New Topic Respond to this Topic
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club Dec. 4th, 2008 @ 04:43 PM Reply

Uniforms? Hah! I don't know a single person in state education who wore a uniform to sixth form. Besides, I had classes everyday in 6th form anyway, and so did everyone else.

Anyway, for your UCAS, you'll find some universities don't respond at all until the window has closed, so that they can be fair and reasonable and fuck you over waiting for them to respond.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 4th, 2008 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 12/4/08 04:43 PM, BananaBreadMuffin wrote: Uniforms? Hah! I don't know a single person in state education who wore a uniform to sixth form. Besides, I had classes everyday in 6th form anyway, and so did everyone else.

The only one near enough to me for me to have feasibly gone to has uniforms and I know people who have no lessons some days, and still have to go in at 9 in the morning to get registered, although they're allowed to go back home after that.

At college, I get Monday off (except I've been going in for these biology resit revision classes from 3:30 - 4:15, but they finish at Christmas), and I'm only in 11:00-1:30 on Wednesdays.

I have a mate who's first lesson of the week is Tuesday afternoon, has the same Wednesday as me, is in all Thursday and then is only in Friday morning, and he's still going to come out of this with 3 A-Levels. The cunt.

Anyway, for your UCAS, you'll find some universities don't respond at all until the window has closed, so that they can be fair and reasonable and fuck you over waiting for them to respond.

Yeah, Durham and York, my first and second choices, both do this. It'd just be nice to get a slightly lower one from one of the other 3 early, you know? Just so if I do cock up the exams I know I've got something to fall back on.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club Dec. 4th, 2008 @ 05:07 PM Reply

By the time you make your first and insurance UCAS choices you should probably know pretty accurately what you're going to get in your exams, I did, and Birmingham was the best place out of my six that I honestly believed I could get in to with a reasonable margin for error. I also got an offer for so'ton (or possibly kent, i forget) for 320 points, as in, two Bs and an A, but thought that i just can't risk not getting that A and then being bummed over.

NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 07:51 AM Reply

Gave in my coursework, feels good.

Also, I got back my mark from a previous piece of coursework yesterday, and I got a very strong A, which I'm pleased about. Hopefully the piece I've just given in will turn out to be as good.

Got another piece of coursework due in on the 15th December, and my presentation has been moved to Wednesday instead of today, which is a blessing.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 07:52 AM Reply

Thanks for the explanation BBM.

So today will be the final time that I'm in my Elementary Education class. All I have to do is show up and hand in a project and then leave. The other two classes that I have today are just reviewing for exams, so it should be a pretty easy day overall.

I do have to make cheat sheets for my two math finals. We are allowed to use the front and back of a piece of regular sized paper and put anything we want on them. Those will probably take the rest of the day, but it's not like it's hard work just copying notes down.

BBS Signature
Tluck-Person
Tluck-Person
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 08:15 AM Reply

Might as well join, as this seems interesting. I am attending the University at Buffalo and am currently majoring in computer engineering. Unfortunately, I am completely lost in computer science portion of the program, so that may cause me to switch. If anyone wants to help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Schedule for the next week includes:
Today: The last day of classes for the semester
Monday: Chemistry for Engineers Exam
Tuesday: Computer Science for Intendant Majors Exam
Tuesday: World Civilizations Exam
Wednesday: Calculus I Exam
Thursday: English Portfolio (1 Research Paper and 2 other papers)

And then I'll be on my winter break.

I think...I hate... dick.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 08:20 AM Reply

Just been reading the Postgraduate prospectus for my university, and there are some crazy motherfuckers in there. One guy who did a PhD at the School of Law here already had 3 other Masters degrees. Shit.

And I thought doing one Masters degree would be taxing enough.

BBS Signature
DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 11:09 AM Reply

Well I'm planning on going to the University of Toledo next year. I'm planning on majoring in Computer Science and Engineering.

I have a question for you guys I scored a 20 on the ACT during the summer and I'm planning on taking it in Febuary. I'm aiming between a 23 to a 28. Now my question is will they accept the new ACT score before they decide on accepting me or not. Please note that it takes about eight weeks to see grades for the people who took the test at least; I don't know about schools though.

Also any ideas on whating I'm getting in to would help. Like good party habits, social gatherings of some sort or whatever would be much apppreciated.

RohantheBarbarian
RohantheBarbarian
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 11:09 AM Reply

At 12/5/08 07:52 AM, Corky52 wrote: I do have to make cheat sheets for my two math finals. We are allowed to use the front and back of a piece of regular sized paper and put anything we want on them. Those will probably take the rest of the day, but it's not like it's hard work just copying notes down.

Really? You're actually allowed to put notes and stuff on them and bring them into the exam with you? That is really weird. Does it balance out by them being very difficult or what? Sorry about all the questions, it just seems unorthodox to me.

DELUCA2400
DELUCA2400
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 11:15 AM Reply

At 12/5/08 11:09 AM, RohantheBarbarian wrote:
At 12/5/08 07:52 AM, Corky52 wrote: I do have to make cheat sheets for my two math finals. We are allowed to use the front and back of a piece of regular sized paper and put anything we want on them. Those will probably take the rest of the day, but it's not like it's hard work just copying notes down.
Really? You're actually allowed to put notes and stuff on them and bring them into the exam with you? That is really weird. Does it balance out by them being very difficult or what? Sorry about all the questions, it just seems unorthodox to me.

Ususally that tactic is used for memorization purposes. You see once you read through your notes you pick between stuff you do and don't remember to go on your cheat sheet and once you read and write the things which you have forgotten on the cheat sheet you have a much better chance of remembering and you might not even use your cheat sheet for the test.

My physics teacher let us use a cheat sheet for tests and it worked well for me memorization wise. Except for those dreaded "box on a hill" problems

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 12/5/08 11:15 AM, DELUCA2400 wrote:
At 12/5/08 11:09 AM, RohantheBarbarian wrote:

They aren't that difficult at all really. It's just the fact that you have to remember so many formulas and everything that he allows you to write them down. His thought is that if you get a question wrong because you can't remember the formula, but you really do know how to do it then it isn't really that fair. And vice versa, if you can't do it without the formula right in front of you then you don't know how to do it at all and deserve to get it wrong.

Ususally that tactic is used for memorization purposes. You see once you read through your notes you pick between stuff you do and don't remember to go on your cheat sheet and once you read and write the things which you have forgotten on the cheat sheet you have a much better chance of remembering and you might not even use your cheat sheet for the test.

That's what he tells us it's for and it's true. I end up writing half of the stuff down that I don't remember and then on top of that I only use the cheat sheet for half of the stuff that I wrote down so just in the act of making the cheat sheet you end up learning most of the stuff or reminding yourself of almost everything.

My physics teacher let us use a cheat sheet for tests and it worked well for me memorization wise. Except for those dreaded "box on a hill" problems

You will see it a lot in classes like math. I really wish I could use one for my Economics class. Even though I really don't understand half of the questions anyway so the cheat sheet might not help me out that much.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 03:50 PM Reply

Well, been house-hunting for a flat for my second year today. After all the drama of trying to work out who wants to be in a flat with who next year, I found three of my friends, we decided to stick together, and fuck everyone else who didn't know what was going on.

All of the houses we saw today weren't bad, 15-20 mins from uni, at around £68pppw (per person per week), although a couple of them were clearly better/worse than each other. I guess we'll look at some more houses next week and see if any jump out, but the whole of the student area is going to be fairly similar, I guess. It's all terraced houses built around the same time, at least.

blashfas

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 07:41 PM Reply

I've thought about an apartment for awhile. I like it here in the dorms, I really do, but the apartment is just the next step to freedom. That of course means I need to get a job, something that I haven't had for awhile. I honestly can't imagine having a job on top of having to study and doing projects and stuff like that, but I'm sure I could manage it.

Well like most nights I do have to do some work. I have to make some study guides and I will probably try to get those done tonight so I can do whatever I want tomorrow.

BBS Signature
BananaBreadMuffin
BananaBreadMuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Audiophile
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 09:04 PM Reply

Apartments are so much cheaper than my halls, I'm paying £4800 (!) for a single year here, where I'd be paying significantly less in an apartment. I don't see any reason not to get an apartment in the second year really. :\\\\\\\

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 09:38 PM Reply

I dropped out of UMass. Not smart enough. It's a really nice school though, lot of friendly people and a huge library.

BBS Signature
NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 5th, 2008 @ 09:47 PM Reply

hrmm, seems like a bunch of good users are joining, you I guess I will ask to join. I'm in 8th grade right now, so I have 5 years to decide, but I'm torn between two great colleges - if I get accepted into them, that is.

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

NoPurchaseNecessary
NoPurchaseNecessary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 06:30 AM Reply

Sounds like fun here. I'm currently attending Kennesaw State University and I'm on the books for majoring in Psychology, but I'm debating switching to Linguistics. I love languages. I want to learn as many as possible. That, and I really don't think I could handle dealing with crazies the rest of my life.

Just have two more finals on Tuesday and I'm done for winter break, yaaay.

Master of the single entendre.

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 10:17 AM Reply

At 12/5/08 09:38 PM, SapphireLight wrote: I dropped out of UMass. Not smart enough. It's a really nice school though, lot of friendly people and a huge library.

You sure you weren't smart enough? Or didn't you give enough time to your studies and everything to get stuff done?

At 12/5/08 09:47 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote: hrmm, seems like a bunch of good users are joining, you I guess I will ask to join. I'm in 8th grade right now, so I have 5 years to decide, but I'm torn between two great colleges - if I get accepted into them, that is.

Yeah that's fine. You still have a long time before you have to really think about college, but where are the places that you were interested in?

At 12/6/08 06:30 AM, NoPurchaseNecessary wrote:
Just have two more finals on Tuesday and I'm done for winter break, yaaay.

You are lucky with the ways that your finals are set up. I have 1 Monday, 1 Tuesday, 1 Thursday, and 1 Friday meaning I can't go home until the very end of the week.

BBS Signature
Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 11:24 AM Reply

I probably should have just gone straight to college after finishing my junior year in high school because I got so damn lazy in my senior year that now I'm procrastinating whenever I have some free time. 3 big projects due on Monday, and I know I'll just put them off till the last couple of hours of Sunday night.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

NeonFlame126
NeonFlame126
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 12:22 PM Reply

At 12/6/08 10:17 AM, Corky52 wrote: Yeah that's fine. You still have a long time before you have to really think about college, but where are the places that you were interested in?

thanks, the two biggest places I'm interested in are The University of Marlyand(1), and Boston College(2). I was born in Maryland and UMD has always been my #1, but if I don't get in I'm thinking of BC. I'm Irish and Boston has more Irish people in it than Dublin, according to some. I know family near both colleges and I'd love to go to either. Anyone have any preferences/experience with either?

You can't spell FÜHRER without Ü
"You know you fail in life when you fail to end your failure"

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 12:40 PM Reply

Just had a typical college moment. Waking up the day after excessive drinking to a hangover. Ugh, it has been far too long since I've done that. It was a fun time though I had. I was hanging out in my friends room all night with some other friends. I always have more fun when I hang out with friends at their apartments rather than if we go out to bars. The noisy atmosphere and overpaying of drinks is never as good as some good quality time with them. I suppose this could go into the alcoholics club but I felt the story emphasized the friendships of college more than the alcohol consumed.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 6th, 2008 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 12/6/08 11:24 AM, Fleshlight wrote: I probably should have just gone straight to college after finishing my junior year in high school because I got so damn lazy in my senior year that now I'm procrastinating whenever I have some free time. 3 big projects due on Monday, and I know I'll just put them off till the last couple of hours of Sunday night.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I almost always wait until the last minute to do my stuff. I'm a lot better at it this year than I was last year, but there is still a great room for improvement.

At 12/6/08 12:22 PM, NeonFlame126 wrote:
thanks, the two biggest places I'm interested in are The University of Marlyand(1), and Boston College(2). I was born in Maryland and UMD has always been my #1, but if I don't get in I'm thinking of BC. I'm Irish and Boston has more Irish people in it than Dublin, according to some. I know family near both colleges and I'd love to go to either. Anyone have any preferences/experience with either?

The biggest thing with my decision in picking colleges was the price of the college. University of Maryland charges $21,163 for residents and $36,234 for non residents. That's just tuition, that's not all of the other things that they charge.

Boston College costs around $47,139 a year. Both way out of my league in terms of price. At Lock Haven I (and when I say I, I mean my parents) pay around $6,000 dollars a year including my grants.

At 12/6/08 12:40 PM, 36Holla wrote: Just had a typical college moment. Waking up the day after excessive drinking to a hangover. Ugh, it has been far too long since I've done that. It was a fun time though I had. I was hanging out in my friends room all night with some other friends. I always have more fun when I hang out with friends at their apartments rather than if we go out to bars. The noisy atmosphere and overpaying of drinks is never as good as some good quality time with them. I suppose this could go into the alcoholics club but I felt the story emphasized the friendships of college more than the alcohol consumed.

That's something that I thought about with this club. That most of the good stories are alcohol related and there is already a club for that. I do have some good stories though that I will end up telling here in a couple of days.

BBS Signature
ikool
ikool
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 02:55 AM Reply

Hi guys... mind if I join? I'm a Gr.12er preparing for university. I get a good A average and was worried about student loans =S.

Did any of you guys get scholarships or anything when you were goin to collage/ uni?

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature
Tluck-Person
Tluck-Person
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 03:00 AM Reply

At 12/7/08 02:55 AM, ikool wrote: Hi guys... mind if I join? I'm a Gr.12er preparing for university. I get a good A average and was worried about student loans =S.

Did any of you guys get scholarships or anything when you were goin to collage/ uni?

Nope, but my college was pretty cheap. It's about 6,000 a year for in-state residents, 9,000 for non-state, not including room and board, which is what really kills you. Right now I'm commuting to Buffalo, but I'm gonna get the real college experience and dorm next year. I'm gonna have to pull loans out of my ass to do it, but I need to get out of this hell-hole I call home.

And by the way, make sure that on your college essays, you used better grammar than what you just posted with.... just sayin'.

I think...I hate... dick.

BBS Signature
NoPurchaseNecessary
NoPurchaseNecessary
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 03:44 AM Reply

At 12/7/08 02:55 AM, ikool wrote: Hi guys... mind if I join? I'm a Gr.12er preparing for university. I get a good A average and was worried about student loans =S.

Heck yeah. In my state, we got the HOPE scholarship. As long as you leave high school with at least a B average and keep it up in college, they'll pay most if not all of your tuition every semester.

Master of the single entendre.

BBS Signature
reverend
reverend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 03:47 AM Reply

I guess I'll join. I just graduated from the University of Oklahoma this past summer with a Bachelors of Arts in Economics. When I started, I was a Civil Engineering major but Calculus IV and Differential Equations really kicked my ass in my junior year so I switched. I really want to go to Grad school but money and gpa (as far as a good school) is really stopping me.

At 12/7/08 02:55 AM, ikool wrote: Did any of you guys get scholarships or anything when you were goin to collage/ uni?

The first thing you need to do this spring is to fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) here
When I went to college, I was able to get the full amount for the PELL Grant and some Federal Stafford Loans which has better rate than banks offer to help pay for school. The rest that wasn't cover by the government, was covered by the school in need-based grants and my tribe. Talk with your counselor or the university's admission department and they can help you out.

Rev 22:20 || Wi/Ht? # 46 || Why was my review deleted? || Without her, we are lifeless satellites drifting.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 07:19 AM Reply

At 12/6/08 06:16 PM, Corky52 wrote: At Lock Haven I (and when I say I, I mean my parents) pay around $6,000 dollars a year including my grants.

Is it common for people's parents to financially support their kids through university in the states?

In the UK, most students apply for a student loan and have to support themselves. I kinda prefer that to being financially dependant upon my parents if I'm honest.

BBS Signature
Piromano
Piromano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Musician
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 07:53 AM Reply

This club looks great, so I'll join.

I'm studying in Universidad Abierta Interamericana (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and I Major in MEDICINE.

If you don't know, in Argentina we have "National" universities which are free, and "private" universities which are not free. I'm in a private one :P
The reason? I dind't get to pass the entry exam. So I decided to enter in a private one (because I dind't want to wait A YEAR to tro to pass the exam again)

The career is not easy, indeed.
At first, I had some problems with exams, which were too hard to me.
But I get used to it, and now next year I' beggining THIRD YEAR of career (of 6+expecialitation)

So yeah...

Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 10:20 AM Reply

Yeah, that's fine. You can join. I also had a A average in high school. I had around a 97% average in all of my classes me senior year and was still ranked around 30th in my class.

I was offered a $40,000 scholarship to go play football in Alfred. The scholarship wasn't for football, but the coach pulled some strings for me to get another scholarship. I decided not to go since it was going to still going to cost more than where I'm going now and it was just too far away. Even though there were I could be starting outside linebacker for a good football team I'm now here where the coach wouldn't allow me to try out for the football team because I'm too small and they haven't won a game in years.

For where I'm going now it costs around $12,000 a year for a resident and I received around $6,000 dollars worth of grants that I don't have to pay back. I didn't get any loans because I didn't want to have to pay it back afterwards.

At 12/7/08 03:47 AM, reverend wrote: I guess I'll join. I just graduated from the University of Oklahoma this past summer with a Bachelors of Arts in Economics.

Ah, I wish I could borrow you for a little bit and let you take my Economics exam that I have Friday. I really don't understand the subject that much. I'm sure the teacher wouldn't know the difference. You want to come over and pretend to be me and take this test? I can pay for gas and an extra 100 to 200 dollars perhaps. =P

At 12/7/08 07:19 AM, NEVR wrote:
Is it common for people's parents to financially support their kids through university in the states?

In the UK, most students apply for a student loan and have to support themselves. I kinda prefer that to being financially dependant upon my parents if I'm honest.

Yeah, I say it's about half and half here. To be honest my parents can afford it without taking any hits financially really. For reasons that I won't post on the BBS my dad makes quite a lot of money under the table and my mother is a nurse.

Also, I plan on paying them back whenever I settle down and have the money to do so. It will all be payed back eventually.

At 12/7/08 07:53 AM, Piromano wrote: This club looks great, so I'll join.

Sounds good.

I'm studying in Universidad Abierta Interamericana (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and I Major in MEDICINE.

If you don't know, in Argentina we have "National" universities which are free, and "private" universities which are not free. I'm in a private one :P
The reason? I dind't get to pass the entry exam. So I decided to enter in a private one (because I dind't want to wait A YEAR to tro to pass the exam again)

So would you say that the free ones are harder to get into? Like you have to take an entry exam to get into the free one or you could just pay to get into the private one?

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to College Life Club Dec. 7th, 2008 @ 10:48 AM Reply

I might pop in here every now and then if I think on. Currently at college and heading to Uni next year. Put five down but I'm really only interested in two or three. Northumbria and Leeds are at the top of my list. Looking to do Journalism there.

Need 280 UCAS points and a B in English to do it at Northumbria and something similar to do it at Leeds. Works out roughly at two B's and a D. Got a B and a C in Media and ICT last year, so I'm hopeful I can acheive that again at A2, although the C will probably slip down to a D because the course is shaping up to be very difficult. Screwed up in English last year thought and got a D so I'm resiting two exams in January and really need to average out at a B (got a high B in one already so two C's should hopefully sort that out) and then do the same with this years exams. Problem is it's all on stuff I'm terrible at. Poetry and Wuthering Heights :/

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature