New Topic Respond to this Topic
Aliensandwich
Aliensandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Artist
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 02:04 AM Reply

College has been pretty great for me so far. The best tip I have for anyone is to SOCIALIZE!

BBS Signature
ngfan14
ngfan14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 02:51 AM Reply

At 9/18/11 02:04 AM, Finalfina wrote: Which classes are you taking?

I'm taking Chem1, Calculus w/ Precal review, Writing 10 (advanced english), and Computer sci 15

My academic advisor recommended that I only take three classes so I'm in Internet Technology and Society, Intro Computer Science I, and Math 2B (calculus). I have to take chemistry sometime this year so I might take it next year.

At 9/18/11 02:04 AM, Aliensandwich wrote: College has been pretty great for me so far. The best tip I have for anyone is to SOCIALIZE!

That's what I'm having the most trouble with right now. I'll work on it though.

Last.FM | I like comments. :3 | Awesome sig made by Life-Stream

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 03:32 AM Reply

At 9/18/11 01:45 AM, ngfan14 wrote: I barely moved into my university today. And I start class on Thursday. I was just wondering if anyone else still hasn't started college since it feels so weird starting this late. Most of my friends who went to different colleges started a while ago.

I have friends who are moving in this weekend. They've started a full month after me and they tell me all the time that it has been killing them to hear me talk about how cool college is while they're stuck at home.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 05:56 AM Reply

I've been back for a week now and I have some friends who aren't starting back until October. Although I know that their university's exams don't finish until later in the year. I think I prefer starting back in September if it means I get to finish earlier in the summer.

I'm already counting down until the Christmas holidays. 12 weeks left or something but there's three exams for me at the end of that. Going to have to skip a couple days at the start of next semester as well because I plan to attend the Newgrounds Manchester Meet for the second time. Just hope I don't have to skip anything important to do so.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
UnknownFear
UnknownFear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 08:17 AM Reply

Just a heads up on my semester so far. For Linux, I'm already ahead of the class by one lab so I'm pretty good there. ASP, still waiting for feedback on lab 2, done lab 1 in Windows which was just the installation of Windows Server 2008 and some basic configuration, and it was done in class. Hardware, I guess I'm progressing. We finally have a lab teacher because there is a strike and we didn't have a lab class for awhile, but we now have one and they combined both lab 1 and 2 which was power supplies and motherboards and components. Pretty easy stuff :)

ngfan14
ngfan14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 06:04 PM Reply

Yesterday I had to reset my router and go into the settings to turn it into an access point or something. That was probably the most annoying and frustrating thing I've done in college so far. It took me about an hour since I've never messed with routers before and my friends had no idea what to do.

At 9/18/11 03:32 AM, ZJ wrote: I have friends who are moving in this weekend. They've started a full month after me and they tell me all the time that it has been killing them to hear me talk about how cool college is while they're stuck at home.

Now that I'm here at college, I wish I had started sooner! It's way better than just being lazy at home all summer. I didn't realize how much different it would be living on your own compared to living with your parents.

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 08:33 PM Reply

I have a friend who will just be moving into the University of Chicago this weekend ngfan, so you're not alone.

And so far, like most everyone here it seems, college has been treating me well. And what's more, what I find so great is I'm so much more motivated. Maybe it's finally clicked that this is important, or maybe it's the thousands of dollars it represents as an investment. And all that has it's role I'm sure, but I think that the real deciding factor is this:

In college, whether you sink or swim is up to you.

Through high school, whether it was in the form of teachers or parents, there was someone looking over your shoulder; it seems paradoxical that when that's gone, I for one am actually doing far and away better. Though there's more pressure on me, somehow knowing that what happens here on out is to a great degree in my hands is kind of liberating.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 18th, 2011 @ 08:41 PM Reply

At 9/18/11 08:33 PM, Patton3 wrote:
Through high school, whether it was in the form of teachers or parents, there was someone looking over your shoulder; it seems paradoxical that when that's gone, I for one am actually doing far and away better. Though there's more pressure on me, somehow knowing that what happens here on out is to a great degree in my hands is kind of liberating.

You should read this article. It mimics what you're saying and is brilliant.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 19th, 2011 @ 01:18 PM Reply

Ugh... I have an essay about the current stereotype of "beauty."

Luckly, i have you guys to keep my occupied.

Thank you Ryan for the AWESOME sig!
REDESIGN FINALLY!! YESSSS!!! | MLP: FiM Crew | Anime Club

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 19th, 2011 @ 03:33 PM Reply

At 9/19/11 01:18 PM, Finalfina wrote: Ugh... I have an essay about the current stereotype of "beauty."

I have an essay to write about the history of logic. It doesn't seem like something that would have a history you could easily write about and I don't really see how it's relevant to what I'm doing anyway, but whatever, I've got to do it.

I've not had to write an essay for a long time, seeing as this is a computer science degree so it's probably going to be hard to get back into. Only 1000 words required though, although I can't even think how many pages that would take me.

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 19th, 2011 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 9/19/11 03:33 PM, Dean wrote:
I've not had to write an essay for a long time, seeing as this is a computer science degree so it's probably going to be hard to get back into. Only 1000 words required though, although I can't even think how many pages that would take me.

Well, if its double spaced, i believe it will be four pages. Maybe four and a half. Thats cool that you are a CS major. Im doing Human Bio.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 19th, 2011 @ 08:46 PM Reply

Things in college that piss me off: When a professor tells me that I should've talked to them earlier about review for a test during class when I emailed them over the weekend in advanced to avoid rushing them. It's like they don't even read what I'm sending to them.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 19th, 2011 @ 08:58 PM Reply

At 9/19/11 08:46 PM, ZJ wrote: Things in college that piss me off: When a professor tells me that I should've talked to them earlier about review for a test during class when I emailed them over the weekend in advanced to avoid rushing them. It's like they don't even read what I'm sending to them.

Ugh... i hate when this happens... Then they start saying things like, "you know my office hours, why didnt you just come to me then?" Then i say, "Because i had a fuckin class you dolt..." I definitely feel for you on this one bro...

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 20th, 2011 @ 08:01 AM Reply

At 9/16/11 05:03 PM, Haggard wrote: Maybe next semester I can finally start with my diploma thesis.

So, yesterday I had a small conversation with a guy who offers to review the diploma thesis. I applyed for the topic "alternatives to domain name systems", which seems to be quite interesting. Now I only have to get all the paperwork done and I guess I can start writing the thesis in october. :)

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 20th, 2011 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 9/20/11 06:33 AM, Ejit wrote: NO!

I just started getting nervous for the first time, I go to uni on Friday. I'm a bit anxious about house mates and I'm not yet sure whether I'm sharing a room or not.

I don't know any universities in the UK that have shared rooms. You might share a toilet, and you'll definitely share a kitchen, but you'll have your own room.

I'm not looking forward to the desperately social types trying to make friends with everyone, I guess because I'm not the sort to make such an obvious effort, I just feel self conscious and a little bit pathetic. Of course I want to make friends, especially in my house but I really don't enjoy all the introductions and awkward small talk. "Hey, I'm Jack. What's your course? Cool! Where do you live? I live near there - cool!"

There's no obligation to be insanely social. I went out with friends at MOST once a week. Some people will go out every night, especially early on, but I couldn't think of anything worse.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
HeartbreakHoldout
HeartbreakHoldout
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 20th, 2011 @ 12:41 PM Reply

At 9/20/11 06:33 AM, Ejit wrote: I guess I'm looking forward to it though.

Is it your first year? There's so many people around it's impossible to not make friends.

At 9/20/11 12:22 PM, TheMaster wrote: I don't know any universities in the UK that have shared rooms. You might share a toilet, and you'll definitely share a kitchen, but you'll have your own room.

I had to share a room in first year. Was a lot more bearable than I thought it'd be, though.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 20th, 2011 @ 03:28 PM Reply

At 9/20/11 08:01 AM, Haggard wrote: I applyed for the topic "alternatives to domain name systems", which seems to be quite interesting.

Interesting alright but I'd have no idea where to begin with that.

For my artificial intelligence module we have to go a presentation in a few weeks, but we don't get to choose who is in our presentation groups. We just have to pick three titles that we wouldn't mind doing and then the lecturer will group people based on their preferences. I hate giving presentation, and because it's a class of around 60 people, I am shitting it.

As for you Ejit, I guess moving 350 miles away or whatever it was would be a little daunting but you'll be alright. You'll always have me :3

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 07:22 AM Reply

At 9/20/11 03:28 PM, Dean wrote:
At 9/20/11 08:01 AM, Haggard wrote: I applyed for the topic "alternatives to domain name systems", which seems to be quite interesting.
Interesting alright but I'd have no idea where to begin with that.

Easy enough with a history of the current DNS system. ^^
Also, there's plenty of source material and then, one thing leads to another. It's not that I have to implement something myself, I just have to give some kind of overview over the current status quo and state my opinion to the alternatives.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 07:21 PM Reply

I'm just sittin here...... waiting for my Calc class to start... I hate the professor for this course. I know that i knew the material for the first few chapters. We take a chapter test and what happens? I get a 30/50. I know that is completely wrong. I knew the material. Hell, i even STUDIED! I plan on bringing it up at some point after or during class. Turns out a lot of people got severely low scores...

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 09:12 PM Reply

Anyone in the UK ever actually buy an NUS Extra card? My uni seems to really be pushing them this year. Got a bunch of shit through the door today about the freshers/refreshers week and almost every bit of paper in the envelope had something about them on it. I've never come across a single situation where student discount is offered that I've not been granted with just my uni ID card.

BBS Signature
ngfan14
ngfan14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 09:46 PM Reply

At 9/20/11 12:22 PM, TheMaster wrote: I don't know any universities in the UK that have shared rooms. You might share a toilet, and you'll definitely share a kitchen, but you'll have your own room.

Universities in the UK don't share rooms? That sounds kind of lame. Everyone that I've talked to at my university that has a single room complains about it being boring. I guess it's cool since you can do whatever you want to your room but it just doesn't seem as fun.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 9/21/11 09:46 PM, ngfan14 wrote:
Universities in the UK don't share rooms? That sounds kind of lame. Everyone that I've talked to at my university that has a single room complains about it being boring. I guess it's cool since you can do whatever you want to your room but it just doesn't seem as fun.

It's not like you can't leave your room, it's not a prison (although there was a running joke that the rooms in the old block of my college were smaller than a standard prison cell). I can't think of anything worse than having to share a room. I hated sharing a hallway and kitchen with people, don't know what the fuck I'd have done if I had to share a room too.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 21st, 2011 @ 11:27 PM Reply

Hahaha. The dudes in my residence hall are funny guys.

College Life Club

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Finalfina
Finalfina
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 23rd, 2011 @ 12:53 AM Reply

So i get to go to Six Flags tomorrow with the Gay-Straight Alliance at my college! It's gunna be a shit load of fun!

Are any of you in various clubs?

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 23rd, 2011 @ 03:50 AM Reply

At 9/23/11 12:53 AM, Finalfina wrote: So i get to go to Six Flags tomorrow with the Gay-Straight Alliance at my college! It's gunna be a shit load of fun!

I'm currently involved with my school's gaming club and Japanese culture club. I'm also a member of the table tennis team and dodgeball team. So, yeah, I'm getting around.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 23rd, 2011 @ 10:01 AM Reply

I don't think I ever actually joined any clubs or societies. They seemed to have a high presence early on in the year when they were trying to attract new members, but now I never hear anyone talk about most of the societies that I originally saw. Perhaps they do still exist but I never spend much time in the student union building which probably explains why I never hear of them now.

Taking Monday and Tuesday off this coming week due to a couple of my lectures being cancelled. I've only been back 2 weeks and already had 3 days off.

BBS Signature
ngfan14
ngfan14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Sep. 24th, 2011 @ 02:22 AM Reply

At 9/21/11 11:27 PM, ZJ wrote: Hahaha. The dudes in my residence hall are funny guys.

They call you ZJ?

At 9/23/11 12:53 AM, Finalfina wrote: So i get to go to Six Flags tomorrow with the Gay-Straight Alliance at my college! It's gunna be a shit load of fun!

Gay-Straight Alliance? Is that exactly like it sounds? Well it sounds like a cool club. I wouldn't mind joining a club like that but I wouldn't have time to get involved in it. Have fun at Six Flags. :)

I'm currently in the running club. I just love running and it's great since I don't actually have to show up to any of the club meetings/runs but they still consider me a part of it.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 24th, 2011 @ 04:14 AM Reply

At 9/24/11 02:22 AM, ngfan14 wrote:
At 9/21/11 11:27 PM, ZJ wrote: Hahaha. The dudes in my residence hall are funny guys.
They call you ZJ?

A lot of people do. The name originated in the real world when my friends started calling me by my initials. "ZJ" is short for Zach Jones.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
SomaGuye
SomaGuye
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to College Life Club Sep. 24th, 2011 @ 04:16 PM Reply

I'm supposed to be packing since I move in tomorrow but I don't actually know what I should bring.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Sep. 24th, 2011 @ 04:19 PM Reply

At 9/24/11 04:16 PM, SomaGuye wrote: I'm supposed to be packing since I move in tomorrow but I don't actually know what I should bring.

Pot Noodles and a kettle?

BBS Signature