Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-21 01:45:12 Reply

At 8/21/11 01:25 AM, ZJ wrote:
In other news, I got a dry erase board for my dorm room door. It's pretty sweet.

I had one of those freshman year. It faced out so people saw drawings as they walked by. I would draw faces from Egoraptor and HappyHarry cartoons, Morshu (of CD-I fame), and various other slightly obscene things. Douchebags would come by and erase them though. >:(

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-21 17:02:20 Reply

Well, tomorrow's the day.

Though I'm wondering, my school keeps emphasizing that for every hour in class, you should probably study about three hours. I'm going to try to adhere, because honestly, through high school, I slacked off and college is an opportunity to ensure those habits die.

So how do you all work in studying? Break it up into chunks of a couple hours, use study groups? I plan on using the library which ought to make the time I spend more efficient, but I want to go into the first week with a good head on my shoulders.

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-21 17:45:27 Reply

At 8/21/11 05:02 PM, Patton3 wrote: So how do you all work in studying? Break it up into chunks of a couple hours, use study groups? I plan on using the library which ought to make the time I spend more efficient, but I want to go into the first week with a good head on my shoulders.

I suppose it depends on your subject how you study. I get set problem questions each week, the average score of which makes up 15% of my final grade, and they're hard, so my studying is generally just working out how to solve these each week.

I also like to turn my lecture notes into shorter notes that I can use for quick reference for future problems or whatever. Just actually shortening them usually helps me memorise stuff.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-21 23:34:38 Reply

At 8/20/11 10:17 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: My (very odd) schedule is as follows:

I might as well post my schedule here too:

Great Ideas in Western Music (MWF from 10:10 in the morning till 11:00)
World History Until 1500 (MWF from 11:15 in the morning until noon)
Intensive Beginner's Spanish (MWF 2:15 in the afternoon until 3:20)
Field Botany (Tuesdays and Thursdays from (9:30 in the morning until 12:15)
Advanced College Composition (2:15 in the afternoon until 3:30)

I'm not sure how to feel about these classes yet. Hopefully I'll know about the first three by tomorrow, though!

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 00:17:18 Reply

At 8/20/11 12:50 AM, ZJ wrote:
Oh and here's a picture of one of the residence halls at my campus. The whole place looks like this. It's pretty.

Impressive. This is the residence hall I'm staying in this year. Nothing fancy, but it has a nice plaza out front and a very convenient location on campus, being close to buildings in which I have my classes and a dining facility, which is important for when winter arrives and I don't feel like walking outside in below freezing temperatures.

College Life Club

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 01:28:49 Reply

At 8/22/11 12:17 AM, Chumbawamba wrote: Nothing fancy

Looks fancier than all of my dorms....

BBS Signature
SpeedMetalSandwich
SpeedMetalSandwich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 02:02:09 Reply

I don't know if I should envy those of you who live on campus...or if I should be happy that I can drive back home after the day is over. I guess US/UK universities are a lot different than Australian ones, though.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 06:30:02 Reply

At 8/22/11 02:02 AM, SpeedMetalSandwich wrote: I don't know if I should envy those of you who live on campus...or if I should be happy that I can drive back home after the day is over. I guess US/UK universities are a lot different than Australian ones, though.

I lived on campus during the first year and it was quite fun I guess, although I was under the legal drinking age at the time which meant I couldn't get served at the university bars which sucked. Now I live about an hour away from campus by bus, so I take that back and forth every day. Being able to live at home, I think, is good for the most part because it's far cheaper for me and I generally have a better quality of life compared to what I'd have living in some little flat in the city.

At the same time though, staying at home takes away part of the university experience. I think it would be quite fun to have a flat in the city or just generally live in the city. It would leave me in debt though and I'd probably have to work AND study, which is something I'd like to avoid as long as possible.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 09:08:01 Reply

Well, I'm getting ready for my first class, it's in like an hour. I have to admit, I like the dorm I'm in more than last year, even though last year I was living in a suite. That's probably because I'm living with a good friend of mine, as opposed to 3 random people.

So yeah, I suppose I'll just kill some time, until this whole "class" thing happens.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
sumguy720
sumguy720
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 09:39:45 Reply

At 8/22/11 12:17 AM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 8/20/11 12:50 AM, ZJ wrote:
Oh and here's a picture of one of the residence halls at my campus. The whole place looks like this. It's pretty.
Impressive. This is the residence hall I'm staying in this year. Nothing fancy, but it has a nice plaza out front and a very convenient location on campus, being close to buildings in which I have my classes and a dining facility, which is important for when winter arrives and I don't feel like walking outside in below freezing temperatures.

Oh hey, we go to the same university. I've chosen to live off campus though, it's a lot more affordable in most cases - if you don't mind the commute in for class. The buses around here are free too so that's pretty simple.

My house:
Nice neighborhood too.

College Life Club

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 20:40:59 Reply

At 8/22/11 09:39 AM, sumguy720 wrote: Oh hey, we go to the same university. I've chosen to live off campus though, it's a lot more affordable in most cases - if you don't mind the commute in for class. The buses around here are free too so that's pretty simple.

My house:
Nice neighborhood too.

Oh wow, never thought I'd meet someone who goes to UMaine who actively goes to Newgrounds. I take it you're a senior as well? I was going to live off campus this year, but never got around to making arrangements with my then girlfriend about an apartment--I suppose it was best that I did ultimately live on campus, otherwise it would likely be a bit awkward now.

I also see from your profile that you're a physics major. I took PHY 111/112 last year, and really enjoyed it. I had Frank Dudish, not sure if you've had him in any classes; I think he may only teach introductory level courses, but I'm not sure. Great guy, but a lot of people didn't seem to like his cheery attitude at 8 in the morning.

Are you from around Orono? I spent about nine weeks there this summer for an internship at EMMC, and it is a beautiful area when there isn't two feet of snow covering the ground.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-22 21:54:32 Reply

At 8/21/11 11:34 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/20/11 10:17 PM, Hybrid-Of-Souls wrote: My (very odd) schedule is as follows:
I might as well post my schedule here too:

Great Ideas in Western Music (MWF from 10:10 in the morning till 11:00)

This class is going to give me headaches, I can already tell. My computer won't work with the mandatory software on a disc that the class uses. >:( I don't know how I'm going to resolve this problem.

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
Patton3
Patton3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 01:32:52 Reply

At 8/21/11 05:45 PM, TheMaster wrote: I suppose it depends on your subject how you study. I get set problem questions each week, the average score of which makes up 15% of my final grade, and they're hard, so my studying is generally just working out how to solve these each week.

I also like to turn my lecture notes into shorter notes that I can use for quick reference for future problems or whatever. Just actually shortening them usually helps me memorize stuff.

Well, having at least had my classes now, I'm thinking they might have averaged all college classes. If I have to study three hours for every hour I'm in Introduction to Communications or Communicating with Statistics, something is very seriously wrong.

I do, however, like the idea of taking the notes from class or the reading and condensing them. I think I might try that in History or German.

And just to go along with the crowd, I'm living off campus, but here's a picture of the Wills family bridge connecting the dorms and the main campus.

I suppose you know you attend a community college when the most notable thing on campus is a bridge over Crescent Avenue.

College Life Club

If life gives you lemons, read the fine print; chances are, there's a monthly fee attached.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 10:23:55 Reply

Really annoyed with my new timetable. It's awful. Tuesdays, for example, I only have class from 9:15 - 11:15 which might sound great to some people, but it's not when you're stuck on campus from 9-5 because of the bus you need to get home.

It's pretty much the same situation on Mondays as well, only 12:15 - 2:15 is when I'm in class. I also finish at 1:15 on Wednesdays too. I was expecting only a 4 day timetable this semester, but no, they pointlessly spread class across multiple days when I'm sure it could have been easily avoidable. Pisses me off.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 10:44:46 Reply

At 8/24/11 10:23 AM, Dean wrote: Really annoyed with my new timetable. It's awful. Tuesdays, for example, I only have class from 9:15 - 11:15 which might sound great to some people, but it's not when you're stuck on campus from 9-5 because of the bus you need to get home.

Think about it this way - now you have that time to study in the library. ;)

Since none of you besides Dean knows who I am, I am finishing my last year of HS and I would like to know what is a good SAT score to get for most colleges. I'm trying to shoot for 1700... and the last one I got was 1500. My GPA is rougly above 3.0, and I'm going to do my best to raise it to 3.4-3.6 this year. (If Possible).

As for colleges, I am looking into Berklee in Boston, Oberlin in Ohio, and possibly UC Berkeley. I plan on majoring Electronic Producion & Design and Music Business Management. If any of you know other colleges that have strong music departments in these areas, please let me know.

lel

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 13:24:33 Reply

Just got my timetable. It's pretty cool. 2 days per week off, I've never even had 1 before.

Monday:
11:15-12:15 - Plasma Physics
14:15-15:15 - Quantum Mechanics II
16:15-17:15 - Thermodynamics

Tuesday:
10:15-11:15 - Quantum Mechanics II
11:15-12:15 - Thermodynamics
12:15-13:15 - Electromagnetism III
13:15-14:15 - Physical Optics
14:15-15:15 - Experimental Techniques

Wednesday:
nothing

Thursday:
nothing

Friday:
13:15-14:15 - Experimental Techniques
16:15-17:15 - Physical Optics

Tuesday is horrific, but I'm pleased with the rest.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 18:26:23 Reply

Just put a Space Jam poster up in my dorm room. Lol.

God, I'm a nerd.

College Life Club

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 18:40:55 Reply

At 8/24/11 06:26 PM, ZJ wrote:
God, I'm a nerd.

I think you misspelt "baller"

BBS Signature
Chumbawamba
Chumbawamba
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 18:58:21 Reply

At 8/24/11 09:41 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: I've finished the first 2 days and afterward my classes just repeat (minus my communications course, still haven't got the damn book). Most of the workload doesn't seem too stressful, but some of my profs are kinda....eh, don't know the word.

Just wait until exam time rolls around. While professors don't intend on giving out exams simultaneously, more often than not, they're confined to the same time period as other classes and give the same number of exams, so their schedules often coincide. Unless, of course, you are an art student.

I walked into astronomy

Hell yeah, I'm taking astronomy as well. My professor has excellent reviews, and even wrote the textbook we use for class.

At 8/24/11 10:44 AM, Sequenced wrote: Since none of you besides Dean knows who I am, I am finishing my last year of HS and I would like to know what is a good SAT score to get for most colleges.

While I can't tell you the criteria your preferred colleges look for, I do know that an increasing number of colleges don't bother looking at SAT scores. I'm sure if you look on their websites, they will mention something involved in their screening processes. Having a high GPA is certainly going to be something they like.

At 8/24/11 01:24 PM, TheMaster wrote: Quantum Mechanics II
Physical Optics

Jealous.

I'm pretty content with my schedule:

Monday:
nothing

Tuesday:
11:00-12:15 - Cellular Biology
2:00-3:15 - Introduction to Astronomy
3:30-5:30 - Histology

Wednesday:
1:10-5:00 - Histology Lab

Thursday:
11:00-12:15 - Cellular Biology
2:00-3:15 - Introduction to Astronomy

Friday:
nothing

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 19:46:45 Reply

At 8/24/11 06:40 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote:
At 8/24/11 06:26 PM, ZJ wrote:
God, I'm a nerd.
I think you misspelt "baller"

DO THESE LOOK LIKE THE POSTERS OF A "BALLER" TO YOU!!?!?!?!

College Life Club

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 19:53:59 Reply

Starting my first day of community college. Am I going to die?

Also, how the FUCK does an online RODP course work?

BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 20:10:21 Reply

jesus christ that room's like a billion times bigger than my room in halls in uni, how big is it (in terms of how many single beds would fit in it)?

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 20:29:09 Reply

At 8/24/11 10:44 AM, Sequenced wrote: As for colleges, I am looking into Berklee in Boston, Oberlin in Ohio, and possibly UC Berkeley. I plan on majoring Electronic Producion & Design and Music Business Management. If any of you know other colleges that have strong music departments in these areas, please let me know.

The college I go to has music management, but not electronic production per se. I am a sound engineering arts major (which is part of the music program). As a music student myself, I would say do not go to Berklee unless they give you a TON of scholarship money. It's incredibly expensive to go there (close to $56k a year) and they cut about half of the freshman class after the first year. Not to say it's a bad school, it's the number one school for music, but unless they give you a lot of money, you're better off elsewhere.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-24 20:59:07 Reply

At 8/24/11 08:10 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: jesus christ that room's like a billion times bigger than my room in halls in uni, how big is it (in terms of how many single beds would fit in it)?

Are you talking to me? Because if you are, you are mistaken. My room is not that big...

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-25 05:25:45 Reply

At 8/24/11 08:59 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 8/24/11 08:10 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: jesus christ that room's like a billion times bigger than my room in halls in uni, how big is it (in terms of how many single beds would fit in it)?
Are you talking to me? Because if you are, you are mistaken. My room is not that big...

yeah man,, idk maybe its just the angle, my room in first year was a bed, a desk, and a door pretty much. No floorspace except along the side of the bed and round the corner slightly.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-26 02:10:59 Reply

At 8/26/11 12:28 AM, agustana wrote: Did anyone here Go Greek their first year?

I'm wondering this, too. Statistics from a college says that the frat boys and girls are the minority, but everyone I've encountered is in one!

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
Kunera
Kunera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-26 09:43:15 Reply

At 8/26/11 12:28 AM, agustana wrote: Did anyone here Go Greek their first year?

I didn't my first year. I still haven't, and while I haven't completely decided to avoid fraternities, I'm not actively looking to get involved in one. Things might change, but that's for the future, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey guys, you should totally check out my YouTube channel.
Also, dat Steam

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-26 10:59:04 Reply

At 8/24/11 06:58 PM, Chumbawamba wrote:
At 8/24/11 01:24 PM, TheMaster wrote: Quantum Mechanics II
Physical Optics
Jealous.

Jealous of optics?

I hated my first year course. Didn't understand shit. Scored like 14% in the final exam, but thankfully nothing in the first year counts towards my overall grade, so it doesn't harm me.

That's probably the module I'm least looking forward to.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-26 13:28:37 Reply

At 8/24/11 07:53 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Starting my first day of community college. Am I going to die?

Also, how the FUCK does an online RODP course work?

Heh. Sorry kid, only real college kids are allowed to post her. You need to get yourself to the Community College Life Club. :P

College Life Club

Sig by Luis - AMA

BBS Signature
zachdamacman
zachdamacman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club 2011-08-26 14:00:50 Reply

I just started college this week. I've gotta say, it's pretty awesome. Plus, the student life commitee has people here that do things like give out free cotton candy and have those games like they have at the fair. Plus, the classes are great.

TEHNON BBS: Need a break from the NG forums? «YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO CLICK ON IT.
The NGPD: To Blam And Protect!
Sig by Me.

BBS Signature