:52:35 Reply

-free bus rides

- A ticket for public transportation (which includes busses, regional trains, underground, etc.) for the whole city of Hamburg and some of the suburban areas (which is a pretty big area. To get from one end to the other you'll have to travel a few hours)
- Discounts on many things, like cinema, certain clubs, subscriptions to various newspapers and magazins, etc.
- Cheap food in the cafeteria

That are the most important ones I think.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Tluck-Person
Tluck-Person
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 16:19:28 Reply

Hmmm, so in the event that I could not get to sleep at a proper time last night, I tried to stay up all night so I could stay awake for my calculus exam at 11:45 AM Eastern Time. Hmm, it's 4:20 and I totally just skipped the exam. You know what? I'm not even gonna try to make it up or anything, because I know I was already failing the class regardless of the exam.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 17:20:29 Reply

One more piece of coursework to get finished before term ends on the 19th December. I don't actually want the holidays to come, because I've had a really good term and it'll be weird being away from my flatmates for so long.

BBS Signature
Sammeh
Sammeh
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 17:30:32 Reply

Well, I don't go to college, but I intend to. Personally, I don't know what the fuck to do or what I'm good at either. I'm good at English, Art, History, German and to some extent Physics. I really want to take A level physics but unfortunately I probably need a B in maths to do so. At the level I'm working at, I'm looking at a C grade for maths because I suck at it.

The problem is, I don't know what kind of job I could even get. The stuff I'm good at is relatively incoherent. It really does make me appreciate my childhood years. I hadn't a care in the world.

my opinion = fact

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-10 17:41:50 Reply

Can I join? It's just that I have a test tomorrow, and this seems like an ironic way to put off revising.
I'm doing a Masters in maths at the University of Leicester, currently in my second year.

I find that maths is quite an easy course if you have a good knowledge of maths from A-Levels. I'm currently managing to blag my way through the course with minimal work, whereas my friends doing wordy subjects find themselves with essays every fortnight or so that remove them from any social event for a while. Even my physicist friend has shit loads of work he has to do.
Saying this though, I'm probably the only one of my friends who hasn't gone out drinking tonight, due to this fucking test.

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 06:46:16 Reply

At 12/10/08 05:30 PM, Dsmano wrote: The problem is, I don't know what kind of job I could even get. It really does make me appreciate my childhood years. I hadn't a care in the world.

You're only fourteen, you are in the best times of your life, you still don't have a care in the world. If you don't have a specific long term goal (ie: doctor) then don't worry, and just take life as it comes. Don't worry about what you want to do in uni until the end of lower sixth.
You should be more interested in what you want to do for A-levels.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 07:36:59 Reply

At 12/7/08 03:15 PM, reverend wrote:
I don't think my car would make the trip, but in reality you can just PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll see if I can help.

I'm just going to take it myself. I'm going to spend a lot of the day studying and just see what happens during the final. When I do fail I will just try to take it again next year with a new teacher (all the other classes have a higher passing percentage than this teacher has) or I will try and take it online and transfer the credits.

At 12/7/08 08:26 PM, Randy74 wrote:
People in college are definitely more mature.

Hmm, I will agree with this part for the most part... Ha, but I do have to admit that I've seen many people, which are a very big step down in terms of maturity here in college. I've seen a lot of kids that clearly got their own way the entire time while living with their parents and now that couldn't act mature if they had to.

At 12/8/08 05:13 PM, Timmy wrote: This sounds like a fun club. Even if I've already gotten my bachelors, can I still join?

No you can't actually. I dislike you and everything about you. Jackass. <3

You're always welcome. ;)

Just off of the top of my head. (I know there are a lot more than this)

Free concerts, art shows, entertainment, etc...

Free Trolley system that takes you around campus.

Free Rec. Center, swimming pool, weight rooms, gyms, etc...

Any home sporting event is free

----------

To anyone asking to join the club feel free to join. I'm going to be gone for Xmas break for about a month, but I will try to catch up as much as I can in the club a couple of times in the month. Happy Holidays to everyone just in case I can't say this later.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 07:46:15 Reply

I don't think I get any, apart from free buses between campus and halls.

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 08:22:44 Reply

At 12/11/08 07:36 AM, Corky52 wrote: I'm just going to take it myself. I'm going to spend a lot of the day studying and just see what happens during the final. . . .

Out of curiosity, what course is it that's causing you so much misery?

You got to love Dead week; trying to cram a semester amount of learning into one week in hopes of just passing (in my case usually). However, the one thing I always kept in mind, is that no matter what happens during finals week it will be over. Whatever happen, happens I always say.

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 08:24:25 Reply

At 12/11/08 07:46 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I don't think I get any, apart from free buses between campus and halls.

I get fuck all. I had to buy a £200 arriva bus pass for the awful bus service between uni and halls last year.

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 08:25:55 Reply

At 12/11/08 08:22 AM, reverend wrote:
Out of curiosity, what course is it that's causing you so much misery?

You got to love Dead week; trying to cram a semester amount of learning into one week in hopes of just passing (in my case usually). However, the one thing I always kept in mind, is that no matter what happens during finals week it will be over. Whatever happen, happens I always say.

It's just the basic Introduction to Economics class that we have. The only difference between this Economics teacher and the rest of them at our college is that he teaches it like we understand Economics or like it's not an introduction class. (Something I wish I understood before I chose him) He assumes that we already understand everything and to be honest around half of the class is failing, but yet he gives no curve for some reason.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 08:30:18 Reply

At 12/11/08 08:24 AM, HeartbreakHoldout wrote:
At 12/11/08 07:46 AM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: I don't think I get any, apart from free buses between campus and halls.
I get fuck all. I had to buy a £200 arriva bus pass for the awful bus service between uni and halls last year.

I walk anyway.

S'only fifteen minutes and the buses are shite.

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 09:42:57 Reply

Any clubs, or activities in college that you recommend?

life
life
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2008-12-11 10:03:02 Reply

Anyone here majoring in psychology?

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature